Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
35 wks pregnant and addicted to hydrocodone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I'm 17 and 3d wks pregnant with my 1st baby. I have been addicted to Lortab (hydrocodone) for about 18 months. I tried to stop when I found out I was pregnant but I had no support considering my mother and babys father are also addicted to painkillers. I was cutting down until I had oral surgery in late July to have my wisdom teeth extracted and they prescribed me 30 7.5 mg Lortabs then I got dry socket so they prescribed me 20 more 7.5s. Is it to late to taper off of the painkillers so my daughter wont have to go threw the pain of withdrawal after she is born? What are the effects these pills have on her and also will the hospital drug test me or her when she is born or do they only do that if she shows signs of withdrawal? Will CPS get involved if she does have the drug in her system even though my OB knew that I was prescribed these pills numerous times during my pregnancy? He has no idea about my addiction but he knows I have taken these throughout my pregnancy. Would I be able to tell them that I didnt take all of the pain pills when I had my surgery and I started hurting really bad from my migraines (he knowsI have bed migraines) and I started taking them becuase tylenol wasnt working, after all they are prescribed. I live in Oklahoma if that makes a difference into whether CPS will get involved or not. If I stop the pills now will they still be in her system at birth?
I am sure someone will come along that can answer your questions. I have not idea what will happen during the rest of your pregnancy to your baby or if there will or will not be withdraw. If it were me I would be coming clean with my OB doctor so they can do some test and be prepared to test you baby at the time of birth. He would be the best to answer your questions. I would not hesitate for the health of your baby is at stake. Stop now if you want you baby to be healthy and normal. I know you are young but you should have known better then to subject your baby to this. If you are worried now you definitely knew when you were popping the pills. Please take the responsibility of taking control of your childs health before it is born. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope your baby will not suffer for your  mistakes. I have a 15 yr old granddaughter who could end up pregnant and I would tell her the same thing I am telling you and pull no slack for her.
Please DONT just stop taking the pills.  That can cause premature labor.  You need to be very honest with your OB and tell him everything.  This is more common than you think with addiction.  Dont be ashamed, just be honest~~~~~~sara
I am not saying to go turkey. I am only saying to go be up front and honest with your OB. I did mean to insinuate that you should just stop without talking to OB doctor first. I am not saying to be ashamed to have and addiction problem. Just be a responsible enough person to do what you need to do for your baby. talk to doctor please.
sorry Janet I hate to refute what you wrote but you told her to stop taking them now.. not only does that put her baby at risk but it also puts the mother at risk for seizures.. before dispensing advice I would research what you are talking about.. as far as addiction and her knowing better I do not think you have room to talk.. we are all addicts. as for your above post You should have known better.. does not feel to hot does it.. listen to sara megbear and be honest with your Dr. He knows your history better then any of us on the forum.. be honest ok You will find support and a plan I wish the very best for you and your baby.. lesa
I did tell her I would be coming clean with my OB doctor and that he would be best to answer her questions and I would not hesitate for the sake of her baby. Does that sound like I was trying to hurt her. You can accuse me of saying stop now, but these words above went along with that. I would of told my granddaughter the same thing. Where did I say not to talk with OB doctor and I said nothing about being ashamed to have an addiction problem. I just thought I would clarify the facts that Sara said, because I realized that I did not mention addiction.  
Stop now if you want you baby to be healthy and normal.
I know you are young but you should have known better
need I say more ??
Ok I am not arguing with you and I don't want enemies. I would stop for my baby to be healthy. I was pregnant at 16 and I did not use a tylenol while I was pregnant. Life is not worth arguing it is too short. I don't need any other troubles in my life. You have a good evening.
I forgot to say this..........I am tired of running out of my meds early.  Is there such a thing as being able to take them as directed, especially when you know they help?  
The amount of pills u stated above will be long gone by the time ur baby is here?
Do u get them elsewhere?
If u r planning to stretch out the pills u stated for 9 months..i would have no fear of being busted for having an addicted baby

If u take more//buy them and plan to seek them throughout ur pregnancy..then that is a different story.  I am a nurse and if ur baby is born with signs of narc wd..they will look into it for sure..perhaps the RX u have legally will be enuf if it is written for a bunch per day...30-60 a mth is not gonna explain ur baby writhing and suffering in the neonatal ward

It may be time to make a decision..u sound as if u use intermittantly..not an everyday user???  I could have perceived this post wrong but if u intermittantly use reasonable doses thru ur pregnancy under a drs care
u should be fine..and ur baby as well

If this is not the case, u may need to get things under control as many would feel awful inflicting an involuntary addiction upon an unborn human being..getting caught would not be the soul or most important issue if this is the case for most moms...it is the damage one inflicts upon their baby..
Addiction has a way of twisting our priorities tho...and is what makes this disease so dangerous
It is not too late at seventeen weeks to taper down to a safer dose for the baby. I had to come clean with my doctor and she really helped me- I was taking up to 10 7.5 vicodin a day up to 23 weeks...she got me down to two pills per day by the time I delivered. My baby girl didn't suffer any withdrawals.....you are only at 17 weeks, you have time to get down to zero pills before delivery. Talk to your doctor, I know it is scary, I remember. Call on Monday!
Oh my..I read wrong. You are 35 weeks! How many are you taking in a day? I'm so sorry I misread.
I take about 4-5 7.5mgs a day and I do buy them off the street as well as my mom and boyfriend.
Check your inbox, I found some information that may be useful.
Hi Hon~~    Just want to be very clear for you...

DO NOT STOP THE PILLS    DO NOT TAPER THE PILLS

CALL YOUR OB IN THE MORNING AND BE COMPLETELY HONEST ABOUT EVERYTHING.  THE DOCTOR CAN AND WILL HELP YOU      BUT FOR YOUR SAFETY AND FOR THE BABY, YOU NEED TO TELL THE DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY.
What will my OB do? Will he call CPS? I just dont want them to take my daughter away! Can I just tell him when I had my surgery I didnt take all the pills they gave me and I still had quite a bit left and I started hurting so I started taking them again?
megbear, just be honest with your OB and it will be okay.  If they find out otherwise then CPS will be called.  That is why we are telling you to be honest with him as then there wont be any surprises when you give birth.  It will be okay, just do this for the baby and yourself.....sara
Even if I did tell him what would be the difference in him finding out now then after I deliver. I mean I still used the pills while I was pregnant regardless if I told him or not its still against the law. If I tell him whats going on then he will most likely still call CPS
ok, this is from experiance, my experiance. i was on heroin. i was on cocain . i was on pills. i was smokin crack. then i bacame pregnant. i was told by my doc not to come off the opiates because the baby can die before  hes even born... and hed have problems if he was born.
yes, i came off the cocain and crack.... and the heroin and the pills.
i was put on methadone. methadone is used to treat opioid dependency as a detox or a maintenance drug. i was on so much heroin and pills prior to, that my dose that was needed for me to maintain(stay sober with no cravings or withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms), was super high. and i too was super high. i was nodding out and everything. not cool when youre pregnant. but all they were concerned about was that it was a prescribed medicine...not off the street(so they knew it was safe, unlike street drugs that can be tampered with or mixed with harmful chemicals or ingrediants).
i had my baby boy through c section. he was born healthy but he did show signs of methadone withdrawl (withdrawal) like 3 days later.he was in the nicu for almost a month. they also had to test his poop to make sure he didnt have any other drugs in his system. i live in pennsylvania.children and youth are required to get involved if you are on a maintenance drug such as methadone when you are pregnant. thsy dont have a case....but they do a "watch" for 3 months...basically to see if you are fit to be a mother  =   not using(esp around the baby), shelter, food, crib, clothing...etc.
i relapsed. i gave my son to my parents for temporary til i got my **** together. i got prego again. i got on methadone again. i got into a severe car accident. totaled my ford explorer, flipped over an embankment, got ejected from the vehicle and landed on my stomach on a rock....pregnant. i was taken to 2 hospitals and finally a third because my injuries were severe and i was only about 4.5 months along. i had head injury, 3 broken ribs, a broken foot, i had a collapsed lung, and then a clogged artery. then, my placenta ruptured. i had to have my baby early by c section. he was so tiny.it hurts.he was born blind. he has heart and lung problems...so he has a heart monitor and a breathing machine. i tried to be out there with him as much as possible.he was in a childrens hospital a few hours away from where i lived.he was in  for a few months because he was born prematurely. back then, in that time of my life. i thought the best thing for him...was not me. i was afraid of relapsing again. he needed so much medical attention, that i couldnt afford. i found him good parents that wanted him and they wer able to give him a better life. i hate myself now. i want to see him. it hurts. not a day goes by that i dont think of him.
f ck methadone. it got me high. i was nodding from it. i got in a car accident on it. and look at what happened. i relapsed twice afterwards.
i went on suboxone. i got pregnant. stayed on suboxone while pregnant. i had my baby boy and he was healthy. he had very little withdrawl (withdrawal). nothing big.he only stayed in the nicu for 1 week compared to my other childs 4 weeks. once again, children and youth had to get involved to do their monitoring on me.and yes, i passed with flying colors. they actually recommended for me to stay on the suboxone.i am doing very well with the suboxone maintanence. i am still on suboxone now. i dont nod. i dont have cravings. i have no withdrawls. i did not relapse. its been two years and i havent touched anything but the suboxone that i am prescribed.
i would never recommend methadone to anyone because of my experiance with it.i hightly recommend suboxone/subutex though..but to each their own i guess.
but listen dont worry about getting in trouble. as long as you do this out of care and concern for the baby BEFORE  you have him they cant reprimend you for it(you wont go to jail or get a charge or have your baby taken). so what if they have to come by your home  every few weeks or whatever. your babys safety is worth it.  if you wait til after you have the baby and then your baby is having withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms and tests possitive for pills or whatever.... then i dont want to be you. its too late to save your baby and yourself. that shows you were using and didnt care about the babys safety/health(well being).
trust me, talk to the doc.call a suboxone doctor... actually some pre=baby docs can prescribe it to you if they are licensed to. and its free when you are prego.well, thats all i got for now. im tired. g'night
Lets say you do not tell your OB and continue on with your pregnancy. Lets say you continue to taper down on your own but just can't seem to get past those last few pills a day or you go into labor before you are done with your own taper. You go to the hospital, have your baby, and they notice the baby is crying more than normal. If they see anything out of the ordinary they will drug test. I have also heard they drug test nowadays regardless. You will then look like an addict mother that only cared about the high and could care less about the gift you were given. If you couldn't care for yourself when your baby was inside of you how could you care for you and a baby at the same time? CPS will be called. (This is just a general scenario. I know you care about your baby more than the high and want nothing but the best. I was just trying to show how they might look at it. If you didn't care you wouldn't be here asking for advice).
Now lets say you go to your OB tomorrow and fess up to having a problem. You aren't the first one that has done this before. I think you'd be surprised at the numbers. Doing this will give the doctor a chance to take extra precautions. It will give him/her a chance to help you taper off in a way that will not harm you or your baby. They will have no reason to call CPS because you are looking out for the health of your unborn child. So, instead of looking like an addict that has an addiction and cares about nothing except getting high you now look like the caring compassionate mother that you are. It shows you will go above and beyond to take care of your child without regards to how you are looked at. It will show that you are a great mother and person that not only wants to better your child's life but also your own. CPS does not want to rip apart a family but they will if they feel the mother or father is unfit to be a parent. An addict is not unfit to care for a child. An addict that is in active abuse may be especially if they don't take the child's best interest to heart. CPS will not take your baby away for being an addict that is taking the proper steps to get help. Talking to your doctor will just prove that you are a responsible mother.
There have been numerous people that have been pregnant that have came on here asking for the same advice. The same advice is always given. They usually come back saying that they were so glad that talked to their OB. The stress lifted and they were properly tapered off the medication and were able to be monitored and have the fetus monitored at the same time. You have to be a little more cautious when tapering while pregnant so this is another reason to get your OB on board. Talk to them. Everything will be okay.
i didnt read al the post so sorry if i repeat something but i too was on lortab 7.5 while i was pregnant and yes my dr knew it because that is when i started my 2 1/2yr binge when i was pregnant and prescripted painkillers i dont even remember why,but here is the thing about any kind of opiate while you are pregnant it is proven that opiates dont really make it too much into the babies bloodstream unless you are shooting them up,and even a dr will tell you NOT to just quit taking the pills,even if you were in rehab/jail anything they would have you taking methadone because your wds could actually kill your baby,i was scared about the same thing about cps being called if they did a drug test and because you are a minor (under 18) they might test your placenta so when you're in there before you deliver you'll have all that paperwork to fill out just make sure you TELL THEM you were taking lortabs they will ask you why? when? all that if you have a prescription there is nothing they can do,but i HIGHLY suggest trying to get some help BEFORE your daughter is born,while i was pregnant my body could only handle ONE 7.5 a day thats a half in the morning and half at night,but as soon as i gave birth well actually i was fine until i got home for some reason i did NOT detox even though before i gave birth i did,(maybe you wil have the same luck and choose to be smarter than i was) so anyways yea then when i got home from the hospital 3days later (still not wd) i decided to take some lortabs/vicodins only i didnt feel the 1/2 anymore so i took a whole ,still not enough and so on and so on,and before i knew it im sitting here today recoveing from i think every opiate there is i've done AFTER my daughter was born,luckily for me her father has been here and she is still young so i have time to fix it but even something awlful i hate admitting but the lortabs made me numb of course i love my daughter BUT it was different when i was on pills it wasnt the same and since i quit taking the pills i am so much closer to her its like i did NOT have mothering bond with her because of the opiates,and now we couldnt be closer,so my advice is at least now if all you can do is go to meetings and counseling,DO IT even if you're still on the pills maybe it will help you jump start your recovery so that way after your baby is here you can get better FOR YOU,then she can have a great life,this story touched me so much because i remember being there and being a young pregnant mom to be,on drugs and trust me you dont want to be a mother and a drug addict its not something easily balanced,i promise you its so much better clean but you being pregnant i know that you can NOT just quit,tell your dr if your embarressed tell her that you just finished up ur prescroption and now you feel sick and you looked it up online and its saying you are having wds,she or he will be able to help you that way maybe you can get clean before you become a mom.........i really with all my heart wish you the best of luck and am so sorry you are going through this,stay strong we all believe in you,even when you dont believe in yourself the people on here believe in you,you can do this (when its safe for your baby) but other than that your baby should NOT experience any wds because like i said i guess that opiates dont get into their bloodstream UNLESS you shoot up,so your baby should be happy and healthy will probably have a lower birth weight nothing serious not like too low or anything,but anyways was on my way to bed when i seen this and had to reach out,good luck sweetheart!!
by the way... to answer your question
"Even if I did tell him what would be the difference in him finding out now then after I deliver. I mean I still used the pills while I was pregnant regardless if I told him or not its still against the law. If I tell him whats going on then he will most likely still call CPS "
finding out now, your doc can help you and your baby. dont try to figure this out on your own, many women have been through this...you are not alone.you will not get into trouble if you ask for help. by asking for help, you are being responsible and taking action to ensure your babys wellbeing. if you are scared or worrying that he will take you off the pills...im sure he wont. he will most likely monitor you and the baby(keep an eye out to make sure you aren't on too low of  a dose that you go through withdrawl (withdrawal)...or too high of a dose...).he may try to taper you down slowly so it is safe for the baby.he may take you off them and get you into the methadone clinic or put you on a suboxone program.he will take care of both of you. this is actually the best time to come clean about needing help. its hard to get off opiates...or anything your addicted to. but when you know that there is a little baby counting on you to survive... it can change your life. your baby cant have a good life unless you are willing to fix your own. it starts with you. and it can start now. youd be amazed at how many people are willing to help a pregnant women especially one that is strong enough to ask for help. dont get me wrong, some people just wont understand how you could have been on a substance while pregnant. alot of people will never understand addiction. even more dont understand recovery.. let them pass. you can get so much help when your baby is born also. please just be willing and open minded to accept it. where i live, cys (not cps here), is called if you are prescribed methadone or suboxone. as long as you are getting help and told your doctor its not an open case... but it is a case review to see if you are fit to be a mother to your child. its usually three months. they get info on your past and present... and want to see that you have the necessities to care for your child(shelter, food, clothing, crib, diapers,etc).they make sure you have a recovery plan for your addiction, or relapse prevention plan, or they can help you find and get treatment. i know they are kinda scary and powerful because they are able to take your baby away...and drug test you  and whatever... but they actually try to keep families together. not take em apart. they can and will help you if you let them.
like i said in my other post to you... if you dont say anything, and your baby has withdrawl (withdrawal) or they just happen to drug test the baby and it comes back positive...then you will have an open case with cps. they can have your baby taken away from you. you can get a charge. and trust me, you wont like seeing your baby suffer, when this can all be prevented. you will not feel good about yourself. not to mention... what if you run out of pills ...if you go through withdrawls while pregnant you can lose your baby.
always keep in mind that your baby is a part of you. what you eat, what you drink, what you smoke, everything you do...you are doing with your baby. even your emotions, how you feel,...the sounds around you...your voice...your baby is intune to you.
I might get slammed for this, but some of the answers we are giving her are probably scaring her to death and stressing her out even more. She is 17, pregnant and surrounded by addicts at home. There has to be some better advice we could give her. Couldn't she just tell her doctor she had some of the pills left over from her prescription and has been taking them lately. I don't know. This is such a delicate situation. I want to help you. Is the doctor you are seeing a very caring and supportive doctor?
There are two real advantages to telling your doctor about the pills now versus having him find out after the baby is delivered.  The first one is that he will help you do what is safest and healthiest for your baby.  Doing what is right for your child is obviously the right thing to do.  The addiction makes us think of any reason that will make it ok for us to continue using.  The idea that you may as well keep using since you've used so far and he'll find out anyhow is just the pills talking.

Another reason for coming clean now is that it will be you stepping forward on your own rather than the doctors finding out.  It's always better in terms of consequences if you come forward yourself.  Your doctor will be much less inclined to call CPS if you come forward now and ask for help than he would be if he finds out on his own without you telling him.

Please please talk to your doctor.  You'll feel a lot better afterwards.  

I'm sorry you're going through this with so little support.  It must be very hard.  Keep coming here and posting and please try to find an NA or AA meeting or somewhere similar you can go and talk to other folks who've gone through this.
Meg~   Tell your doctor today. Just call them.  They won't call the police or CPS. They'll know exactly what to do. They've seen this type of thing more times than you realize.

Be honest. Tell him about the dentist and the dental problems; about the addiction all around you...Be sure he knows how much you take per day. He'll take care of you...
Believe me HE wants you and the baby healthy also!!

Just know,when you do go into labor and enter the hospital,the staff will draw your blood and test for substances. It's standard practice for every Mom.  It's better for you if the doctor knows beforehand. It's the best thing you can do.

Call now and let us know...

Vicki
I just cant bring myself to tell him. I suggested to my mom about telling him and she freaked out on me and even went in with me today. She keeps telling me all the WORST things that can happen and she even said they could put me in rehab or a mental institute since im bi-polar and since I recieve SSI she said the state has the power to do that. She is telling me I should just quit cold turkey and if I go into a seizure at least ill be clean when she takes me to the hospital and since im this far along they would be able to deliver the baby safely. IDK what to do. Everyone is telling me something different and my mom says if I tell my OB and I have to have home visits then she will get my little brother taken away and all this other stuff. And my babys father is also unsupportive of me telling my OB. Its like if I tell him it will be better for me legally and better for the baby but on the other hand my mom will kick me out cuz she dont want CPS doin home visits.
Does anyone know any laws of the hospital not being able to drug test me or the baby without consent since im a minor. I know this girl who was pregnant and lives in the same town as me and she drank and smoked weed and god only knows what else while she was pregnant and she smoked weed a week before she had her baby and nothing happened to her. That was last year and when he was 2 months old she was shooting up in front of him, there was rat poop in his crib and a whole bunch of other horrible things was going on and CPS got involved and nothing happened. Then finally the house she was staying at a couple months later got busted for meth and marijuana and they finally took him away from her and she is just barely getting him back. But since she was a minor the 1st time CPS got involved they didnt do much of anything.
Mega,
First tell your doctor asap and yes it makes a big difference if you come clean with your doctor .Here is the thing if you tell the doctor most likely they will help you with your addiction and get you into a recovery program  dss and  the doctors do not want to take babys from there moms they just want you to get healthy because its going to get alot harder when you have a baby keeping you up all night  and as you have said both your boyfriend and mom are also addicted are they planning on getting clean too ?
So if your mom is not wanting you to tell your doctor that is probably coming from her own addiction.Right now you need to do what best for you baby and that telling the doctor at 35 weeks if your baby is going to be addicted its going to be addicted .some hospital's check all mom and newborns and others only if the baby show signs of wd but they dont have to have your consent to drug test either of you . Talk to your doctor it will be a big relief for you...good luck.
If your mother is not being supportive-then go somewhere private and call your doctor.
Your mom's logic of thinking is completely off. She said if you have a seizure from going cold turkey she will take you to the hospital and you are far enough along to take the baby. By the time you get to the hospital it may very well be too late. Seizures are not the only risk. Often going cold turkey your heart rate and blood pressure is through the roof. But hey, you haven't had a seizure so the baby must be fine. I've been through cold turkey withdrawals quite a few times and a few of those times my blood pressure was very low. If yours drops low so does your baby's. That could cause lack of oxygen. There are so many things that could effect your baby even if you are feeling okay. There is a reason so many people here are telling you to talk to your doctor. The only reason isn't to save you from child protective services but to also save your baby's life and quite possibly yours. If are gonna do the right thing by talking to your doctor at least TAPER. DO NOT COLD TURKEY! If this wasn't a serious concern do you think so many people would be here posting trying to help you? Even someone that has been through it posted telling you to talk to your doctor or you more than likely will have your baby taken away.
Do you have anywhere else you can go for support such as an aunt, uncle or cousin? You really need some support from someone that is not only looking out for themself. Your mom isn't thinking logically due to abusing drugs. Please do the right thing and give yourself and your baby a chance. Please make the choice that you know is right.
Meg~~   You're really in a predicament here. Your mother is an addict so her advice is self serving.  No matter what you do or don't do...the truth is going to come out at the hospital.  The person who will really suffer is the baby.  That's why we all want you to tell the doctor. He can head some of that off right away...

By you doing nothing,everyone's at risk. Your mother isn't seeing that. The baby may easily go into withdrawal once born,CPS will be notified,they WILL go to your house,you could lose your baby,YOU could be placed somewhere because you are under 18,your little brother could be taken away,and you mother could be arrested.

All of this is very scary,I know.  You are a Mom now. Start this off on the right foot. Reach out for some help from the doctor...no one in your life seems to have your and the baby's best interest in mind.

Make that call,Honey...Be honest. They'll help you.
Please do what is right for this baby.  The doctors and nurses NEED to know what is going on to help the baby just in case she has wd's.          sara
Your mom is already at risk of losing your little brother. You are a minor and your are living in her home. If they investigate you than they will probably investigate her also because you are her child. They would be doing home visit more than likely on her the same as you. Jumbled word, but I think you can figure out what I said.

I also beg you to go to your doctor and fess up. You choose to continue this pregnancy and it is your responsibility to care for her. Your innocent and beautiful little girl deserves this. She was not giving a choice.

It was just recently I had to go to my doctor of 10 yrs and fess up to being an addict. She actually praised me for being brave enough to tell her. Some doctors have an endless stream of compassion. I know some don't but they are probably few. They choose to save peoples lives. They want to help their patients and teach them ways to live healthier lifestyles. I don't think a doctor would even turn you into cps if you are honest with him. But if they find out on there own I think you will pay dearly for not taking the babies health and well being serious by keeping quite. Then again why hide when they can be prepared to help your baby at the time of delivery. Not only could there be complications for you during delivery there could also be complications with the baby. Do you want to take that risk that with little girl that is growing inside and making you very uncomfortable right now? There are so many question if maybe's could happen.

Your mother should support you and give you all the best advice possible, because you our her daughter. Would you make the same choice if it was your daughter going through this or would you care more about her life than yours? Everyone here wants to help you. But you have to take the first step.

What are your plans after the baby is born? Are you going to try to get clean and stay clean? Are you planning on raising your baby in a home filled with drug use as your were raised? These are all things that you should think about. There are a lot of choices out there for you if you choose to get help. Probably a way to get you out on your own get you out of a house the still has drug use. Here where I live they have a place where mother and children can go if they are in abusive relationships or unsafe conditions for the children.

You are 3 weeks away from being full term and their is a chance you could go any day now. You don't have long to figure things out. Also this far along I am not sure how far you can get with tapering before she comes. I do not know how long it takes and I just went cold turkey, but I am not pregnant. I know that I feel so sorry for that baby if she has WD. WD's are Hell on earth!  

May God Bless you and your child.

Anyone know if a newborns suffer the same way we do?

Well ultimately it is up to you if you want to tell your doctor. We are all begging you to. We know what honesty is about, it takes a lot of that to get and stay clean. Also why would you want to take a chance of seizure? I think you can die from gran mal seizures, no positive. Give your child a chance please.

Like Janet mentioned, you are 3 weeks away from full term and you could go into labor any day now. You really don't have time. I think just about the only way to keep CPS from getting involved is to talk to your doctor about it. Your mom says go cold turkey which you know you can't because you would have a high chance of miscarriage. But even if you do there will be some lingering symptoms probably even within 3 weeks. It won't go unnoticed and then CPS will be involved.
I know this is a very scary situation for you but it doesn't has to be. Talk to your doctor and she/he will help you and the stress will be lifted. Their main job is to make sure you and your baby are healthy and that's exactly what they will do. But they can't help you if they don't know what they are dealing with.
There are many posts on here about people being pregnant and addicted. The same advice is always given. They are always scared out of their mind as I'm sure you are. Once they told their doctor they came back and posted on how they wish they would have done this sooner because their doctor got a plan in place and helped them through. Doctors are not part of CPS. Like I said before, their concern is about you and your baby's health. Let them help you.
I totally agree with Vicki.......Please think of the baby at least for another month untill you give birth and DO NOT stop cold turkey!.....Be honest and if they call CPS and you have your baby taken away then maybe that's what needs to happen after all from what your saying the baby is going to go home and be raised around a bunch of addicts.

Worse case senario you have to do jail time ....I would do it if it meant I could possible save the life of my baby, trust me as a mother once you see that baby you will do anything to protect him/her, Let the professionals help they care and that's what their there for. If this inconviences your mom then so be it, it's time to grow up and make the hard decisions now. Trust me I doubt they will call CPS but please don't let that fear keep you from seeking medical health for the baby it's not fair.

Keep in mind that you always have the option to put the baby up for adoption if your not ready to be a mother , I know there are alot of good people out there that can't have kids that would love to adopt. Sounds like this would be a good option for you. Bless
I am 11 weeks pregnant.  My pregnancy was totally unexpected as I still had the Mirena IUD still in place. I was abusing both oxycodone and hydrocodone before I found out I was pregnant. When I found out I was pregnant I was 6 weeks along. I made an appt ASAP and was honest with my Dr.  He was very non judgemental and very helpful. He pointed me in the right direction and I found the help and support I need through other recovering addicts and a very good therapist. I tapered off over the course of 3 weeks and as hard as it was  I feel so much better though I still have rough days. That's to be expected. When you come off these powerful pain medicines your body tells your brain that your in pain and you need the medicine but often times the pain is not real.   It's not easy. I'm not a saint. Sometimes I would try to rationalize just taking a little. Telling myself that just a couple wouldn't harm the baby but that's where having a support system that I could be honest with came in. They help me take responsibility be accountable and think realistically. Your addiction can take over and tell you lies. You are reaching out now so that tells me you have recognized there is a problem. That's the first step. And as hard as it will be. Don't stop. Take the next step. Talk to your doctor. Don't live the rest of your pregnancy or your life feeling guilty. You know the right thing. That's the easy part. Now get started on doing the right thing. I'm sorry for writing so much. I wish the very best for you and your baby. I hope my experience helps   you are not alone
Hey everyone im 7 weeks pregnant and my dr has me on 10/325 hydrocodone i get 120 a month i have tryed my best to take them like im perscribed; but i have a bit of a prob. I have been taking them for over 2 yrs. my dr said that my babys arm or leg might not be there an that its heart or brain might not work. I have my ob app in 2 days im going to be very truthfull with him. I have 2 very helthy children but did nothing when pregnant i smoked cigaretts whit my 2 off an on.  Im soo upset cause i cant stop taking the hydrocodne i have to be on them because i have alot of damaged nerves an have to get nerve blocks as well. Although i take them for pain i also take them for the filling. I know thats wrong but its the truth an i know if i stop i can loose the baby from wd. my question is will this cause birth defects an how should i stop??I have tryed to tapper it doesnt work for me an i have asked my dr to put me on somthing else she wont do it. pleas anyone help!!!
Allison,

would recommend starting your own thread to post your questions and concerns regarding klonopin.  It may get overlooked otherwise.  Just go to the top of your screen and hit post a question, and then you can copy and paste what you just wrote on this thread.  
I HAVE BEEN THREW THE SAME THING!!! so PLEASE listen to me as i have experienced it!! First of all, when you stop taking pills do you go threw physical withdrawal yourself? If the answer is no then stop immediately and your baby with likely be fine. YES THEY DO DRUG TEST EVERY MOTHER WHEN SHE IS ADMITTED TO THE HOSPITAL BEFORE GIVING BIRTH! and YES IF YOU HAVE DRUGS IN YOUR SYSTEM OR YOUR BABY GOES THREW WITHDRAWALS THEY WILL GET CPS INVOLVED IMMEDIATELY AND TAKE YOUR BABY! you will nit even be able to take him/her home with you. I did percocets threw most of my pregnancy BUT i never to this day no matter how much i was taking had gone threw serious physical withdrawals so i think i really lucked out. Even still i made sure i stopped 3 weeks before my due date so there was no chance of any of that becsuse my daughter is my world and the only thing i live for so please stop now before you regret it for the rest of your life
hunny you need to slow down so you can kick it my aunt just had a baby 4 months ago and she has a pills problem the baby came out with downsindrom fliud in the neck his fingers are all suck together its sad so ask your dr for help I dont know how to stop my self thats why I am on here asking for help as well
I'm sorry to say but yes most likely cps will get involved. And tapering on your own is way to risky. You need to tell your dr. And get the help you need for your daughter. It's the only way. I used for a week and a half at 33 weeks and had to come clean to my dr. Luckily I hadn't used long enough to harm her so I was able to quit cold turkey. My dr worked with me and cps was not involved and she didn't with drawl. If u need support or anything please contact me. But the only was safely out of this is to come clean to your ob. Please don't do it another way. Your risking the health of your unborn baby and risking getting cps involved.
Wow just saw how old themis post was. Sorry I hope all turned out well
Allison I sent u a private message about my experience
To me it seems like you are only worried about the child being taken away. When you should really be worried about its health first and foremost. If you talk to your ob they will more then like put you on a managed regiment of something to help taper you off and keep your unborn safe. Lying to your doctor makes having a doctor rather pointless. So if you want to prove to CPS that you care about your child come clean to your doctor and get the help you need. Good luck to your child.
Wow,I'm looking for the same answer ...been addicted since 95 and every year they go up in dosage,but I thought me taking 1 and a half 7.5 was bad for my baby girl,although the doc keeps reassuring me the baby will be fine! He says he knew of women that took 5-6 a day n no withdrawal or problems,but u answered my question...Thanks!
Your post contradicts everything that was said. I think you advice is just dangerous!

What does" if your worried, go to the dentist" mean?   She needs to see her OB doctor...not a dentist to get pain meds!
I feel that is you have never had an addiction you cant tell anyone whats best for them... you know her OB might even rrecomend that she continues to use them as he gradually takes her off and that may not ever be completely... You cant tell this poor girl she ahs to think about her baby because she obviously is... shes young and scared and you jumping down her throat isnt helping her situation!
I know from expierience. Get on a drug called subutex. It's expensive. It's ok. It's waaaay better for your baby on the withdrawel department. It's like Suboxone. However you can not take that while pregnant. Buprenorphine is a drug used to treat opiate dependence. I was on lortab popping 18-20 a day when I found out I was pregnant. I got online and went to turn to help.com. I found a Suboxone dr who gave me 2 8 milligrams a day. Ten I tapered from that. It was SOOO MUCH EASIER TO TAPER from a drug you body isn't addicted to. Subutex is a class c and my obgyn said its safe. Alot safer than popping all of those pills. Also since everyone that you are around pops pills, the subutex tricks your brain to think that you are not on pain. The other pills won't even work. So you won't take them. If you do, you will realize you spent money for nothing. Subutex basically makes your brain have a happy medium of no pain/ no high. So you aren't high or low. It's an amazing drug. Also is you don't taper off o it, it is said that your babies withdrawels aren't as severe if there are any at all. I am 33 weeks and just completely stopped after taking subs for about 4 months. Remember no Suboxone though. Not good for baby. Hope I could help.
Im pregnant also im 8wks and have been taking hydros for the past year due to frequent meningitus i decided to quit because i knew my body was getting addicted i want my baby safe and healthy im only on day 2 of no pills it feels like im dying but i refuse to take anymore period!
As a licensed addiction counselor, my first point of advice is DO NOT STOP WITHOUT TALKING TO A DOCTOR!  You're going to have to admit that you "became addicted" to the pills from your surgeries or something.  You don't HAVE to say you were addicted for longer, but it is probably safer for your baby and for you if you are honest.  If you were in your first trimester, I'd tell you NO COLD TURKEY because while it never kills an adult, it has been known in some cases to cause miscarriage.  You do not want to detox during pregnancy, as pregnant women rapidly metabolize opiates anyway.  If anything, to stay comfortable at this point, your dose should be going up, not down, but should be regulated by a physician.  I HATE to use the m-word.  Methadone?  I mean, you'd only be on it for a short time, and hospitals who deliver infants known to be on methadone maintenance keep the infant long enough to detox it inpatient. Otherwise, it is just not that safe.  Perhaps speak to an addiction specialist and see if you can try subutex or suboxone until you deliver, and detox after.  They will STILL need to detox your baby in the hospital.  I know for a fact (I used to work specifically with opiate addicts, and had more than one pregnant client on my caseload in my day) that your best bet at NOT having CPS involved is coming clean to a doctor immediately and asking for help.  There are rehabs out there for pregnant women, for mothers who already have children, etc.  You just need to find the right help, and find it ASAP.  The sooner it is documented that you became dependent on your prescription medication and WERE HONEST AND ASKED FOR HELP FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR CHILD, the better.  

There may be other complicating issues.  Sometimes the doctor will let you leave with your baby before true signs of withdrawal in the infant are apparent.  Then you return to the ER 2 days later and have to admit everything then?  Bad move.  They will say that you weren't honest when the baby was delivered that he/she might experience withdrawal, and therefore endangered your child.  Best bet, get honest, and get honest now.  I know you're scared, but the sooner you confess the better.  It shows a true concern for you baby's well being, and the earlier you show that concern, the better, ya know?  TRUST ME I have experience with this.  I had one patient non-compliant with treatment, and was still fighting for custody of her daughter with CPS when I left the rehab.  Another pregnant patient was maintained on opiates (dose was even increased I think 3 times during her pregnancy by the MD due to withdrawal causing fetal distress) and when she delivered, her baby stayed in the hospital and was detoxed.  The hospital called our rehab (it was outpatient) and asked had she been compliant and honest about her addiction since she came to us.  We said yes, and a week later she brought her baby home.  I'd say get honest, and get honest now.  Not just for CPS reasons, but for your baby's health.  
Methadone is not a good choice for pg women.  Subutex is safer.
please lemme hear your story too email me ***@**** im too addicted with hydrocodone