Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
14 days clean

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

14 days clean

I am posting here instead of the smoking forum..cos this is where i always post..sumtimes the pain forum...and i beleive nicotine is an addiction that can be harder to stop than many narcotics on the market...i have severe sinus issues and due to health reasons stopped smoking 10 yrs ago...and i reinterate...i stopped inhaling nicotine...but i switched to nicotine minta...and have been sukkin on them ever since..the money i spet was astronomical and the addiction was still there..the control..had to always be sure i was stocked up...and i have planned to quit on numerous occasions..didnt last long cos they werent really hurting much and the smoke didnt bother anyone...but the cost is more than smoking cigs......i tried to taper...dint work...so did ct 2 weeks ago..nicotine is tough to stop!  took me alot of yrs...how many others quit smokes and how did u do it?
I stopped the smokes about 3 1/2 wks ago after being opiate free now for
5 months.  For the first several months I refused to stop smoking because I felt like it was the only thing I had left that made me feel somewhat normal.  As time went on, they started tasting worse and worse as my senses came back.  Slowly I just smoked less and less and finally stopped.  It hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.  More
of a crutch to me to give me something to do with my hands.  Now if I could just get over the Sub/Opiate issues of fatigue and dealing with the pain, I would be good.  Oh well, life goes on.  Better try to enjoy it while we can.  Congrats on you 2 wks off the smokes.  Keep it up.
Congrats on kicking this!!!  I need to do this one of these days too.  Smokes are getting so expensive..........sara
Yea 4 U!! 14 days is Excellent. It is very hard…. I had 1 year of not smoking on June 11th, and I had been on oxys the entire time, but still managed to not smoke. When I quit smoking I started with the nicoderm patch, then chantrix then finally the gum for the last 6 months…. Sadly, I’m still on the gum. You are correct it is so hard to do. Also, I got this book called “If only I could quit” about nicotine addiction, I saw in on amazon *******, super cheap, I ate healthy, use to exercise, did not hang around smokers, and I was determined to do it.
I hope I will be as successful in giving up oxycontin. It’s day 8 w/o any oxys and i had strong cravings today, I should use the same determination as I did for smoking.
Anyway, I’m proud of you and the “one day at time” worked really well 4 me too.  Oh yea, I also told myself I could smoke in 1 year from my quit day, but of course I didn’t smoke.  Keep up the great work and your self esteem will escalate and you won’t want to blow it.
i think nicotine can be tougher for many..it was for me..it is socially/well somewhat/socially acceptable and u r not breaking the law....and it hits so many more receptors/nicotine does/that it is now wonder it is a bear to quit!   i lost my taste for caffeine after narc detox???  used to drink coffee every morning and one day i just lost the taste for it....lately i have been drinking a cup with my boyfriend in the mornig when he stays over..but i rarely finsih a cup...he smokes tho,,,bad thing for me....i can not nag him into quitting but it would be better for me if he did i think
Oh yea, that's tough when the BF smokes.... I hate that, and as a rule of thumb, I don’t like to date smokers!!!! Yep, it’s social, its legal, but its poison!!! It is a killer. Keep it up girrrrrl. oh yea, I dated smoker for 1 year, and right before we broke up I asked him for a puff of his cig.,  i made him smoke outside of my house, after that puff, I started smoking for 2 years again.... so, now I got another year!  Be careful!
For  me quitting smoking was a piece of cake.  I smoked about a half pack to a pack a day for ten years plus. I did it ct and never had cravings.  I guess we are all different because I think the opiates are the toughest to get off of.  I've been trying for 6 months(bymyself) and i am stuggling big time.  I'm not giving up though I will eventually succeed.

Toughinit.