Addiction: Social Community
Howard Hughes and opiates

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

Howard Hughes and opiates

This may be WAY off base here but I watched a show last night about Las Vegas and how the city was started.  Around 1965 Howard Huges checked into the 9th floor of a hotel and did not leave for 4 years...how strange.  Over the years I have always wondered why this Billionaire was so reclusive.  I understand that being that rich will do it for most people but the narrator last night said that he was "hopelessly addicted to narcotics due to chronic back pain."  The last 3 years of his life seemed pure hell according to this person.  He would sit in his room with his mind going back and fourth from clarity to the worst "brain fog" a person could imagine.  The narrator never mentioned how much or how long Huges was on narcotics but just think how bad it must have been for him.

Last February during the height of my Fentanyl addiction I remember just barely being able to focus for days on end...like I was floating on air and nothing seemed to matter.  I was to change this Fentanyl patch every 48 hours and I could not wait for that 2nd day to come...my life revolved around those damn patches.  My wife even mentioned one night that my skin and eyes were "turning yellow."  That is the exact moment in time that I knew I had a problem...a few weeks later I went cold turkey to get off that ****.  I guess that is why I'm so scared to quit this very small addiction problem I have now.  

Can anyone imagine how hard it must have been back in the 50's and 60's for people addicted to narcotics to get help or quit?  Just imagine how hard it is now and times that my a thousand 40 years ago.
Interesting, I have never heard that before about him.
Yes, I've never heard about him being an addict but he never left his bed and wore a diaper.
My girlfriend died from
Injecting fentanyl two years ago. Not only is it foolish to inject such a potent pain medication it is a very dangerous situation when you become addicted to it. It is not a matter of if you die, but when. Withdrawal from narcotics is a dangerous game, the worst of the discomfort any addict will tell you comes on the third day and lasts till the fourth. This is the dangerous time, low blood pressure can lead to seizures and respiratory failure.Any body with any true knowledge about addiction will tell you that a medical detox is the only safe way, then getting help for the reasons why you are taking part in such a life destroying activity. You did not start shooting one of the most potent narcotics known to man JUST TO SEE HOW IT FEELS. You need help buddy; good luck with recovery and god bless.