Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
Prescription pain med addiction

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Prescription pain med addiction

I don't even know where to begin.  My husband has been on prescription pain killers since I met him over 11 years ago.  He is now taking 60 morphine(30mg pills) and 90 vicodin(500mg pills) on a monthly basis.  Sometimes he runs out and can't even make it 30 days.  His doctor (VA clinic) continues to prescribe both along with sleeping pills and anti-depressants.  If you ask me - it's overkill for sure!  He is angry all the time and has frequent outbursts of physical anger.  He is absolutely miserable to be around.  He can snap from calm and charming to angry and threatening and back again all in a matter of minutes.  I have reached the end.  I don't know how to help him and he insists its not the meds and that I don't understand the pain he is in.  He blames me for his outbursts saying I 'push' him until he explodes.  He has trouble concentrating for even 2-3 minutes which makes any conversation  Has anyone successfully helped someone realize the harm they are causing themselves and everyone around them?  How do I get the doctor to stop prescribing - you'd think if anyone would know - he would?!
Hi and welcome. Why are they being prescribed in the first place, was he have a battle injury?
Hi Carjam, Welcome to Medhelp. I'm sorry that you're family is suffering from addiction. Do you have any children?  You mentioned in another post that your husband suffers form PTSD from the Gulf War ~ Is he receiving any therapy through the Vet Hospital?  You also mentioned that you have received blows to the head, is this from your husband's temper? If so, this is right out of hand, and you need to deal with this from a position of safety. I know it's hard to rat out your man, after being there for him through thick and thin, but if you're in harms way, you're first priority must be to get to safety.  He likely going to need rehab for his prescription dependency. Does he have coverage for rehab? He's in denial saying that it's you that's making him "act" a certain way. He probably no longer has any idea what pain he's in, the pain he's feeling is exacerbated by the withdrawal symptoms. You need help. You can't manage this for him. t's way past that now. Have you ever gone to Alanon? A support group for families of addicts? You may be able to get to one online, for a start, but I think you need the hugs right about now, and the hometown support. Please message me if you need to talk. I'm an addict, and have been clean and sober, for just about 5000 days now, along with my husband. All things are possible, in recovery. Your husband just has to get past his denial and he's on his way. Now you have to deal with what's happening now, until you get there. You've done the right thing coming here for support. Yes, his doctor should be informed, but, if that's a danger to YOU, then you need to first get to a safe place. Do you mind me asking, how did you get the blows to your head? Are you going to seek medical attention? Maybe it should be on record? I'm here if you want to talk via personal message. Please stay tough, and go the distance. You can and will be happy. Just keep saying it to yourself. This nightmare will end. xo Liz
I am so sorry you are going through this. My husband is doing the same thing and acting exactly the same. I'm also fed up. He says its me. He doesn't touch me, he barely talks to me, unless he screams. He says its because I'm a *****. But I only fuss because I hate what he's doing. He's tearing this family apart and it seems like he could care less. I LOVE him so much but I hate the man he has become. I have no idea what to do. I feel like divorce just isn't an answer but now I'm not so sure. I hope everything works out for you. Hang in there.