ADDICTION: SOCIAL
COMMUNITY
Soma is a narcotic???
by lady_m, Aug 12, 2007
I have been on my share of pain killers and muscle relaxers, including Soma.  I was talking to someone and they said Soma was a narcotic.  I didn't think so, so I looked it up and found this:

Soma
Soma (generic name carisoprodol) is a narcotic muscle relaxer more cautiously prescribed than other muscle relaxers, especially if a patient is taking narcotic pain medication.

Cautions: Soma is metabolized by the liver and excreted by the kidney, thus caution should be taken if patient has compromised kidney or liver functioning. This is important to avoid the excess accumulation of the drug in the body. Soma is a narcotic and should not be taken in conjunction with alcohol, psychotropic drugs or central nervous system depressants.

I didn't know it was a narcotic...I have been on my share of pain killers and muscle relaxers, including Soma.  I was talking to someone and they said Soma was a narcotic.  I didn't think so, so I looked it up and found this:

Soma

I didn't know it was a narcotic...
Member Comments (41)
by road2recovery, Aug 12, 2007
i didn't know that either...but you know what i am glad you let everyone know that..i cannot take them..i have out of body experiences..And i think most OD's are because most pain management patients take both at the same time..So if it is a narcotic then they are taking twice the amount they think they are.
i know someone that was in the hospital 3 times from OD'ing..She goes to pain managment and takes both..She probably takes 15 to 20 lortabs a day, and she told me she likes somas more than lortabs, so knowing this now , i think that is why she oded..
It is good to make everyone aware of how strong soma's are..I have heard people say that is is like a SOMA COMA...thanks for the info jen
R2R
by lady_m, Aug 12, 2007
R2R - I know, I was clueless, and I still have some in the house.  Remember the other night I had a really bad/weird reaction after taking it?  You told me about the soma coma, now it makes sense.  I had never been told it was a narcotic.  No idea.  None.

I don't know, Shel.  I wondered the same thing about having the same effect.  When my back gets really bad I still take a muscle relaxer occasionally.  Now I know I won't be taking Soma.
by lady_m, Aug 12, 2007
I must have pasted it twice when I copied it... ooops!
by shelby74, Aug 12, 2007
I did not think it was either - it does not have the same affect on the brain chemically wise - does it??
by tzt2lady, Aug 12, 2007
Wow!  I had no idea!   I have taken them for months at a time and then stopped without ANY wds!  HMMMM!   Interesting.
Thanks for the info.
tzt
by beach777, Aug 12, 2007
Soma is carispropodal and it is only a Schedule IV, not opiod related. It does how some "buzz" effects and it is a strong muscle relaxer but it is not addicting.  It is an old muscle relaxer and a commonly requested drug by "drug seekers" per my brother the Dr. Translation, I wouldn't take it, but I wouldn't freak out either......no w/d.....just a doorway back into a place you don't want to go.
by lady_m, Aug 12, 2007
Yeah, it is something that is good to know.  Now that I know I can stick to the other non-narcotic ones.  I know it's not the same, but it''s too close for me personally.  In fact the reason I was prescribed Soma is because I asked for that one - knowing a lot of drug users used it in combination with vicodin for the buzz.
by swany, Aug 12, 2007
Hi everyone,

It's Swany.  I've been posting on here for a couple of days now.  I am an RN.  I have my Nursing Drug Handbook and Soma is NOT a narcotic.  It's listed under Skeletal muscle relaxants.  Generic name:  Carisoprodol.  Available tabs:  350mg.  Indications & Dosages:  for adjunctive treatment for acute, painful musculoskeletal conditions.....Adults - 350mg PO t.i.d (which is three times a day) and h.s. (which is at bedtime).  Action:  Unknown  Appears to modify central perception of pain without modifying pain reflexes.  Muscle relaxant effects may be related to sedative properties.   OK.......It does increase CNS (central nervous system) depression when used with other CNS depressants.  Don't use with alcohol.  It does say to not stop using abruptly because it may cause mild withdrawal effects such as insomnia, h/a, nausea and abdominal cramps and last but not least may be habit-forming.

Whew...............just wanted to let you guys know what was in my drug book.  So although it isn't a narcotic, it CAN be habit-forming and may cause mild w/d sysmptoms if stopped abrubtly.

Hope that helped.  Didn't mean to poke my nose in,  just wanted to help.

Swany :)
by Mangee, Aug 12, 2007
"Technically"  is the key word that is used when someone is unsure. Point...It either is or isn't. There is no middle ground when it comes to any drug. Drug companies use the words "May cause, There is a possibility,"  etc. This way they cover all bases. It's like saying that allergies may or may not be caused by......! When there is no exact emphasis on anything then it is open to question.