rehab works?
My son leaves tonight for a rehab in florida. It's called Behavioral Health at the Palms. Does anyone have any experience from that facility? He has been using for a year and has been arrested 3 times. He went from doing coke, then heroin, opana & now oxy. He feels terrible because he ran out of money & is going through withdrawl. It was his decision to enter a 30 day program because the outpatient ones just haven't cut it. Any encouraging words out there for him and me? I want my son back.
hi...

i looked this place up and it sounds wonderful.  i really like their emphasis on dual diagnosis...and working on what is behind one's addiction.

the longer he stays...the better his chance.  usually, at about 2-3 weeks, the addicted one will "think" they've got it whipped...that they know what to do and can do it at home.  the phones calls start...and thus the manipulation begins.  if this happens to you...stand strong...dont give in.

never give up hope...if your son will commit..get real with himself and the root of his addiction and work the program...he CAN do it...its totally possible.

prayers going up for your son...asking for a cleansing of his body and mind and for strength to continue the fight.

in the meantime...if you've never done so, i encourage you to find and attend alanon meetings.  it will bring you comfort knowing that you are not alone in this battle.  
Thanks for your reply Lizzie. It is such a relief now that he's in treatment. I'm hoping this is the answer to our prayers. I have been going to al anon meetings with my husband as well as going to counseling. This facility has a family week where we can go down and meet with the team of counselors so we'll know what to expect when he gets home.

Thanks for your encouraging words! I know there are many other parents in our situation and it does bring me comfort hearing from them.

God Bless!
Lizzie, wow.  You really hit the nail on the head with the 3 week thing!  My daughter thought she was cured at that point too.

terryfu, Lizzie is also right that there IS hope.  If your son is ready to get clean, he will.  You are doing everything you can to help him.  Just remember, you can support him emotionally and love him but you aren't responsible for his recovery, only he can do that.  My daughter's counselor said to me last week before yet another court date that I need to "let things happen as they NEED to happen" and things will be much easier for me.  I have been told that here too but I guess now I'm actually hearing it, lol.

Take care and let us know how he's doing when you get an update.