Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
looking for information please help

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Viewing 201-202 comments:
During the day you can expect pretty much the same symptoms you've been seeing so far, but not quite as bad.  The clonidine is usually prescribed for one a day so it will continue to be effective even if he takes it at night.  In my humble opinion, that one is probably the best medication on the list.  Amitryptaline (brand name Elavil) is an old tricyclic antidepressant that is also used for pain management and causes a lot of drowsiness.  Don't worry about the habit-forming aspect of the valium since he's not going to be taking it long-term.

I'm so happy you got a doctor who knows what he's doing with detox.  You've done so incredibly well in such a short time I stand amazed.  Really!

As long as your boy has the sweats, it's really important for him to stay hydrated.  The hot tub is a great idea but he'll lose more water while he soaks so make sure he has a bottle of water or gatorade or pedialyte in his hand while he's in the spa or bathtub.  I have a feeling the walk knocked him down more because of dehydration that anything else.  Sounds like he hasn't been vomiting again, but if it starts up call the doc.  Zofran or phenergan will help, and there are some anti-emetics that come in suppository form if he can't keep the pills down.

As for food, smoothies are a great idea.  Even one of those nutritional drinks in a can like Ensure is better than nothing.  He's not going to want anything heavy and fat-laden for a while.  Soups and smoothies will also help keep him hydrated.  Fruits like banannas, grapes and berries can be a good choice for something to grab here and there one bite at a time.

What a journey for all of you.  You're a great mom and it's easy to see that your son is a great young man too.  It'll take some time for him to sort out his relationships and determine who is toxic to his life, but that's a hurdle to deal with later.  I have every confidence he will succeed not only with his detox but his future with you and folks like Dave by his side.  I know you must feel like hammered shite right now, but you're doing great.  Really!
SO glad that he is doing well.  You're truly an amazing mother!  I look up to you sooo much for helping him the way you do.  I don't know of any other mother with a child addicted to drugs that even helps half as much as you do!!!  Amazing :)
morning

Thank-you but im not doing anything any other mother wouldnt do for their child, He as parents are here to take care of our kids at all costs, no matter the reason. He is awake, and not feeling well at all, he asked for the other meds i tild him not till tonigt,  but he can have the ibprofin, which he took, and is jumping in the tub, he says it feels like he swallowed a bunch of cotton balls, But the bags are gone from under his eyes, looks alittle more human he has colour back in his face and i'm happy for that, Sorry i didnt come back on last night but by the time i got the laundry done and finished with the basement apt, it was late and i was tired so to bed. He says his legs are still really sore, i just read rgw bottles again, i guess he is allowed the conidine aklso, and the doc did say it would help witht the legs, It was nice to log on and see the support he still has, says he waould like the computer when he is done, so he can check his profile, The sleep he got has def done him alot of good i csn see the clour in his face and the bags are gone, he can do this i told him this
I know this sounds off the wall but, Tonic water has quinine in it and will really help for leg cramps especially at night. It tastes bad but if he can keep it down it'll help. There is also a drug called Requip for leg cramps. You might mention to your Doc.
the ibprofin and clonidine will help especially after sitting in a hot bath with epsom salt for 20 minutes,
you are doing alot more then most moms would do, im serious!
Well thank you, he has been taking those meds and hot baths, and short walks, and naps alittle, i think that shot they gave him yesterday is still affecting him, he has a hot bath and lays down and kind of sleeps for a little bit, but he has no energy, it seems to take everything to walk from the bathroom down the hall to the den, by the time he gets to the den he is laying down again, and he has been vomiting alittle, I called the hospital back and they suggested geting gravol as that is what they gave him yesterday, I aksed him if he wanted to go online, he said by the time he boots it up, he wants another bath again, and then lays down. I know his stool must be real soft cause he complains his but it sore alittle, so today i am just leaving him alone, i have made sadwiches and wrapped them and put them in the fridge and made 3 types of juice for him and the milk and gatorade and ensure, those he really likes, he has gone through a few of the ensure drinks, so i dont worry so much about him eating, it says meal replacement on the can, He asked who has all been online, i dont know, i just told him who has been typing to me, he said to say hi to: GMcp , mpace6983, tgtiffany,  and imdone and vicki, he slept well through the night i think, he seems so tired still, it must be the shot still in his system, i hate to take him back worried to find out that is why, he drinks lots, he must be at 20-25 glasses of something a day, I will see how he is tomorrrow before i get worried
  I am doing what any mother would do for there son or daughter if it came down to his/her health and recovery, and we have councelling set up for next week no matter how he feels she wants to see him, i hope he looks better than e does now, and the sweat,is just pouring off of him, can actually see it form beads and run down his chest, buthe is alive, he asked me to tell people not to worry he will be back just not right now...
aww poor boo, well im glad he is drinking all that, that is great :) and this is all normal, i dont think you have to take him back in at this point if it gets worse then you should but i think you will find he is slowly getting better through out tonight and tomorow id say if he is still not getting better by wednesday night then take him in, but i dont see that being a problem, he seems to be getting better otherwise he wouldnt be eating and drinking that is a very good sign, hey did you guys ever pick up the gaba? and valerian root? those were 2 vitamins that really helped, but you know it all now and he said you got him so much already and you got the medications so you probably dont need him to be trying those, but maybe after the 5 days of meds are done those would be a good next step. i had many ppl on here that told me those 2 are so good for this and they really are.
i keep checking to see if you guys have posted he left me a long message this morning and that was nice, he sounded more rested than he has been since i started taking to him so that made me happy... doin good guys! :)
Hi!  All these symptoms are all very normal, so don't worry too much.  Sweating is a way that your body gets rid of toxins and stuff, so consider it just cleansing him out.  Tell him I said hello and to SMILE!!!  He's doing super great!  Just keep reminding him of that and telling him that he'll have his life back soon enough.  The ensure is really good and will give him lots of vitamins that he needs too.  I wanted to ask you how are YOU doing through all this?  I know it's hard on you too!  
wow i just read through you and your sons posts. You guys are both inspirations to me. I am starting detoxing from oxycontin today i am 22 and was snorting it like your son was and feel the pain your son is going through. This withdrawal is so bad. he is lucky he has you, I cant quite say the same about my mother, but that is okay. You are such a strong woman and your guys devotion to eachother is inspiring. It is clear how much love you guys have for eachother. You will both make it through this and the experience will only strengthen your guys relationship and give you more knowledge and compasssion to help others going through this pain.  
You can do this son, from what the people told me on here and what he is doing it is possible, and you will be happier, there are alot of good people here who will give you great advise and information just just have to ask, and they are more than willing to come forward and help you out, they will tell you things you should get or have your mom get for you, As for my son and I yes we are close and have been through alot that is why i think we are as close as we are, I am here for you best i can be son, just keep your head up and remember it will get better

Thank you, yes I really want to stay sober. My mom does not know what I am going through and isnt quite so supportive and caring as you are. We have some issues between us unfortunately. And its funny but i had a boyfriend that pulled the same thing your sons girlfriend did. We tried to stop togetehr one time and it turned out he wasnt really stopping while I was. He was secretly using. Anyways we are not together anymore and i pray for him to find his way but I know hes lost in his addiction now. But i want to get out of mine so badly. Anyways, you seem so sweet and caring, I truly hope you and your son make it through this, and I will keep you guys in ym thoughts .
I have been on oxi for over 2.5 years and it completely rules my life. Every minute must be managed to allow timely medication. Please...please...get your son help now. It will get worse as it is not ever going to get better as long as he is on oxi or the alike. I cannot take any anti-in flamitory drug due to serious stomach issues from a gastric bypass surgery thus here I sit in a mud pubble needing my right hip replaced by afraid to death to do it as I nearly died from my bypass surgery. Fear has me by the throat. Please have your son talk to me...I know what he is feeling. He can get help that will allow a very painless withdrawl (withdrawal). I am looking at the same after my surgery...if I can get the nerve up to get this mess removed from my body. The pain is significant without meds but withdrawl (withdrawal) is hell like no other...done it...its really tough. God bless you and I wish you luck and peace....
Sorry i haven't been on, he woke up and is real sick, he says his legs kill even in the tub, his arms are sore, his back, and he is back to the sweating and the runs, i did give me pepto and 1 imodiam, but he is bad, he is asking if he can have his bedtime meds but it is early yet by at least 3-4 hours. he is moody real bad but went to the basement, you can tell the shot (gravol and Diazapam) has worn off, I dont know if i should give him those meds now or make him wait? I will check back as often as possible, he is hot then cold, he is frustrated i can see it.
Probably everything is OK to give early except the clonidine.  It's a blood pressure medication that was incidentally found to help withdrawal symptoms - BP goes up quite a bit in withdrawal - and you don't want his BP getting too low.  If you're ever not sure, just call the clinic or an ER for advice.  I doubt the pepto will help much at all but the immodium should.  My husband used quite a bit of it for his detox and just kept taking it every few hours until it was under control.  Again, you can get specific dosing instructions from the clinic.

This is the hell of detox.  The one and only thing that really will help is the narcotic.  That's why people fail so easily and particularly if a jerk like your son's ex-girlfriend drops by offering "help."  My guess is that in two or three more days he won't be as shaken up as he is now.  Sleep is the one thing that most people want the most and it always seems to be the last thing to be restored.  It may be a month or more before he gets a full 8 hours of natural sleep.  The time increases gradually.  Anytime he can sneak in a nap during the day is a good thing.

Keep up the good work Mum!  You're awesome!
So while you guys mean well, you are not professionals for one and for two...the guidelines of this community state: ~  "Do not post asking for dosing information on any medication Please consult your prescribing physician  for that information."

Hello

well he wanted to wait alittle bit and have a couple epson salt bath before taking the meds, i guess the doctor told him they were habit forming, so he says he will put them off as long as he can, He took them about 20 mins ago, and went downstairs, i just went down to see how he was, and ended up turning everything off, and closed the drapes, he was sound asleep, he must have been hot when he passed out cause he was down to his undies, So i threw a sheet on him to give me alittle warmth well we sleeps, I have watched him and must say if the tables were reversed, i dont know if i could go trough it, knowing that i little pill will make you feel better and not do it, i told him this, he told me wen u look at everthging you do it cause you know it;s just once, then he chuckled and said well twice, I was happy to see his humour alive.
   We asked me to relay that when he wakes up he will do his best to talk to everyone and uodate them on his progress.
   I hope all have a good night, i will sleep tonight cause he will.

to all my friends, again thank you, i appreciate the advise, sorry i didnt respond quicker but he comes first sorry, have a great night
I'm Sorry, i should have worded it diffrently, i apologize
No harm intended.  Glad that he is asleep :)  Tell him when he wakes to not feel the need to get on here just to update us of how he is doing unless he really wants to.  What I mean is I don't want him to feel like he's obligated to update anyone, you know what I mean?  If he feels like poo then he shouldn't worry about anyone but himself!!  But of course when/if he does we love hearing from him, so don't get me wrong, just don't want it to worry him  you know?  Now go to sleep yourself while you can!!! :)  
Read what Vicki said above about those meds. That's what they are and what they do. Now read the info pamphlet that came with them and realize it was made by the drug manufacturer.  I beleive when oxycotin first came out it wasnt' suppose to be very habit forming/addictive. That is a pretty big dose of amitriptoline in itself, 100mg's. And on top of that 20mg's of valium? What's the difference then "just" a little bit of oxycotin? Those meds are going right to the receptors in his brain, and that I believe is why his head is so foggy all day long. It seems we're right back to tapering off. To me it's like saying an alcoholic isn't doing well on whiskey so we'll give him wine. I think it's just going to prolong his wd's, there isn't an easy way out. Keep throwing gas on the fire and wondering why it burns. petro....signing out
benzo's attach to GABA, not Mu receptors , same as alcohol , but the body can quickly crave the sedation, and it can lead to addiction also.
Morning
  He is back to sleep, he was up around 1am, and was sick,, but managed to fsll back asleep , so i hope he sleeps most of the day, he was realy bad at 1am, lasted till around 2:30a,. he was vomiting and gaging, it wasnt pleasent, I did call the hospital and they said what the doctor gave him is what he gives most addicts who are detoxing with supervision, I just hope he starts to feel better soon. I guess he should start feeling better today by all i have read, or i hope so anyways, Me well i am holding up, i can deal with myself after him, and yes he already told me that he should go through this not me, but i gotta help, like i said i just hope he is better or getting there today
statistics show today would be the day for that, i hope its true for his case, but last night sounds ruff. i really wish he would feel better and i hope your feeling ok, probably pretty warn out by now but your half way there and when he gets better he will probably take care of you while you rest and recuperate lol
We have recently moved your post to "Living with an Alcoholic" forum as this will allow you to interact with other family members living with either an alcoholic or a substance abuser.

If you would like to also find out more about the pills your loved one is using we do have a Pill Identifier Tool that you can use:

http://www.medhelp.org/pillfinder

We certainly want to welcome you to our forums and hope that you find the support that you need.

others who posted to "mom" will get an e mail notifying them to where it is, as i myself was! it wont be a problem and is in no way meant to cause difficulties.
thank you
He did well today, i don't want to be at this forum, i liked the one i was at, so read his updates please, those who know us
Hi Everyone,

We're sure everyone will be able to give, get, and share advice on this thread no matter where it resides.  All posters have been notified of the move.   For every community we have guidelines that we follow, and in an effort to keep the entire thread intact the best we could, we moved the thread versus deleting valuable content that is helpful for our members on an appropriate community.

Cheryl
MH Community Mgr
You are in the right place goinghomeagain :)  I'm certainly glad your thread was moved because otherwise I wouldn't have seen it to respond.

And yes any time a thread is moved everyone on the post gets notified so they know the new location, I think the url even forwards from the old one to the new url too.

There are different tools that you can use yourself to help your son's recovery.  No matter what your loved one's addiction is whether it is prescription drugs or alcohol, there are certain behaviors of your own that you can alter that hinders their addiction.

I didn't realize how much a part of the problem I was in my loved one's addiction until I learned about "enabling."  Enabling someone for example can be- providing them money to buy their drugs, allowing them to do drugs in the house, providing them with transportation to get drugs.

As anyone in this forum knows there is a lot of worrying that goes on when your loved one is using, a lot of upset nights, and just pure exhaustion.  You are not alone at all in this.  Keep talking and keep sharing with us.  It really does help lighten the load right now.  If you have trouble sleeping, write a post on here and let someone know, chances are we are going to respond and be here for you.
Well...I posted on this thread and never received a notification that it was moved to this forum.  I had to hunt it down!!

I really don't get the rationale in moving the thread to the "Living with Alcoholism" forum. I thought she was doing just fine in the SA forum!   We have several members there who are relatives of abusers and they offer much support to the other members!

I believe moving the thread here really narrows down the amount of responses. Just saying...
How about just abandoning this thread and starting a new one back in the SA forum?? It was really not the best move bringing it over here...
i did think others were notified, and also you would get more help for you in replies, now, maybe not.
Hi everyone -

You all should have gotten an email notifying you of the new location for the thread, if you posted prior to it's move.  Please check your email address that you used to join, and make sure to check spam, too.  You might also check your email settings to make sure your preferences are what you want them to be.  (Go to your Home page or your profile, click on Account Settings, and you can adjust your email settings to your preference.)

If you did not get one, please send me a PM, and I will do my best to find out why you didn't.  :)

Emily
"I am comming back to addiction site, he has almost no energy, he made it through the last couple of days but is so tired falls asleep around 6 or 7 pm, any suggections besides what i am doing "

he is sleeping? wow, lucky guy. hmm....usually those detoxing from what he was on can't sleep. suspicious that he is. maybe you want to pick up some of those home drug test kits from drugstore (or can order on-line if no drugstore around you since you're off beaten path) and test him to make sure he is really off drugs and not pulling a fast one on you? (do not tell him you are going to test him before you do). sorry but addicts lie and for someone that was saying his detox was going to be so horrible to be sleeping like a baby when he really should be up all night instead while detoxing just sounds wrong to me. sorry. but i've been in his shoes and lied my way through a few fake detoxes myself. i hope i'm wrong. but you won't be wasting your money on those home drug test kits. they are very handy to have around and feel free to use one ANY time you have slightest suspicion in future (usually any time you think an addict is using- they are. words mean nothing). him knowing that you have them in house might help keep him on straight and narrow too.
Goinghomeagain,

I wanted to tell you how much I admire you. I am about to try and stop taking a drug called percocet, another narcotic pain medicine. And I'm frightened  about it. I am finding it extremely hard just to START trying to quit. Your son is extremely fortunate to have you in his life. And to my mind has done the hardest thing there is when a person wishes to address their addiction. He has taken ACTION. Please tell him I'm scared to death myself but he is an inspiration to me. Your posting here has given me a small measure of hope for myself and I sincerely thank you. I get comfort knowing there are people like yourself in this world, people whom I want to be worthy of knowing and associating with.
I happened upon this post and just wanted to say that everybody is very strong here.  It's amazing when I see people helping each other, like on this thread.  MedHelp is a great place for support.  

J
just wondering how hes doing? i am a few days behind him from similiar amounts of oxycontin so it helps to know where hes at? is he doing any better?
My heart bleeds for You and your son.  I am the daughter of an alcoholic mother and a recovering addict of opiates.  I also have followed your postes both of them.  God Bless you both you have gone through so much in the past week or so.  There is light at the end of the tunnel.  I do have some concerns: your son was standing in front of his dealers house for an hour last night?, and he is meeting girls on the inter net?  Both of these things hint toword a possible relasp if not addressed quickly.  I know that he is going in to aftercare on Tuesday.  Maybe the two of you can atend an AA meeting or NA meeting today!  I used to go to a meeting called alanon it was for family member of addicts and alcoholics.  Now I go to NA.  At the end of summer 90 days of clean time he should go back to school and become the vet that he dreams of it will help him make new friends and keep his mind busy.  But until then he needs to learn to change his behavior and his thinking.  You are by far the worlds greatest mom I have ever encountered and he is very lucky to have you.  You on the other hand must realize that your are not the reason that your son hs this addiction and cut yourself some slack.  It is not your fault!!  It has nothing to do with how you raised him.  He loves you!  Take care of each other and be strong.
I think one of the most confusing things when you are involved with a child or a parent, or any loved one for that matter is deciding where to go to get help for yourself.  We can be so involved in someone else's recovery that we forget about our own.  And where are parents supposed to go when they have a child's addiction that focuses on drug addiction and not alcohol?  Alcoholics have AA, narcotics addictions have NA, and family members have one thing and that is Al-anon which combines them both.

@ MissMalibu  I am really glad you mentioned Alanon.  A lot of times too you can find dual meetings that go on, where your son can go to his meeting, and then you can go to another room and go to your meeting.  It's great that you are involved in their recovery, but one of the challenging things for a family member is to step back and allow your loved one to run their own program.  We cannot control a person's recovery just like we cannot control a person's addiction.  Keep talking to other family members in the same situation it really helps :)
hi, it will be nice to hear from you , now you are in a really appropiate forum! hope you are well.
OMG I am so glad they created the new forum, less confusion for everyone :)  Definitely keep us updated on how everything is going for you :D
Viewing 201-202 comments: