Addiction: Social Community
How long does crack-cocaine stay in a newborn's urine?

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

Hello all,
I'm not saying if this is for myself or not, but the question is something I REALLLLLLLLY NEED TO KNOW!!!
If a mother is using crack-cocaine while she's pregnant and when the baby's born, for whatever reason, the baby's urine is bagged.....(although the mother has totally denied ANY drug use from the beginning) how long do the drugs stay in the baby's system?
I've always heard that for the actual user, it's like 2-3 days or something. If mom's drinking a ton of water....what about the baby?
By the way...as of now, the only reason "why" the baby's urine would get bagged, is because in NYS, the mom was told if you don't make 10 prenatal visits (she's got 9, her 10th is for this Friday but she MIGHT NOT make it) then they take the baby's urine, because mom "must" be doing drugs.
ANY HELP is DEEPLY APPRECIATED!!!!!
Your mother is going to give birth to a crack addicted baby.  Doc's will know immediately she was doing drugs........she very well may lose the baby to child services and even face legal problems.  and, Your mom .........God help her.......... is not doing a service to herself or her soon to be crack addicted baby.  Maybe she needs to see what it looks like to watch a crack baby suffer in a neo-natal unit.  Yu need to tell this persons doctor what she is doing.  ...so much more to say, but i can't .......this is too emotional of a situ to go any further.  Lisac.........save this baby.......u can....

Nauty......................
I agree...This is so sad! An innocent child being effected by drugs! I agree with Naughty, help save this baby and tell the Doctor. No need to feel guilty cause you will be doing a GREAT thing! Think of this unborn child who is so innocent and didn't ask for any of this to happen. It is so sad to see a child born who is in that kind of condition. He/She will be going through w/d and from what i hear it can even be worse on them then it is on us adults. Very sad situation!

Not saying this to be rude, but if no one is willing to talk to the Doctor about this, then i hope the baby is taken away and put into foster care. The baby does deserve to have a clean healthy happy life. There are so many people out there in the world who want to have a child but can't. Then you hear of people like this, sorry but it just makes me sick inside! Please do the right thing for this child! Put him/her first. Who cares what anyone else thinks of you. Do it for the baby!!!

This question is so disturbing... i can't even answer... or bother to look up an answer..
I went to school with a girl who's mom smoked crack while she was pregnant and she was born with webbed hands and feet and she had no vaginal opening... the doctors had to perform surgery so she would be a "normal girl" I can't even imagine...
" Doc's will know immediately she was doing drugs.." HOW??????
That is the right thing to do!!!  Everything i have ever heard about crack babies is terrible...You are doing the right thing..
I would just make the call..Be honest, and just tell them you are concerned...
good luck
r2r
When the baby is born they do a series of tests on it.  They check the baby's movement, eyes, shape, etc....  They will be able to tell from looking at the child that something is wrong.  Then they will do blood tests and such.  They will see that the baby is on drugs.  Not to mention the fact that you have a much higher rate of having a physically or mentally disabled child when you do drugs while your are pregnant.  If the child is born disabled they will do tests again....which will reveal the drugs in his/her system.  Just tell the doctors the truth.  You can save this child's life!
This is so upsetting to me. I have one child of my own who is 14 years old, and 2 step children. I want so bad to have another child with my new husband but unfortunately i am unable to have any more. So when i hear something like this, man it just rips my heart out! Just feel so sad for this innocent little baby who asked for none of this.

Please do the right thing, talk to the doctor and let him/her know the situation. This baby deserves a chance at life and to be able to have a good one at that. How many months pregant are you or this person? Is the person that is having this baby planning on keeping it? If so, do they really want to have a baby that has a whole bunch of problems, can they honestly sit back after this child is born and watch it suffer, knowing it was them that did it to them? That would just kill me inside knowing i did this to my child.

Please, Please do the right thing. There is help out there, put this baby first!

Sorry, i really am! This is just so sad to hear! I know being an addict how hard it is to quit, but i also know that as much as i like to take prescription meds, that if i were to become pregant, that would be all it would take for me to just quit! No matter how hard it was, i would ask for help or do whatever i had to do for the sake of the baby...

Be honest, talk to the doctor...Like they mentioned up above, the doctors WILL know when this child is born. They see this kind of stuff all the time, so they know what to look for. If they find out that this baby is addicted, the baby WILL be taken away, and the person that had the baby WILL get into some serious trouble! I am sure you don't want this to happen, so i think you know what you need to do.

One more thing, where i live actually this had just happend not long ago. I was reading about it in the local paper. They took the baby away and placed in foster home, and she ended up going to court and is now serving time in our local jail, waiting for another trial that will determine wether or not she will get sent to prison and if so for how long.

OK enough said! Think you get the picture as to what can happen...
Good luck, hope you choose to do the right thing.

Hope
whether or not you stop smoking crack now or not, the drug is still in the amnio fluid.  that will not go away ... i had a friend who wz smoking crack while she wz pregnant and she too denied she wz doing drugs ... well, unfortunetly, since she wz on state aid at the time all babies are to be tested ... now whether they actually test ALL babies who knows, but her's wz tested.  she claimed that she hadn't smoked since she found out when she wz 4 months, but it does stay in the amnio fluid.....unfortunately for her, she lost all 3 of her children, her house, job, car ... all because of crack ...  she had been warned by other people that they may test, could test or would test but she figured since it had been a while there would be no way to tell .... Everything you put into your system stays in the amnio fluid ... ugh! so frustrating that people can not put their unborn children ahead of them and their own problems to have a healthy child ... sad sad sad ...
flash forward 14 years....................an 8th grade student asks her special ed teacher to help her control her behavior...................the teacher can't.  The girls' brain chemistry is maladjusted permanently.   The girl has to go to the local thug school even she is bright and could be so much more................her mom smoked crack.
I pray she misses that friday appt.  which it sounds as if she will.  but once the babys born unfortunately the doc will know and its too late and the baby will be taken away I hope  its my understanding it works that way.......if you lie like she is doing
I am begging you, and I don't even know you.  Please !!!!!!  You've got to do something.  tell confidentially........Can you live with yourself knowing this. I sure as hell couldn't.  How old are you dear.?

Nauty.........
Does anyone understand what bagging a unborn babys urine means?  I am a bit lost on what she is saying.........if there is such a procedure or whatever it means.........can we all pray her mother misses her Friday appt.

Nauty....................
I am very troubled with your posts.  You have never expressed concern for the baby - only concern that the doctor will find out "the mother" has been doing drugs.  You never asked about birth defects or problems to the unborn baby, only about doctors finding out about the drugs.  That worries me.  A LOT.
I agree with Rise Above. What about the baby? I can tell you that my mother is raising 2 children not blood related who were born addicted to crack. Although they have no "OBVIOUS" birth defects, they strugle everyday with schoool and life"in general." I don't know what hey could do in this day in age to help alleviate some or any of those efects, but it is worth trying for sure. I don't know abot you,but i don't think I could sleep at night doing things the way you"seem" to be doing currently.I feel the adult involved here has had their chance to escape the consequences, but the child has not even had one chance. Do the right thing. Yo can always get yourself right and then get the child when you are ready.
Ihad been taking vicodin for a long time ,went to the dr.  found out i was pregnate. I imediatley stoped the vicodin the second i found out ! I was also a coach for a girlfriend of my boyfriends friend when she had twins. I did not have a clue that she had been using crack during her whole pregnacy!When she was in labor the nurses came in and asked her what was going on with her cuz she wasnt in any kind of pain or was not happy that she was going to see those beautiful twin babys for the first time she seemed so out of it.well needless to say when she had them they was very cranky , had to be put in the nicu,for a month .as soon as they were born the doc found that she had been smoking crack and thank god never let the skank touch them. Thank god!i havent spoke to her til this day n prob never will. Those twins are now 6yrs old adopted with two loving parents . Please do the right thing so this child has a chance . God bless this inocent baby!
I think you all need to come off of your high horses. An addict is an addict whether she is pregnant or not. Hurray for you that you think you would have stopped using immediately after finding out you were pregnant.  Some woman cannot and need help, some woman are in denial, etc. Addicts remember?

I agree that someone needs to step in for the baby's sake though it seems mom is pretty far along, it should have been done much earlier.

Do you think it's easier to stop using because you're pregnant? That the same rules of denial, etc. don't apply? I know you are all feeling for the baby as I am but please, I can't believe I am in a forum for addicts.
Yes, we are all addicts.  But addicts can still have feelings.  Was I the best mother when I was using?  No.  Did I put my kids in the middle of a life they didn't deserve?  Yes.  But even being wrong, I still felt terrible.  Being pregnant doesn't make it easier to quit and I understand that, but what I don't understand is the lack of concern for the baby.  You can need help and still care about your baby.  
Hello!!!!!!  I deliver babies for a living.  You must tell your doc about this addiction before birth.  They need to be prepared for what is going to happen.  The baby will be born and if not treated immediatly for withdrawl (withdrawal) it will probably not make it.  Plus, I'm sure the baby will be small.  Best to suck it up and save the child.  Don't you think?

Charlie
Addicts steal from their mothers and use while pregnant, unfortunately it's the nature of the disease and I'm afraid this judgemental reaction will drive away someone seeking help. .  I agree with all that the mom needs to quit for the baby's sake and for her own, but the good news is that I know 2 crack babies who have no physical or mental problems now after counseling and good adoptive parents, going to college.
I agree, addiction makes us do things we thought we would never do.  I did things I can't even bring myself to write.  That is what happens.  I know she came here for help, but I'm afraid she came for help on how to hide the drug use from her doctor, not help on how to quit or what she could do to help herself and her child.  Did she once ask about the effects this could have on the baby?  No.  She asked how long it would stay in the baby's system to be able to be detected.  We all need help, pregnant or not.  I'm just afraid she doesn't want help for her and her baby, she just wants help to keep her addiction a secret.
She didn't come back. Doubt she will come back. She probably sold the computer by now!

This is a difficult post to read. It is heartbreaking. Maybe if we stop posting, it will go to archives.

We have many pregnant women who come in here for support and we are by far on an kind of a high horse...........many of the women that come in here are always encouraged to tell their doctors what is happening and many because of this forum have because of the support here.  I understand what you are saying, but blatant disregard for an unborn child and the concern of hiding the facts rather than addressing them is not what anybody I have ever seen is about here.  This daughter very well may be on crack too.......I don't know whats happening, but all we have and will always continue to do in this forum is to encourage sobriety and coming clean does not just mean suffering withdrawals.  Shame on this forum for being concerned about this woman's neglect and disregard for her child........Please.  Give me a break.
OMG - How often is she using.  There was the 80s crack babies but there are new studies that suggest that these babies are not as bad off as once thought - with that being said they are more fussy and have smaller head sizes.  I suggest she get help and they are born addicted as the one poster said.  This is very sad.  I would research on the internet "crack and pregnancy."  You will find lots of info.  Most of these babies go on to have normal lives if in the right place - raised in a home of love.  This women needs to get help.  It may not be an issue of her not loving her baby but she can't stop this is a powerful drug.  I suggest you do tell the dr or warn her that you will if she doesn't get help.  At this point talk to her in a loving way.  If she is not using every day and once in a while I am not sure that the baby will be that bad off.  There is no such thing as a crack baby - that is what I feel.  I dob;t want to attack a person who is using crack while prenant because they really need love an support as all other people but there is a line to be drawen some women don't care either.  I don't that is what I think and other will disagree.  
Crack is the devils drug - my BF was using at the time I was pregnant and I left him because of it
"She didn't come back. Doubt she will come back. She probably sold the computer by now! "

EXCUSE ME???????

Let me shed a little light on this situation for everyone, ok. This is a family member I'm writing about.
To be honest....this is her 3rd (yes, 3rd) "drug baby". She's got 2 older ones who she said she was clean and serene with. I believe her. And the irony is....it's the 2 OLDEST ones who have all the problems!

The 2 little ones (these are stairwell kids - ages 2, 1 and now a soon to be newborn) she admitted using drugs all the way up until a few hours of her delivery. The 1st one she never got caught. She again never once admitted to using and they never bagged the urine. He was 6 something. 6-10 I believe. He's 2. To this day, he's FINE. Hyper as hell (what 2 y.o. isn't?) and he gets speech therapy for a mild speech delay. The 1 y.o., a girl, has a BIG OL' HEAD (I read a few posts about crack babies coming out small???). This girl was 8 lbs, 6 ozs. Does that sound like a typical "Crack baby" to you???? The only reason why they bagged that ones urine, is because she says at the time, she was in a shelter apartment and made the mistake of telling her doctor that. The dr in turn made her speak to a social worker and the social worker asked her "any history of drugs or alcohol use" and she said "of course" and it went in her file. They never bothered her until the baby was born. And the 2 of them were born at the same hospital.

I, too, am a recovering addict. And I've read a lotta stuff off of my question and it's like everyone's already condemned this lady (my cousin) for getting high while she's pregnant. You don't know her! SHE'S AN ADDICT AND SHE NEEDS HELP NOT A DAMN CONVICTION!!!!!!

She really is a damn good mother!!! She's what we call a "functioning addict", even though I've always said there's no such thing as an addict who functions. If that was the case, I'd be sitting here taking a hit as I type, LMAO (laughing my *** off). Seriously, though. Yeah, the **** has caught up to her. THE LAST thing she needs is to have her kids taken away! there's ALWAYS food in the house from what I've seen, all 4 of the kids are CLEAN, WELL GROOMED and don't want for nothing! So let's please not JUDGE anyone. Sobriety is NOT about being judged, last I knew.

I'll keep you all updated on the situation. She suffers heavily from depression and I'm going with her tomorrow to a psych appointment, so that is a small step into her getting her life back together.

Oh by the way...the 1 y.o. girl is SMART AS HELL!!!! She's like 14 months and she says like 6 or 7 words. She holds up 1 (cute, fat) little finger when you ask her how old she is. She even says "take it" when she's trying to give you something.

I believe someone mentioned that crack babies these days are NOT what they were in the 80's. This little girl is the baby of 4 kids and gets a TON of time and attention. I personally think that's "why" she's so bright. I'm over there all the time and have been there while the 2 y.o.'s speech therapist is there and even she says the 1 y.o. is a little advanced.

I think if the kids are in a ****** drug infested environment....YEAH they're gonna be troublesome kids. But then on the flip side...you got people who can burn both ends of the candle (for a while at least) and have a functioning life.
Addicts have a blatant disregard for everything except getting high. Just because she is pregnant makes her no less of an addict and I am afraid that some of the more judgemental  posts would do no good except to make her not come back here where she could get some advice and tough love but in such a way as to encourage her to post more and perhaps learn something or take some action.

I agree that it seems as if she was maybe more concerned about hiding the fact that she was using but as we already know addicts are selfish and self serving as well.

If you were concerned about her neglect and disregard for her unborn baby maybe your posts should have been a wee bit less judgemental/harsh to encourage some kind of dialogue instead of scaring her away.

We don't know the whole story. She may have been speaking about herself but to ashamed to say so, we just don't know.

If she is reading this I would encourage her to tell her doctor as they will know anyway once the baby is born but at least maybe the medical team can be proactive and know what to expect when the baby is born so they can be on the lookout for potential problems.

Isn't this a support site for addicts? One poster referred to someone she knew as a "skank" because she was using while pregnant. Very nice indeed.
Glad to see you are back. You have my sincere appology for my harsh comments. Please understand a few things:

Your original post left a lot of room for interrpretation. You did not explain the whole story. You were not honest about who it was. It was "implied" that it was you. Secondly, this is a huge forum and people come and go. There are people who post here for shock value. Sad, but true. When someone posts somethign as urgent as your post was, and they don't return, it is often times assumed that it was a shock post. Again, I am sorry. I thought that is wht it was.

I am glad that you did return and that you did explain the whole story. I will keep your cousin in my prayers. That is all I can do.
I have to say , I can understand why people are upset over this post . The post seemed to be geared toward being concerned about who long the crack would stay in the babies system, not for the baby or even concern for the addicted mother .
The doctors do need to know she is a "functioning addict" they do need to bag the urine . the mother needs to get into some type of program to help herself ( helping her kids in the process). I really wish her the best I hope she get the help she needs .I hope in ten years the kids are doing as well as they seem to be now .
Avis
think if the kids are in a ****** drug infested environment....YEAH they're gonna be troublesome kids. But then on the flip side...you got people who can burn both ends of the candle (for a while at least) and have a functioning life.

Well then there is nothing to worry about.  She's clearly "functioning" as you say.

Just because 2 of her babies she had while she was using drugs "appear" to be fine now doesn't mean problems won't arise later and even if they don't, why is she still tempting fate and using with this one??  Maybe she DOES need a convinction to straighten herself out, take this seriously and get the help she needs.  It seems to me that as long as the kids are "healthy" and "smart" that she will never see what she's doing as wrong because there are no apparent consequences for her actions.
I am an addict and I am not judging as I've done things as well BUT she DOES need help and the disease of addiction progresses over time so that one day she might not be able to take care of them the way she is now and they might very well wind up living in one of the ****** up drug houses like you say so why not get her help NOW before it's too late for her kids AND for her.  And if she won't go herself which is evident then she needs her kids to be taken away until she's got some significant clean time and stops being so selfish.
When you are going to write such a misleading post..You will get misleading feedback..The whole post started out to where no one even wanted to comment on it , because all we could think about was the baby and the situation as it seemed when she posted...So no one is to blame except for the one who first posted it, then came back to jump on everyone , for her mistakes...
Me, i still feel sorry for the children...I am not being judgemental, because i feel sorry for my own children, that is why i am clean and doing better with that...
r2r
i am truely sorry to hear about your cousins addictions....its a hard thing to rid of....she may have healthy children but that dont mean this one will be...I was pregnet and just lost my child...I had been on vicodine for 4 years...and was using them and never knew i was pregnet...when I found out I freeked out about it but it was too late...thats why i started coming to this forum.  I was completly honest with the doctor and she never said pain drugs were the cause....but I cant help feel it was....she needs help and I hope she understands that someday her children will know she is using,,,even if she is a good mother...and coming from a alcoholic father I had a very hard time growing up as a teenager...I dont really drink to this day because of it. Please dont quit coming back,,,,there are some people on here who want to help...just be careful how you post....babys are a very sensitive issue...its not just one life but two that we are talking about here...more if you inclue the other children...and even though they may not have problems now...they may when they grow older and see what is going on....I am not in anyway judging you or your family,,,only giving you my experiences and hoping they may help...I know that God helps me get through all of this...
We are all good at giving advice, but not taking our own. I am judgmental on this issue because I have seen these infants in the neonatal units and its' so damm disturbing that you just forget about the mothers.  She knows shes an addict and should keep her legs crossed like a proper lady addict.  Sorry, but the whole thing makes me sick........

Nauty...............
You are really harsh.
Some were really kind and from the heart.
ok, obviously this is a very emotional situation for some people.  even for me.  but i thought i would offer you some facts.  i already wrote you about what i thought would happen.  but, i have asked a friend of mine who is an ER doctor in NYC.  he says that the doctors will know when the child is born that he/she is going through withdrawal.  he said that from the moment the child is born, the withdrawal begins.  so, even if there are no obvious physical deformities at birth, after a few minutes/hours of this childs life the withdrawal symptoms will be seen by the docotors.  i trust this doctor friend of mine very much, so i think he is right.  i have an addiction myself to pain killers and i fear the day i might want to start a family cause i dont know how i will get off the pills.  so, i do feel for this woman very much.  there have been a lot of harsh things said about her.  while i agree that what she is doing is very wrong....she has a big problem.  we all have problems here.  i hope this information helps you make a decision about telling the doctors about this womans drug use.  they should know before the child is born so they can have the right medication and such ready to treat the child when it is born.  this child is going to have a very tough time in its first few hours/days of life.  it should get the best treatment possible, no??  good luck lisac!!  
I did not know  I was pregnant and did coke for the first 3 months of my pregnancy.
We were one of the lucky ones, I stayed clean, took care of myself, and got through that ibe by the seat of my pants.  However, my son was  born with some learning issues.  They did not show up until 14 yrs later, Get clean for your baby.  IF yo care enough for your baby you can do it.
this is a very old thread