Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
Out of patience.

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Out of patience.

Ok,I have a question.Ive been married for 26 years and my husband was injured on the job in 06.We have had 4 surgeons(maybe 5,Ive lost count)refuse to touch his back because of the severity of the injury.Therefore he has become addicted to opiates.Strong opiates.So what do I do when I see my husband,whom I love dearly,just deteriorate right in front of me?He has become so detached from life that is saddens me,ergo,I become so depressed.We have zero life.It revolves around once a month doc visits.I do the majority of everything.Scratch that,I do everything and I am becoming quite bitter.I know its for better or worse but Im wearing down,fast.
Just know your not alone.  Please make sure you help yourself, I am in the same situation and it can get ugly.  You should try to go to AlAnon if you can.

My prayers are with you.
Very sorry to hear about your plight. I'm in recovery myself after abusing pain pills. It seems nothing can be done for your husband. If he hurts he needs something for pain. All you can do is allow him the dignity to be who he is and put the focus on you. I agree, an al-anon support group will help you out quite a bit. Just simply sharing with others who have an addicted loved one at home can really be therapeutic. I went to al-anon for 14 years because of my daughter's addiction. She's now been clean 9 years, but i'll still pop into a meeting every now and then. It's a great fellowship.