Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
Son in jail

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Son in jail

My son was arrested for a DUI and possession of heroin which is his drug.
This was a violation of his probation and he will most likely be away for minimum
Of 6 months.  My ? Is from anyone who has been there or knows of addicts what
Do you think his chances are once he is released.
Thank you
If he gets clean inside then it's a good chance,
But like any addict no matter if your clean or not first thing that crosses your mind on release is to score your first fix,
So you really need to find a good rehabilitation program he can attend straight away,

It can really be hard, I for once only lasted 3 days in rehab, jumped out the windows,
But finally now sorting my act out...
Hi & Welcome,

Jails are typically not notorious for being good treatment centers or rehabilitation facilities. They are designed as a form of punishment for breaking the law. That being said, SOME today are realizing that there is an epidemic prescription pain abuse problem in this country and they are beginning to introduce treatment programs. I suppose it depends on where he goes. You can contact the facility and ask what they offer. I assume if he is going for six months he will be in county jail? It may be a bit more difficult for them to offer any type of treatment because people are coming and going. But again, start from the start and give them a call.

I pray that it all works out for both of you. Let us know how things are going.
I'm not sure what state your in but if he's only looking at 6 months for dui and possesion on heroin he should consider himself lucky. A lot of jails and prisons will offer H&I's (hospitals and institutions) where people from AA and NA come into the facility and bring a meeting to the inmates. When I was in prison I attended these and now I'm on the other end going in and providing the meetings. Some inmates may be required to go but not many usually are, at least around here. But, I have seen soooo many people spend a couple years in prison, and they weren't sober/recovering, they were just dry, then the day they got out they used and quite a few of them died. (Happened to my ex girlfriend just last month). However, he needs to take advantage of whatever help he can get in the facility and then immediately seek rehab or aftercare and meetings upon his release if he is to succeed. What it all comes down to is willingness though, recovery is for people who want it not people who need it. If he's decided that he's had enough and wants to have a better life, then he has a foundation to work on. I wish you both the best,
    -Jeff