Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
help for mother's addiction

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

help for mother's addiction

I could really use some advise. My mother has been taking fioricet for many years now but has become addicted over the past four years. she has explosive anger and doesn't sleep for days on end when taking them. She has gotten into a lot of trouble with police and courts as well. She goes from doctor to doctor getting new prescriptions and also orders them online. This addiction is destroying her life and our family. I need some advice, I am her 23 year old daughter and care for her very much but feel completely helpless because she is cannot bring herself to admit she has any problem and insist that the problem is everyone else. We don't have much money for therapist or treatment and she wouldn't go anyway. I wonder if there is at least some way to get her doctor to stop prescribing them? please any help is appreciated greatly, its really breaking me apart inside, thanks.
Hi there-  I'm sad for you and I'm sure it's an awful situation. Yes, doctor shopping is against the law. She'll eventually get caught and charged with a felony.  

You could call one of her doctors. Information about her can't be shared but you could inform the doctor of your fears and her abuse.  That doctor will inform at least the pharmacy she uses for his prescriptions and that will set in motion a series of flags on her rx use. Pharmacies share information and doctors do, as well. I'd hate to see her run into those difficulties, though.

Have you and other family members tried speaking with her? You can tell her she needs to get help or she'll be shut down by you or someone else making phone calls. She'll get mad but it may slow her down.  You can also tell her you'll call the DMV and inform them she's driving under the influence...

Talk to her before you do anything, though.  Give her a chance to get some help on her own.  You should know that Fioricet is a barbiturate and she can't abruptly stop it. She'd run the risk of seizures while trying to withdraw. This med needs a slow taper.

I need to tell you that forcing someone into treatment is very difficult. She needs to want to clean. Without that it's nearly impossible.

I would recommend you get support for yourself. AA has a program for families of substance abusers. Check into that, okay?  Questions?

I'm sorry you're going through this. Please talk to her and remember she has a disease that makes her do these things. She needs help...not a fight.