Addiction: Social Community
Liver function

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

Liver function

Can you get Cirrhosis of the liver with painkiller and sleeping tablet addiction??
eventually it may
You may not get Cirrhosis but if your abusing pain meds with tylenol it will cause irreparable damage to your liver cells.
It depends on how much you take and for how long.
"Can you get Cirrhosis of the liver with painkiller and sleeping tablet addiction?? "

Painkillers and sleeping tablets will not cause Cirrhosis of the liver. Other medications like certain anti-fungals can. Certain medications can cause further harm if you already have some form of liver disease.

"Drugs that may cause CHRONIC LIVER DISEASE"
Drugs that may cause active chronic hepatitis:
1)acetaminophen (chronic use, large doses)
2)dantrolene
3)methyldopa
4)isoniazid
5)nitrofurantoin

Drugs that may cause liver cirrhosis or fibrosis (scarring)
1)methotrexate
2)terbinafine HCI (Lamisil, Sporanox)
3)nicotinic acid

"What are the causes of the inflammation that leads to cirrhosis of the liver?"
1)Alcohol excess: the rate of cirrhosis in a country is directly related to the average alcohol consumption in that country. Half of all cases of cirrhosis are due to alcohol excess.
2)Non-alcoholic steato-hepatitis (NASH): a very important and increasing cause for cirrhosis is non alcoholic steato-hepatitis (NASH) or fatty liver (NAFLD). In this condition excess fat is deposited in the liver leading to inflammation and then cirrhosis. NASH is due to insulin resistance and is particularly seen in diabetics, those who are over-weight and patients with high blood fat levels. In the USA, NASH now accounts for 50 per cent of new cirrhosis cases.
3)Chronic viral hepatitis: the two most important viruses are hepatitis B and hepatitis C. Cirrhosis due to hepatitis B is common in Africa and Asia. Hepatitis C is increasing in importance both in Europe and the US. Hepatitis A (infectious hepatitis) does not cause cirrhosis.
4)Primary biliary cirrhosis: this is an uncommon disease mainly affecting women. It is not due to alcohol. For some reason the body mounts an attack on the liver in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis. This is known as an autoimmune disease.
5)Autoimmune chronic active hepatitis: another uncommon condition that results in the body's immune system attacking and destroying liver cells.
6)Drugs and chemicals: a number of drugs and chemicals can cause liver damage but few cause cirrhosis. Certain specialised drugs need monitoring for their effect on the liver.
7)Metabolic and inherited disorders: These are a number of uncommon conditions that allow the accumulation of toxins in the liver. The commonest is haemochromatosis, which causes excess deposits of iron in the liver.

Good Luck to you

Here's a link to info I posted

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/cirrhosisliver.htm

http://www.hepcnet.net/drugsandliverdamage.html
As per my knowledge Painkillers and sleeping pills will not cause Cirrhosis of the liver but I am not 100% sure as I came to know from a friend who is doctor but you need to double check with some one. I personally believe you should not trust anyone blindly because any false knowledge can cause serious health issues.