Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
does therapy really help?

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

does therapy really help?

i just want to know honestly because I need a new way to deal with this situation and i dont know what to do.  My mom is currently in the hospital with mrsa.  Of course I researched the hell out of it and now I am freaked out.  I think she contacted it from my herion addict brother who lives with her because he has all these open sores all over his arms that have not healed for months.  I tried to tell her that he needs to go and get tested & if it is mrsa, he needs treatment or she will just be exposed to it again once she gets home.  Her and my dad are not in the best of health as it is, and all my brother's insanity with the herion has totally taken years from their lives.  Well, the moment I told her that, she started downplaying it all and said she would just give my brother some medicated soap to use once she gets home.  She doesn't want to confront him on ANYTHING.  I haven't accepted that there is nothing I can do with this situation with my brother.  I mean, I kind of accepted that I can't force him to get sober, and he most likely is going to die, but I can't accept that my parents are allowing him to run their house and are completely enabling him. He leaves needles in their bathroom & that is now ok?!?  I know I could be jumping the gun, maybe he doesn't have mrsa.  But wtf.  My mom will do anything and everything to protect my brother and keep him from getting upset.  I get maybe she is scared of him because she has to live with him....and my dad, well he is just tired and has given up a long time ago.  So i am supposed to just let go and be ok, even when it's my parents?  Would therapy really change me where I would actually feel ok about everything that is going on? How can I even have a relationship with my parents when all their focus is on my brother?  I have already suggested everything possible to my mom, meetings, all of that.  She doesn't want to do anything because she says she doesn't have the problem and she thinks she already knows it all.  My parents don't care anymore, and I don't think its fair because they have 4 other adult children and grandkids.  I don't know what to do, if there is even anything I can do.  Maybe I just needed to vent tonight because I don't want to be angry with my mom, especially when she is in the hospital.
The therapy isn't going to make the difficult things in your life okay.  But it will help you to cope with what's going on and not let it consume your life.  We can care about our loved ones without having to fall apart ourselves to prove how much we care.  Therapy can help with that.
oh boy.  i wish i could delete this rant.  i went to visit my mom at the hospital today.  She will be ok, my parents do care, they are not downplaying anything, I overreacted.  I gotta stop blaming my brother for EVERYTHING. He has a problem.  Like me.  Seriously-  Medhelp, can we delete this post?  I am so embarassed.