Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
husband is addicted to pain pills

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

husband is addicted to pain pills

My husband is sleeping and has been for 2 days straight.  He won't eat.  He confessed to me that he was coming off of pain pills and that he has been addicted to them.  He told me earlier that he wanted to committ suicide.  I don't know what to do or who to call....he needs help.  Meanwhile my 14 year old son is in the next room and is totally oblivious to what is going on and I don't know what to do. Help......
hello and welcome. did you husband admit he has an addiction? did he decide to detox on his own?
i am the wife of a recovery addict. i know how frustrating,sad,
worrisome,heartbreaking,exhausting and frightening it can be. i lived with my husbands addiction for 14 years. it definitely affects the whole family. it is a family disease,
the worst of the acute physical symptoms will be over in 3-5 days.all he can do is treat the symptoms. hot baths with epsom salts, stay hydrated ,gatorade,juice,water. immodium for belly issues,he should get up and walk as much as possible. as long he is healthy otherwise he wont die. it will take time for his body,soul,mind and spirit to heal. how long has he been using and what?
he should look into counseling and support groups such as na or aa.
as the wife of an addict you also need healing. alanon is a wonderful support group for the loved ones of addicts.
we here are to support you and encourage you.
there is always hope.....
sending prayers,keep the faith
debbie
Thank you!  I just took him to the hospital, he requested it and he was talking about killing himself.  I love him, but don't know how to deal with this!  We have been here before with alcohol and with cocaine.  I am confused and keep thinking this is a bad dream!
I have been following this and wanted to ask how are things??  Is he still in the hospital and how are you doing??
You did the right thing to get him to the hospital. Suicide is real and especially for these types of addition. I wish my ex-boyfriend would have gotten to a hospital for his pain pill and drinking problem before he took his life. Now all of our lives are devastated by this horrible loss.