Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
21 days clean of oxys, but how do you fight cravings?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I can not believe how far I have actually made it, its not the longest amount of time but it sure is worth it! I used to be addicted to oxycontin 80's atleast 3 a day and I would sniff them, gross! Let me tell you that cold turkey quittting was hard to do but everything is beginning to be well worth it. Without my decision to quit I would have lost my family, boyfriend, career & everything that I have. Im really happy that I made the choice. But I know it may seem easy but I know temptations can occur and what I'm asking is what do you people do personally to help fight a craving and how to get your mind off of everything, sometimes it gives me bad anxiety and all I was do is use.
Threw my days of using I had some absolutely HORRIBLE behavior that I am so disugusted to write today, but I used to steal from my family, boyfriend, lie, and just do terrible things, I still live with my parents now, and im trying to gain there trust back. but every now and then, yes i still get pissed off im a normal human and my mom just thinks that everytime im upset that im using, and she says to me "what did you do oxys again, how many pills did you take today" and then it just makes me what to use even more! Im in therapy now and I sometimes go to a church on sundays to help with everything but I just never know what to do when something like that comes about, do I leave and maybe then make the mistake of ******* up because im not home? or do I stay and deal with it?
I just need some advice on fighting cravings and gaining peoples trust back that you lost from using? I need some advice on how to get my life back together after sobriety? any advice is greatly appreciated =)
First of all congrats on 3 weeks clean. Cravings are very difficult, especially at first because they happen so much and very intense. Try to limit your triggers first and foremost. When a craving comes, it's important to keep your mind occupied, otherwise you will start to obsess about using and the craving grows. Go for a walk, go talk to a friend, or post on here, just be honest about it and let your addiction know who's boss. As you have more clean time, the cravings will not happen as much and most times not as intense, but we can never let our guard down.

It takes time to built that trust again, all you can do is prove to them and yourself your serious about this and will fight like hell. Relationships will be saved, but it does not happen overnight. Recovery is baby steps and your on the right track. Hold your head high, you will make it this time.
Thank you so much for your advice! I really need it right now and this is one of the only sites that I can really be as honest as possible. Thank you gizzy!!
what you do is you take one day at a time you do not run from your family they are your support  group if they seen you on the stuff they should 1 know the difference if your moody or high and if they really love you and support you which i  beleive is the case or you would not be there then in time they will trust you again. an adict will blame everything that goes wrong on why they went back to getting high. well this is the real world now and you have to be strong and deal with normal life without covering up the problems by getting high  going thru withdrawl (withdrawal) is hard but dealing with stress and giving up drugs are even harder.  when you get stressed out or blamed you go to your private room put some vicks under your nose and breathe and most of all tell yourself over and over i can do this, i am a better person in time your loved ones will see the difference and things will get better. you can handle the pressure i know you can. just breathe and be alone and talk yourself down cause its all up to you now.  PLEASE don't give up over a little stress it will get better because you are gonna make it better. May God Bless you and yours.
Wow your story is so encouraging.  Good for you!  You say you snorted 3 80mg a day and you quit cold turkey?  How long were you addicted?  Did you always snort them or did you swallow them?  How long did the worst part of the physical withdrawal last? You are inspirational to all of those battling this terrible addiction.  Keep it goin!  Remember that time heals all wounds..for you and for your family. Good luck
thnx everyone your words are really helping me with my cravings and the issues ive been having gaining peoples trust back again.
to family stone- heres my story, i was doing around 3-7 80's a day, at my worst when i was hitting rock bottom. i had this addiction for 3 years. and yes i was always snorting them. when i desided to make the choice to stop it was one of the hardest things about stopping. my wd symptoms lasted about 5 days. the worst of those wds were in days 2-3. but honestly it was just like having a cold. i thought it was going to be a lot worse then it was. you really have to keep yourself calm. i stayed home for 1 week and i just tried to relax the whole time watching FUNNY movies, going tanning (helps when you feel really cold and its gets those indorphins going, i prob spelt that wrong) and i would lay outside and help my mom with her garden, take my dog for a walk on the beach and just spend time thinking about everything (how much bettter my life is going to be). days 2-3 were difficult for me because i dealt with the restest legs which sux but i would just walk around. i took energy vitiams, and drank orange juice and the one thing that i can say helped me the most was SHOWERING! i legit took about 5 showers a day if you have a hot tub or a nice tub USE IT! i loved listening to music that would pump me up for a lil energy, i would take my IPOD out on walks. but you have to keep thinking to yourself im getting clean whether its 24 hours or 24 months look at it in the big picture YOUR CLEAN!! thats such an accomplishment in itself that it really does cheer u up! i made a poster in my room that i put the days up on post it notes to say 2 days clean or 5 days clean and it was huge that everyday i looked at it and was like wow i cant turn back. the physical stuff really ***** but u have to try to not think about it, keep urself busy with things like walks, movies, music, coming on here, phone, ect.
dealing with cravings suck but im working on that now and with the help of everyone here its really working i am not 22 days clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAYAY!!! i cant believe it.. well actually i can because i knew it was time. when you know its time you can make it happen. anyone and everyone can. everyone at one point in there life was not on pill or alcohol or drugs w/e and they were okay! so you dont need them to b happy!
but i gotta get back to work now! haha if anyone wants to write me to find out more of what i did with the w/d let me know!
and really any more advice on craving help and gaining loved ones trust back is greatly appriciated because thats what im trying to work on now that im over the w/ds
now 22 days clean*******
great job getting clean.  i am trying. i snort oxy's as well as roxy's,  well, hell anything that could be snorted with NO tylenol,etc i do.

like right now i have no money til friday so i knoooooow im  gonna be out til then. which is rough. but right now i dont wanna go get any oc's...on friday...but, that's what im thinking about, literally, this second. the mental part is so so hard for me.

best of luck to you!
I too, have been struggling with the cravings.  It's not that being normal isn't bad, it is just different and it has been so long since I felt that way.  I have been clean from Vicodin for 2 1/2 weeks now, and it is only the mental cravings that are messing with me.  I was doing 60mg of Norco's for almost two years straight, every day.  I was lucky enough to get a 3 day supply of Methadone to get me through the first 3 days, which really helped me.  Since then, I've been totally clean.  It's just the mental stuff.  It stinks!
The cravings for oxy will never go away.  Once your an oxy addict you will always crave that superb high.  Our brains will never forget how good they make is feel and as humans we always wont to feel good.  Really the only way around it is to get on long term suboxone treatment.  Im glad you got 21 days clean but it aint gonna last if you dont get medical help.  This is a seriouse chronic and progressive disease which in order to fully recover from involves taking medication.  Thats how all chronic progressive fatal diseases are dealt with, addiction should be no different.  I hde 11 months sober 2 years ago and the cravings got to me and I ended up homeless in florida shooting oxys and smoking crack.  Now i have 8 months sober and I have a **** ton of money, a hot girl, a house and a lot of cool music equipment.  Suboxone is the smartest way to deal with opiate addiction.  Dont listen to people who say your trading one drug for another because your not.  Your trading a horrible lifestyle for one of glorious surprises.  Just a thought.
cory
I am happy to hear your doing well now, but long term sub treatment is NOT the only answer and for some it has made things worse. There are other ways to recovery and many here are living proof. Cravings for all drugs get better with time and learning how to deal with life in a different way. Suboxone is not the solution for all, so be careful telling people that, happy it has worked for you. Best of luck and congrats on getting your life back.