Addiction: Social Community
46 years on heroin.

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

46 years on heroin.

I was in the midst of relating a story about a man wh sat down beside me In a shopping mall when my computer decided to hiccup and knocked everything out. I was waiting for my wife to finish shopping when this gentleman sat down beside me and looking at me said,"Isn't life wonderful." I nodded my hed and we were talking about this and that when he suddenly said."You know, I was a heroin addict for 46 years. This got me to really pay attention. I asked if he was still on it. He said,"No, I quit about three and a half years ago."  He added," I have very few veins left in my arms or legs." SAny way I wewnt into th shop where my wife was, told her I would see her in the food court ansd went to have coffe with this man. His story of how he got mixed up with a gang, started using and spent the most of his life dealing and using was a tale I wish on no one. However, I was interested in how he quit and asked him so. He saidn ,'I don't really know, all I know is I was sitting in a park wondering where I could get my next fix when I noticed a family having a little picnic laughing and really enjoying themselves. I wandered out of the park thinking that could have been me. Anyway I headed for downtown and for some strange reason went into a mission  there I  can't tell you what they were talking about but for some strange reason I felt at peace ther for the first time in years. I left that mission and did somethin even stranger, I looked up my sister in the phone book and called her. The warmth in her voice after I hadn't talked to her in years and her knowing I was an addict went through me like a knife. She invited me over to see her and her family but I said maybe later. To make a long story short ,I found my self at the Salvation Army and got to talking to the people there.' It was there that I decided to get clean and they took me to a rehab wher i spent almost three weeks. I'm not wearing my uniform but I have been a member of the Sally Ann since.' He also mentioned that he baby sits his neices children on occasion and as he spoke about all this his face was beaming. We said our goodbyes and when I got home, told my wife the story and she wept. I might add that my eyes were also a little wet as I repeated the story. I know this is a long nrrative but I thought this was the best palce to tell it. I am supposed to come and say hello to him at Christmas because he usually mans the kettle there for the Salvation Army.
What a touching story.  This should give hope to so many. Thanks for sharing it.   The Salvation Army helped my brother many times also. I always give when I pass the kettle at the store.
That is such a feel good story and I am so glad you shared it! The Salvation Army does do wonderful things. We have taught our nieces and my son (even though he had no idea) to put money in each time we passed even if it was just the smallest amount on us!
I think this story is inspirational so much. Being an ex H user myself i give this guy my total respect! I dont know his whole story but what you wrote brought tears to my eyes. This man should be given a medal for all he has come through!
Thank you so much for sharing this story!