Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
help

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

help

i am at a lose right now my son is 30 years old he is a herion addict he went threw rehab in november i thought he was doing so great .he has has 3 kids 11;12;and 7,my husband and i left him at home for two days by himself came home and heard he had been doing drugs while we were gone i went got a drug test he tested positive for heroine i threw him out and have been crying ever since.he swears it wasnt heroin that it was 2 vikodins but thats not what the test said i dont know what to do anymore if he is here i cant see my grandkids he did the drugs while they were here my 12 year old told his mom he was so afarid his dad was going to die .i dont know how to help my son
hello sherry and welcome. I am sorry that you are going through this. I know how hard it is to have a son and/or a daughter who is an addict.
you made the right move by making him leave. please don't let him back in, he has to realize the consequences of his using again.
how long did he stay in rehab? 30 days? that is never long enough.
when he came out did he continue with treatment? counseling? meetings?
did the rehab have any family groups or have you attended alanon?
that is so sad about his son. I have a son, daughter and a husband who are recovering addicts. my 4 children lived with my husbands addiction for many years.  please try to get him into counseling and alanon also has meetings for children of addicts called alateen.
why cant you see your grandkids?
please keep talking with us here, we are here to support you, encourage you and help you as many of us have been through this or are in it now.
sending prayers,
there is always hope....
keep the faith...
Debbie
Hi sherry~

I am sorry you are going thru this but throwing him out was the right decision.  He is a grown man and needs to be held accountable for his actions.  Are you getting any type of counseling or therapy?  This is very important as our loved ones get the brunt of our addiction.  We are here to support you so please keep talking with us~
I am not sure what catagory vicadone is in, but you should find out. Either way its not good. For example, oxycotin is basicly heroin. I don't know if they would come up the same in the tests. But either he had a slip, and did heroin, or he is using vicadone to take the edge off or hes back on heroin. November is a long way to go to quit heroin and just decide to go back on it. My family is a wealth of addiction information unfortunatley. My borther was addicted to heroin for 6 years. after he quit, i guess he used "cocaine" (go figure)  every so often, "to take the edge off.. the story gets worse, but here are some important things to consider. 1. get him tested in another week. see what happens, and then after that. 2. methadone.. this is his best bet for "taking the edge off" and his only bet because doing one thing to take the edge off, well it leads to more, and befor you know it hes worse off then he was. You had the right to throw him out. By allowing him to do what he may or may not be doing, your telling him, he can screw up all he wants, he can always rely on you. Remember your grandchildren. YOu may not see them for a while (hoping he cant take them with him) but in the end, your son and grandkids are going to know you are doing the right thing. If its because your worried about social services, why not apply for temporary gaurdianship or grabdparent rights. Lets prey though, in the end this was a one time slip. when we quit a heavy drug, sometimes we screw up, if this was his one screw up, and it was really vicodene, and he learnded his lesson, thats pretty good.