Addiction: Social Community
What do u do 4 a living?

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

What do u do 4 a living?

Just curious what everyone does here for a living.........

Are u a student? Teacher? Attorney? House wife?

I am a bill collector.......................which, with how the economy is....u can imagine how great my days are spent.....people screaming at me................cursing........telling me how much i am breaking the laws...blah blah blah.  especially sundays.  Mmmm....those are the best.

A sunday call to someone who hasnt paid their credit card bill in 4 months. A sunday call at 8am....and i wake them up! LOL.  Oh, just imagine if it was u !

But for real--what does everyone do?  I am just curious...that's all.

I am in sales....sell a variety of products...but things are as tough as I have experienced for 20 plus years....I expect that your job will be getting busier and busier in the next year which is an unfortunate thing....

Oh well.....we all just have to keep moving forward. Soberly
I am a stay at home, disabled wife. Worked for 18 years in the student loan business before unable to work anylonger. I miss the outside world. at this point I think I would enjoy being a bill collector. lol
I am a hairdresser...have been for 20 yrs, but work only part time now...

lovemypillhead--- SO you are the one that called and woke me up at 8 on sunday?? humm.....  just kidding!!!!

r2r
I forgot...........i also work part time in sales....
That was so funny what you said - Sundays are the best!  I work for an attorney and one of the things we do is bill collecting, along with family law, estates, probate, small business, etc.  Sometimes I do process serving on the side to make some extra cash and that's where the real fun comes in!  I've had a lady lock me in her office and wouldn't let me leave, and another time a man came to the door with a gun!  I hear it all, as I'm sure you do, talking to debtors.  I have a problem with being a softy sometimes though, especially in this economy and myself doing so bad financially, it's hard for me to be tough on people sometimes when I know how it is.  Do you work from home doing bill collecting?  I'd love to find a job where I could work from home.
I am also a nail technician too!  Haha.  But,  right now im not doing nails.......

LOL--oh, u never know....it could have been me!  LOL  

Most people are like "Do u know what today is" -- which, btw  is just the stupidest thing to say.  Like--uh, yeah...i know it's sunday. I just woke up and came to work.......

For those of u avoiding bill collectors...............i can give u some inside info to make the calls stop! LOL
I would love to have a job from home. but every one you see is usually a scam. can you bill collect from home? how much fun would that be...and I always though repo'ng cars would be fun, and process serving...wow yall have fun jobs. lol
No, I have to come to work...and work.  I am glad to come here though.  I had alot of half days this past week...and i was ready to kill myself being home so much.  I am really hyper so i think i require leaving the house! LOL.  That, and my son is 8 months old....so, i need a break thru the day. God bless those moms and dads that can stay at home with the kids.  I couldnt do it.  I couldn't.   So, yeah i come to my place to work.  

I am not a softie...BUT, i do feel for people.  Like i tell people...........just because i call for money doesnt mean i have any. lol.  I am broke as a joke most of the time.  

i dont think there are at home bill collectors anymore.....

that's some type of privacy issue??  which makes no sense...but it is.

there are sooooo many stupid legal things in this job...
Right now Im a single stay at home mom but been looking for work preferrably where I could do it from home again because Im a very hands on mom and want to be with my babies before they grow up (my oldest is already in part time kindergarten) Anyhow i've worked many jobs in my life but the one I did the longest and paid the best was doing Medical Transcription from home.   I wish I could do that again but there are NO jobs in this area for it at home OR in an office. Heck, the entire Help Wanted Ads in the Sunday paper was only one sheet long this week and in the past it used to be about 7 pages full of jobs. Just another sign of the horrible times. There isnt anything out there but for a few select things, none of which Im qualified for. All the jobs I saw were for things like electricians, repair people, skilled trades etc.  Im thinking of trying to go to school for either nursing or at least a home health aid since I have a strong background in the medical field already. (in high school I took the Medical/Dental program they had), and then I self taught myself medical terminology and the like to get my foot in the door doing medical transcription. The doctors were oh-so-impressed that I learned what I did on my own but I told them why would I need to pay a bunch of money to a school just to read some books from the library studying root words, suffixes and prefixes for? LOL

ANYHOW I would take just about any kind of job right now just to get some real money. I do sell on Ebay but it varies GREATLY on what i earn each week. SOmetimes I get lucky, other times I lose my asss.
I know bill collecting isnt always fun BUT it isnt that bad...and i know we are hiring. And, we are all over the world.  

If anyone is looking for a job....let me know. I will hook u up.  

We have FULL medical/dental/vision benefits.
Total 401 but way better
Paid everything
Like right after u start here....u get over 2 wks paid vaca
Every month...u make ur paycheck (each week)..then, there are 2 other bonuses each month.....plus, all kinds of competitions where u win gift cards for like walmart, pre paid visa's etc.....
I can't say enough wonderful things about where i work.

The only  bad part is...calling people who owe money during these tough times.  But, u just have to know it isnt personal.
I am a professional domestic goddess.................
I am also a collector.  I'm the collections manager for a large dental corporation (we're national) and I handle the Utah accounts.  We take our patients to Small Claims court and I'm a softy!  But, I'm pretty astute about who is being honest and who is not.  This economy is hurting so many honest, hard-working people.  I've been a lot more reasonable than what my company allows with regards to payment arrangements.  I'd rather get something than nothing.  My numbers have gone down tremendously.  Most months last year I was able to collect over $6,000 a month up to $12,000 per month, but now it's down to between $3,000 and $5,000 per month.  I do not work full-time on just collections.  I also go to our 9 locations and assist with staff training, training new managers, assisting our corporate office in Texas with auditing accounts, contacting insurance companies, handling bad checks (taking them to court) and attending court, obtaining judgments and all the fun with that.  I also assist our director here in the Utah market with other matters.  I would collect more if I did only that.  

I really feel badly for people right now.  I just had to send out a couple garnishments and that just about kills me, but it's necessary.  I just found out how much one of our debtors makes and spoke with my boss and we feel uncomfortable garnishing her with two children and being a single mom.  So, we are going to see if she will pay us something minimal every month.  I have found in these types of situations, people are more inclined to pay us every month if we treat them with respect and are also reasonable.  Very often, I'll have people send me more than they promised and even receive thank you notes.  That's odd to me - but I am a softy and usually too soft!  LOL!!!!

Luckily I don't have to call anyone at night or on weekends.  I'm strictly a 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. collector, except Small Claims court, which is always at night.  To be honest, I wish collectors wouldn't call people on Sundays.  I remember when I did collections for a law firm back in the 80s, we were not allowed to call on Sundays.  But, I understand the laws have changed.  I just feel uncomfortable with that.  That's just me.

Lovemypillhead:  Don't you just love the people who treat us like we're the enemy when they are the ones avoiding us?  I had a lady yesterday that wanted to argue with me and usually I can difuse those situations, but this time she would not stop arguing and so I finally told her I would not argue any longer and that I hope she had a nice day and hung up.  Then she kept calling me back saying things like "Well hello Ms. Professional Collections Manager - thanks for hanging up on me, blah, blah, blah.  I told her that she could either pay the bill or I would see her in court and told her 3 times how much she owed.  Then she contacted our dental clinic directly to try to get out of paying the amount due.  UGH!  Then she finally agreed to pay it off.  Some people!  LOL!!!!!

Sorry for rambling, but our system network is down and so I can't do any work right now!  I can get online, but nothing through our intranet.
Wow !  Lots of the dreaded Bill Collectors.....Oiy!!  That has to be a tough job right now, for sure.....

I have my own internet business (entertainment) no not strippers or escorts....lol.  I am also a Home Day Care provider Usually during the summer.  I am a certified medical assistant, but haven't done it in over 9 years........I may be going back to that soon cause If I dont' get out of my house .......I'm going to BLOW.  

Don't think because you work from your home thats its all great.  There is good and Bad involved in it.......

Nauty...........
I HATE working sundays......and actually, i dont think we should call either. I hate them. U have no idea (well, yeah u do lol)  I get hung up, sworn at, called names.

I guess......the best logic i have with people that owe a credit card bill and are NOT paying and are mad at me for calling is this:

I am like well u know what.....let's say u loaned some random stranger $5,000 with the catch that every month on the 15th you would pay them x amount of dollars (of course, this all agreed upon before u loaned them the money)..........then, all of a sudden...this random stranger quits paying u. doesnt call u. hangs up on you. is never home...etc etc etc.  arent U gonna basically call them everyday like mad to get your money!??!!?!?!? HELL yeah u would! Anyone would! That is YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!  

usually then they are like ok ok yeah ur right....
but not always.

i tell u what the worst calls are..............old people.  I mean, god love them.  but my lord let someone handle your finances after some [point!!!!!!!!!!  they have no idea what is going on......they dont know u. they cant hear me.  

ok, i just called someone born 11/1/1918.....  absolutely NOOOOOOOOOOOO
What kind of internet business? I know u said entertainment....but what kind?
I'm an Artist.  Pretty much all of my work in the past 10 years has been doing murals or Trompe l'oiel. Starting back on doing work on canvas, since the other has come to a screeching halt due to the economy....which means I can't pay my bills....which means Lovemypillhead has to call me on Sunday mornings and every other day too.  LOL,  Sorry Lovemypillhead, but I just don't answer your calls anymore. Ya can't get blood out of a turnip.lol
I'm going under-ground.
Sounds like it was a fun job to have though!  I'm sorry the economy has hurt you so badly!  

My boss just said to me today about the lady I mentioned above with the two kids your exact words about getting blood out of a turnip!  LOL!!!

Happy New Year!
No blood in this turnip either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Move over flmagi...im trying to get my butt underground too...........
I'm a Faux Finisher and in the same boat as Magi.

Lovemypillhead........how do I get you to stop calling ????  LMAO
LOL i love it.  That's ok...no prob......i just move on to the next victim!
Well for starters....pay your bill. LOLOL  I am soooo kidding!  That's a collections joke.  Just kidding. I am so behind on my sh!t i cannot see straight.........

Tell the person calling to REMOVE MY NUMBER.

They have to. Don't say wrong number.  Don't say DONT call back...(because even then...we mark it but do call back.....then the second time we route the call to "by mail only")  So....tell them to remove my number.  You have the right to only communicate by mail.
I am Self-Employed. I have my own indoor Baseball/Softball Training Facility. I conduct camps and do group and individual lessons. I have about 10 people working for me and have 3 guys that are in the Major Leagues do their off season conditioning here.

About two weeks ago, my friend and I, who is also a retired Police Officer like me, started talking to some bail bond agencies about Bounty Hunting for them, it seems to be a booming business right now. So after the first of the year we are gonna hit the ground running looking for people who run out on their bonds. We are networking in several states, so I may be coming to a city near you soon.
Just don't have a big long blonde weave, and a wife that dresses in clothes half her size with you.....lol.  

You can catch me .........I won't run.......:-))))~~We'll have to think of a name for you....

Nauty...........
You guys are a trip I am by trade ( pays the bills ) a Hair Designer. I owned a salon for 10 years and when my father died I closed in my garage and now my business is at home. No it doesn't look like a garage it looks like a salon. My passion which doesn't pay any bills.... Is working with new commers in the 12 step of Narcotics Anonymous I also sponsor women who cut themselves women who starve themselves and serviors  of child sexual abuse.... No bill collectors.......yet...freebird227
Nauty.........Blonde hair...........yes.............Rude mullet......NO. And I carry a real gun and not a paintball gun. And his wife....wow....so unattractive. Maybe it should be called "Dog the Booby Hunter"?
i been a bartender for 22 years now...i really like my job....other than the fact i can t smoke a cig in the bar...have to go outside 7 feet from the door...how crazy is that!  before that i worked in an office...too boring for me..lol..maria  
retired US Army medic.. I now work as an Occuptaional Therapy Assistant at a SNF
"escalation engineer"...work for a large computer company in the services end of things.  get involved in helping to resolve customer satisfaction issues that relate to availability of parts.   I work from home 3 days a week and may soon go permananent work from home as there is no longer anybody in my group in my building, and my manager is in the midwest and I'm on the east coast.

I like working from home..most of the time...if my wife would just get it through her head that I"m *working* from home, not on vacation playing on the computer.

Jim
I was just wondering where you were at!!!!  Hope you are feeling better.       sara
Wow you all have interesting and impressive jobs... I have been a stay at home mom for 24 years. have raised mine and many others in those years :) We were the hang out with the pool and games cooked cleaned made tons of sandwiches and washed a heck of a lot of towels..  Have seen a lot of children come to my home that needed a adults attention.. Have removed lice got kids off drugs alcohol provided a home even as adults.. Seen the goth seen come and go Have seen many do well including my own still praying for others.. Get visits that are always delightful.. Now my oldest is 21 and empty nest is setting in.. I have been mulling over fostering teens as we get along well but have opposition from hubby.. To many crisis at 3:am .. We will see.. There is always doggie day care :)) Was a Baker in a previous life....
I am a professional Boy Scout and part time writer for local paper........retired from several things.

Thanks...I've been laying kind of low...not a lot of energy to socialize though I have been doing some reading in here keeping up with things...I appreciate your concern and that of others I've heard from..It's great to hear from you all..

Getting better each day...don't know if I'll ever be my old self again, but just taking it one day at a time....as long as I don't look at some pictures my other son sent my wife asking her not to let me see them for a while..but we goofed and I opened the box...

Thanks again...God Bless and happy new year

Jim who loves you all..
i am a little late for topic
i am a paramedic, used to work at a rehab in the nurses station, handing out meds to detoxing patients ,,  left when our doc got his sub license
one would call me a low level medical worker
xo
Legal Assistant (paralegal)
I own a few bunniesses one is an adult novelty web storefront.... If anyone is interested in seeing it send me a pm will give ya the addy
Lmao!   he done hunted for those boobies for sure...."-)  but, good lord!!  She is something else.....pretty comical they are .....

Dang it!! with a name like "Tuck"  I still can't think of a name.?  I thought it was going to be easy.....

nauty.......
i am a bookkeeper for a loan office....and i answer the phone lol.  i have a great job and love what i do....
I'm a housing consultant & floor plan designer.

I've been reading about how many of you would love to work from home.

I did that many times through out the years.  The most important thing is that you have to be diciplined enough not to let the normal things around home distract you.  My biggest problem was my mom.  She'd always say that I wasn't working a real job.  Humph...something was paying the bills.

I've done the following from home and supported my daughter and I:

Seamstress
Contract Artwork
Film Transcription
Babysitting
Errand Service

It is possible, but I've found that I'd rather mess up someone elses place and let someone else worry about where the next customer is coming from.

Best Wishes.
I was a stay at home mom until both of my children went to school.  Then I finally let my education work for me, I was a SOCIAL WORKER with the elderly for about 10 years.  I really got tired of my patients dying.  It was like losing a grandparent everytime.  

Went back to college and got my master's degree in education and now I teach English Literature on the high school level.  I am certified for K-12, but I don't think I could handle the little ones.  And yes I LOVE my job.
full time BUM...always have been, always will be :)  

We have a landscaping business and i love my job working outside all the time. I should say i love my job march-november, but in winter we do snow removal and i hate it, lol. Not fun getting up at 4am and going out in the freezin cold. Winters i don't work as much though so it's kinda my break.
Oh,  i am so addicted to Dog the Bounty Hunter.  How i love it!  They are so stupid!  they have their bing bag guns!  And.....mase!  I have bear mase!  LOLOL.  And seriously...ok, seriously...does Beth honestly think she looks good?
lol...i saw "the dog" a few days ago.  his sons were making fun of his shirt...some leopard looking print.  someone should tell him that he's getting waaaaaaaaaaaay too fat to wear his shirt and have it unbuttoned to his waist ! ! !   what are those leather wrist bands all about?  and his mr. t chains???????  oh lawd...
and yes...beth DOES think she looks good...rofl.
LOL---so funny. i know exactly what shirt your talking about!  They were at that other bail bond man's house....in like colorado or something.  He had it un bottoned like half way! LOL.  Oh, and his hair!  Rockin a mullet baby!  O yeah!!!!!!!!!!!  I love how he is "Indian" so he wears those hairs braids....leather arm bands.  Um, EVERYONE is Indian these days!  And, his son's  and his daughter--all of them--they just crack me up with how they get suited up to like go get some guy who has NO violent history....etc....

I can't help it tho. It's like i am drawn to it.  I can't turn away!
I'm a carpenter turned welder but mostly I work on my wrold view. happy new year and all that.
About his hair.....I think he watched "Braveheart" one too many times.

Did you know, he is 5'6" and has a special 4 inch heel on his boots?
seriously? or are u being funny?
I was a bartender for about 10 years but slipped and tore my ACL. I started to work as a legal secretary for one of my bar regulars who was on his was to rehab. He almost lost his practice due to his addiction. I started to work for him right after he was released and I have been here for 4 years. I love it and pretty much run the office. Come july, when my baby is due, I will quit though. I have the ability to work from home, not completely full time, I would have to go in every now and then. But I would say 4 our of every 5 days, I can work from home...
Avis Im shocked thats too funny. I worked at an adult store for years it was my FAVORITE job ever. Had a great time and if I ever come into some money thats my dream to open my own store. BUT I went to college forever for accounting so now I have to do what pays the bills =( Im a bookkeeper for an HVAC company! bear sooo good to see you =)
My husband and I own two businesses together. One is a window tint company, we tint residential, commercial, auto, and do clear bras on cars as well. Our second business is a parking lot striping & signage business. We do striping, signs, parking blocks, seal coat, crack fill, patch work.  I also work part time (just for fun) at Macy's as an Estee Lauder girl (VERY FUN). I'm also a student finishing my 4 year business degree. :)
sunny ....LOL its shocks everyone.We have alot of fun .A friend and I decided to try it and it just took off .Its very much like passion party or Adam and eve .... We have a full site with guides and reviews ,surveys that are separate from the products .
Yeah, Eagle loves the chocolate Clones I made him..........Lmaoooooooooo !!!!!!

Nauty........
I am a manager for Cirque du Soleil.  Thank you for asking!
Are you serious??!!  That has got to be a great job!  I'm sure it's hectic, but to see everything that goes on behind the scenes, and the working up of the shows and just....well,..everything!
I'm jealous!  
I have been a nurse for about 17 years. I am also a Massage Therapist. I was addicted to opiates for about 9 years before I started Methadone Maintenance Therapy 3 years ago and have been "opiate free" without relapse ever since. I know alot of people view Methadone Treatment as trading one addiction for another-but it saved my life. It does scare me to know that one day I will attempt to be "methadone free"........but as they say-...one day at a time. I am new to this site and forum. Looking foward to talking with others who have chosen this route to recovery.
Let me see....I am a licensed esthetitician, nail tech, candle maker, jewelry designer, and an educator for a skin care company. Still cant pay the bills so............
I am giving all those up to go to school to be an RN this spring!!!
I design tests for a living.
Hi. I am a RN, have been for 16 yrs.. Prior to that I was A LPN for 18 yrs. At present I am disabled to work. My usual salary was $2500-$3000 every 2 weeks, Now I only receive $330 week. This has affected me tremendously. I get depressed bad. Prior, when I was working, bills were always on time. Usually paid double payments on credit cards. Now I am able to pay anything on them. I rely on food drom fellow nurses and $200 month food stamps. I have auto 4 months behind and house payment 4 payments behind. By the grace of God, our home hasn't been put in foreclosure. They are working to get lower payment. Ou car was set with a plan that has us caught, provided I make payment on exact day it is  due. Must pay utilities and some food and car insurance. Please do not take this as me asking for money.By God's grace, we are surviving. The big problem is the credit card collectors calls. Sometimes they will call 2-3 times a day and more. My response is "I was not working this morning and I'm still not".I would love to pay my bills. I am unable to pay. I have to pay COBRA of almost $6oo just for my medical ins. lovemypillhead, I do not know if you are one of the ones that call me. I can get rather irrate at the end of the day when I have been telling them the same thing all day. I am so glad when 9pm gets here. lovemypillhead, who do you work with. You said you had some info on how to get them to stop calling. Can they garnish SSDI or unemployment check? I know you get rude customers. Sometimes I get some really nice people that seem to understand the situation I am in. I will think now before I speak when someone calls. I know with times the way they are, a job, no matter what, is a lifesaver.

Blessings,
Madlyn
I am sorry u are going thru the wonderful world of debt and no money! I hear ya sister...trust me.  I work for a company that does the financing for credit cards..........

All checks can be garnished. Unemployment included.  BUT, keep in mind....it cost companies money to attach your wages...it has to be worth it to them.  Companies can also write off the unpaid debt as a loss which helps them.......so, depends on how much debt you have to that individual company......If you owe Credit Card Company A - $1,000....then no...they probably wont.  But, if you owe them $10,000...well, that's a diff story.

Haha about the 9pm. You are right!

And for the record:

THERE IS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LAW THAT SAYS WE CANNOT CALL ON A SUNDAY OR A SATURDAY OR WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!  OMG so many people say we are breaking the law calling on a sunday!  NOT TRUE!!!  
I am surprised you are willing to admit to being a bill collector, even if this is an anonymous site.  No amount of money would be worth it to me, to harrass people like you do.  I am a medical transcriptionist which used to be a great job, great money, and able to work at home.  Things have changed now though and companies do not pay by the same formula they used to use, I basically am unemployed -- BUT I am not a bill collector, thank God!