sober with very little friends
Just moved to austin texas about 3 months ago and about to get 6 months clean and sober. Ive moved around alot and I realize it takes about 6 months to 7 to make friends and develop a social life but right now im not doing much i have maybe one or two people to hang out with and by that i mean go to meetings with. Recently ive been sitting in my house alot and i just keep thinking it would be really easy to sit back and take a xanax and drink a few drinks. It kind of *****. Im worried that because im not using i wont develop a social life as fast. Which is a dangerous situation for me. Why would anybody be sober if they had no friends. I know the friends that you use with are not your friends but im starting to think that my friends that i go to meetings with arent really my friends either. we have one thing in common recovery. So the only difference between my old friends and my new friends is that my new ones dont steal or blow me off as much. I need to find young people meetings im 21. Im doing all my step work and im on step 9. I do my constructive review every night. I still feel like a dry drunk. I need social interaction with people who are like me. Anybody know how to find young people meetings or the demographics of meetings. In austin texas
Justin,

I think meeting people anywhere would be pretty much the same anywhere. What do you like to do? If its baseball, do that or any kind of hobby. That way you're meeting people with similar interests and getting out and doing stuff. Join a gym or take a class that you've always wanted to take. Once you get into a situation like that you will have people to talk to that have something in common with you.

Good luck!

Melissa
try a church with a large young adult group.  i know they do lots of fun things and the benifit of that is they are probably sober. lol
I know it takes time bro just hang in there and when the right true friends come along it will be well worth the wait and the sweating this out. Sober you will find the type of friends that will last a lifetime and are not there for gain except to gain time with ya. So hang on and they'll come it does happen..... I know you have probably heard it a million times but I would say one out of every twenty using friends I had were not fairweather friends.... Hang round here and you will no doubt make fiendships quick. I did........ Mike
Its hard to find people who are like me sober and do what i do. I love live music so i see alot of that and most people with 5 months will freak out and have to leave because the obssession is still their for them. Also very few people have good sobriety at my age to which makes it even more difficult those who do that i have met arent my type. Im about to start service work I think that will help.
I got clean and sober when I was 22 stayed that way religiously for a month or two shy of ten years then I had to have my back repaired after I broke it and here I am so it never actually leaves as they say it just waits and pregresses...... I stayed uinvolved in the 12 step program I felt most comfortable in a devoted so much time there it still amazes me and I definitely lost all my friends save one or two that were real. You have a great start and sound like you are doing what is necessary to stay sober bro.... I know how dificult it is when your young but keep this in mind I know beyond any shadow of a doubt had I not stayed sober for that time I would most definitely not be alive today and that is just by what I have done recently and not even taking into consideration my younger days. I caould not even imagine living that long while using and still not die. So u no the draw one day at a time and u no the rest........
I think this might be my first time posting this out here in the forum I told two people here so far I think as it is embarrasing but well worth it to let you know you are not the only one to get sober young but hopefully you will make it all the way without any failures....
I mean justin sorry y did I type that there. I am still a lune... LOL
I'm 19 just turned and figured out I want to change my life around, quit oxies weed and drinking so im going to rehab ive been waiting for over a month now going june 30th. I'm younger than you but sometimes you learn alot more and experience more bad things than you should till you're 40 in a shorter time and kno whats best and what will ruin your life. stay clean whatever you do, I think like you too sometimes why bother if nobody is my friend or cares right? which is wrong, we have to care about ourselves to truely accept friends and make strong relationships. think of how much u have to be proud of at this point rather than if u slipped. You're starting to build up confidence and I only wish I was at your stage right now I cant wait till I get through these bad habbits. So good luck even though you won't need it
thanks everyone for your awsome advice and wisdom. very uplifting