Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
what's a mom to do?

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

what's a mom to do?

24 year old daughter addicted to heroin. The past 6 months she has been arrested 4 times. Twice for DUI (on heroin) and twice for prescription fraud, identity theft and several other charges. She was in the process of getting most of the charges from first prescription fraud dismissed and going into an intense program thru drug court. Now don't know what she is facing with all the new charges. Tomorrow is her first day in front of the drug court judge. I guess we will find out. Anyone give me some info on the courts/laws.
Hi, I am in treatment with many drug court folks, in NY State. I always ask many questions from them. First the bad news, she is in trouble. The good news is, Judges today understand that jail does not really help people like your kid, it has been proven that she and society will be better off with strict drug court program. It also saves the city/county money. Your attorney must convince the judge of this. I know many people who have worse record and are in the program, example a guy with 8 DWI's is in my group, no jail time. The program is a ***** but, if she completes it will benefit everyone. I think it will be ok, just don't let her drive, and detox ASAP!!