My partner is addicted to pain pills.
My partner injured her knee in May of 2012.  She is self employeed, so cannot afford insurance.  She copes with the pain by taking Hydrocodone.  She has been diagnosed with depression as well as ADHD.  She has shown the typical signs of an addiction: Dr. Shopping, extreme aggitation when she is about to run out, extreme hi/lo's, poor memory, dialated pupils (?), sleepiness.  I confronted her once with my concerns, to no avail.  I again confronted her (just this past week) and she admitted to lying to me, getting her pills from other sources, abusing the prescriptions, and admitted she has a problem.  She claims she will see her doctor this week and I will be with her.  My concerns are supporting her in this--which I will, but I don't know what to do with my anger, resentment, hurt, mistrust--my feelings.  Any suggestions out there?
Hi and welcome to the forum,
You will find alot of support on here but sometimes it may take a little while, be patient.  Yes it does sound to me like she is addicted.  I don't question that.  At least she is telling you about her problem and she obviously trusts you.  In many cases when confronted the addict lashes out in anger and it is very hard to get anything done.  Also with her mental illnesses she has a few more obstacles than some to overcome.  I warn most people not to get into a codependant relationship with the suffering addict but if she trusts you, and it sounds like she does, you can possibly help her.  Keep this in mind, however, it is not her fault.  Let go of the anger, read some of the posts on the Addiction Substance Abuse forum and see how this could end up if it goes on.  There are some strong, scared people on there who want recovery.

Approach your friend with patience and compassion because as soon as you loose that trust, you have lost your edge in helping her.  I understand the trust issues that you have. It is ok to check her eyes from time to time but don't always think that she is trying to pull one over on you.  She is in a viscious cycle and now is the time to stop it.  You may not trust her but it sounds like she trusts you....

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Larry
Thank you.