Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
My husband is addicted to Hydrocodone

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

My husband is addicted to Hydrocodone

My husband has been addicted to hydrocodone for about a year.  On several occasions he has quit and gone through the awful withdraws. But he always goes back to taking them a week later.  I now know when he is taking them, because he gets major mood swings.  He also drinks with them.  I don't know what to do anymore. Does any one have any advice?
Hi , Welcome to this site .
You can want to help but really its your husbands addiction . He must be the one who is ready to quit .
Sounds like he can get pills if he wants them . When we detox for weeks or months we will have weak min's and think about wanting pills . If pills are there we will take them .
Ask him to read other peoples posts her on this site .
When he's ready have him post Quiting hydrocodone how do i do this .He will get the help advise and support of many , people who have been addicted and are now pill free thanks to others who helped them here on this site . This site works and has helped many . You just need to be tired of the pills running your life , Tired of waking up sick , 2-4 hour mood swings . Want your feeling good life back real bad.
He can do this , Lot's of others have .
4 1/2 months ago i took my last hydro ( 10x10mg a day)  . Thanks to the help i received here i have my life back , feel good waking up and like to do things again that i had lost interest in while addicted .
Life is good again . Ron

Hi and welcome. Most of us answering you have been there and its not an easy thing to stop as the body has become dependent and craves the pill.
Does he have a script for these or street buying?
What worked for me was going on a taper program with my doctors help. Its a slow process but can be effective. The less taken, the less is in the body and greatly reduces the withdrawals. .
If he has access to these from the street, then this will only work if your husband is determined to stop and is completly cut off from the dealers. This is where your greatest help can come from. Cutting his access.
Not too much you can do for him until his using runs it course. You mentioned he's gone thru detox, so I hope he's close to really getting clean. it sounds like it to me. I'm a recovering addict and when I was using i knew it was bad and wrong, nobody ever needed to tell me, I was reminded every morning when I awoke and headed for the pill bottle in half-withdrawal. I was doing exactly what he's now doing; drinking and using Hydro. The Hydro enabled me to drink and still feel energetic. But the lows were pure hell!
Now, for you. You have your life and you're entitled to still live it. You might want to look into the nearest Al-anon meetings in your area. It's folks exactly like you, with loved ones in addiction. I go, even though my daughter has been clean for 9 years. It's great fellowship, and you won't feel alone and overwhelmed with the burden of your husband's actions.
Keep posting, and venting. It helps. Best of luck to you.
thanks for all the information guys

http://www.doltuku.co
http://www.haii.co
Thanks for all the info and encouragement.  I took my husband to talk to our doctor Friday.  The doctor gave him some medication to help ease the detox process.  He has been on this process since Saturday. The medication has really helped.  But he still isn't back to himself yet.  But he is getting there.  I just wanted to update everyone that has given me support.  I really feel like it will stick this time.  Just keep us in your thoughts and prayers.
Glad you husband is doing better.  You may want to look into some professional counseling for him.  Someone to keep him accountable other than you.