Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
Stolen RX Pads

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Stolen RX Pads

A relative worked for a DR as a medical assistant.  She stole RX pads from him, using patient's names in order to obtain RX drugs for her drug habit.  The Pharmacy put two and two together and called the DR in to view the video in order to identify the person.  He claimed not to know her which was ludicrous since she worked for him.  I have a list of the doctors she worked for (quite a LONG list) but am hesitant to just start calling doctor's offices, asking if she worked there.  And if I DO just start calling doctor's offices, WHO in the office would be the best person to talk to in order to find out WHICH pharmacy was the one involved?  She's currently studying to become an RN.  She's not really someone who SHOULD be an RN, considering her "sticky fingers" and drug issues.  I've spoken with the local police but they weren't interested in pursuing it.
Why are you so interested in this?  Do you also work in the same office?
No.
I said she's a relative.
She needs help and she's not going to ask for it on her own.
I want her stopped before she becomes an RN and hurts someone else.
Until she does ask for help nothing will change.  This has to come from her.  I understand your concern and i hope she gets the help she needs but until she is ready to stop this there is nothing you can do.  
So, if you were in the hospital, would this person be the nurse you'd want caring for you?  Possibly stealing your meds for herself and you not getting the pain meds you needed?
No i wouldnt want a nurse like that.  All i am saying is you cant make her quit, she has to be the one to decide that.  Forcing someone who has an addiction only works for a short time.  We learn to play the game.  Have you talked to her about this?
So let me get this straight. You have a relative that needs help, and your idea of "helping" is to go to the cops, then when that doesn't work you go into investigative journalism mode to try to determine which pharmacy was involved. Both avenues of your "help" will lead her to jail.

It really sounds like you don't like this relative at all, maybe you are jealous is making something of herself by going to nursing school, maybe you are upset that the rest of the family is focused on her accomplishments. I don't doubt for one second that are are right about the pill problem, and no I would prefer not have a nurse working on me who may steal my pain meds.

But I sure as hell wouldn't want a relative doling out your kind of help.
What approaches have you taken to her directly about her doing this?
Yeah, something doesn't feel right about this?

You CAN'T save the world - until she realizes she has a problem, nothing will change.  And if she's bound for trouble with the law - she'll find it all on her own and won't need your help.
U sound vengeful.Not like some1that wants2HELP u seem like u want to just  have her locked up.If u do really want2help dont try2ruin her life and her career u need2deal w/her directly
I have to say I dont here  a feeling of conceren for her and her addicton. Most likely the doctor are NOT going to give you any infromation .If you want to help her perhaps you and your family could try an intvention to get her the help she needs.
I agree with avisg on doing an intervention, this would directly address the issue instead of trying to work around it and there are power in numbers :D  Sometimes we have to let things run their course.  You would be literally amazed at the luck of some addicts.  They get let go by police, they get away with things, etc.  And this happens all the time.  But eventually life catches up with them in some weird way and it doesn't always have to be our doing.  Keep us posted.  I know you have good intentions indeed but don't let this take time away from you.  If you want to do something positive, organize an intervention among family and friends.
What's wrong with you people.So let me get this straight because she feels the concern for worrie about a relative she is either jealous or vengeful. I have dealed with someone on drugs my whole life until about 5 years ago. That pretty much was doing the same thing this person is doing and time went on it got worse. I couldn't even trust they in my house because they would look threw the cabinets for any thing they could take to get high. My wife grandmother live with us and i can not count the number of times her meds came up missing. My mom lost her job because an RX pad came up missing 3 different times. I had thousands of dollars worth of hot checks wrote on me that where stolen from my closet. Now this person did everything to deserve to be locked up and the one chance i had to really help this person after all else failed i didn't because it ment taking there freedom away. So i didn't do it because i was scared this person would hate me and even though this person made my life a living hell i still loved them with all my heart. A few weeks after refusing to have my Dad put away to the one place that could of been his last chance of beating an addiction that controlled him he wad killed in a car wreck at the age of 45. The medical examiner said he had more prescription pain medicine in him then most people take in 2 weeks. I had to go ID my dads body after his van role over on him. Now looking back i ask myself everyday why didn't i help even if it ment sending him to jail. Yes i know jail is even a small chance i have seen tons of people go to prison or jail for long periods of time and still come out and done the same thing. At least I would know now that i tried to do all i could because even if he hated me today least he would maybe still be alive. Deep down i know my dad wanted help but sometimes the addiction had such a strong hold on a person life they feel like there is no help for them.
Point well taken. I am so very sorry for the loss of your dad. What a hard time that had to be. Your post has made an impact on my thinking here.
No I didn't say she was jealous I was implying that she hasn't taken any other steps such as talking2her,intervention etc. to me it seems that b4u go to the final step of taking away someone's who life,ruining there career etc try to help before u have to do the tough love.I'm so sorry for ur loss.I'm sure u all tried to talk to him did other things etc.I have a sister who was doing wrong things to get high on pills but we talked2her didn't work but we gave her an  ultimatum and after a couple weeks she went to rehab etc been clean almost a year now.We could have immediately ruined her life but we decided to try other things first.THIS WOMAN hasn't displayed any concern for her relative she simply decided to get her locked up+that's a last resort when u love someone not the1st thing u do.Why wouldn't the Dr who she stole rx pads from say it was  her in the video?That makes no sense either.This woman sounds spiteful not concerned.
I don't think she sounds spiteful I think if anything she reminds me of how desperate any of us can be when we are faced with dealing with addiction.  I think back for myself and some of the irrational things I did.  I would never do those now, I would let go and not focus so much on the insanity... but at the time I was knee deep in it.  That's the drama of addiction... how they are reacting is very real.  Some of us yell, some us fight, some us pray they get caught for once and for all... it's the roller coaster that we are on along with the addict.

Pochohontas.... I hope you come back and keep us updated.  We are all here for you.
I understand 100% what your saying and yes some of her post does sound spiteful. I agree that she does need to use her other options first. Glad to hear about your sister because that's a really hard for people to stay clean. People really don't realize even after the WD's are over how much of a mental fight it is to stat clean. My dad went in and out of rehabs but never would stay clean. I remember one time as a kid we were broke due to him buying pills on the street and no doctors would give him anymore. Out of desperation he poured boiling hot water down his leg and claimed he spilt it on him to get pain meds. Later on in life he told me he done that because when your a addict thats you first priority. The first thing you think about when you wake up is getting high & nothing else really matters to you but that. My dad wad great when he wasn't on the drugs and the few times he was clean. I miss him everyday and even after five years i still cry about it. The pain never really goes away i have just got good at hiding it. I feel so sorry for people how have to deal with issues like this. I really hope that girl gets help and yes tuff love is a last resort
  Like ur dad w/the water my sister dropped a paint can on her foot to go to the er.She was listed as a drug seeker  at emergency rooms in3-4different counties.It's so sad when it gets That bad
Hi,THE BEST REVENGE IS LIVING WELL.  All the other is going to get ya is a RAT!!Lable.  I better not tell you i Robbed a Bank!!!      YOURS TRULY NO COP CALLIN
Good one mookie.That actually was EXACTLY how I was feeling about the cop calling
mookie377 is totally right about that--- and I think anyone that has grown up affected by someone else's alcoholism or addiction will agree.  Using what we saw and experienced and making something entirely different from it is not only the "revenge" but a great way for us to finally resolve the issue... by breaking the pattern instead of continuing it.