Addiction: Social Community
Co-codamol addiction, cauisng liver problems?

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

Hey..i am a 23 year old male and I am addicted to co-codamol..It started wen i was 16 when i had a slip disc, which caused siatica, and they seemed to be the only pain killers that helped..I am still on them now, but sometimes I would exceed the daily dosage.  What concerns me now is my liver, because i think it is damaged. The codiene in the tablets seems to be the only thing keeping my stool together, as once I come off them my stool comes out in a yellow liquid form, sometimes a dark black liquid. I recently went to my doctor and told him about my stool, but was too scared to tell him about the co-codamol addiction.  He got back to me with my blood tests and says i have a stomach virus, but surely i cannot have had this for nearly a year? He says my liver is fine, which i find hard to believe saying the amount of co-codamol i take.  If they wernt actually looking for liver problems would they have still have shown in the blood tests? I am on 3 different types of anti-biotics for this stomach virus, but I am truely convinced it is my liver with the problem..
My advice would be to finish your anti biotic course then try a few herbal liver detox's. If you still feel like its your liver, get a second opinion from another doctor and perhaps one you feel comfortable sharing your addiction with. Getting a second opinion is never a bad idea. Before my diagnosis with Ulcerative Colitis, my primary care physician didnt believe aANY of my symptoms and actually prescribed suppositories and FiberCon pills which worsen a condition like mine. It took me a year and withering down to 90 lbs before I went for a second opinion. That doctor had me to a specialist that same day! who, since i hadnt eaten that day ordered a scope for the following day and had medication waiting the following day after the scope which finally gave me relief! Doctors arent gods and when overwhelmed or having treated the same patient for a while begin to think they know what is best for you. Only you know that. Get a second opinion!
you should have told him of your addiction...perhaps its the w/d from codeine thats actually causing the problem. if your doc checked your liver and its good....then i would continue the antibiotics and try to get clean. if it has not resolved once you are clean for a while, then they may want to check for other things. a simple phone call running all this by your doc could provide you with a lot of relief...but i think either way, you're gonna have to get clean to find the real problem. you should be open with your doc. its easier for them to help you.
I take two cocodo's everynight - it helps me sleep and stops me waking up for the toilet every 2 hours!!  Is this damaging - i do not take any at any other time