1186 days clean: pregnant and scared
Hello all! I haven't been in for awhile. I've made great progress and haven't touched a hydro in over three years. I'm pretty proud of that. I'm a little scared because I'm pregnant again (with #3) and I'm really worried about how I'm going to manage during and after birth. I'm contemplating having a natural childbirth to avoid the drugs. I know women had natural child birth for thousands of years before modern medicine. But I haven't ever had one naturally. I still have neck/back problems which haven't gotten any easier to deal with with an auto accident this last fall. I've always had medicine for pain after birth too. Has anyone else gone through this post addiction? I'm wondering how bad my addict brain would kick in if I had to take anything after birth? I'm scared to get rehooked. It's been a long time since I've touched anything so would my addict brain be better? I'm due this July.
WOW I am fairly new and I say what a inspiration you are..Way to gooo....
I was told if I needed to have any thing for pain that I would have to give it to my sponsor. When I was on the oxy/hydros before the methedone I would give my pills to my husband or mom and I would sniff them out and find them. Now I do have better strength, but will not take a chance with my addicted brain.
WOW AGAIN GREAT JOB
God Bless
vickie
Congratulations on your clean time and your pregnancy.   I can understand why you would be concerned.   Definitely discuss this with your Dr and see what options you have.  The trend now seems to be epidural spinal block).  My daughter had one during labor and delivery so she didn't need any pain meds during or after.  
Hello! You are like me, never even want to chance waking the beast! I have not had a baby post addiction, (thank you, tubal ligation! Lol), but as far as all my pregnancies went, I had epidurals with all 3 of my kiddos, and required pain meds for a few days after. As you may know, epidurals only last a short while, during childbirth and a bit after, and is only to numb your lower half. I believe that would be safe for you as an addict, but that is just my opinion. The trauma to your body from childbirth is what may or may not require pain medication. It just depends on your history, previous baby's weight at birth, etc. You may be just fine with Tylenol. If it were me, I would wait and see how bad the pain was, try alternative OTC medications, and use pain meds sparingly if unbearable. Have someone hold them for you, maybe? How were your other deliveries? By the way, congratulations on 1186 days! I wanna be you when I grow up!
Allison
Hi and wow--congratulations, on your time and on your pregnancy!

I had my first child naturally and at home. It was beautiful and painful. I did it to avoid what I felt would be a very high risk of c-section in our ONE archaic hospital, by the way. My OB tried to just schedule me one on the first prenatal visit, as he just thought it was better for a woman. I didn't want him being the one to decide, while I was in labor, if I "needed" a c-section. I had my second child in the hospital after I'd proved my awesomeness at birthing. I had an intrathecal, which is like an epidural but just one shot. I did profess my love for the anesthesiologist, but I don't remember wanting to beg him to come back and give me ANOTHER shot.

Anyway, the afterpains with my second were more pronounced than with my first, but still very manageable with over-the-counter meds. I know that there are lots of things that can happen with childbirth, including c-sections that are needed and life-saving, and sometimes pain meds are necessary. I wouldn't worry yourself too much about that now. Just make yourself a plan for how you'll deal with it if it happens? Put your previous addiction info on your birth plan so that the nurses and docs are aware, and make sure you have someone who can hold you accountable and dole out meds if they're needed?
Congrats :) I went all natural with all of my births except one and that was a csection. It really isn't bad if you go that route just keep in mind as long as you can stay calm, focus and breath you will be fine. I always just closed my eyes focused and you kind of just put your mind in a different place because your so focuses. Or you could do the epidural. As far as after the baby is born I only ever used ibuprofen even after my c section. I breastfed and never wanted any of that nasty junk to pass to my babies. Also another thing I used for pain that was amazing is a warm bath. That took most of the pain away for me. Good luck and congrats :)
Oh--and if you do try to go naturally, I hear that after the first it's much easier. I wish I could have done it the other way around.
The hot bath made me recall that I really wanted to have a water birth, but no one in my remote area would supervise one, not even the midwife I hired. That may have changed by now, and I know that some hospitals offer them. If you're really wanting to go natural, that might be something to look into, as I believe it makes it so much more comfortable.
Thank you all for your support and suggestions! I love this place. Still to this day this is still where I come for addiction help. I'll let you all know how it goes :)
I think you would be surprised at how well you could handle natural childbirth. I had both of mine before my addiction, and had both of them natural. I dont know if its not normal or if I just did so well that they didn't even offer me pain meds afterwards. I think the more active you are afterwards, the faster you heal and feel better also. Good luck!!