Mom wants to help son detox
My 25 yr old son is addicted to pain killers to get high.  He has lost everything except me.....and wants to detox.  He has done an assessment but can't get into a state inpatient rehab program for 2 months.  Can I help him detox at home and how?
Hi and welcome. It really depends on what hes taking and the amount and where he gets them. There are ways like tapering. This can work but does take time. As the drug lessons in his system the less the withdrawals are. The withdrawals are the key. Minimize them and maximise the chances of quiting.
Like Life said...
It would be helpful to give some more info (if in fact you have some more info) relating to how long he had been taking them.
Your son is lucky to have you and you are lucky that he did not push you away as so many addicts usually do.

Have you heard of AA and NA meetings.  While he is waiting to be admitted take him to as many of those as you can so he can learn from other addicts their stories and get him use to opening up a little about it.  At most meetings you can go with him as a supporter and that will tighten yours and his bond and it will show him how much you want this for him.
Hi Poohbear,
My husband and I have gone thru the same thing with our 20 year old son.  We finally got an interventionist to help us get him to a rehab place.  It is not a state supported rehab, and it is going to cost us a bit....but they do take our insurance and that helps.  Please consider calling an interventionist.  I'm  not sure which state you live in, but there is a really good rehab place in GA.    Also,  please go to an Al anon meeting!  They help a LOT!!!!