Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
Update, Sober Living/Court

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Update, Sober Living/Court

Well friends, I'm finally back at home and have my feet firmly under me.  I haven't posted in a while so for the new people, my daughter is a heroin addict and 2012 was the worst year for our family.  With all the rehabs, relapses, court dates and arrests, ugh, I'm exhausted just thinking back...

Court went well.  The 12 class 4 felony manufacturing, distributing, possession charges were reduced to ONE class 5 felony possession plea.  She was given 2 years supervised probation, $1,500 fine plus court costs and 96 hours public service.  Her probation was transferred to another state.  She could have taken a diversion deal where if she stayed clean for 2 years and took classes, etc. charges would be totally dropped but she would have to stay in Colorado for that.  Everyone involved agreed that there would be no chance of her staying clean in that place with all her connections and triggers day in and day out so she chose the plea.  She has completed a 90 day extended rehab and hopefully this week she will move to sober living, at this point she is just waiting for a bed :-)  

I had been afraid to ask what the potential penalties could be for her original charges but the judge read it aloud in court, up to 10 years prison and $150,000 fine.  I couldn't help it, I cried when I heard.  Then she proceeded to tell my daughter that she is impressed she's taken the bull by the horns and been through so much treatment and she would hate to have her waste her life so she better stay clean because there will be no more chances.

The ********* abusers/drug buddies and their family were at court but upstairs for one of the "boys" hearings.  We managed to avoid them.  

The car is back on the east coast with us.  She may have it when she can afford to pay the payment on it and take some ownership. Her attitude was very, very good this trip.  Since she knew what the plea was going to be and accepted it the stress was gone and she was very grateful.  All her belongings are out of Colorado and she has no reason to return.

So, at this point things are looking up.  There have been a lot of ups and downs with her treatment but overall she realizes she needs it.  She told me a couple weeks ago that the rehab she's had has been the greatest thing for her and she wished everyone could have the opportunities she has had and that she has "found herself".  I realize it will never be over but we are still going in the right direction.  I'm praying you all will have some of the relief I feel at this point with your own loved ones.  Keep the faith, they are all on their own timetable but hopefully eventually it will click for them.

Jane
Hi and welcome back,

Don't know you really but I had to say that I am inspired and uplifted by the post.  I just got out of a 90 program.  I wish that everyone had the opportunity to do that because it is healing for the mind and you learn soooo much after a long period of time in treatment.  I know you are going to have good days and bad but I hope that you continue to have more good days than bad,
She was lucky to have your support through all this.  You must be a really strong person.  Come back and let us know how it is going when you get time....

Larry
Sounds like a great update, Jane!  How wonderful.  Sounds like the courts are really trying to work with her, that's great.  I don't think it does much good to put a drug addict in jail...honestly.  She will get much more help on the outside.  

I will continue to pray for your daughter.  I hope you're taking care of yourself hon!!  Best to you!
Oh Jane this is great news!!!  Now it is time to settle down and start living right??  Your not paying the fine for her are you?  This is something she needs to work out(just had to throw that in).  Your daughter is doing well now and continuing in her recovery so what are your plans to continue in yours?  You had to know i was going to ask all of this!!!

Larry,

I admire you!  You are on a roll, never forget where you came from but you can do this!  You really do have a lot to be proud of, keep building on it :-)

Jane
Sara,

I'm living alright, lol.  Everything I couldn't focus on last year I'm chipping away at now.  That's why I've disappeared, things (nothing bad) have just piled up and need attention.

About the fine, they gave her a payment plan, $200 per month.   She had a job and worked at it for 2 weeks and then when she pleaded to the felony they couldn't keep her on.  I'm thankful it wasn't due to something she has done recently.  She and her case manager assure me she is looking for another job aggressively.  We did pay this month's installment of the fine because that would get her extradited back to Colorado if it weren't paid, but as soon as she gets a paycheck its all hers.  

Another bit of good news, I just checked the jail roster and her main abuser is back in jail on 2nd degree burglary charges.  That's 2 out of 3!  Guarantee he is withdrawing in jail now.  He was being drug tested while out on probation but knows how to cheat that.  This should mean his probation on the original drug charges will be revoked doesn't it?  Now we just need his other brother to get caught again...he's on intensive supervised probation, it will happen.  He's not the brightest lightbulb and the other 2 brothers are occupied elsewhere now :-)

I hope things are going well with you Sara.  You have done so much to help me, you are my guardian angel <3

Jane
Those 2 brothers will self destruct on their own.  Let them go and focus on your life now.  None of you live in that mess anymore.  

Dont forget to stop and smell the roses along the way~
Sara,

You are so wise.  Thank you for caring.  <3
I was going to bring that up...and tell you not to waste your time worrying about those losers too...but sarah said it way better!!!  I AGREE~!  Up and onward dear!  :0)