Addiction: Social Community
Just wondering. How many of us addicts smoke?

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

I am almost 4 months of cigs now. I seem to see a pattern here. I guess it is our addictive ways.
How many smoke? How many quit?
I have tried before to quit but I think taking hydro all those years kept me smoking as well as just wanting to smoke.
I did smoke more when taking the hydro.

Terry
I smoke...my only bad habit now!!
4 months already??? Wow Terry, you have my eternal admiration. I do smoke and it's probably the last thing I'll do on my death bed....There's NO WAY for me to kick that habit.
Congrats sweetie!!!
xoxoxo. Sophie.
Just a side note here that when I QUIT taking Norco (8-10 / day x's 3 years for 2 back surgeries) I INCREASED my nasty smoking habit.... my friend said it had to do with the stress factor... I dunno... but, I have DECREASED my nasty smoking habit a little as I now have 32 days off of those darn pills and my NEXT DEMON to kick will be my nicotine habit.... wish me luck....as I'll wish everyone else out there luck too!!
Thanks Sophie. Gotta say it is harder for me fighting this then it is fighting the pill thing.
Somedays it is a really hard fight...other days I don't even think about them.
I learned a lot getting off pills and used all that I learned to help with the cigs.

Don't get me wrong, I could walk into 7-11 and buy 3 packs and light up everyone of those bad boys right there. Addiction is a bit$#!!!! in any form.
Norcoqueen I do wish you luck!!!!!!

Terry
Never been addicted to pills, nicotine was my only bad habit in life and that addicion is killing me. Slowly but surely! I have emphysema, moderate stage, diagnosed a year ago come October.  It has taken me this long to attempt to face the addiction again. This time I choose to smoke or breathe. I cannot have them both.  I choose to breathe. My last cig was ast 10:pm last night. Cold turkey and not cause I want to cause I dont. I enjoy it.  However, I enjoy breathing also and I just pray I acted in time!  Please pray.
Ahh tek. I know you did it in time! I also really liked it. But the money, tasting oh and the smells WOW!

I will keep you in my prayers. 1 min,1 hour,1 day at a time.

Terry
i do smoke, however, when i quit taking pills i could not smoke for a few days, they just tasted nasty, i should have just quit then!
Doing my best to quit. Have had some slips in the past 5 days, but I'm really gonna do it this time.  I was a 2 1/2 pack a day smoker.  I'm using the patch......it's keeping me from killing people. lol   The irritability is the worst.  
I keep telling myself ........smoking is just not an option anymore.  I can't afford it and I'm sure they are only going to get more expensive.  Just not an option.
I quit the three and a half pack a day 3 years ago then 6 months after was my first time "getting clean" I stayed clean for about 6 months before I used for three weeks . That was two years ago .so for me siggys went first

3 years at the end of the month somkefree
OMG..I agree the cigs are harder to stop than the hydro...I also agree that my pill habit made me want to smoke more...

I am trying to stop...I am down to 1 or 2 cigs a day...night time is the hardest time...some days I dont smoke any...but there are days I do...I am taking Bupropion...which is also used as a anti depressate...but it works great on the smoking....talked to dr about meds to help stop smoking..was scared of what I had heard..dr recomended this...

I was a smoker also, probably 22 yrs give or take, but Aug. 11 was 3yrs as an x-smoker. I wish all who are quitting the best of luck, and to all that have quit congrats. tab

I'm quiting the smokes too. Yesterday would have been day 5 no smokes, but I blew it!   LOL, I caught Mary hiding ciggs, so I had to help her smoke them. So now I must start over.
Pain pills made me smoke like crazy.
I still smoke. What can I say, it's a bad habit but I like it. It's also the only thing in my life that is probably slowly killing me that I have some control over, considering all the poisons in our air, food, water, etc...

There is a sense of empowerment in knowing that I'm doing something that I'M making the bad choice about doing and not the powers that be.

The only reason I consider quitting is it's getting cost prohibitive.

smoker here for many years...tried to quit a few times unsuccessfully...i have cut back since i can t smoke at work...Lord forbid you smoke in a bar here in Ohio...lol...i tghink i smoked much more on pills...one of these days i will quit when i reallly want to..maria :)
pack a day for 22 years now
SMOKED----QUIT------SMOKE AGAIN----------STORY OF MY LIFE.  OH, UNTIL THE LUNG CANCER.......OIY!!
I smoke...I quit....I smoke...I quit...I enjoy it...but they're getting too darned expensive to it's time to quit again...I usually find it easy to quit...but lately, especially since working from home...a cup of coffee and a cigarette before starting work, or when taking a break, or after work (where I'll smoke 4 or 5)...I rarely smoked when I worked in the office..we don't smoke in the house so it's outside or in the garage...and as it gets cooler, I imagine I'll be cutting back..

Speaking of getting cooler...it's been getting down to the 40's and 50s at night here in New Hampshire and 70's during the day...people start closing their pools labor day weekend...

with apologies to "the boss"  I'm working on a dream to move to Georgia

Jim
I smoke and I have a struggle with codeine. Maybe smoking is the true gateway drug? They say it's pot. But pot heads seem a lot happier than we do xD
Now that I am down to less than it says on the bottle, I want to quit smoking too but I am a habit smoker. The hardest to quit. I usually have a smoke in my hand that I don't remember lighting. And I feel "ghost" cigarettes in my hand when I am not smoking.. I double check my hand before I put it under blankets and stuff. It is like when someone loses a limb and they still feel it.
I also try to take drags off of chap sticks, pens, lighters and some foods lol. Then I laugh because I looked like an idiot.
So I dunno what to do or how to start..
Yes, I seem to see the connection as well. Norco for me too! I had to pause for a minute to make sure I wasn't reading my own post. I posted a similar question myself! I am in full addiction right now with both Norco and smoking. I am ready to get better ASAP! Good luck to you!
I gave up smoking 10 yrs ago.