craving sweets?
   Is it normal for me to out of the blue start craving chocolate? I have tapered down from 90 mgs of methadone to as of monday, 34 yipi! But ever since I,ve gotton lower in my dose I have this sudden urge for sweets, its almost like I,ve got to have it, and Im a woman who is very small and I weigh 117 pounds which Id like to stay at, but this craving candy is ridiculous. Any ideas, and is this normal? During my taper Id like to stay as healthy as possible and I am taking vitamins and now taking up yoga and meditation, so all is well, except for the cravings of candy.
Maybe you could find a hard candy that has fewer calories  but still satisfies your weet tooth, I notice that cutting down on my meds makes me want off the wall stuff! I dont know much about Methadone so im no help there! But maybe the candy will help

Becca
Sounds like a low blood sugar thing to me. That can be checked out if you know a diabetic. Its simple. And it is normal for a few reasons. Probably activating a pleasure receptor somewhere that has been occupied previously by the methadone. I don't see this putting weight on you, but only you know how much your eating.  Stick with it....
I have heard of this. I'm a recovering herion addict, and I was told during my withdrawal that if I ate lots of sugar it would help with the jitters, and it worked for me. I craved pixie sticks. Your body is craving it, because it needs it. I say indulge a litte... if you want chocolate... then have it. You can worry about eating the right things after you get passed all this. Good luck!
yeah u crave sweets....like crazy...its normal for opiate addiction....why? dont know..i do know when i was "dope sick" if i had a jolly rancher, it wasnt as bad....so go with it for awhile...just remember to brush those teeth....

carrie
I've heard that's common. I don't have that happen. I didn't care for sweets or coffee while using. And I've always liked coffee. I'm drinking coffee again, but I'm still ambivalent about sweets.