Addiction: Social Community
getting through w/d's..
About This Community:

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

getting through w/d's..

Plan something that gives you something to look forward to.  I know that most of us going through w/d are thinking NOTHING sounds fun without the damn pills.  But think hard.  What did you used to love doing?  Look back at your ‘old’ life….where did you love going?  Plan to go away.  Go somewhere you love, whether it’s an hour away or 3,000 miles.  Today my husband told me he was proud of me (and him, he is going through some of this too) and that he wanted to plan for us to go away.  He wants to take me to Hollywood.  We live in Sacramento and for some reason I have always loved going to Hollywood.  But it has been so long since I’ve been there.  Or anywhere for that matter.  I didn’t realize how much these pills have consumed my life.  He arranged for his mother to have the kids for the weekend of August 3rd , and we’re going to drive there.  Just him and me.  I forgot I even liked road trips, I haven’t thought about this stuff for so long.  I have been looking forward to it since the minute he told me.  And I’ll be able to plan my trip without worrying about having enough pills or wondering how I’m going to get the money before we leave so I can buy a stash to take with me.  It will be a clean, honest, refreshing trip.  No booze, no pills, but also no hangovers or withdrawals.  I will be through the worst part of this by then and I have a feeling I’ll be amazed by how much fun I had – sober.

Keep thinking.  If nothing sounds good, keep thinking.  If you don’t have anywhere, plan a weekend to get in the car and drive.  Go with your spouse, a friend, it doesn’t matter.  Stay at a nice hotel and pamper yourself.  Just give yourself something to look forward to.