Addiction: Social Community
Soma is a narcotic???

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

i didn't know that either...but you know what i am glad you let everyone know that..i cannot take them..i have out of body experiences..And i think most OD's are because most pain management patients take both at the same time..So if it is a narcotic then they are taking twice the amount they think they are.
i know someone that was in the hospital 3 times from OD'ing..She goes to pain managment and takes both..She probably takes 15 to 20 lortabs a day, and she told me she likes somas more than lortabs, so knowing this now , i think that is why she oded..
It is good to make everyone aware of how strong soma's are..I have heard people say that is is like a SOMA COMA...thanks for the info jen
R2R
R2R - I know, I was clueless, and I still have some in the house.  Remember the other night I had a really bad/weird reaction after taking it?  You told me about the soma coma, now it makes sense.  I had never been told it was a narcotic.  No idea.  None.

I don't know, Shel.  I wondered the same thing about having the same effect.  When my back gets really bad I still take a muscle relaxer occasionally.  Now I know I won't be taking Soma.
I must have pasted it twice when I copied it... ooops!

Soma is a narcotic???

I have been on my share of pain killers and muscle relaxers, including Soma.  I was talking to someone and they said Soma was a narcotic.  I didn't think so, so I looked it up and found this:

Soma
Soma (generic name carisoprodol) is a narcotic muscle relaxer more cautiously prescribed than other muscle relaxers, especially if a patient is taking narcotic pain medication.

Cautions: Soma is metabolized by the liver and excreted by the kidney, thus caution should be taken if patient has compromised kidney or liver functioning. This is important to avoid the excess accumulation of the drug in the body. Soma is a narcotic and should not be taken in conjunction with alcohol, psychotropic drugs or central nervous system depressants.

I didn't know it was a narcotic...I have been on my share of pain killers and muscle relaxers, including Soma.  I was talking to someone and they said Soma was a narcotic.  I didn't think so, so I looked it up and found this:

Soma

I didn't know it was a narcotic...
I did not think it was either - it does not have the same affect on the brain chemically wise - does it??
Wow!  I had no idea!   I have taken them for months at a time and then stopped without ANY wds!  HMMMM!   Interesting.
Thanks for the info.
tzt
Soma is carispropodal and it is only a Schedule IV, not opiod related. It does how some "buzz" effects and it is a strong muscle relaxer but it is not addicting.  It is an old muscle relaxer and a commonly requested drug by "drug seekers" per my brother the Dr. Translation, I wouldn't take it, but I wouldn't freak out either......no w/d.....just a doorway back into a place you don't want to go.
Yeah, it is something that is good to know.  Now that I know I can stick to the other non-narcotic ones.  I know it's not the same, but it''s too close for me personally.  In fact the reason I was prescribed Soma is because I asked for that one - knowing a lot of drug users used it in combination with vicodin for the buzz.
Hi everyone,

It's Swany.  I've been posting on here for a couple of days now.  I am an RN.  I have my Nursing Drug Handbook and Soma is NOT a narcotic.  It's listed under Skeletal muscle relaxants.  Generic name:  Carisoprodol.  Available tabs:  350mg.  Indications & Dosages:  for adjunctive treatment for acute, painful musculoskeletal conditions.....Adults - 350mg PO t.i.d (which is three times a day) and h.s. (which is at bedtime).  Action:  Unknown  Appears to modify central perception of pain without modifying pain reflexes.  Muscle relaxant effects may be related to sedative properties.   OK.......It does increase CNS (central nervous system) depression when used with other CNS depressants.  Don't use with alcohol.  It does say to not stop using abruptly because it may cause mild withdrawal effects such as insomnia, h/a, nausea and abdominal cramps and last but not least may be habit-forming.

Whew...............just wanted to let you guys know what was in my drug book.  So although it isn't a narcotic, it CAN be habit-forming and may cause mild w/d sysmptoms if stopped abrubtly.

Hope that helped.  Didn't mean to poke my nose in,  just wanted to help.

Swany :)
"Technically"  is the key word that is used when someone is unsure. Point...It either is or isn't. There is no middle ground when it comes to any drug. Drug companies use the words "May cause, There is a possibility,"  etc. This way they cover all bases. It's like saying that allergies may or may not be caused by......! When there is no exact emphasis on anything then it is open to question.
I'm confused.  After reading your post I called a pharmacist.  He said Soma is technically listed as a narcotic...?
I told him there was a discussion of whether it was or wasn't and he said "yes, it is techically listed (I think he actually said 'classified') as a narcotic".  He didnt sound unsure, he just sounded like he was saying what it is actually/technically classified as.
I've been taken to the hospital 3 times because people have seen me in my Soma Coma...only do I wake up in the hospital going what? As we know the Soma does wear off
what amount is the most someone has taken that is addicted to soma
Soma itself is not a narcotic.  I used to take it for years. Soma Compound is a narcotic b/c it contains codiene. Soma is a very stong muscle relaxer. It says that it is not addicting but you can become dependant on it. I used to take a lot of it in the past 2 years and haven't taken it in almost a year. I never had w/d's from it and am 29 and took it since I was 18 for debilitating migraines and Interstitial cystis and vulvodynia. The reason I stopped taking it was b/c I was taking way too much for it to work, which is very dangerous. I know a lot of people that OD on them. I know people that have taken 20 to 30 somas...reg. soma's w/o the codiene. Doctors don't really perscribe it much anymore b/c people abuse it so much, like qualudes. I have asked many pharm. and Doctors about soma.
thanks swany for clearing these people.  SOMA is not a narcotic.  It does have a benzo metabolite but it is NOT a narcotic.  I have had back surgery and my nuerosurgeon prescibes these.  I have to have surgery again.  If it werent for soma I could not get any relief as every narcotic makes me sick to the point I puke!!!!!!!!!!!!  It is addicting if you have a addictive personality so to speak anything can be addicting.  I know one that takes 10 at a time cause she is so addictive.  She has done this for at least 12 yrs and yes she gets into that soma coma as earlier said.  I use them to relieve the muscle spasms and pain and to get rest.  I take 2 at 5:oopm and 2 at 9:00pm.  I work during the day and do not take anything.  But after my work this is the only way I get relief.  Sure I hurt at work but I cant take them due to side effects which all meds have.  SO I dont know where these people get info that is incorrect.  Read your litature that comes with your meds.  They can show positive for benzo's on drug screen because of the benzo metabolite.  FYI  any feedback is appreciated.  
soma actually is a narcotic.  year ago it wasnt.. but due to abuse about 12 years ago is started a class as a narcotic. My doc and I have talked about it.  I have lupus and fibromylgia (fibromyalgia)   and bad disc from accident and osteoarthrits.    . so I have taken hydro for 7 years, soma (this time for 3) hate taking pills.  they dont work well at all any more no mater what the dose..my doc told me its because my body is so used to them,  I have become dependent it is physical and mental,  i do fins the soma helps me relax from the terrible nervousness you feel when you are out of hydro.  it makes it easier.  im going to get in to pain management .. doc tells me too but hate to get anything stronger. dealing with this is bad enough!!  good luck to all..
My dad took soma for 16 years and had to go to drug rehab for 6 weeks I believe to get off of it. That's the most he has ever missed going to church. Anyone can get addicted to it whether it is a narcotic or not.
its not a narcotic and be stopped CT.........I took it for years and lots of it back in the day and did not need to taper.  If you don't have it, you dont' need it.......I know some say you must taper off.......well, I'm living proof you don't.  I survived no problem with no withdrawal.  Just don't leave a bottle with me...........

Nauty..........

Bty.......you can get addicted to anything.  Even tanning......lol
Soma is a muscle relaxer NOT a narcotic. You dont get high taking Soma by itself. However, if you take Soma with a narcotic like Percocet or Lortab it makes the "high" effect 4 times stronger than without the Soma. In other words it increases the intensity of the narcotic you take with it. Think about this: you will not fail a drug test when you take Soma????? You do not get physically dependent on Somas by themself ???? Its been labeled since it intensifies OTHER narcotics! They do have a benefit of having like a "xanax" agent in them. It is a VERY good muscle relaxer. Overtaking them you WILL die even more so than a narcotic pain pill because your heart is a muschle and over taking Soma will cause the heart to relax so much that it stops working. :-(
yes some people DO get high from soma. thats incorrect information. most states do not have this as a controlled substance...however, it's active metabolite, MEPROBAMATE, is a controlled substance. meprobamate is the generic name for Miltown, a drug HIGHLY abused during its peak....why? because it acts on the same receptors as benzodiazepines and barbiturates....so yes indeed, soma can be VERY addicting and form both a psychological and physical dependency. that being said, not everyone enjoys its high. infact, some people don't even get high from it...just as some people can't stand opiates and do not get high from them (like myself)....

i know this post is old but i'd hate for anyone to suffer under the misinformation that this drug is not dangerous. indeed, it may as well be considered a barbiturate because of the blanket effect it has on the entire CNS....even though chemically it isn't. to say this drug isn't addicting is to also say drugs like seconal, nembutal, valium, and xanax are not addicting. they all effect the same receptor sites (although they do go about it slightly differently)
oh and also...anyone saying this doesn't need a taper is unfortunately giving VERY poor advice. just ask your doctor and they'll disagree that this med can be done cold turkey. seizures are a very real possibility.

I was taking SOMA recently to help with tension headaches/neck pain while taking Aleve.  When that didn't help my doctor's PA gave me fiorocett and I mentioned that I was also taking SOMA.. big whoops...I was walking around bumping into walls, fell  down the stairs twice and couldn't carry on a lucid conversation..out both of them went..after a kind soul on here pointed out the danger of combining the 2 as they both go for the same receptors in the brain....down the terlet they went.

But I've also been on SOMA for extended periods for back spasms and quit CT with no problems.

Jim
yes...taking fioricet and soma together is a scary thought...particularly if you were to have taken either one in excess. its surprising really that they prescribed them together without so much as a warning.
Jim~  I remember when you did that!     So,what happened with the CT scan? Still having headaches?
Soma is not a narcotic.Anyone that tells you it is doesn't know what there talking about.A true narcotic is an opiod which comes directly from the opium poppy.There are also synthetic narcotics such as oxycodone and dilaudid.The DEA classifies some other highy abused drugs that are not opiates as narcotics.Soma is not a narcotic or federally controlled drug.
It is an old muscle relaxer and a commonly requested drug by "drug seekers" per my brother the Dr. Translation, I wouldn't take it, but I wouldn't freak out either no words just a doorway back into a place........
I agree with you about Soma.  I have four herniated disks in the neck,and nerve palsy in my dominant shoulder. Also lumbar disk & hip degeneration.
I take soma during the day, only if I am in spasm.  I take one at night, which eases the spasms, in my neck & shoulder & allows me to sleep. Occasionally I will need a second after four or five hours.
I think any drug can be addictive , if you have that type of personality.  My Drs.  Know I will not abuse it.  It is a lifesaver for me.  
soma is good if you are taking in a controlled manner but the thing is anything can be dangerous if you will not take that according to dose. I really appreciate that you took a good step to aware of your experience but do not neglected if needed. As it could be life saver also.  
I have been taking soma and atavan now for a few months. 500mg soma and 2 mg atavan together. Every six hours or so...not so much for the physical pain I have... but emotional pain. Don't know how much more of this stress I can endure. There is a violent man child in our home. And the taking of these medication s lessons the emotional pain I am enduring. For a while....can't wait till he is gone.
I remember the first time I took Soma, I was like "wow! this is awesome! I can finally sleep with this horrible back pain and wake up feeling fresh." Then I had to take it 3x a day for almost all of 2012 due to cervical and lumbar spine problems and it was VERY habit forming. I would say with any medication, please proceed with caution. I stopped taking it CT along with my other meds and not sure if Soma caused my WDs but it took me a couple of weeks of misery before I started to feel human again. Just saying....

Glad to know it helps people (it sure did for me when I was in bed with all my muscles in spasms for months) but also very grateful to not have to take it. Again, take with caution.
As of Jan 2012, Soma was reclassified by the FDA as a controlled substance.
I took Soma for yrs for back pain....I LOVED it too much.....got addicted to it......my dr told me after she weaned me off benzos (but I was still taking hydros for severe back issues) that she didn't want to prescribe the Soma any longer to me because it "chemically" breaks down like a benzo.

I didn't have as severe w/drawals getting off Soma as I did Xanex, but I surely went thru w/drawals.  Many dr's are NOT prescribing Soma now for the above reasons and are instead prescribing Flexeril.....for me, today...
I'm chosing to be clean from ALL meds and re-evaluate my pain once I've healed for awhile longer.

I worry about the misinformation being shared here. If you have any doubts, call a pharmacist. Soma is NOT a narcotic; however, it IS a controlled substance due to its propensity to be addictive. Someone mentioned that Meprobromate is the active ingredient in Soma. NOT TRUE. There is no Meprobromate in Soma, and Meprobromate is NOT a controlled substance, nor is it addictive. The active ingredient in Soma is Carisoprodol. Some claim that Soma potentiates narcotic pain meds, but that is not really the case. Basically, it's just the combo of two euphoric highs making one feel even more high. It's a shame that Soma has been abused to the point that Drs no longer like to prescribe it because it is by far the single best muscle relaxant on the market, especially for tension and occipital headaches.
A narcotic is, simply stated, any drug that numbs or deadens. Cocaine is considered a narcotic but the term is mostly associated with opiates.

I think the best advice given above is to call a pharmacist for questions. The active metabolite in Soma IS Meprobamate. Meprobamate is highly addictive.
These are true statements, previously posted by my mayberry.

Also, if anyone has any doubt about Soma as an addictive drug, please do your research...
I used to be big into Somas, and they are no joke. I am in treatment for opiate addiction and if I couldn't find any pain pills, Somas was an alternative. I would take 4 at a time just to get the high and now I realize how lucky I am to be alive. thought I would share that
Lost my brother to his abuse of this and combining it with other pain killers.  He was an addict so no whining and excuses here. He told me Soma was just a sleep agent.  I never checked it out.  After his death, I looked this up on the web and could not believe the BLACK BOX  warnings about this drug.  His doc was a friend of his and prescribed whatever he wanted anytime, any day.  I just read about how cocktailing this with other painkillers and booze was so toxic=== I can't believe he survived until 49 years old.  He did this for years and I want to skewer his friend/doctor for giving him unlimited access to these drugs but it will not bring him back.  I love you brother.  Almost 3 years and it still hurts.
If you go to drugs . com It is not listed as a narcotic. I personally know alot of people who can take alot of it and come of CT with no problem.... and just to let you know drugs website is not state based. I never got high off the stuff I hated soma because im one to want energy not relaxed feeling. and Yes I know that a high can be relaxed or energy feeling,
Many years ago, I took Soma...I almost died.  I had been taking it for years, and one day I took it, and I turned bright red, got itchy and ran to the emergency room.  My throat closed.  Be careful, I don't know what kind of drug it is I just know it's a drug that's dangerou!!!!
Soma did not used to be a narcotic. It is a fast acting skeletal muscle relaxer. Usually taking effect in 15 minutes. It does tend to make the patient a little drunk feeling for around 30 minutes then that feeling is over. As for muscle relaxers all have the potential for abuse and if you take to many at one time you just may end up not breathing and die due to the fact that it is our skeletal muscles that make our lungs function. Soma has been abused over the years till the FDA classified it as a low class narcotic, just like Sudafed is now monitored due to people abusing it and not taking it for what it was meant for (I have allergies and since early childhood) so I suffer from severe sinus headaches till I am allowed to get more. I have severe cervical and thoracic spinal problems and after being put on numerous muscle relaxers, Soma is the only thing that manages my back problems. Yes I also take narcotic pain medications. I also have taken these medications for 12 years now. If I miss a dose I do not have withdraw symptoms. It is a few who look for what they call a buzz who ruin it for everyone else who actually need these medications. Lastly I have worked in healthcare (nursing home) for 26 years. Without my medication I am unable to walk down the middle of the hall without staggering due to the issues with my cervical spine. We would not have this problem if people would not abuse medications. I know, that will never stop. So in the mean time the ones who need these medications will just suffer...