Addiction: Social Community
Question for Hopeless/Pls Help!

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

Question for Hopeless/Pls Help!

Hello Hopeless. IBKleen referred me to you for this one. How do you know if your liver is damaged from drug and alcohol abuse? He said you had some problems with this once. I'm afraid mine might be because I used to pop alot of Vicoden and drank alot of alcohol. Still drink from time to time, but have laid off the pills. What are the signs/symptoms, and if you have it what can you do? Have you ever heard of Milk Thistle? I hear that heels damaged livers to a certain extent. I was wondering if you know about this herb. Any info would help. Thanks!
Hi Tee,

Here are some of the symptoms that i was having, and when i started feeling some of this i went to the ER and this is when i found out that my liver was bad. I was in the hospital for over a week not sure if i was going to even make it back home. I was very sick, and at one point they thought i was going to need a liver transplant. Thank God i didn't have to have one. I go every 2 weeks now to get my liver checked now and so far it is healing on its own, it is at 88%.

Anyway here are some of the symptoms i was having:
Nausea and vomiting attacks
Abdominal bloating
Constipation
Irritable bowel syndrome
Pain over the liver - (upper right corner of abdomen & lower right rib cage)
Sweating ALOT
Dark circles under the eyes

These were the most noticable signs i had...So if you are having any of these, please go get checked out. Better safe than sorry!

I just recently heard about this Milk Thistle, i have never tried it though, but heard it does help! Can't hurt to try it.

Most of the time if you are diagnosed with liver problems it can cure itself on its own as long as it is NOT that bad when you get diagnosed. So getting checked out now would be for the best.

Keep us posted and let us know what you find out, ok? All you have to do is either talk with your dr. or go the the ER and tell them you want blood tests done on your liver, that's all it takes to find out if yours is bad or not...

Wish you luck, and if i can be of anymore help please just ask.

Hope
You around? Just wondering if you seen this yet? Give me a holler whenyou get on, ok?

Hope
Thank you so much hopeless for this information. I am going to get checked out just to be safe. I'm scared I have to be honest. I think on a probability scale based on percentages there is a 30 or 40% chance that there might be something wrong. I do notice dark circles under my eyes, and I do have some occasional pain around the liver area. No vomiting or nausea, and I don't really notice any bloating, but I do get constipated quite often. I eat alot of cheese though and I know that can cause constipation. I am not going to take any chances with it. I do have one question for you. When you went to the ER and after they found out about your liver problem did they prescribe you any type of medicine to help it heal? Did they recommend anything to help get your liver back on track, besides laying of the drugs? Just wondering. Any advice on this would be helpful. Again thank you so much for telling me about this. I have a few of these symptoms so I am not going to play around with it. I look forward to talking to you again soon. Thanks Hope!    
Hey you,

First of all just want to say that, the constipation is actaully normal for anyone who has taken pills. So just cause you have that does NOT mean it can be your liver, ok? Don't get too worried about this yet, i am sure you will be just fine. I am glad that you are going to go get checked out though, just to be safe. When i went to the ER, i was admitted right away. They gave me an IV and gave me some meds through that, i am not sure even what they gave me at that time. Something to help with the pain i was having and something fo rhte nasuea. It was nothing narcotic of course. When they sent me home, the only script i had to have filled was an antibiotic cause i had an infection, but other than that nothing.  Just was told that i need to have my liver checked every 2 weeks just to make sure it was going to continue to heal on it's own. Which is what i have been doing, and so far so good! Thank God, it is healing wonderfully! Still not 100% yet, but certainly getting there...

I was vomiting ALOT before going to the hospital, and you say that you are not expeirencing any of that, so that is a GOOD thing! Still go and get checked, it don't take long at all, it is just one simple blood test is all. After getting checked, please let me know what they say, ok?

Please don't sit around and worry, cause all this will do is drive you insane. You don't need the stress! I am sure you will be fine, but just to be sure go and get this done as soon as you can.

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask! I will try to answer if i can.

All my best to you, and i look forward to talking with you again too...

Hope
Just ignore him, he does this quite often! Butts in where he don't belong, and LOVES to start problems.

Anyway, there are many many different types of liver diseases. Also, many symptoms as well. The ones i listed to you were the ones that i was having.

Steve, by the way - I was NOT in liver failure!! I have a liver disease, there is a HUGE difference!!

Just cause i don't know the exact names of what they were giving me through my IV, well let's just put it this way, There is nothing odd about that! I DO know that it was to help control the pain i was having, along with the nasuea, which by the way they gave me benzquinamide (spelling) Was sent home with one script, and that was an antibiotic! If you would like me to, i can ask my husband or my parents, i am sure they will know the EXACT names of what they gave me for the pain. I wasn't that concerned about it to be honest with you, all i knew at the time was i was hurting and the meds they gave me through the IV helped!

Teenutz - the symptoms Steve named are just a few of many. I have cirrhosis of the liver,and by the way there are so many more symptoms than those that i had mentioned for that type of liver disease. I am on a low sodium diet, i am restricted to 200 to 500 mg. a day and had to take laxitives for the first week when i got home. I take nothing for the pain.

Hope this was more helpful to you, and like i said if you need anything, please just ask me.
Ignore that Steve guy too, he's a trouble maker!! Feel free to email me anytime you need to, it is on my profile page.

Take Care,
Hope
Good afternoon. Im sorry to hear you were diagnosed with cirrhosis. I recently was also. Years of drinking caught up with me. I looked at your threads and noticed on 8-23-07 your sister mentioned how your skin was very yellow. Im not trying to embarass you but can you tell me how long it took for your skin to turn back to a normal color? Im embarased to leave the house