Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
35 Weeks Pregnant and addicted to oxycodone.

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

So, here we go. First off, nothing ive taken has ever been prescribed to me. During my first trimester of pregnancy, i didnt take any oxycodone. My fiance and i had actually been doing really well with not taking any oxy and had only been taking suboxone/subutex. (we had a problem with taking oxy before) but during my second trimester, i relapsed. it was supposed to be just one time. just that one night. but sure enough, it was more and more and more. it started with us only getting 1 30mg each. but of course it elevated from there. but long story short, i got to the point that i was taking around 3 pills a day, more or less, every single day. so here i am, like 5 months later, trying to detox before my baby is born. im using suboxone, in low doses. but i just completely quit using oxycodone and switched to suboxone one day. but what im asking is, is it dangerous to just quit oxy cold turkey and use subs instead? or should i try to ween down on oxy while taking subs on other days? what should i do!? PLEASE HELP.
Please talk to your doctor about this.
i wouldnt have posted on here if i wanted to hear that... i want someones personal experience or something like that. because i know i can detox on my own, id just like someone to give me a guideline of what they did. i want help from peers, not professionals. because professionals cause problems that can potentially not be fixed..
Hey. Your hormones will help u. I know from experience. If you stop you won't feel ne thing but the normal pregnancy aches which is a lot. Everyone is diff and so is every pregnancy but something w your hormones help you big time w this. You really need to stop but if you doing 3 30s a day then well is say
I don't know the answer to the suboxone question and I am really hoping someone comes soon to answer your question.  What I do know is it is not safe for your baby to abruptly stop anything while pregnant.  Your baby is addicted as well as you and will suffer withdrawals.  You need to taper and really the best way is to come clean with your doctor.  Doctors deal with this all the time.  We have had many addicted pregnant moms post on this forum so don't feel like anyone is judging you.  We want what is best for you and your baby.
That's right. You need to taper off the Oxy. Do you know the effects of Sub on a growing fetus?

We can't give any taper guidance here. It's not allowed by policy. That's why it was suggested you speak with your doctor. They WILL drug test you when you're admitted to the hospital and it's best if the doctor knows what's gone on.  Cold turkey is very dangerous and it's NEVER recommended.
Hon, what you feel during taper/detox..the fetus will feel it as well.  The best and safest thing is to be honest with your doctor.  They will help you do what is best for your and your baby.  If you are drug tested and your doctor does not know..it could go very very bad for you and the baby.  Best to be upfront so the doctor can help you be safe.  This may not be what you want to hear, but it is what it is.
it did happen to me however i did not have the willpower to detox myself. i tried every single day and i was powerless. my son was born and did experience withdrawal. he was hospitalized for 1 and a half months. it was a nightmare and dcf got involved. oxys are safer to take than suboxone during pregnancy. you definately have to stop the suboxone like now because it could cause a lot of harm. my son was born full term actualy a week late and was over 8 lbs. and i was taking 300mgs a day. i told my obgyn that i was addicted about 2 weeks before my due date and she was very helpful and understanding. my opinion is that you should tell your doc and get on a methadone program because detoxing while pregnant is also very harmful once you are past your 1st or especially second trimerster. dcf may still get involved but at least you are doing the right thing for your baby and since i have had my son i have been clean and go to aa and na meetings and i have heard of many women that did get on the methadone while pregnant and they did not have their child taken away for the simple reason that it is the right thing to do in our situation. my son is now 18 months happy and healthy and luckily i never lost custody and i think it is because even though i hid it through most of my pregnancy i finally did fess up and after he was born i went straight into a detox since he was in the hospital for a while anyway. i wish you luck and hope everything goes well for you. as addicts we lie and lie and dont want to get caught but you have to do what is right for you and your baby and as hard as it is and believe me i know you need to do that. if your obgyn makes you feel like a scumbag for what you are going through switch docs because most do not want to discourage women from telling them so they are generally very understanding.