Addiction: Social Community
Anybody try Suboxone?

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

Anybody try Suboxone?

I didn't come here to start a debate I am simply stating what I know to be true for me and my battle with addiction in hopes of maybe saving someone elses life. If you know that Suboxone is not for you then do not continue to read but If you struggle everyday with addiction to pain meds or any opiate please consider looking into Suboxone treatment. This treatment has saved my life along with posting on the site addiction survivors . com. I cannot imagine why there are people against medical treatment for addiction. I have found a tool in my recovery that allows me to continue on with my daily life and seek other treatment while feeling so much better. Suboxone has not only put my addiction in remission but has also helped my depression so much! I really hope that if someone out there is struggling and cannot figure out a way to get off of those pills they will seek help and research if Suboxone is for them. It isn't for everybody but I have seen a lot of succsess from the use of this medication. Some see Suboxone as a "cheat" just like gastric bypass surgery but if it helps you stay off of the pills and keeps us from killing ourselves with norcos and percocets and fentynal then what could be so bad? the NAABT website is filled with info on this medication and  succses stories and I just hope that this post will change just one peson's life... Or save it for that matter! Good luck to all and thank you for listening :)
Like you said, what works for one may not work for another. I have never been on suboxone but have also heard so much about it. I'm so happy you found something that worked for you. Someone can only go through so much before having to try something else. As long as the person makes a educated decision by doing research there is nothing wrong with that decision as long as they feel that is what they should do. You mentioned gastric bypass. I'm sure you could read many negatives about that also. You could post your opinion on just about anything out there and you will get people out there that completely disagree. Tell me your a Green Bay Packers fan and you'd never hear the end of me!! I myself do not plan on trying sub as I heard it's even harder to get off of but I'm not saying that down the road I won't change my mind. It has crossed my mind but don't feel that I'm at the stage yet. If I ever do decide I think I would try I would use it for 2 weeks tapering down the whole time. But, if that didn't work, I'd have to try it for longer. I just wanted to use that as a example because if you fail once, you have to try something different. Not saying try sub if you relapse once, just try a different route such as na. There are many things that can be changed around to provide success. I'm happy you found your success. It does seem like there are many who discourage it's use, but as our bodies are all different, so are our opinions. I try and keep a open mind to everything because you just never know. I do agree sub is a much better option than killing ourselves from high doses of opiates. I've came off the pills a few times and the last time I was clean for a year until my back and sciatic pain acted up again. I have been tapering off of them now and plan on taking the plunge soon. I'm praying I will be able to do it like I have in the past. It's nice to hear your story and know there is a back up plan if I truly need it.I wish you the best and congrats on your accomplishment! Do you mind me asking how long you have been on it and if you plan on coming off of it anytime soon? Or are you at a point to where you haven't had to think ahead that far yet? Just kinda wondering. We need more posts and advice on here about some good experiences with sub as most seem to be all about how hard the withdrawals are and to never touch it. I think everything good and bad should be on here so people can read and make their own educated decision on topics like this. Once again, congrats on doing what you had to do! I wish you the best of luck with everything you do!
Brian
I appreciate your post on Suboxone.  I am also living proof that Suboxone does work, I took it for nearly 4 yrs for a battle with Hydrocodone that just would not end.  I had been through withdrawal several times, but always quickly went back to using.  I was up to over 200 mg of hydrocodone and needed help to stop.  I looked into suboxone, found a doctor in my area, and started a treatment plan.  Suboxone worked from the very first minute and I know that it did save my life.  That being said, I had a doctor that saw no harm in people being on subxone very long term - he even mentioned people staying on it the rest of their life.  Well, this was not something that I wanted.  Three years ago, I was down to 2mg/day and was hoping to taper off.  I ended up running out while on the 2mg dose.  A few days after, I went on vacation and was in severe withdrawal - much more intense than any withdrawal I had ever experienced with hydrocodone or oxy.  It was terrible.  Luckily I was on vacation in the Dominican Republic and was able to obtain Codeine over the counter, so I took that for the week to fend off the withdrawal.  I went right back on suboxone when I got home and took it for another 3 years.  Again, I started to taper down and got down to 1-2mg/day and I just could not taper any further - I wanted to be off opiates once and for all.  So, I looked to an accellerated detox - Not to be confused with ultra rapid detox - it was not that.  The program I did lasted 8 days because of the long half life of subxone.  Long story short, it was the best thing that I ever did - I have been completely clean from suboxone and all other mind altering substances for 135 days and I feel great.  Suboxone does have it's place and it helped me greatly - if you chose this route, just be prepared for a taper plan because getting off is not a piece of cake.  I am happy to talk with anyone out there who has questions or is struggling with suboxone.  
bump
cool post, i like seeing poz things about sub, so much neg on here it might scare some away from something that could save there lives
your so right there is a lot of negitve things said about sub but if you need it to save your liver and life i think go for it just read all you can first and make sure its right for you
yes you have to make a well informed decision, sub is not for me but thats not to knock it for what it is.