Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
33 weeks and 5 days and im takeing opiates(scared need help)

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I dont Know what to do I know i am wrong for takeing pain meds while im pregnant. I been takeing oxycodone (percocet),oxycotine,some vicoden the whole time. I did manage to just stick with oxycodone and cut down to where i can cut a 30mg into 4pieces and be ok with that for the day.I used to be up to 12 plus pills a day.Now i am very worried about this cus i have bipolar and severe depression and anxiety. I go to a shrink perscriber and now there doing mandatory drug screening. I peed in a cup today but only a lil so i dont even know if they can use it i did take a 5mg and 20mg of percocet yesterday. I dont know if it was enough urine if it will show up and i am worried about it.This perscriber I have is really rude and miseriable she is new and this is only the 2nd time i have seen her.Anyway my OB has no idea I been takeing percocet or others i mentioned. I am scared to say anything because I dont want my baby taken but i know it will probably show in her system when she is born. I have had a past of useing drugs crack cocaine 13yrs i been clean off that. I have 3 childeren i do not have that the state took custody of not because of drugs but becase i was not on meds at the time and i was unstable.I am thinking they will take my baby cus of my past and use this against me im so worried and scared I have no clue how to deal with this. I have till between dec 30 - jan 3. I also live in MA and dont know there laws about it here. Someone please help and give me some advice if you can.
You need to talk with your OB and tell her what is going on.  You dont want them to find out the hard way.  If the baby is born addicted they will be prepared.  I know you are scared but the truth will set you free~~sara
U need to tell Ur midwife who Will support and advise u. Ur baby Will b addicted and Will need assistance. Social services Will assess Ur ability to care for Urself and baby.. Normally a last resort taking babies away. If i was u id get help before baby comes to prove u can do it. It'll go in Ur favour. Good luck x
I agree you need to tell your OB immediately. They will be much happier now rather than funding out after the baby is born. There is still a chance to ween you off. The important thing with narcotics and pregnancy is that you want to be clean the last 3-4 weeks so the baby does not have to withdraw. I had to be on percocet during my last pregnancy due to extreme migraines and kidney stones. I had a few surgeries during pregnancy but they couldn't remove them until after she came because she was laying on the stones! Ouch! My doc was great and weened me down, then moved me to codeine and weened further until I was off and my child was born perfect and no ill effects till this day - thank god because I too was scared but assured by multiiple high risk ob's that believe it or not narcotics are actually not that unsafe during pregnancy.  
I am also on a few depression meds which they kept me on. Like i said i am down to small amout i have been on im down to a 30mg oxycodone and cut it in 4 pieces and it works for the day. will it be easy to ween off that? The biggest thing im worried is cus i waited so long to tell my DR and him asking why and all that and notify social services on me I would die if my baby got taken from me cus I did wrong. But another way I think is I did this maybe i dont deserve to be her mom cus im a mess up..... So depressed. I know i can be a good mom and was never on pills before with any other of my pregnancys. I dont understand why i cant just give it up for my baby.
The more you reach out for help the more help will come your way.  What else is going on in your life that is making you depressed?  Keep talking with us~~~
I have had depression for years and it stems from childhood trama and abusive relationships I have been in.I have alot of hurt and pain in my life mentally and physically. I am stable right now as far as meds go for me being pregnant but I am very depressed that i am doing this to my body and my babies Im hating myself right now. I feel like a failure to my baby Im suppose to be the healthy one for my baby and im not doing the right thing.
Do you have a therapist or counselor that you are comfortable talking with?  That will really help you deal with all the trauma you have gone thru.  As for right now, you are trying to make things better for you and your baby and you will succeed in coming off these pills.  Once you tell your OB about this you will feel so much better.  You are a good person Melissa, you just made some bad choices just like we have all done.  We have a couple girls that are pg now and have come off pills and they are feeling better.  They will be on in the morning as i am sure they are sleeping right now.  This isnt hopeless at all.  You can get your life back.      sara
Thank You Sara !!!! You are the first encouragement I have had in along time..... I do have a therapyst and a med perscriber same place I have to be on my antidepressants. Just not on the other everyday. I have to learn to live with chronic pain. Not because of pregnancy I have had it before pregnancy but was takeing more then i am now way more.....How can i be addicted to crack cocaine and stop without thinking twice about it cold turkey no help. But i cant stop takeing a pill everyday for pain..... Its so hard to answer and I dont know how to answer this even know its for my baby and my health. I have a big question tho if i start getting off now will my baby be ok without withdrawls from this drug and will I be ok? The biggest thing is knowing my baby will be ok. You also mentioned there are other ladies that tapered off did there DR know and do they have healthy babies and have there babies and how far along where they?
Good Morning Melissa~~

Stuckandscared didnt mean any harm by what she said.  She knows how hard this is too.  Take some deep breaths okay~~

How are you feeling this morning?  Have you thought anymore about talking to your OB?  When do you see her next?  Do you know if this is a girl or boy?  I  seem to be full of questions today!!!
Melissa, i just contacted one of our girls from the pregnancy forum.  She is such a sweetheart and has a ton of knowledge about this.  She is also expecting another baby too.  
Hi Melissa (thanks Sara!)

First of all I really need to start by dispelling a myth. Narcotics can be taken safely during pregnancy, and the only danger they pose is withdrawal after delivery. However, you are not taking them safely BUT...you can fix this by telling your OB. Like some have mentioned, if you do not tell them, your baby WILL test positive at birth through meconium testing, and then you do risk the baby being taken away. Not only that, but baby may suffer withdrawals until they figure out what's going on and are able to begin treating him/her, and that is something you want to avoid!

So the best thing to do here is to talk to your OB. if you are honest, your OB will help you come up with a plan for the rest of your pregnancy and delivery...your OB will know what to look for after baby is born (i.e. breathing problems, or withdrawals) and they will be able to take care of baby appropriately. It is imperative that your doctor knows what you're taking. If your OB knows that you will test positive at birth, there will be no surprises, and while you may have to speak with a social worker, it is unlikely that in this scenario your baby would be taken from you.

I don't know the implications of all of this with your other children already in state custody, so I can't tell you exactly what will happen, but I DO know that you stand a much better chance of going home with a healthy, happy baby if you tell your OB everything, so he can help you. He wants your baby to be healthy, and he wants your baby to be happy (with mommy!) so he is going to do everything in his power to get BOTH of you there together, OK?

Again...narcotics can be safe during pregnancy when used properly under a doctor's supervision. I don't necessarily advocate it, but generations of women have been studied taking narcotics during pregnancy and they are not known to cause birth defects or delays, so let's make sure that the information we are sharing is accurate. They are NOT ideal to be taken during pregnancy, and if taken without doctor's orders or knowledge can be devastating for several reasons, but they CAN be used safely...just wanted to clear that up.

Anyway I think you need to take a really deep breath here, OK hon? Things will be just fine. Once your OB knows, he can help you and baby get everything straightened out so that your day of delivery is a time of joy and anticipation rather than dread and fear. But you must be honest, this isn't about avoiding trouble this is about getting baby the attention he/she will need after delivery.

sweetheart, don't let anyone cast stones...a pregnant woman is still human, and people sometimes expect addicts to become suddenly superhuman just because they're pregnant but life just isn't that perfect. I do not have any abuse issues, but I had kidney stones and a kidney surgery@ 34wks when I was pregnant with my daughter and was given pain meds while I was hospitalized, and she was delivered after I had tapered off of and quit the meds (voluntarily - my doctor told me I could stay on them while I recovered from the surgery but I opted not to) and she was perfectly healthy and happy and bright with no dependence issues. I also had to take pain meds when I was pregnant with my son because of neurological complications and a back injury, and I was NOT able to taper off near the end (following my Dr's advice there - he told me not to stop taking them) and he was born perfectly healthy and happy as well, with no dependence issues despite not being able to taper due to my complications.

Now some babies ARE born with dependence issues, and some are not, and there's no way to predict which your baby will be, so it's absolutely vital (I know I've already said this like 10 times, lol) that your OB knows what to expect so he can help the baby immediately if an issue does arise instead of playing a guessing game. As I have already said, women the world over have taken pain meds during pregnancy for GENERATIONS (it used to be straight morphine!) with no proven birth defects or developmental delays, but the best story always comes out of a mommy/OB team working together for the baby's health...so try to relax...just be honest..and see where the chips fall, OK?

best of luck, and when you feel up to it please come on over to the Medhelp Pregnancy 18-34 forum to share your pregnancy with us; I'm one of the Community Leaders over there and we have some really great support for pregnancy and delivery advice there!

-Ashe
I called an addiction clinic to help but now the hard part is to call my dr so my dr can can agree for them to give me subutex or not.Now calling my dr is hard what do i say and how do i say it i need some guidence here. please give me advice on what to say. I have to speak to a receptoinist first to let them know what i need this is embarressing and i know i should be embarressed. All i want is a healthy lil girl and get this out im crying right now for my baby and just to let everyone know i am a good mom im a mom to my 17yr old and never did nothing with him and he is a typical 17yr old boy. So its not that i dont take care of my responsibilitys I do and I will always no matter what.
Just call and tell them the truth.  Tell them you have been taking pain meds and you need some help getting off them.  Let your doctor know you are scared.  They will help you.  This is not uncommon Melissa.  We have alot of moms come thru this forum feeling the same way you do.  The important thing is you want help and are willing to take the help you get.  You are a good person and mom.  These pills are evil, none of us wanted to be in this situation but we are so now we deal with it head on.  Make that call, you really will feel better.  
Ok ladies im doing it right now.Im scared to death. Im so greatful for the help i need to calm down before i call im crying right now this is so hard for me to deal with.I really appriciate ur help and ill let u know what happens and such. now should  i just stop taking the pill i take everyday or wait?

Keep taking it, wait and see what they suggest! you can do this..,.you're strong, and your baby will be so thankful even if she never knows it!
Talk to your doctor and follow recommendations.
I was just reading you story and you can do this sweetie!! Call them. Im praying God will hold you and your baby really tight now! Im praying for you as I type this..
Well I called im still waiting for his call back and racking my brain.This is a walk in the park i figure compared to alot of things in life so im just sitting waiting for his call to talk to him. thank you all for so much support I really do appriciate it from the bottom of my heart. God Bless and i will let u know what DR says when he calls.
OK so i took a half of a 15mg not until 3:55 tho. Not proud of it.but if it keeps me from getting really sick I have to do it until the DR tells me what to do. Holding my Breath waiting.....
Good for you on making that call........Keep us posted okay?
OK all i talk to my DR and he is referring me to a clinic so i can get on subutex. I am shakeing so bad. I asked him about taking my baby away and he said he dont know. But he said his is the right step to get help and hat is in my favor he said. he wasnt upset with me and he wasnt surprised. Im so happy i got it out i kinda feel better but will feel 100% when i have my baby home and safe.... Thank so much all you guys are so great. God bless and good luck. I will keep u all posted on whats going on again thank you much......
yay girl I'm SO proud of you for taking this huge first step!!!! and of course there's no predicting the future but he's absolutely right, this is in your favor and you're on the right track.

Way to go, girl! you did it! now's the time to put your head down and push through the rest....when will you get put on the subutex?

you can do this...you've already done so much by taking the first steps to make the right choice for baby...be proud!!!
Way to go Melissa!!!!!
Well My doctor has to fax them a letter saying its ok if they put me on the subutex and I gave him the info to fax the dr that perscribes the subutex. Then when he does that i will go fill out the proper paper work and get the ball rolling. Im hopeing all this works out. Thanks so much again ladies....
Oh another thing should I keep takeing what i been until i go?
Did your doctor not tell you what to do with that? I would assume that you should keep taking it so you don't go into withdrawals - I don't know enough about subutex but it's my understanding that it's one that you can switch directly to from a narcotic, you don't have to withdraw first but I am NOT positive...if your doctor didn't tell you, maybe call the subutex doctor and ask him?

I think the goal here would be to avoid withdrawal, so it would be my best guess that they don't want you to stop...but I would definitely call one or the other in the morning and ask for sure, OK?

keep us posted!
You can't switch to Sub directly. There's a waiting period that needs to be determined by the Sub doctor.  Call your OB and ask his advice on this. Once you get to the clinic they'll explain everything to you. From here on, you need to be advised by a physician only. Good luck to you!
Dr said right away i need to work with a detox place. he didnt say anything about taking or not taking the pills. Subutex i know is different then suboxon they give it more to pregnant women. But i will get all the info from the clinic. Im on my way to recovery and pray to god for my baby to be happy and healthy and can come home from the hospital. Right now im on the right path all i worry about now is her comeing home with me.Please say prayers for me.
Lots of prayers your way, Sweetie. Don't worry now; you've done the absolute right thing!
xo
I hope ur right vicki. thank you for ur prayers
You've done the right thing. Confessing to a doctor is so hard - but don't you feel better? Ashe gave you great advice and she is so right. Babies are born all the time to moms who need to be on pain meds and they are fine. Like I said - I had multiple high risk OB's tell me the same thing. You will be in my prayers. Please keep us posted!
Thank you much User80. Now i need as much prayers as i can get to let them keep my baby. you all are special to me you all have a piece of my heart and would help you guys in anyway i could.....
So proud of you for calling today!  Try and get some well deserved rest tonight sweetie.  
I dont see why they would take your baby.  You are working towards taking care of your addiction.  You came forward and told your secret now.  That takes alot of strength and it shows you want the help.  I am so SOOOOO proud of what you did.  There is a huge change in you from yesterday.  Now you have hope.

Are you ready for the baby?  Room ready, clothes diapers etc??  
I am so ready for this baby more then anyone knows.... :) Have lots of diapers cloths room is ready but she will be in her bassinett in room with me for a lil bit. I cant wait to hold  her.I do feel uch better then yesterday and its because of all you ladies that helped me threw this. you have no clue how much you all helped me. I am so appriciative i cant thank you enough. Hugs to all... Im going to get some sleep now but will be on tomorrow xoxoxo to all nite.
Yeah you are all "babyfied" that makes me smile! Iknow one day I will be blessed with a baby,,in Gods time Im sure. I was just writing on my journal that I didnt hit a bottom or lose a lot to my addiction but I just realized a huge thing I did lose and that was time. Im older now and the chances for me to have a baby are harder and harder. But I also know for me and the situation i am in now isnt the time. The one thing I can do this time though is get my life and me back.
You my friend took a huge courageous step today. I admire you for that. Rest well and have some peace in your heart and know that you have a lot of others on here that are praying and care about you. Sending love and hugs~
Ok so its 4:41 I have gone allday with nothing but have not been well at all. I just took half of 15mg pill I couldnt go to the sub dr today there not open on fridays so i guess have to wait the weekend and hope for the best. I already thought of my plan to be one step ahead of DCF I am goin to join Early Intervention for the baby,go to NA meetings and drug  abuse counseling. Im ready to have a new life and start right. again thank you all
good girl! showing how much of an effort you're making is going to work in your favor..keep your head up and keep at the hard work.
You are doing the right thing. It is not easy, I know, and im happy for you making the right choices for your baby... And you! Follow through with your plan, and you are on the road to a better life!
Thank you both..... :) I printed out the NA meeting list so when they have them i will be going to all open meetings.  Monday I will make all my phone calls to early intervention for the baby and rehab therapy for me and start my NA meetings this weekend if i can find one open to public and if not i start everything monday. Thank you guys for all the support. I hope everyone else is doing well and hangin in there whatever they are going threw. xoxoxo lots of luv and prayers to all.....
Not sure if you know.... Open meetings allow nin addicts to attend to support the addict, closed meetings are only for addicts. It doesnt mran full or private. Didn't want you to think that, and maybe miss a good meeting. ;) I mentioned this bc you said you were going to all open meeting.
i'm so happy for you sounds like you are on your way , congrats on the baby its super exciting and i wish you all the best in the world :)
I plan to go to any meeting again the one i was talking about is for Beginners so maybe i may feel more comfortable for now in that. Its not easy for me to be around lots of people I have anxiety and this is a big step for me. No matter what tho i am going. :)

Jilannaa, Thank you alot for the congrats and the support I really do appriciate it alot....... Bless you.

Well look at you go Melissa!!  You have a great plan in place.  By the time this baby gets here you will be feeling so much better.  Recovery is hard work but it is so worth it.  The rewards will be endless~~~sara
I'm not a regular poster on here, but read your story and my heart went out to you.  I do work in Social Services and would like to perhaps offer some reassurance.  They do not look to taking the baby as a first step.  It is almost always the preference to keep baby with mom whenever possible.  So the fact that you have come clean about the situation, and are working so hard on it really is going to be viewed as a huge positive.  You should feel proud of the steps you are taking to protect and take care of your baby.  Yes, they may want to do home visits, etc. for a bit, but given the direction your moving in, I suspect things will be ok.  Congrats on both your pregnancy, and on working so hard towards getting off the pills.  I wish you absolute success!  I see this type of situation all the time at work, and usually there are other factors involved before they take the child.  It has to be a situation where mom cannot care for the baby.  Hopefully this helps put your mind at ease a little bit.  
Melissa, this is another one of our mom's that has a wealth of knowledge also.  We are so lucky to have these girls come over to this forum and help out.
I feel so good about this now. Im so happy that you adgal put my mind to ease. Im going to try my hardest but i cannot overwhelm myself either. One day at a time and steps to where im suppose to be. Sara I am so great for for you and for keep looking in on my progress. I cannot wait to have my baby. I cant wait to  hold her and kiss her.Also Adgal can we chat more about some stuff i need to ask about I have a few questions and would like it privately. Let me know how and when we could do this asap. Anyway today think im getting a cold or something sore throat,dizzy weak,tired I had my flu shot and everyone is telling me that maybe why im getting sick cus of the shot. I have no idea. I hope i dont get worse. I have things to do and need to get them done. Well God Bless all and have a great rest of day or evening whatever time it is where u are. God Bless
Absolutely.  I am in Canada, so there may be some minor differences, but as far as I can tell, the basic principals are the same.  I'd be happy to help if I can.  I'll send you a friendship invite, then all you have to do is click on my profile.  Look for send a message, and then you can message me privately.  If I don't have immediate answers, I can ask colleagues.  I don't work directly in Child Protective Services, but we work closely with them.  And 1 thing I can tell you for absolute certainty...goal 1 is for the child to be safe and cared for.  goal 2 is to keep families together and work with them to keep it that way whenever possible.  I really think this is going to be ok.  From what I am reading here, you are doing the right things.  People are realistic, and Rome was not built in a day.  It's all about the direction you are taking,and after assessing that the child is not in danger, that is what they look at.   I always tell the folks I work with  that it takes incredible courage and strength to admit that you have a problem (of any sort) and to begin taking steps to change things.  It's always easier to ignore and just keep doing what your doing.  So do feel proud.  And your child will be proud of you too.  I may not be an addict myself, but I am the child of an addict who has been in recovery a long time now.  I am very proud of him, so I can say that with confidence.
Melissa I just read your post an was wondering what ending up happening, also what part of mass do you live in?
This is a helpful thread. So thank you. I am 33 wks pregnant & have been taking pain meds since my 12th week due to 2 ruptured disk in my back. These meds are prescribed by my doctor & I am being monitored by him...I still worry about my baby. I never seen my self in this situation & frowned upon women who took meds during pregnancy until I became one...this has been a struggle & I dont want my son to be born addicted so I will taper down during the next 2 weeks until I am not taking them at all, even if that means I am bed ridden because of the pain. This has been the hardest thing I have ever mentally had to go thru. I feel horribly guilty. however, you post helped me feel a little better Ashelen.
Hey I am in you situ ion right now but I am down to a 4 mg of dilidid a day I am scars to that the will try to take my baby but I told my dr upfront as soon as I found out I was pragnant he then out me in morphine to taper down but like you I could not stop using the dilidid so she is now staying. She wants me in methadone but I said no cause I feel it will haut out more synthetic opiates in my system then the 4 a day is. Please tell me what happened with you so I know. I live in Canada not sure where you are or if the rules are the same but here in Nova Scotia they put you on methadone ASAP and keep ou on it for the entire pregnancy but that is not something I am willing Ti story to take and then be addicted to that. Anyone on here can help if you have any advice as I said my obgyn knows but I can't seem to get off those last 4 mg of dilidid:( I also feel bs have depression and several anxiety I just need some one to talk to
I'm not sure what your laws are but here in WA as long as the ob and your doctors know about your medication and it's a legit Rx then no one gets involved like cps. I just recently finished a very slow taper, about 2 months, from oxy and it was very hard, I basically felt like I was in mild withdraw for 2 months and my mind was going crazy feeling that way and sticking to a taper but it's now been 6 days since my last pill and this past week has been pretty easy. Yes I've had body aches, trouble sleeping and RLS but I'm also 32 weeks pregnant so isn't that normal anyway! My advice is to be very honest with your doctor about your exact use and why your having problems stopping. Since you're pregnant there are more risks with trying to manage this by yourself and you can't do most of the home remedies so it's best to have a doctor to help. My ob was okay but my pain management doctor really helped me with a plan that I was happy with but I had to be honest and my ob tried to be supportive, I think just not a lot of experience with addiction, but again it was just nice to have them on my team. Doctors want you to deliver healthy happy babies not babies addicted to narcotics, sometimes there is no other option but you are strong enough to give up those 4 pills, you just need your team behind you to help you! Good luck!