Need some advice
I having dating my boyfriend for almost 10 months now. He is addicted to pills and is currently trying to stop. He is planning on going to an outpatient program and getting help. We do currently live together. I have never dealt with this before. I am currently looking to get my self help on how to be supportive and understanding during his program. I have been stressed out and starting to shut myself down by not talking. He is aware of how I feel about the pills. Can anyone help give me advice on how to go about being supportive and still remain a couple in the process. Thank you in advance for your help,
Hi and sorry what your going through. Much depends on the kind of pills he is taking and for how long, and access to getting more, as these can add to the withdrawals. Withdrawals are the battle ground as the body has become dependant which affects the mind to stop the unsusal symptoms which leads to taking again. This is not an easy thing for either of you to go through.
The best support to me would to be instramental in spur heading his ending. If you leave just to him, he may never quit if he has access to getting more pills. Getting more pills is the biggest part to overcome. The supply has to be cut off. You say he is currently trying to stop and mention he is "planning" to go to outpatient. these are the questions that cause anxiety and prolong the experience.
find some al-anon meetings...they will help you.