Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
trying to help a friend

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

trying to help a friend

i have a friend who is dating this woman that is a drug addict and she is in rehab now. but she has been in rehab numerous times but its never long before she goes back to the drugs again. she is constantly in and out of trouble, in and out of rehabs, always getting caught in lies, has a 5 yr old that she abandons for days at a time while she is off doing drugs, she also has a drinking problem on top of everything else. she never seems to learn a lesson from her mistakes and mess ups, she continues to do these things and feels nor has any remorse for what she has done. my question is, she says that her mother was addicted to cough syrup with codene in it when this lady was born, so she was born addicted to it from her mom. this was back in 1973, she is 40 yrs old and still doing these things and i wanted to know did they actually have that kind of cough syrup back then, was it easy to get for an addict, and if so, how would it affect a newborn infant born addicted to it, would it be a few weeks of withdrawls for the infant or would it cause a life time of problems like what i just told you about??????
Tags: codene syrup
She is trying to justify her actions. This is a disease which needs to be treated. We can't turn the clock back, just have to accept it and move on. Good luck.
I know that the cough medicine with codeine has been around for longer than that.  I know it is frustrating to see her go in and out of treatment but you have to understand that most of us have to go in and out of treatment until something sticks.  I cannot speak for her because I do not know her but if she is going into treatment it means that she wants to make a change.  If she comes out and uses again it is part of the viscious cycle of addiction.
I am not going to be able to change your thoughts from one post but I want you tto understand that although it is hard on the families of an addict, the Hell that they have to live through trying to get out of the addiciton is no picnic.
The only reason I say this is becasuse I want you and any one else that is in her life to hold on to hope that some day she may be able to recover.  I had to go to treatment 5 times before I finally found some of the answers and that is pale in comparison to how many times I tried to quit between those admissions into treatment.
I wish the best of luck to you and her and pray that she can recover for the kid.
as a recovering addict myself i know and understand what you are saying. i too have relapsed a few times over a 14 yr time span, i am happy to say that i have now been clean and sober since 2009 with no craving at all for a pain pill. ive never went to or been in a rehab, i had only myself and god to help me find the strength to get through it. my addiction caused me to lose my car, my house, and most important of all, my two babies. the youngest is now 17 and she 1 when i became addicted and she hates me, wont talk to me, and wants nothing to do with me. my oldest who is now 19 knows and saw more than his sister did because he was 4 when this happened, my son and i talk everyday and reassures me that he doesnt hate me and that he loves me. my point is tho, i know that my friends friend just keeps doing the same things over and over and over, telling the lies, pulling the disappearing act. i do know that this lady has even stayed in rehab and the program for a year and she still keeps going back to her same old ways. i just needed to know if being born to the cough syrup wouldve done something to her when she was born that would cause this or would it have been out of her system after a few weeks when she was a newborn.
I don't really know about that but I hope someone else can tell you.  I don't like to venture guesses but I really cannot see how this would have contributed to her behavior or problem.  Most of us do not get addicted until later in life when we have issues and start taking drugs and realizing the ability it has to help us escape from the things tha are hard to cope with without the drugs....but I don't know anything about her childhood or the demons she may or may not be hiiding with the addiction.
Genetic factor: Some people appear to be more vulnerable to addiction because of their body chemistry, Some forms of addiction run in families; and this may be the result of genetic predisposition, environmental influences, or a combination of both.. Dopamine receptor, known as D2, might someday be used to predict whether some one will become a addict..Brain imaging suggests that people with fewer D2 receptors are more likely to become addicted than those with many receptors..and how many receptors people have is, In part, genetically determined..Environment factors also play a role..So propensity isn't destiny...
vickie