Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
My wife the pain pill addict

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

My wife the pain pill addict

For years my wife has been addicted to prescription pain pills.  I thought she had finally beat it only to find out she has been using again.  I told her the last time if she continued to use I would be forced to take her off my health insurance plan.  I feel like a jerk and I would feel even worse if she became ill and could not afford to go to the doctor.  On the other hand I don't want to be a part in helping her kill herself.  Any guidance.
Welcome to you.....wanted to also let you know about a forum here on MedHelp called "Living with an Addict" where you may want to post and read some.  Those are people who are in your shoes....actually wondering what to do or not do......in specific situations that come up when you love an addict.

I am not only a recoverying addict, I have A LOT of family members both immediate and extended that are alcoholics or addicts.  So, my first thought when I read your post was how much to you know about addiction?

There is a great web site that has many articles, short videos, answers to A LOT of questions about addiction...if you just put "hbo.com/addiction" into your search engine you should be able to read A LOT and it will help you understand that which you cannot understand if you haven't been educated about this illness.

Another thought I have.....I realize you don't want to "enable" your wife's addiction, but there are other ways you can draw boundaries, give ultimatums, etc. without taking her off your medical insurance.  In fact, should she agree to get medical help from a detox facility, an inpatient facility, outpatient program, addiction therapy, on and on.....having the blessing of Health Insurance would be a HUGE benefit.

I know at two separate times in my VERY long marriage lol, my hubby and I separated (not divorced), but lived separately because the insane merry-go-round in our lives was neverending.....and one of us had to get off or else nothing would ever change.  Cause as addicts, we generally do NOT change until it gets too painful NOT to change.

There are also website that would bless you and support you at Al-Anon.org and .com and also Nar-Anon.  They have fabulous support and info to help as you consider what action you want to take here.

In my opinion, there are ultimatiums you could give her....new boundaries that you set.....and follow thru on that may allow the "consequences of her choices" to have to be delt with.  Like I said, being cut off from medical insurance may do more harm than good if she gets to the place she is willing to get some help.  Cause then, she truly will have more opportunities to get help for her addiction.  
Glad you posted.....toot around the other forums too......and bless you~
I so DITTO What cleanks said..I study the "Disease of Addiction" and have vidoes and the reading...It helped my Husband understand more about it..He watched it over a few times..he also gave me time to heal..He was there for me all the way...The detox stage is just the beginning..There is alot more to this addiction that meets the eyes..Aftercare from Support Groups becomes a life saver...I do wish you well..Please find the info..Then you can help her to get a good taper plan going with the DR..But she has to want to do it..No one can make this choice for her...
vickie