Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
My Spouse is Addicted to Several Types of Prescription Medication.

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

I have been with my spouse for 4 years now. He was addicted to Lortab and Xanax, but stopped as soon as we met. I thought I had changed him, but within the past year or so I've discovered that he has gotten back into the drugs heavily. He has stolen over $10,000 from his family's company to buy them, has taken out several secret credit cards in my name, and has even taken out cash advances to support the habit. We lost our apartment because he was not paying the rent as he had said, and are living with his parents. His mother and I confronted him about it, but he denies it. He has also been recently creating his own form of the drug Etizolam, similar to xanax. He has tried to kill me several times while on this horrible substance. I am wondering if it is worth staying to help him at this point. How can I go about getting him out of this situation? I love him with all of my heart, but this is becoming a constant struggle in my life that I have grown weary of fighting. Please give me advice as to what I can do to help him as well as myself. Thanks.
From the little you shared, you and his patents need to cut him off. You all are paying for his consequences. It sounds cruel, but it may just save his life. If he says he doesn't want help, don't give him any, none. No food, no shelter, no money, absolutely cut him off. All of you have to do it at once. At his level of addiction, he may come to his senses real fast and crawl back asking for help. Then you can support him totally, but he has to do the work and do it for himself. I had to scare myself straight. The last time I almost died my wife refused to give me CPR again. I finally asked for help and our family is getting better and better now. Tough love is often the best people can do, very hard to do, but it saved my life for sure. Sorry I don't have an easier answer.
I agree with weaver..Addiction is a serious disease. It has a lot to do with the Brain..He can only do this for him self. If he would only admit he has a SERIOUS problem then maybe he could go into Treatment..That is only the first candle on the Cake..He will have to change People, Places and Things in his Life so he will not be Triggered into using.
What you can do is get all the Videos and information you can about this Addiction..You can type it up and you will see alot..I got a video called the "Diseases of Addiction and the Pleasure Pathway beyond Willpower". I also have a lot of info printed out from Addiction Drs. I myself am the Addict in my Family but this info helped them to understand and give me time to heal during my Detox and the Support I need now. I wish you the Best and just know it has NOTHING to do with you or any of his Family..We love to blame it on everything and everybody other then us.
Bless
I'm sorry but is that really how you want to live your life? I understand addiction is a disease but everyone has a choice and so do you. Leave him and make when he's sober you can try again..sometimes tuff love is the best love.