Addiction: Social Community
Methadone and weight gain

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

Methadone and weight gain

Does methadone cause weight gain and a 'FLUSHED FACE' look..????

Just wondering, as I have a friend who is on methadone and seems to have these symtoms (symptoms)...
Yes it does in some the weight gain in many..
Hello
I am on methadone and yes it can cause weight gain but it because sugar crave you get. I posted a great info on methadone in the health pages its on last page titled methadone info or just methadone and has all kinds info on it.
everyones different. it was just the opposite for me. after getting off it, I suffered what all long term users do, and thats energy and motivation drop off. so not being as active has made me gain weight after quiting.....not a ton but about 10-15 lbs.  
I gained about 20 pounds while on this stuff.  Tapering off right now.  Down to 60mg and will hit 55 on Thursday.  Holliee's right.  You just crave sugar like crazy.  I wasn't much of a candy person but when I started taking the methadone I just wanted it constantly.  I can already tell a little difference in the cravings since starting to come down.  
Any input on the FLUSHED FACE LOOK  while on methadone?  Is that part of the symptoms?  
thats historically a sign of booze.....

are they drinking too?
Never had the flushed face look.  Had my face break out more than usual and I have never had problems with my skin, not even in my teens.  Luckily, that's going away.  Everyone's body responds differently.
Okay.. that makes since as I'm THINKIN' they're..Drinkin!

Actually, I got something like that (flushed face); but  I've got a preexisting tendency towards it; a number of things can do it to me. I'm also VERY pale (Irish) which makes it show up easily.

The weight gain... it is debated if it is just developing an appetite or methadone causing it. I didn't have the problem. Then again, I eat very little, often twice, once a day.
i took methadone for 2 years im a 31 year old female weighing 115 lbs. before  the dones now 92 lbs. nasty look like a crack *****. detoxing right now cant wait to get fatter. craved sugar all day long. cant wait to be sober
hello all, YES methadone does cause weight gain...ALOT of weight for some people.It seems to cause it more in women than men. I am on the methadone clinic now, and have been for a few years!! Not my plan of course, but if you use for a long time, it will obviously take a long time to feel "normal" again (no it does not cause you to feel "buzzed,@the clinic it is liquid and time-released) as well as get your sh-t together.Anyway, for me it took a while to gain alot of weight. It's weird before i got on the clinic i was taking methadone wafers or pills and i was 110lbs. and i am 5'8" so yeah i was kinda gross looking. after about 3 mos.on the clinic i gained 20lbs. which i welcomed i looked healthy, felt great, no more pale skin and dark circles.As my late boyfriend said "the sparkle in my eyes came back".  About 1 yr later i swear it was like i went to bed thin and woke up fat!! it was like overnight for me. i went from 130lbs to 180lbs. and i did not eat junk food EVER..NO SUGAR. i found out that the higher the dose the more your metabolism slows..To make this long story short i got up to 230lbs!!!! i am small boned so it was pure fat. i refused to look that way.. as much as it sucked i cut my dose in half.(slowly) also drink tons of water, eat well and LOTS of exercise. I am now 165lbs and i'm ok with that i'm working on getting off of the methadone clinic. It's been a long road, don't listen to what anyone says about how high your dose is or how long you have been taking it. It is NONE of their business it's an individual choice and lets face it it's better than using and all the risks involved and .who wants to be an overdose statistic.????NOT ME!! 1 more thing, methadone causes sweating. For me it was SO GROSS.and weird only my face and head sweat.Of course the worst places!!!strangers were like omg are you ok? so if anyone reading this has this problem try using EVENING PRIMROSE gel tabs they are in with the vitamins and inexpensive.They do take a week or so to work but trust me if you are a professionall or work with the public you can relate and should definitely take them  :) PEACE ;)
Hi Krymzin.  You and I have a lot in common and although I've never chatted online or responded to any online forums, I felt compelled to write and thank you for what you wrote about methadone and weight gain.  I, too, am a recovering addict.  I have been clean for four and a half years.  I am prescribed methadone because I have degenerative disc disease in all three levels of my spine.  I became severely addicted to oxycotin when I was being prescribed it by one of my former pain doctors and I started snorting it and shooting it so needless to say, I can't take that anymore.  Since I have to take some form of pain meds to control the chronic pain that comes from the spine disease, my doctors thought methadone would be the best thing.  I've been taking it for the entire four and a half years of my sobriety, and it does help with the pain and I don't get a buzz from it so I don't abuse it.  However, I have gained a lot of weight and I am experiencing a lot of depression from it.  I feel so lame and vain for saying that, but I can't help it.  I have always been around 115 pounds and now I weigh 194.  I have a wonderful husband who tells me that I am still beautiful no matter what, but I know that it has to bother him deep down.  He is a beautiful man and I always see other women (prettier, skinner women) checking him out and most likely wondering what in the hell he's doing with me.  My self esteem used to be awesome and now it's terrible (as you can probably tell).  I was diagnosed this past summer (in July) with a thyroid disease and I know that also contributes to the weight gain, but I've been dealing with the weight issues for over four years and the thyroid problems just started this past year.  I'm taking medication for my thyroid and my endochronologist is the first one who finally told me that she thought the methadone was most likely causing a lot of the weight gain.  Anyway, that's my story at this point, but I wanted to thank you for sharing and being so positive about things because it means a lot to me to know that I can lose weight if I can my dose in half.  I know that my doctor won't want me to, but I would like to do it anyway if it will cause me to lose weight.  I think my doctor has me on too much anyway.  I would love to weight 165 pounds like you.  I don't want to be too skinny.  I like having a figure, but I want to be able to look in the mirror and not want to cry everytime.  I also have two sons, aged 8 and 11.  I wish you much luck and happiness.  Thanks for what you wrote.
i totally gained weight too! i eat well and started working out again. I was thinking is must be due to the methadone, causing a slower metabolism. I now know thAT  is true, after reading some posts. I really want to get off it. I sweat like a freakin PIG!!!!! It is so embarassing when i'm at work. My dr. gave me pills called "Vesicare", for the sweating. It is usually prescribed for people who have a weak bladder and pee a lot.  Anyways, it doesnt help with the sweating, at least for me it doesnt. I did read about someone suggesting Evening Primrose vitamins. I will certainly try that. I successfully weaned off methadone 8yrs ago with minimal withdrawal symptoms!! I was so proud of myself. It was a very very  slow process, going down a tiny amount every week or every two weeks. That is the key to success! GO SLOW!! Then i got myself hooked on pain killers and i am now on it AGAIN!! ARGG! i am on a way higher dose than before(125mls). I hate the side effects so i will ween again. I`d love to do the RAPID DETOX, where they  put u under for awhile. Anyone know much about this and is it available in canada
Hi, Ive been on methadone for almost 7 yrs.  I was taking 80 mg a day and gained 30 lbs.  Since August of this year Ive been tapering down real slow and am now at 22 mg a day.  I have lost 18 lbs.  But I also run every day but I always have even when taking 80 mg.  I think tapering methadone helps with weight loss, but you also need to exercise and really watch what you eat, cut out sweets as much as possible it makes you crave them.  I used to eat icecream every night and never did before taking methadone.  I cant wait until Im completely off this EVIL drug!!!!  Good luck to all of you!