Addiction: Social Community
Librium vs ativan

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

Librium vs ativan

Does anyone know if librium is as good as ativan for panic/anxiety disorder?
i know they are very different drugs.  one i believe is an anti-depressant (librium) and the other an anti-anxiety.

i don't know much about either tho, so it's really best to get a doc's opinion.  especially since everyone reacts differently to different meds...

i don't think especially the librium is something you wanna mess with without a doctor's care...

good luck,
mj
My ex was on librium for post tramatic stress... I always thought it was a heavy duty drug.
... and my bro was on it when he was young, after a "psychotic break."  he was like a zombie on it...

not to say it's not good for some.. i just don't know who!!!
They have me on 5mg ativan and 15mg valium daily now,that along with the pain meds,I'm not a zombie,but I'm not the life of the party either.
Librium is in the same class of minor tranquilizer as Ativan -- both are benzodiazipines or "benzos" for short.  Librium dates from the 1950's; Ativan is much more recent.  Both work for anxiety.  Librium and Valium were first produced and marketed around the same time.  They are very similar in effect. To my knowledge, the only FDA-approved medication for panic disorder is Xanax (alprazolam is the generic).  It's available in sublingual tabs now (placed under tongue for faster effect).  Please note that abusing benzos and then cold turkeying off of them is very dangerous -- convulsions, hallucinations, etc.  I just want to be sure you and all who read this are aware that benzos aren't the harmless 'little helpers' they were once viewed to be!  I hope this is of some help.  Mike

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT. MY NEW DOCTOR CHANGED MY ATIVAN 1MG 3 TIMES PRN TO LIBRIUM 10MG 3 TIMES PRN. I HAVE BEEN ON THE ATIVAN FOR OVER 10 YRS.I WAS DOING FINE. THIS IS FOR ANXIETY. THEY WILL NOT PRESCRIBE ME ZANAX?? WHAT IS THE MAJOR DIFFERANCE BETWEEN ATIVAN AND LIBRIUM??  JUL
Ativan is very effective for panic attacks. It is a newer benzo drug and "works better" than say librium. However ativan is the memory eraser.  Very hard on short term memory. It gives me brain fog the next day. I take at night only. When I was on librium my anxiety was higher but my cognitive was higher too.
Ativan (lorazepam) and Librium (chlordiazepoxide) are very similar medications. Their indications (prescribed purposes) vary. Librium is now used primarily for detoxification purposes, and Ativan for anxiety/panic disorder. Twenty five milligrams of Librium is relatively equivalent to one milligram of Ativan in its effectiveness and duration, but Ativan is usually prefered by the patient and has higher abuse potential and potential for diversion. Librium has been used for fifty years. It's efficacy is well established, overdose is unlikely, it has little to no recreational potential, but as an anxiolytic(anti-anxiety medication) it is indespensible. In my opinion it should be utilized more often, especially in patients with anxiety/panic disorder that is not well controlled with buspirone, pregabalin,   or that are likely to abuse or divert a more potent benzo-diazepene.
I want to make sure I have this clear.  You recomment the Librium over the Lorazapam for anxiety/panic disorder?   I live in a tiny town and have a Dr who isn't a Dr........ and she just pops out an electronic device and prescribes whatever is says....  she has really messed up.  At this point, I have Lorazapam from her with a big threat about no refill w/o blood test.  I am 63 and in good health other than my 'head' .   Another Dr. said Librium would be good but he couldn't prescribe it over the PA's Lorazapam.  I just want what works best when I need it.