Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
10 days off Hydrocodone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

10 days off Hydrocodone

All:  The fatigue is trying my patience.  Its been 10 days.  Withdrawal is over.  Been through some hardcore W/Ds in the past from oxy, methadone, morphine, etc abuse.  I can get up and go to work now and I'm committed to ending this madness.  I've already done the quit, then restart the abuse circle a number of times.  I always end up in the same place.  So, the question is......(drumroll)

Do I need to do the 5HTP, B6, L-tryosine, zinc replacement therapy or do I just need to tough it out.  I abused pills hard core for the last 5 years but tapered down to 20 -30 mg of hydrocodone before this last attempt.  I don't have RLS but I do still have sleep problems and I really detest the fatigue.  I make sure to have a spare set of clothes in the care just in case I forget the immodium.  For you "been there, done that folks", whats my next step?
are you taking any kind of vitamins now?

ABritt
Mind over matter..Try not to dwell on it. It feels like crap but get determined and get on your feet and move. I'm dealing with the same...
I guess what I'm trying to say is thinking about the reality, which is real, just keeps pulling you down. Screw that! Stand up, find something to do. Get irritated and decide you can get thru this,,,,,,because you can.
Nope, taking nothing right now.
I'm hanging in there.  I'm off Friday with a bunch of business to take care of then sporting clay shooting with about a half dozen of my friends on Sat.  The fatigue really pisses me off.  I know I could score a few hydros and be "on".  I've just done it so many times that I'm really tired of the merry-go-round.  Does any of the thomas recipe stuff actually do any good besides the immodium, like the suppliments that are recommended?  You can send a message directly to me if you don't want to answer on the forum
i would def start taking some vitamins they will help go get you a good multivitamin i used centrum energy for your reason exactly helped with that also get some b vitamins b6 and b12 will also help energy get vit c and you can also go to a health food or vitamin store and get l-tyrosine and that will help with energy are you still having rls and all that at night to if you are also pick up some magnesium and potassium for that they help out alot with the leg cramps and all that at night but i would def get the multivitamin and b vitamins if you dont wanna get all of it

Good Luck and Godspeed

ABritt
The "on" stops at a point. Then its a mental thing which eats at you saying "why". I've crossed that boundary and gotten mad and said I don't need you. Once over that, then things can start to get back to the way they were. Remember how things were before. It wasn't needed then, and it isn't needed now..Just try..
and about the thomas recipe being that you are already 10 days clean i really dont think you would need the recipe because most of your withdrawals are gone right? just the energy bugging you cause alot of that on the recipe is to help you get thru the initial withdrawals you know the sick feeling and anxiety and all that the stuff on there wont help for energy well it does mention the l-tyrosine but that all for the lack of energy

ABritt
I didn't mention that I took the weekend, and then 2 workdays off for the worst of it.  I've been back to work for a week.  I do IT system admin stuff so my time is fairly full.  What I'm really asking for is for someone to tell me that it will be OK, and that all the fatigue will be gone tomorrow, that I'll be a new man and suffer no more consequences for my drug using behavior!  haha.  Seriously though, if anything will speedup the neuron system repair in my brain, well, I all ears!!
Agreed abritt, most of the physical should be past. Now its a case of breaking the routine :).
did u read my other post about the multivit and all of that cause that will help
I've given up on my "friend"  We've had some great times together but its time we go our separate ways.  I'm not going to pick up anything because I know where I'll end up, right back here in 6 months telling you just how committed I am to changing my life.  And you're right, I had a hell of a good time without this ****.  I don't like the cost, I don't like the dependancy.  Will the suppliments help or is that mostly psychological help for those needing something to lean on. ( not that there's anything wrong with that) its just that when it comes to truthfulness, I start with myself.
The new wife is on her way to get the suppliments and vitamins that I told her about.  The old wife, who I dearly loved, decided that her way out was to take huge dose of methadone.  When I woke up that morning she had this very pretty lavender blue hue to her lips.  I did CPR and got her heart started, but that's all that started, she was declared brain dead from respritory failure. (sp) geez, I wished these forums had a spell checker.  On top of that, her daughter's wedding was in 2 days, so I had people landing at the airport saying "yay, we are here" and I'm telling them their mom is in a coma.  Went through with the wedding and the next morning, on Sunday, I pulled the plug.  We had talked about this kind of thing and I knew what she wanted.  This was 2+ years ago.  Its taken this long for me to be ready, emotionally, to deal with everything.  Narcotics are incredible in their ability to numb your emotions.  I don't know how I would have gotten through all that without them.  My new wife happens to be a clinical theripist, so I've had some excellent guidance towards sobriety.
I liked what you said about the clean clothes.  Nothing worse than a shart.
well sorry about all of the bad things that is horrible but i am glad you have decided you are ready to be clean and the vitamins will help so much they actually speed up detox to if you start taking them the first day without pills but you are past that and i dont need to tell you the whole list of vitamins i took cause i only took them for the first like 8 days and then i started feeling better and started taking the vitamins i mentioned for you but they will help with your energy i mean its not a miracle fix and gonna make you feel like you have all the energy in the world or anything but it helps and will give you energy to get out and exercise and walk and stuff because exercise it the best thing to help you get your body back in sync and to get your energy back so try to take the vitamins and start exercising and your energy will come back so much faster and any exercise helps like just start out with a little walk and just walk a little more each day or couple of days or however and you will start feeling better much quicker

Good Luck and Godspeed

ABritt
I too am sorry to read of your story.  Its amazing how much it takes for us to decide we are tired of it.  Some of us never do.

I agree with Abritt - try the amino acid protocol.  If you have insurance, you can also ask your doctor for B-12 injections.  Supposed to be great in injection form for energy.  Also I most important:  EXERCISE.  Its one of the best ways to get yourself energized and your endorphins working.  Start slow with walking or jogging and just push yourself.  When I first came off subxone a while ago, the only way to achieve some sort of RUSH or happiness would be to push myself jogging -- to the point of almost throwing up. lol.  Speeds up the blood, gets your body racing AND pumps out endorphins.  

Other than that - time.  10 days is GREAT.  Hang in there.. in 10 more days you will be even better and so on..

Good luck and God bless.
OK, I've got the following.  What dosage should I use...

5htp 100 mgs
Ltyrosine 500 mgs
theanine serene
B 6 at 200 mgs
I know and feel your pain..I'm 121 days free of Oxycodone and Somas  Your energy will come back soon..Try B-12 and get some excerise.. a short walk around the block even if you don't feel like it..What really helped me was my NP put me on anti-dep  called celexa..Takes about 2-4 weeks to work..But boy what a life changer it has been.
Keep in mind that the mental demons will start talking to you...But don't listen..YOU are stronger than them!  Keep posting.  feel free to eamil me with any questions anytime
We are all here for you!

G
Hey dude congrads on 10 days clean...it takes a wile to get your energy back and I agree with the above posters....myself I found whey protein shakes help a lot there loaded with vitamins and have a lot of the amino acids in them also+ protein is what the body/mind need to heal...another thing that would be recommended would be some sort of aftercare
weather it be N/A  A/A or a good substance abuse conslor but your going to need help to break this cycle of on again off again use and aftercare will give you the tools and teach you the skills to learn how to live a drug free lifestyle from you post it sounds like you have had enough so take the steps to get yourself well good luck and God bless....Gnarly
Hang in there my friend. I'm dealing with the same issue and I still have surgery to get out of the way before I can start counting the days that I will have left all of it behind. But here recently in the past year, I've found myself knocking on wd's door more than I should have been. Because the pain had me taking more than I had to get thru the month leaving me short.  Thing is, I'm sick of it now, and want it gone. Sooner the better. And it will be ok. It's just that the change won't happen overnight. Just a little each day but you have to believe the next day is better than the last.. You are this far in. Keep going.
Hi~ As far as doses go...There should be dosing instructions on the sides of those bottles of vitamins and aminos. The print is small.
V.
Hey bud congrats on 10 days awesome. I will tell you this though your energy will come back natral energy not one cozed by taking a pill. I have fought a 13 year heroin addiction and when i went cold trukey i never slept or had any energy for two weeks but when i got to two weeks i slept for three days and when i woke up i did not have to drag my body to get up. It was like all my natural energy returned. I think it takes different ppl different times for there energy to come back. Every w/d is not the same after my physical w/d i had to deal with a lot of guilt the mental side of my addiction, what im saying is its different w/ds for different ppl the last thing to leave me was rls just know the longer we are clean the more our bodies get back to normal. You have done a great job thus far keep on going and all things will get back to normal it does get better it really does ,,,,James
just take the dose that is on the bottle and that should work just fine and for the l-tyrosine you can take up to 2000 mg but i would start at 1000 and go up or down from there because it can make you jittery if you take to much

Good Luck and Godspeed

ABritt
and i would also really try to find b12 cause that is one of the main ones i would take to help with energy
All is still good.  Still on track.  Starting to feel a bit better.  14 days now I think.  It's been about 4 years of serious usage and I was wondering if I would ever feel better.  Where I'm at now is very tolerable.  I have ups and downs but I'm delighted with where I am.
Thanks to all of you for your support and kind words!
Glad to know you are still on track!  Keep us posted.
All is still good.  Still on track.  Starting to feel GREAT.  15 days now.
Congrats!  Keep it up!  Glad you are doing well and feeling great.  It gets better! : )
Just got a phone call from one of my "people" who said he had some "treats".  I told them I was done and that it felt great to be free!!  I see this as an essential part of the process, breaking those lines of supply.
Thank you for this post.  I ran out of pills a few days ago and have been scraping together what I could to get by, but I still have almost 2 weeks to go before my prescription can be refilled.  After reading about how great you are feeling now after 15 days, I think I can do it too.  
Proud of you.  That was a HUGE step and a very hard one!  Tell your "people" to leave you alone! LOL  : )

Are you going to NA or seeing any kind of therapist?
My current wife is a clinical therapist.  haha.  I know that doesn't count.  I have a therapist I've been seeing for about 20+ years.  If I felt the need I have her to assist, but I'm really, really intent on doing this myself.  I have some sense of the underlying problems that make me prone to substance abuse.  I understand that I need to address those or failure is likely.  I have plenty of experience with what happens if I return to using  and I have a committment to my current wife, who has been there for me through 2+ years of some nasty stuff.  But this is my problem and I intend on doing the work necessary for success.
Another day ok!
Day 18.  Another hurdle overcome.  fought with the wife. A classic scenario that I would use to start "using" again.  I just decided that I'm not going there.  I don't what to have to do this again.  I'm feeling a little better each day.  It's not a lot better, just a little bit, a little bit at a time.  But the cumulative effort is amazing.  I can get up and go to work without pills.  I can do work around the house and plan fun time with my friends, all without pills.  It's the first time in 5 years that I can say that.  I own much of that to people here who kept reassurring me that I would actually feel better someday.  Thanks to all of you.  And to all that are trying to get their lives back, hang in there.  It does suck, but the reward is worth it.
day 20, still clean
Three weeks clean!!
Great! I look forward to the day I can claim the same..Keep that positive energy flowing..Sounds really nice!
Still here, still clean.  Lots of ups and downs.
Over 3 weeks - you are doing great!  Keep it up!
Way to go!! Are you doing aftercare? It`s a must if you want to stay clean in my opinion. Im starting NA meetings again and am seeing a counsellor. (Although will be looking for a new one, I don`t feel comfortable with the current one and so the search continues)
I think you should be really proud of yourself!!! WAY TO GO!!
Still good!  Another day of the future.
Hanging in there.  All is good.  I will not be denied my freedom!
Way to go Pillguy!  Still hanging in there staying strong!!!!!  You got a great attitude, keep it up my friend.
Your progress gives hope
Two more days and I'm 4 weeks clean.  
No cravings.  I'm surprised by that.
4 weeks.  Today has been my first nearly normal day since I quit.  Yeehaa!!
Whooo Hoooo congrats on 4 weeks!
Hi~  4 weeks is wonderful,huh?  Good for you!! Glad you're feeling nearly normal !

Vicki
Well, you're probably tired of my daily updates but... this is my 1 month anniversary.  All of you have helped me so much by encouraging me to stay the course and reassuring me that things will gradually get back to normal.  THANKS!  I recognize the nature of the battle, that its for the rest of my life, but that's just fine.  The rewards are worth it.  I've come to realize the delusions that come with the abuse, that I had more energy, that I got more done, that I felt better.  These things, in retrospect, simply weren't true.  I love my new life.  I get up in the morning without my little helper and know, "this is real life".  I'm good with real life.  Thanks Again!
Congratulations to you on 1 month!  I don't think anybody gets tired of reading such encouraging news!  You are doing great!  Keep it up!
I admire your progress and determination.  Thank You for sharing your story .. it is possible.
Well, a little over a month now.  By the way, it's been 2 weeks off cigs.  I had intense urges to smoke anytime I took a drug that affected dopamine levels.  I've had no cravings for narcotics but have had some cravings for cigs lately.  I think that's probably a good thing, indicating my dopamine balance is moving towards a more 'normal' range.  This seems like a good time to look at any habit that affects overall health, not just narcotics.  Everyone, have a great weekend and good luck with your challenges!
Last month, when I ran out 3 weeks before my next refill (shame-shame) I just about skipped withdrawls entirely and had the energy of superman when I took a diet pill called Cylaris. It has a bunch of green tea and vitamins. It was pretty unreal until I ran out of that. They don't sell it in stores near me anymore. It was something I had in my cabinet to help me lose weight but I got pregnant so I didn't take it then. I tried Kim and Khloe Kardashian's Quick Trim yesterday- I hope I can return it. The fatigue is an obstacle and you sound strong willed...if you think you don't need it, don't take it. But I figure if it's psychological- I may as well take vitamins to 'feed the need' like a cigarette smoker...hand to mouth thing....oh, last month while taking cylaris, I was also taking 5HTP 100mg twice a day. It was like skipping all the w/d and becoming supernatural. Even my partner noticed how chipper and energetic I was during our down time...might be worth the try...I mean it wasn't like meth or anything...no palpitations either. Just a little easier and motivated to do things...and actually, not as painful to get up in the morning...I have an infant and have to get up several times and wasn't ever grouchy! Just happy to see her beautiful face smiling at me at 2 in the morning  :-)
Dear Pillguy, I'm so sorry for your lost. I feel like an a$$ because I didn't see all these updated posts! I found this site on my phone while trying to passby a dreadfully painful night of w/d while at work. Unfortunately, the mobile version just gives the first few posts. I am so encouraged to keep on keepin on by all of your updates since. I too hope to feel "normal" energy and life because I have truly forgotten what that feels like. Good luck w/ your battle!
PS, I was going to try and buy Cylaris or similar online tonight but I don't think I will now. If everyone says the energy will come back, then I'll trust that. Hopefully it was all the pill popin that made me put on this weight and that will fall off along w/ the fatigue? Yah right, I know- one battle at a time. Take care!
Still moving forward.  
I love reading your updates! Congratulations on over a month!  You should be really pleased.  Keep posting; it encourages others.
Well, tomorrow is 6 weeks clean.  All is stiil good.  Wedding was a very nice event Friday.
WOW! i was reading what you have been thru you are a really strong keep up the good work!It will all be worth it in the end!!! Kitty
7 weeks clean.  Its been worth everything to get here.
Great Pillguy, please keep that enthusiasim coming. I'm tracking you and a couple other's for inner strength for my upcoming time to do the same post surgery...Just want this med nightmare over. Want the real me back..
Pillguy, your story and the hundreds of others have helped me immensely!!!   Today is day 9 for me, and I won't get into details, but just wanted to say thanks.  Tomorrow is double digits.  I'm only 37 but social security and retirement seem closer than six weeks, but you have inspired me.  What I learned th most is that after nine days of hell, I would just go back to pills, thinking that I did so much damage to my brain that I would never sleep or have energy ever again.  Stuff always comes up in my social life that I want to be "on" for, and the pills helped, but now I really see the light.  It is a baby step process everyday.  Thanks!!!
Awsome work my friend!! For me, I take B-complex vitamin as well. I have 23 days, and am still feeling fatigued, resltess, my mind screwing with me, blah blah. But, B-Complex helps with our central nervous system, which pills just screw all to heck! good luck!
Today was my first "normal" day since I quit.  Mowed the lawn as soon as I got home from work last night.  Then went through all my hiking gear for a 4 day trip to a cabin in the Colville Nat Forest.  Starting to feel like a normal person again.  Sometimes I wondered if it would ever happen!  I owe much to the community here that assured me that things would return to normal and that the effort to get clean was more than worth it.  YOU WERE SO RIGHT.  THANKS!     Now I continue on the path you've helped me find.  51 days as a free man
I have read the entire post and I am so happy to hear that the outcome is good and there is light at the end of the tunnell!!!!   I am on day 5 with no vicodin use!!!!! everyone pray for me.
Eight Weeks clean. Life is GREAT!!
60 days clean.
WOW CONGRATS !!!!!!

you are a fighter, pillguy :)
Awesome news!  How are things going for you?  
I'm on day 6 from taking trams. I was only taking the trams for a few weeks, and before that I was a week clean from oxys, hydros, suboxone, tram, ect.. I slipped the first time and started taking tramadol to feel better than decided to stop that.

My physical withdrawals are subsiding but still kick up at times, especially during the night.. I've been on an emotional rollercoaster and have had no energy and extremely bored, depressed, lonely..

Its great to read your improvements day by day!! Thanks for sharing, it really helped me!! And congrats of course!! :)