Addiction: Social Community
oxycodone abuse

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

oxycodone abuse

Hey Everyone,
I have a family member who was prescribed oxycontin for osteoarthritis and back pain several years ago.  Instead of taking this med as prescribed, he began snorting it...the following three years were hell.  He also abused fentanyl patches.  He finally went into detox and was clean for one year.  Six months ago, he decided to go back on pain meds, for his pain he told me.  He was prescribed oxycodone and methadone.  Although he is nowhere near as out of control as he was several years ago, I've seen him snorting his oxycodone several times.  He tells me he does this when he needs to get the med into his system quicker for pain.  He said he does not do this all the time.  He has also traded some of his methadone for oxycontin several times.  I don't know how he took the oxycontin.  
My question is this....isn't this very risky behavior for someone who had SUCH a problem with opiods in the past?  Is it necessary for him to do the things he does to control his pain with these meds, or should his pain be controlled by taking them as prescribed?  Does anyone feel he's doing what he's doing for any reason other than to control his pain?  I don't know what to think anymore.  I've caught him in so many lies and so there have been so many broken promises.
Thank you.
HI... I am so sorry you are going through this.

From what I have read here, yes, he is definitely an addict and yes, he is definitely participating in risky behavior.  I feel very comfortable saying this is about the drug now, not about his pain... especially since he's already detox'd/rehabbed once.

The lies, broken promises.. all of it.  Someone simply controllling their pain doesn't do this either, or snort Oxy.

I'm sorry... :-(

let me know if i/we can help in any other way...
mj
Welcome to the forum!
I have heard that snorting can be dangerous. He sounds like he is not just taking for pain, but he is abusing. I would have a "heart to heart" with him and maybe he will agree to rehab or therapy. I wish you the best.

God Bless,
Tim
Thank you for your posts.  Two more questions please......

This person tells me that it doesn't matter how you take oxycodone for pain...snort it or take it orally...it all goes into your system;
he also tells me that just because you snort oxycodone, it doesn't mean you are an addict??????  Maybe this is true, and some people can use it recreationally, but with his history does anyone think he is one of the people who could use it recreationally?  

What do addicts with chronic pain do to control their pain?

Thank you so very much.
I've been snorting oxy for 6 months and tapered of this whole week to my last dose last night.  We'll see how it goes.  I don't believe snorting can be good for you at all, but I wanted the rush now (since some pills are extended release).
when you say oxy, do you mean oxycodone or oxycontin?  do you take this med for pain?
Oxycotin.  Not for pain, but for the high.
is there any way someone could snort an oxycodone pill and not get high?  what if he snorts just 10 mgs.?  oxycodone pills are 10 mg., but I don't know how many he snorts.  with his history, do you think he snorts oxycodone for pain or to get high?  and, with his history, do you think he'll end up back where he was several years ago?  do you think if someone has abused opiods in the past, that they're ever able to take them for pain again?
Hoping someone can answer my last post of 8/3/07. Thanks.
If he is snorting them he is doing it to get high... which is kinda stupid since you do not get as much of the drug by snorting them.. they are made to be absorbed at 100% via oral admisistration.. at insuffilating them he is maybe getting 60-70% of the drug and they are not lasting near as long which leads to taking them more often. Anyway you asked if an addict can ever take them for pain... I highly doubt it in most circumstances... Once an addict always as addict... People who are dependent on pain meds for pain take them to improve the quality of their life.. not to get high... Addicts snort pills.. there is no doubt about that.. If he really thinks that this is kosher he should tell his doc he is taking them that way and see what he thinks
The other thing I thought of is the when you snort pills.. they really do not help the pain all that much.. it increases the euphoria and how fast it hits you.. but as far as pain that is a cop out.. I know this from personal experience from sniffing pills back in the day... I would take half for the pain and sniff half to get high..
Spoken like a true addict! Sounds like something I would have said at one point. Just cause I shoot up an Oxy don't make me an Addict! So what I can't go more than 2 hrs without any Oxy I am not an ADDICT. I learned quick fast and in a hurry that what I thought an Addict was and what an Addictreally is was not the same thing. Sad thing is you are an Addict from the get go whether you admit it or not.