Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
addiction

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

addiction

can suboxone kill you my newphew is 25 and he has tried everything just to get high ne needs help but he dosnt want the help , the has been on everything he is buying these tablets of his mates and he is crushing them down and then sniffing the crush tablet up his nose we cant talk 2 him he just lies and snaps , he has change so much and r family dont trust him as money has went missing from my mum and dads house , please dont say he needs help we have told him that and he thinks he dosnt .
"can suboxone kill you"

The short answer is, YES

"Overdosing on Suboxone can pose significant health risks and possibly lead to death"

http://www.opiates.com/suboxone/suboxone-overdose.html
____________________________________________________________

......."Buprenorphine is the active ingredient in Suboxone, Subutex, and Buprenex. Suboxone has an added ingredient called Naloxone. This was added to prevent abuse, and the Naloxone in Suboxone will allegedly cause immediate withdrawal if the Suboxone is injected or possibly snorted."........."Most people are unaware that Buprenorphine is a potent opioid with a strength 50 times greater than morphine".........

full article:

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Addiction/Suboxone-Subutex-FAQ-Part-One/show/14?cid=66
__________________________________________________________

When you snort pills they get into your system a lot faster than if you swallow them. Maybe get more of your family involved....an intervention type deal...

Good Luck
Yes it can kill u if u take way too much of it. Also naloxone blocks ALL other opiates. So if he tries to get high from something else it WILL NOT WORK. Thts how most ODs happen bc a person not familiar with suboxone will think its just to get high then the next night or day try something else and when it doesn't get them high they keep taking more and more to no success. So please talk to him about the dangers of suboxone if its not prescribed to him.
Buprenorphine does not cause respiratory suppression like other opioids, but is the second strongest opioid on the market. There is a ceiling effect of 32mg and is very difficult to od on. Overdoses, are from people mixing drugs with suboxone. A high dose will cause headaches, lightheaded, and detachment. I have not found any statistics or cases of suboxone causing death, if it happens, it is rare. That does not mean it is to be taken lightly. It is more common to abuse subs in Europe and Latin America, they are harder to get in North America, but illicit abuse is on the rise. Kick that boy on the street and hope he comes beggin for help. He has to learn a lesson, or he may just mix some methadone or heroine with the subs and die.
Yea b careful if subs n methadone are mixed n either is not completly out ur system, u go into instant AGONY(withdrawl (withdrawal)). Im not talking I feel crappy wd, I mean poop urslf, puke urself, hallucinate its the end of the world wd. It also depend on how much n how long he's using but still not cool. If he's trying everything n anything obviously something is missing. Talk to him as a friend let him know u wont judge. If something is wrong he doesnt need to self medicate. Maybe he needs a hug or a loving kick in the *** or "legal" medication. Whatever it is just let him know u have his back.
thank yous all for ur help we have tried to talk to him my nephew he is 25 his mum dies  years ago my sister and he has got worse , he yakes lycria and sniff that 15ml of diazpam,s 100 codamol , he also takes sleeping tablets on top of wwhat ever else he can get he dosnt drink he is just so of his head on medication drugs and other stuff he buys of his friends,. we have all talk to him my dad , which is dean granda has told dean that we r really worried about him , dean just says im ok well trying to say that as we cant make him out dean denys he takes anything , he just lies and lies we cant trust him anymore my mum and dad has tried and has talk to drs saying that he needs help it was a waste of time , he needs help , but dosnt want the help cause he dosnt think anything is wrong , he is just so selfish, and has stole of the family so he can buy his tablets my mum and dad r 71 dean nanny and granda , and they r not able for that i no he is my nephew but he is turning the family aganist him he is stealing of the ones that is good to him .
thank u so much as i say my sister died 3 years ago and we have been there for him but my sister even threw him out cause she was not well and was dying my sister just found out she had cancer and it was in stage 4 then 3weeks later she died, , and deanwas even stealing his owns mum morphine so how low can u go on ur own dying mother but he didnt care he rather want his needs sorted out 1st SELFISHHHHHHHHHHH PIGGGGGGGG lol
All that you say sounds like normal addictive behavior, sorry to say. There's not much you can do until he wants help. I would let him wallow in his own slop until he wants out of the pig pen. Let him know you will help when he wants it, but don't come around till then. It takes a lot for a person to get off opiates, there's now way you can do anything until he's ready. The more isolated and desperate he gets, the more likely he will realize he has a problem and needs help. He will continue to lie, cheat, and steal until then. I wish it was easier than that, but that's how it is for an addict. Don't let him bring you down with him, but help him up when he's ready. I'm sorry you are experiencing this. It creates a lot of guilt for us addicts when we realize who and what we have been. The NA book states that there are 3 destinations for those who do not get into recovery: jails, institutions, or death. Lets hope and pray he wants help before then.
thank u so much and everything u say is so true, i feel so sorry for my mum and dad they have lost there daughter , and think they have to b there for there grandchildren as they have always been , but dean is really kicking the *** out of it i have told my mum thats it no more doing his washing he gets it 2 easy , he comes up hi nanny and granda so false high out of his head my mum and dad dont have much but they would give u there last , my mum wont turn her bk on him my mum thinks she has 2 b there no matter what dean does , my mum thinks she would let my sister down as she promise my sister she would b there for her kidds but my mum and dad r 71 and they really dont need this , dean dad dosnt want 2 no him he has move on and is engaged to another woman , he dosnt bother with his children , it is hard 2 b there 4 dean when he is just using my mum and his granny and granda , but my mum is going to have to say dean i dont have it everyday he comes up with lies saying granny would u have a tenner i need to get something to eat , when my mum says stay 4 dinner he would say oh nanny i dont like that full of **** its just to get the money 2 buy tablets , his girl threw him out 7months ago as they have a we boy a 1year and a half and there was a morphine tablet on the floor and the child near had it as he was playing on the floor he lived with his brother 4 7months and he just threw him out the other day as he couldnt stick it any longer people calling to stuart house looking 4 dean plus loads of other things , now he is staying in a mates flat he just gets it 2 easy , i dont mean to sound rude iam just so mad when he spins my mum and dad a story they give him money , messages, and cigs i just cant get through to my mum and dad i just found out while iam typing u this note not he got a tenner of my mum and dad so i give up i hope something does happen to him cause thats the only way my mum and dad will get peace , thank u 4 listen 2 me x  
Hey girl...you are describing in such detail the "cycle of addiction".  If you are able to research a little about addiciton and equip yourself w/more information, it will help you IMMENSELY to understand that your nephew has a sickness.  It will explain SO much to your heart.
It will help you to "hate" the addiction and not the person who has the addiction and all the behaviors that go w/addiction.
Then, maybe you can share what you learn w/your mum and dad so they can find the strength to exercise "tough love" w/him.  They don't realize that by giving him money, doing his laundry, etc. actually prevents the consequences of his choices from occurring.  It "keeps it going".  They are in essence "enabling" his addiction.....not "helping" him as their hearts tell them too.  It is such a HARD thing to understand at first.  Tough....because it's hard......and love......because we love them w/an unconditional love.

I am a recovering addict as well as a family member of LOTS of alcoholic/ addicts; both actively using and many in recovery.  It truly is a family disease! This younger generation coming up in our family is LOADED w/budding addicts.....it is sad, scary, but true.
It affects ALL of us that love an addict.  It may help you to know that as addicts, we will be driven......DRIVEN by the drugs.  We will lie, cheat, steal, hide, manipulate, connive, plot....WHATEVER we can to get our drug(s).  When the people in our lives STOP enabling/aiding us......and the consequences of our actions HIT us......then, and ONLY then, do we have a reason to even consider changing what we are doing.

Whether online or in-person, Al-Anon or Nar-Anon could help you A LOT.
They have so much information on their web sites.  It would help to put this whole situation w/your nephew in perspective and help you to accept your powerlessness over him.  It would help your own personal stress level which affects your health so much.  You have to take care of YOU, too, ya know?  You have your own health issues going on and you have a HUGE heart.....you are very concerned about your mum and dad.  I would be, too.  The solution for us that love addicts cannot be found in "doing just one more thing different" or "if I could only"......cause he will NOT stop until  it becomes more  painful to use....than for him to continue using.  If we only support recovery efforts, draw lines in the sand, new boundaries that we feel good about because we understand addiction, then we can have more peace w/i ourselves until the addict that we love chooses for themselves to get help.
I read a lot about codependency......it helps me so much.  I wouldn't have any peace at all in my life if I hadn't tried to understand how loving other addicts can affect me so adversely.  Hope this may help you, too.......Your nephew has A LOT of pain he is masking......and he doesn't know how to do it any different right now......he isn't a BAD person......he is a sick young man.
Take care of you.....your mum and dad.......and be well~
yes this has help me but he is 25 and he dosnt want the help he thinks there is nothing wrong with him, he is begging of every1 if my sister was here today she would hit the roof herself , i have always been there 4 him i only had the 1 sister, and i dont want to turn my bk on dean but it is so hard to even talk to him when i can c rite through him that he just uses my mum and dad , iam so close to my mum and dad and they dont need this maybe i dont no how bad it is as we have never went through this b4 but how can u help some1 that dosnt think he needs any help people in the street r talking about him but he dosnt care and my mum and dad will never say no to him so tough love is out the window there i said to my mum the other day dont give him any money but  dean puts them on the spot, he comes up now everyday ah nanny would u have a fiver on u 2 get some lunch then he goes in and ask my dad iam ready 4 cracking up feel like telling him not  2 come bk but its not my house its my mum and dads so its not my place if the money was 4 a bit of lunch then thats fine but we no its not and my mum and dad knows 2 its not 4 something 2 eat but my mum and dad just look at each other and give him it, then he is away i shake my head then i say 2 my mum and dad stop giving him and they just say to me i dont no lynn like what do we do , i cant say anymore cause i would never answer my mum and dad bk , i no iam 45 but i still would never answer my mum and dad noway , but i just hate seeing him now showing up cause once he gets what he wants he is away till the next day , my god my mum and dad r not a bank the money my dad puts away 4 his sky or tv lience he is going into and taking a fiver or tenner out of it , my god u cant keep doing that everyday my mum and dad would give u there last , thats what really pisses me of cause dean is just using them and its like once he gets what he wants he is away, and a wee kiss love u nanny love u granda c yous tomoro and iam saying to myself please god i pray he dosnt call up tomoro 2 my mum and dads, i was always close 2 dean but when i c what he is doing on my mum and dad thats it iam just turning against him , iam not a ***** im not like that but a blind person could c rite through him and i dont mean that in a bad way , my mum and dad will not say no and he knows my mum and dad r a easy target, iam sorry and i no i should b there for him but he is just turning me against him.x