Addiction: Social Community
Yahoo this morning!

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

Yahoo this morning!

Did anyone else read front page of yahoo this morning? This new hydro sounds very very scary. It looks like they are gonna get approved and they are hoping to have it on market by 2013. That is so stupid! Ugh! Between doctors pill pushers and drug companies they are gonna have the whole world addicted to this crap! Very scary stuff!
I don't read Yahoo but I assume you are talking about Zohydro. If so, the drug was designed to provide pain relief for chronic pain suffers while eliminating the acetaminophen which can cause liver damage.

I agree that we surely don't need yet another addicting drug on the market; however, I don't believe that doctors get us addicted. At some point we have to take responsibility for our addiction and not blame others. No one has ever shoved a pill down my throat. When my doctor prescribes me ANYTHING I speak with my pharmacist about it and read the accompanying pamphlet for additional information.

I live with chronic pain everyday and it is my choice to take pain medication or not and right now I choose not to. So when this new drug hits the market, and if it is offered to me, I again will have the choice to say no.
Amen to what you have posted.That is someone who is in charge and not that little pill or whatever. When you say,"I myself make the decision as to what I ingest," you are proving that you are in control of your life. This is something that others should read over and over. There is a strong message in those few words. The doctors etc, can prescribe, suggest and so on but the final word is yours and yours alone. You have to take your life in hand and not allow anything to sway you from any goal you are aiming for.
It's just my opinion but I think it's a good thing. As most addicts know, acetaminophen rarely stops an addict deep in addiction from taking well over the recommended daily amount. At least when I was using I know it didn't stop me.

I also agree with IBK. I was never addicted to anything in my life until I injured my back. The first year or so I took as prescribed. I had to see my doctor once a month so he could ***** my pain. He treated my pain so I could live a somewhat normal life. It was me that continued going to him asking for the refill. He gave me the option to either live in pain or be treated for it. I chose to be treated. I was the one paying for his service. He was just doing his job. I was also the one who chose to take more than he prescribed.

It doesn't matter if it has acetaminophen, no acetaminophen or dog crap in them. An addict is going to use until he/she admits they have a problem and accepts all blame. It would be like me blaming former President Bush for my use. If we never would've invaded Iraq I wouldn't have injured my back and then never would have been prescribed pain meds. I willingly joined the Marine Corps just as I willingly filled that script. I have no regrets whatsoever as all of it has made me a stronger person.

Like I said though, this is just my opinion.
I found the bush comment hilarious! Lol. My point was not to blame anyone. I just think its crazy with as many people that are suffering with addiction to come out with yet another opiate. There are plenty of people who innocently get on them for legit reasons and are addicted before they know it.I'm clean and staying that I way I just feel for the Zy addicts to come.
I try to think in terms of how a non addict in chronic pain feels. Miserable. We can't always think about how this drug will affect addicts but more how much it will HELP chronic pain sufferers.

It's use will be in the hands of the users and thus a decision will be made. I think it's great that the apap,asa,and ibuprofen are removed. It makes it less caustic to the liver. It will be time release.  It will come in 50mg capsules and that's the only reason it makes it 5x stronger than a 10mg Vicodin!  I also believe the prescribers will be somewhat judicious with their prescriptions...

Listen, addicts know how to get their drugs. They're also pretty savy when it comes to eliminating Tylenol from anything!  ( I won't go into that here)

My point is: An addict will use anything. A chronic pain patient has but a few choices and I'm glad to see this added to their short list.  I'm not concerned about this new formulation but I AM wondering what the hell it's going to cost!

I have to agree with my friends IBK and bmdad.  When we cross that line between relieving pain and increasing pleasure...it becomes our choice.

Oh and one more thing:  Many have gotten addicted from legit prescriptions,yes. I feel strongly that if their pain had been treated more appropriately in the beginning, they wouldn't have been increasing their doses in numbers and frequency to get relief. That surely would send most on a downslide!
I see where you're coming from. There are millions of addicts out there but there are also millions of people out there that do take them responsibly and for legitimate reasons. I do think they are over prescribed but there are also people that have to have them to be able to live a normal life. Doctors have to be able to trust their patients when they say they are in as much pain as they are. If they didn't trust their patients there would be people no longer wanting to live because of pain. I do wish there was a way where they could figure out who really needs them and who doesn't. Maybe they should start using lie detectors at doctor's offices! Maybe they should start making everyone who needs them go to their doctors office to a clinic to take their dose so they could regulate them better. The thing is, as long as there are people out there that need them, there are always going to be people that don't need them that can get their hands on them.

I know I needed them at first and probably could have backed off of them after the first 6 months or so. At the time I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I also didn't realize that I can live while dealing with some pain. I think most people think that they should be completely pain free all the time. I also think most people forget how well ibuprofen and other otc meds work. At least that's how it was for me.

When it comes down to it, some people need pain medication. There are just a lot of people that say they need it when they don't. I'm like you though and wish they could come up with a way to figure out how to prescribe them to the ones who really need them. I think that comes down to the people rather than the doctors. I'm not saying there aren't crooked doctors out there but there are also a lot of drug seekers too. It's just a sad situation.

People need to be made more aware of their dangers. How many kids become addicted because parents leave an old expired bottle sitting in their medicine cabinet? Maybe they should start making people take a mandatory class before they are prescribed opiates? Maybe they should start giving monthly blood tests to anyone prescribed them to make sure they are not taking more than they are suppose to or even taking them at all? I have no idea but I wish something could be done. The pharmaceutical companies just see it as a big money maker for them. Maybe the government should start with them and have them do more. I don't know. I just wish there was an answer.

I do see where you're coming from. There are just so many variables that come into play. Hopefully without the acetaminophen there won't be as many overdoses but who knows. If an addict can't get one kind of pill they'll get another so in my opinion the type of pill doesn't really matter.

By the way....I was a Bush fan! I'd rather blame Obama!...lol
I WAS and AM a Bush fan!   He's the reason I got clean!  Just in case he called me and said: " Ms. Vicki, we need you now..."

Speaking of gov't and pharma....Have you noticed how FAST this drug was tested and approved for market???   It wasn't 20 years like most drugs...so it's: Hey! Mr FDA!  F you!!!
I had 2 thoughts that came to mind when i saw this....Let me break it down for you

Clean brain...OMG WTF?
Addict part of brain.....hmmmm
                               ROFLMAO!!!!!!
Gotta love honesty huh vicki!!  lol
VICKI FOR PRESIDENT!! VICKI FOR PRESIDENT!! yyyeeeaaahhhhhh
Yall crack me up! Major Bush fan here as well! Obama not at all! I agree with everything being said completely. It just scares me for those to come. I do also wish there would atleast be some sort of ed on these and non narcotic options for pain relief. Atleast then people would fully know what to expect. Alas you are all correct that if not this drug addicts will always find something. I'm just baffled. Its sad the number of people who dont realize that there are lots of choices besides addictive meds.
i agree that any pain medication should be made with the primary concern being to treat pain, not about what addicts will do with them.

however, i do hope they make this difficult to shoot up and it doesn't just become a new oxycontin. it will be a nightmare if they don't.
and oh my, vicki...you and mr bush......

lol
Don't laugh...it was MY fantasy!
hahaha
My fantasy never included the BUSH!!  lol

Found some wax and it really is helping!  Thanks vicki~~
Leave it to the addicts to go from the topic of new drugs on the market to disturbing images of Vicki and George W with a brazilian wax. lol
I like his Dad, too.  Actually, I like them EQUALLY and at the same time..

So put THAT in your imagination!

...and George W. is my drug now...
IBK that is so funny!!!
I say this with love.................GET HELP!!
NOPE!    It's too much fun in MY little world....LMAO!!
i agree about the waxing thing....

and vicki, the father and son thing? u really went there? lol.
OMG!! My brain just did the SAME thing! I keep telling it to "shut up"! Hahah!
What did I tell you about talking about other men Vicki? Keep it up and I won't be meeting you in Vegas like we had planned.

I'd rather have you talking about Bush rather than Obama though!
Oh dear Brian...you know my relationships with the Bush men is strictly political...how do you think I got my current position with.....nevermind that...

You'll meet me in Vegas...no question in my mind...is Super Bowl Sunday too soon?    

...and Brian:  Don't threaten me with cancelling plans!  But if you do...plenty of notice please.  ;)      
Do you guys REALLY think Bush,(either on of them) did a good job?

Clinton just about had the old mans mess straight and Jr. had to come along and gum up the works again!

Too bad we couldn't have had Clinton for one more term, he just about had this economy whipped back in shape.
AND vicki, you would have had a better chance to see the inside of the Whitehouse!!
I'm sure she has a black dress!!
vegas sounds like fuuuun!
Oh My, Vicki in the Oval Office, in a black dress ....kneeling. Another visual burning holes in my eyes!

I think Monica's dress was blue but Vicki can pull off the black quite well!!!
I thought it was black!!!

Cuban cigar anyone??!!!
Black dress? I figured she'd be prancing around in some knee high stockings. I bet she'd even try and steal Sarah's stripper poll and plant that in the middle of the Oval Office. I wouldn't put anything past her!

Obama would have a heck of a time with his speeches since he'd be looking at Vicki and not the teleprompter.
Monica's blue dress would be waaaay too big for me...

Of course I have a black dress.

I HAVE seen the inside of the White House.

I do not EVER wear thigh high stockings...once in awhile a thong...

But, all of this is soooo last year...

Cigar anyone???