Addiction: Social Community
Moral/Ethical dilemma...help

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

Moral/Ethical dilemma...help

So as you guys know I am studying to be a drug and alcohol worker...

Today a fellow class mate posted a link on a social networking website. This classmate found our EXACT assessment tasks online...complete with answers and fully intends on using it to cheat. They claimed the very reason for posting the link was because it had all the answers (mind you this is a person who has been a nurse for a long time and should know better).

Cheating goes against my morals and i personally feel obligated (along with a duty of care) to future drug/alcohol dependent people seeking assistance and to the profession, to tell our teacher. This is not because i want to dob them in, but because i believe that  ALL clients deserve the best assistance possible....and for whoever chooses to use the link provided to cheat ..well their skills and knowledge really aren't being tested at all.

I was debating whether to go see my teacher and just ask where they got the assessment from and mention that the assignment along with all the answers are all on the internet (without mentioning names of classmates)and that i feel as though we should be given another one or do i just let it go and concentrate on getting the assignment done the RIGHT WAY...

Morally for me...what they are doing is not right...and ethically by saying nothing I am letting this person and the others choosing to use this information to get into a very important profession by cheating...

If i do speak to the teacher it will more than likely cause gossip/tension and everyone asking each other "was it you"...and on the social networking website and all other kinds of problems....this is an extra stress i don't want to have to deal with.

As you might be able to tell, I'm feeling quite distressed about this :\ I know that here is not really the right place to be discussing this....but i don't know what else to do. I asked my mother and she said not to say anything as it was their choice, to keep out of it and so long as i do the right thing that's what matters (which doesn't feel right).

What do i do? What would you do? Am i just over-thinking and reading more into it? (i do that a lot)

I'm even taking a massive risk posting this on here...

see my dilemma? :\
  • update (5 replies):
    ok, have to go to ER for assessment tomorrow, pretty pos...[more]
Hi--I would tend to agree with your Mom...Understandably,this is YOUR moral dilemma not the other person's. I understand the predicament you feel you're in,believe me. You're
serious about what you're doing and you want others to be the same idealist you are. It never works quite that way in life; it's an imperfect world...

I wouldn't say anything because these types of people tend to be "found out" along the way. If they're dishonest with school work, they're dishonest in other areas and they'll get caught.  Also, don't underestimate you're instructor. He/she is probably aware that this person is an imposter in their own life!

I've been in these types of predicaments with fellow students and co workers. The only time I've ever stepped in was when I felt that a patient or client would be harmed in the process. That's where I draw the line!!

You need to do what makes you feel the most comfortable,though. You're the one that has to live with it!

Congratulations on all that clean time!!
Thank you heaps for your honest feedback. I really appreciate it.

It's just difficult knowing that there are people like this. But the thing i struggle with the most is the thought that they client's won't be getting the assistance they truly deserve...

I know there will always be people out there like this and even if i did say something it won't change the ones i don't know about. I guess it's something I'm just going to have to deal with.

I guess I'll just wait and see what happens...
My Grandfather taught me a lesson a long time ago that has served me well throughout my life: "Mind your own business".

It works everytime.
You do what is right for you.  If they want to cheat then so be it.  They will eventually self destruct.  My Grandma always told me "I have bigger fish to fry".  You continue on the right way and you will reap the rewards~~~sara
Live your own life ... don't worry about anyone else ... when you achieve perfection then maybe you can rat out other people ... but once you are perfect the last thing you'll do is interfer in another's life ...
Dude i know i'm not perfect and i am not claiming to be. This wasn't to "rat" someone out...I'm trying to say that having an assessment task with all of the answers on the internet really is not testing any of the skills and knowledge we have *all* been taught.

If i don't pass some of the assessments then i do not yet have the skills for the job, just the same as anyone else....and it's not like this is just a crappy ol course for retail skills...it's for something that can have a major impact of people lives and a chance to make a difference...so in saying that, my original point is a valid one.

But you also have the right to your own opinion...and i respect that. I just felt the need to explain that I'm not doing this to nark on people or because i think I'm perfect (there is no such thing)...I just care a great deal about the quality of care that should be delivered for people seeking assistance (to which i have been one).

I appreciate everyone's honest feedback :)

<3
Sometime "skills" come from the heart and not a book ... anyone can pass a test ...  

I thank you for allowing me my own opinion ... which is what I am expressing here ... I KNOW you are a good person and you care ... it comes across in your words ... and I'm just an old fart ex-junkie ...  I guess what I tried to say before was you never know what impact another may have on a some one's life ... maybe the guy who cheated may last a short time ... but in that time he (she?) will save one person's life ... and that will person goes on to do something that will help five people and those five will go on ... etc ...etc ...

But if that person was stopped because of your interference ... then what ...? I know the inverse is true ... but neither you nor I know which, if either, scenario may come to pass ... the point is ... leave others to their own fate ... just worry about your cute little *** ...

It took me a long to learn what I just told you ...

Post Script: Below is what got my Irish in the first place.

"Cheating goes against my morals and I personally feel obligated (along with a duty of care) to future drug/alcohol dependent people seeking assistance and to the profession, to tell our teacher."

First of all "morals" change ... at one time you could be a completely moral person and own another human being. At one time you could call the authorities and have your Jewish neighbor sent to a death camp and you would be considered a moral person. Morals change in time, and  from culture to culture and from society to society.  

Thanks for listening ...
I think that is about enough.  You can message me if you wish.  I am a completely moral person.  Attack me if you wish.  I am done with this as you should be.
Look tommyjames....I posted this to reach out and seek guidance to the people on here because i felt that i have no one else to talk to right now. You stated your opinion on the matter which as i said you have the right to do as i put the question out there for anyone who answer (regardless if i agree or disagree with the answer).

As i stated in my very first post, i would NOT be mentioning any names of classmates. Just the fact the case study and answers were on the internet (with the thought of another assessment being handed out for *all* students to do...not to ostracize a person).

I am aware that morals may change in time, but in saying that I don't believe i will ever condone cheating of any kind and your analogy of me sending a Jewish neighbor to a death camp is completely over the top, irrelevant and insulting. I am well aware that various people and cultures have different morals (and ways of living their lives) and i am aware of the concept of paying it forward (hence my screen name).

The other people also kind enough to respond gave their personal opinion and *constructive feedback* in a non judgmental or insulting way. I respect your opinion, so please respect mine and lets leave it at that.

Thank you for not leaving me to drown Bubulous :) It's been a really difficult day today and this was the sour icing on the cake :\

so what are you going to do , Grace ?
Heres my take:  I have gone to college, masters program and finished a PhD.  Have I ever cheated- yes.  Why you ask.  Time constrants.  Did I do this on a regular bases- no.  Does that mean I learned nothing- absolutely not.  In the real world you do not work in a bubble.  If a problem arises you work as a team.  You get other opinions and use them to find the answer.  

I have also found that some classes were absolutely meaningless.  spuing back what the professor believes is worthless to me and God forbid you have a different opinion.  Waste of time.

Does that make me immoral.  NO.  Would I do that in the real world when a person is counting on me absolutely not.  

I don't know if the person you are talking about is always doing this or if they just had a situation where the work could not get done.  Maybe something was going on with their family, maybe someone is sick- we just don't know the full situation and what they are dealing with.

Have you considered maybe the prof was cheating.  Giving case studies already posted instead of them doing their homework!:)
Well said Overeasy. Sounds like something to "let go" and move on from. God will take care of you... and them :)