Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
37 weeks pregnant / percocet help!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

37 weeks pregnant / percocet help!

I am currently 37 weeks pregnant and had been taking percocet before I found out. From month 1-4 of my pregnancy I didn't take any pills. Unfortunately, I relapsed and slowly started using from the middle of my 4th month to now (37 weeks). I have stopped a couple of times, but have had issues because of withdrawal fears ECT... I am so scared. I love my baby and have been lucky enough to have the growth and tests be all healthy up to this date. In the past 2 weeks, I have tapered myself down to taking one 30mg tablet a day (spread through 2-4 times meaning I broke the pill to make it less) from me taking anywhere from 2-3 30mg a day...I REALLY WANT TO STOP FOR GOOD. I was never prescribed the pills, and started taking them because a friend had given them to me, everyday I live in fear that I'll start up again and fear that my baby will be born addicted. But I am determined to keep clean from today until my due date (3 weeks) I am praying that I even go later than that because I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any kind words or advice for me?
My only suggestion would be to tell your obgyn and seek some I'm patient care perhaps? Yours is a situation that I believe only a physician should answer.
In patient *
i feel for you alot. but you might not even make it until 40 weeks and the baby will prob be born and go through wd. i read a story here and a women was on 3 5mgs percocet a day for 3 weeks stopped cause she thought it was a low dose n went in to labor 2 days later.. but she was only a week or 3 away from her due date so tech she was full term. i wish i could help but i am going thru my own "what to do issues" but keep reading other stories and it may help although alot of stories are conflicting your story could turn out completely different
I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but right now you don't come first your baby should.  If you have a problem ADDRESS it NOW with your doctor/obgyn because he will be able to help both of you.  Remember your doctor's job is to HELP you and the baby.  There is lots of fear when we tell the doctor, but read some of our stories here and you'll see that doctors CAN help as long as your totally honest and you and your baby deserve the best.  Doctor see mom's addicte to everything under the sun, DO NOT fear the doctor, he or she should be your best ally.  Best wishes to you.
Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. I am teetering on the thought of telling my OB, but am also afraid of what could happen as a result. I do not want my child to be born withdrawing, and would hope that if I did tell- if that were to happen it would not cause me to have the baby taken from me. I am just really scared of all the possibilies and live in constant guilt.
try and look at it this way. you could co in to labor any day and you baby will withdrawal weather or not you tell your ob. so it would be better if he knew then if you chanced it
Yes this is very true. I would rather them know (so they could tend to baby's needs) than to question and wonder why I didn't speak up. Does anyone know, however, if I gave birth on my due date- would the baby withdraw? I ask because I would assume that if I'm clean and with no withdrawals for 3 weeks, it would mean the perc's are out of my system (and baby's?) am I wrong?
i have thought about that .. and saw mixed reviews. how much you taking now?
so im just going to tell you what i have read from other peoples story on here. 3 week w nothing at all and before that you were on a  low dose you may be ok. but every baby and pregnancy is different. but i have also read people even on a low dose who stopped that close to the due date went in to labor between 2 to 7 days after stopping.. i wish i had that answer for u i am looking for the same answer. so if u find out let me know
oh to be clear because stopping suddenly could send u in to labor. i dont know how true it is tho or if their babies were gona come earlier even if they didnt take ne thing and stop
I've taken (for the past week 1/2) a total of 30mg throughout the day. Today I feel ok and plan on not taking any more AT ALL. And yeah, every baby/pregnancy is different this is so true that's why I'm on the fence on whether or not I should say something to the ob. My bf insists I shouldn't because it may cause more problems, but I'm not really sure. A friend of mine just had her baby not too long ago and was in the same situation. She stopped like me (it was a month or 2 before her DD- so she says), and delivered her boy- he came out fine w/ no symptoms.. She told me that I shouldn't worry as long as I've stopped, that he'll be fine. But then again- like you said & like I know- we're all different & every pregnancy is different... Just would hate to have to regret not saying anything if in 3 weeks (being clean & all) the baby still had some type of symptoms and I couldn't live with myself if we were seperated. Like I said, I truely love my baby and have done everything else by the books with my pregnancy... I will be sure to let you know if I come up with any other information...
Hi, and welcome!  You're definitely in the right place for help and support!  Glad that you are quitting!  Although you need to tell your OB asap.  If you just STOP the pills it could be unsafe for the baby.  You're not taking too much which is a good thing, but I wouldn't just stop.  If anything I would continue tapering down more and more.  You really have to talk to your OB though.  Make an appt as soon as you can and tell him what's been happening.  Because then they know what to expect and how to help baby if something goes wrong.  Otherwise it will take them longer to help if there is an issue after birth.  Perhaps tomorrow take only 3 pieces of the pill instead of 4.  You said you're breaking it into 4 pieces right?  Keep posting on here and let us know what your OB says.  
While you're going through withdrawal, baby is going through it too inside of you. From what I understand this could send the baby into shock... not good. I hope vicki comments, she's a nurse and knows more about this. You NEED to tell your dr, it's what's best for baby. The women I know that admitted their addiction to their ob and did what the ob said kept their babies, but most of them told much earlier. I know your scared to tell, but think of how much worse it would be if you didn't tell and something bad happened. I don't want to scare you, I just want you and the baby to get the help you need.
hmf099 is right.  It could be worse if you don't tell your doctor at all.  And the only thing that can happen from telling your doctor is getting better help for you and the baby.  Good luck :)
Thank you all for your input. hmf-I hope that this vicki comments too. I really appreciate the advice and support and hope that I can do what's best from here on out & stick to my guns. I live with regret and guilt on a daily basis, but luckily last night I didn't have w/d symptoms and I feel ok today- my muscles are a bit bothered, but I haven't felt sick or nauseous or anything....Maybe the dose was tapered small enough that it didn't affect me too much? IDK... Maybe it has something to do with how long I was taking them...which was about 3-4 months and I didn't take them to get "high" but I did rely on them for pain relief and like I said, I do live with the guilt I wasn't prescribed them and should know better. I've always been the type of person who would look down on someone before in a similar situation, but now I know it can happen to the "best of us" UGH I am never touching those things again & hope that I can muster up the courage to tell my OB on weds. As of right now, I am planning on saying something, but I'm so afraid because of the fact that I've had prenatal care my entire pregnancy- will the dr be mad I didn't come clean sooner? Will he consider it too late? Ugh.. again, hopefully more people can comment who've had similar experience and can help guide me into what's best for my baby and me...
i have sent vicki a pm for you, but i am sure she will say you need to rell your obgyn, god bless.
Thank you, sudie
Hi Honey!!    

YES.  Tell your OB.  If you're going to make a mistake regarding this I think it should be on the side of caution,that's how I look at things. I'm going to nudge you just a little more so you WILL tell him.  Here's why:

If he is informed of the substance abuse(even though it's for pain only it's considered substance abuse because you didn't have an RX) he can control and be prepared for any "problems" that may arise at birth. Nothing will happen to you. He will council you and sign off on the "abuse". Meaning he will state that he was aware and supported you. This is generally what happens. He is not there to judge you...he's there to help and you need to let him.

A fetus does not have the capacity for anything like this. That's why pregnant women should NEVER STOP COLD TURKEY. The fetus feels everything and multiplied.  Don't do that.

I'm almost certain the baby will be born addicted. They need to know now about this. If he doesn't know, everyone will be caught unaware,and the baby will suffer in the long run while they all run around trying to figure out why the baby seems "off"( if that is the case).
You would have one very upset Doctor and who knows what else!!

You're a Mommy now and the right thing to do is always put your child first. It's a very natural thing and that's why you feel so badly right now..I understand.  I can almost guarantee you he'll be very appreciative of the fact you're telling him because this really puts his butt on the line if you don't.

Call for an appt in the morning. Tell the staff what it's about. Tell them you're scared. They'll help you!!  There have been many,many women in this situation. Most of them took pain meds for pain. The only difference is,you didn't have a prescription.  They can't kill you for that,I promise. Tell the truth here and stay with us...Keep us informed about the little one and I don't see any decision needing to be made here. There's no choice. You have to be honest tomorrow!!
Be very carful... Your baby can become addicted too (and not just you). The one and only way one can overcome Percoset addiction is to STOP taking Perc (i know what you are feeling, im w/d bad right now! I cant seem to type straight either! Been popping for almost 2 months... quit 55 hours ago and i feel, well like death). Eventually time will heal you, you just have to accept the fate that "if i take narcotics i will feel w/d symptoms eventually". Just bear the pain for a little bit, take days as they come and they will get better, and you baby will be even healthier. Stay strong!
you will be ok scooby, just listen to vicki. and take care, we re here for you and your baby!.
vicki- I messaged you some more questions... And thanks jimm...I hope you're recovery is as smooth as possible & you can stay strong also. I don't want to pick them up again even after I have the baby- I don't want to ever go through this BS again... ugh I will keep you all updated on how things go...have an ob apt on weds of this week & will let you all know what happens, I'm so nervous and scared though :(
Scooby-  I know you're nervous and you don't need that stress right now,either. That's why I think you should call tomorrow...this situation needs to be dealt with now.  There are a few things that can happen OR maybe not but you need to do something fast. I know you don't want to but you have to. I told you that you don't have a choice any more: The baby comes first...not your fear.

I'm very concerned that you could go into labor at any time. Then what???  What will you do??   They'll test the baby at the hospital and they will know what's been up. I totally
understand you honey, but I'm advocating for you AND that baby!!   Often times,a cold turkey withdrawal at this stage causes such stress for the baby that a woman goes into labor.  Do something before that happens.

Also,although the baby is human,it does not have the exact processes that we have. Fetal circulation is completely OPPOSITE our own!  This is one of the reason's drugs can be detected for a very long time in a  newborn. The fetus does NOT filter the drugs as we would think.

Sending me a PM is fine but I know I will say the same thing; perhaps with stronger words...I cannot stress enough the urgency of your situation.

It's all up to you now...so please do the right thing.    xo
What kind of withdrawal symptoms did you have after you began to taper down? I meant to ask you that....
My muscles ached, I took warm baths and that helped a lot... Other than that- I had sleeplessness. That's pretty much the extent of what withdrawals I've had.. That's why idk if it has something to do with how much? How my body handled the percs? idk.... ugh, like I said - I will let you know how things go tomorrow >.<
Hi there!
So I am currently in your exact same situation.  I have been addicted to Vicodin for years. My. Baby boy is due may 24th..I am currently on day 6 of quitting cold Turkey!  I tried multiple times throughout my pregnancy to quit but just couldn't do it. It wasn't till I came here and got support and  had the courage (and the fear put it me) to stop! I couldn't bear the thought of having my baby taken from me. I'm telling my doctor at my appt tomorrow ..I'm very scared but I know I have to. Like people said on here-its better to have said something than to have it look like you've been hiding something all along. It will make u loook way better. Right now I'm just scared I will go into early labor (please god not tonight before I tell my doctor)
Let me tell you - my withdrawls were not bad! I think because I have stops multiple times in the past few months, but its nothing you can't haandle! I had diareah and body ache, but other than that it has been so worth it! Your pregnant so you have every excuse too lay in bed all day! And just knowing that there is a chance that this will save you and you baby is enough to keep motivation. Move around when you can. Go outside, to the park, keep your mind occupied (I'm on this website all day everyday now) just don't let yourself stress too much, I had one day of bad anxiety and I thought for sure I was going to put myself into labor. Keep your thoughts on bringing baby home and honestly just get through thoes first few days of no pills and you will feel better and know your doing the right thing!
I'm still very fearfull of what will happen. I'm still so afraid my baby will be born addicted, even though I am not. I still have no idea how long it stays in the babys system and I'm dying to know the answer! At this point I'm just hoping he comes late so more time for it to pass and hoping he comes out healthy! Someone told me they quit 2 weeks before and the baby was fine! So, I hope that's the case. Anyway, wish me lluck at my appt tomorow..I will let you know what my doctor says. Don't let people on here scare you too much -it will only stress you out more. I will tell you straight from the doctors mouth tomorow! And stick with no pillls-I'm telling you..its worth it!!
I think it is dangerous for you to go through severe withdrawals because you are affecting the baby.  As such, I think you need to taper. You are so close to having the baby that it is totally unrealistic of you to think that this is going to go smoothly. I am sorry to be so honest.  If you can taper down until the baby is born without feeling terrible, then you might make it, but you cannot afford to let yourself and the baby go into terrible withdrawals.  I think you need to be honest with your doctor. I think you are definitely at risk of some sort of investigation if the baby is born with percocet in its bloodstream. All you can do right now is tell the truth because the truth is going to come out.  If you can get yourself completely in the right place, you will be able to raise your child. But please.. tell the truth now to a doctor.  Do not put the baby through any more stresses than it needs. Blessings to you and remember you are loved.
momtobe- thank you so much it's so nice to know that I'm not alone in this...I'm sure you are the same as me when you know that the only place you can turn is here- that's what's helping me a lot (since yesterday! lol) but anyway...I wish the best for you also, please send me a message or post tomorrow after your apt. My next apt is weds & I will keep you (and everyone else) updated as well.. xo
Call your Dr. TODAY, do not wait until Wednesday!!!
You do realize that whatever withdrawal you are feeling while pregnant, baby feels too? It's not really any better than having them born addicted and going through withdrawal then, although it's a little better. I think women stop cold turkey while pregnant thinking "i'll suffer the withdrawals now so my baby doesn't have to later" - but the truth is, baby feels it too. which is why it's absolutely vital that you're talking to your doctor whether you quit cold turkey or whether you taper - cutting off too quickly can cause fetal seizures or worse, which I know sounds like I'm trying to scare you but I'm trying to scare you into talking to your doctor TODAY...and not waiting. your baby's health is the only important thing here...so you need to call immediately.

I had to take pain meds while pregnant both times so I know what I'm talking about - during both pregnancies I had to weigh the pros and cons of continuing versus cold turkey versus tapering..but I did it all under the direction and care of my OB..they were the ones prescribing and they were the ones who made the safest decisions for me and as a result neither of my babies had any trouble or were born addicted.

please. PLEASE. call your doctor this morning, I can't stress that enough. yes some women have quit cold turkey and the baby has turned out fine, but that's a risk you don't have to take. taking pain meds without medical direction during pregnancy is dangerous enough, but then taking additional risks is just silly in my opinion....you need to minimize the risk as much as possible and that requires your doctor to know and help you.
to everyone who keeps telling me not to go cold turkey- I HAVENT & that's exactly why i didn't want to send babe into shock or worse... i tapered & was ok for a day, but then took a tiny bit to sleep 2 days in a row... i am on 1 day clean though as of right now & am not looking back. i'm not withdrawing which is a miracle & i keep praying everyday that i make it to my due date, or further (i am a first time mom & doc says i show no signs of going early....we shall see) the only symptoms i'm having is aches & pains, which laying in a warm tub has helped - not to mention....these are normal pregnancy symptoms- especially in late pregnancy. DR says not to worry as long as i keep off them until the end, my baby will NOT withdraw... thank god- thank you all for the advice, and i hope NOBODY ever has to worry or deal with what i had to, but if they do...i hope they can come and find a safe environment like i did *anonymous through this forum* & not be ashamed to be honest or afraid to take an honest opinion.. so again, thank you for everyone who responded & i'll be checking back everyday because the support on this forum is fantastic, and i could use it because there's no way i want to break down & take any percocet..it's just not worth it
Good girl!!

Stay in touch!!
thank you... i will, i need to stay on here because i really don't have a support system around me at home so i will def keep in touch until that little boy makes his debut. hopefully he keeps cooking & comes along when he's ready. until then, i'll be on here trying to stay positive & everytime he kicks it will just be another reminder of why i stopped & why i'm staying clean :)
:D  YAY!!!  I loved your last sentence there.  He will be your inspiration and a GREAT one at that!!!  
Make sure you keep in touch.  We all look forward to the birth announcement~~~sara
i am so glad your ok! look after yourself , will wait for the announcement! god bless.
i will let you all know when he comes for sure.. i can't wait now I can get excited and not feel so damn guilty all the time along w/ that...but anyway, he's been moving around & yes- i have some pains, but they are all the normal ones. i'm not w/d-ing and i'm on hr 29 to be exact :)
Hey sweetie congrats on talking to the doc - come on over to the Pregnancy 18-34 forum and count down to the end with us, you'll get some AMAZING support, and you won't get judged...I'm the Co-Community Leader over there and it's really amazing support for pregnant women..we would love to have you!
So happy for you!!  Its so good for another person to have a story where the doctor was HELPFUL.  It really makes me angry when a person finally faces the FEAR of telling a medical professional and they judge.  Those doctors in my opinion should lose their licenses.  They becamce doctors to HELP people and bad reactions by them DISCOURAGES good health in their patients, ticks me off BIG TIME.  So big kudos to you scooby!! Now you can sit back and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and happily anticipate your new little one.  This made my day!!!!
HI EVERYONE! I just wanted to let you know that after I weined myself off the percs, I didn't take them any longer.....For 6 days......My baby was born on May 22 and he's perfectly healthy. I'm glad I did what I did and stopped them when I did. I also wanted to add that when I did take them (from my 5th month through my 8th month of pregnancy) I wasn't taking as much as I would not being pregnant, I tried to limit my intake and I'm glad I didn't overdo it. I would recommend anyone who does fall pregnant with an addiction, to talk to your dr immediately and take action immediately. Sometimes we think we can control it, like I did, but it may come back into our lives & be difficult & all to handle.... My baby passed all his tests including hearing & had no signs of any issues with wd or anything....but I am lucky, you never know! Every person, every pregnancy, and every baby is different....Thank you all for your advice & help! I LOVE BEING A MOMMY....day 9 of being a mommy & i don't know how i lived life before........
CONGRATULATIONS!! on your lovely little boy, i am so glad you and baby are well!  what is his name?  im just nosy!   but what lovely news for us!!!,  god bless .
Wonderful news...being a Mommy is the best!!
I understand your fear from the addition standpoint, and you have to deal with that yourself. I am only commenting on the aspect of your baby, when I was pregnant I had alot of health issues, in the 1st trimester the Obgyn gave me tylonel with codiene to take daily. In the 2 and 3 trimester they gave me percocets, to take daily. They were only the 5/325 but they were to be taken 5 times a day 1-2 as needed, and my child was born when she was due, was perfectly healthy and not one withdraw symptom.   Your baby can possibly be perfectly healthy and not have any dts, but you need to talk to your dr.
Congrats!!! Yay. Best job in the world is being a mommy.
YAY!!!  Congrats and huge hugs for you!!  So happy everything worked out for the best :)  Give him a kiss for us all!  And don't ever forget that you're the best mommy in the world because you're his ONLY mommy!!!!  I'm so happy for you! :) :D  I remember when my kids were born, it was the best days of my life and you will never forget it!!!  
Hello.. i am currently going through what you went through with your pregnancy and addiction. I am very happy to see that your baby was healthy and everything worked out fine. I was wondering since you were open and honest about everything to you OB if any type of CPS got involved? I already have told my doctor and she is aware of what is going on. I love my baby girl so much and i would do anything in the world for her. I can NOT bare the thought of her getting taken from me. Would you have any type of info that could help me out?? pls?
You need to do yourself a favor and put the bababy's needs first. I went through the same exact thing and I was honest w the docs but I never took their advice on getting treatment and finding a doc to prescribe me subutex. When I had the baby, I had been on suboxon for the last 3wks (prior I was on 1-2 perc 30s a day) and my baby was still born addicted, and stayed in the NICU for 1 month. As embarrassing and awful as it was for me, it was what my baby needed and if I chose to be selfish and not be honest, I would have had to live w the guilt of taking her home to withdraw under no medical supervision and that is a serious risk and just plain cruel. Anyway, if you seek help and get on the right meds before delivery, although your baby may still be born addicted (all are different so you just have to wait and see) your going to be on the right track so that DSS can not bother you. If you do not get help, they will be right in your face the minute you are feeling up to talking after you deliver the baby and they won't leave your life until they know you've quit doing drugs and are seeking professional help. Do the right thing. I wish I did.
I guess I am fortunate but I have ttaken pain meds on and off since my second trimester for very bad UTIs, kidney stones and back issues. But I NEVER withdrawl (withdrawal) from the meds, I can take them for a while and stop and it doesn't bother me, does that mean the baby won't suffer withdrawls either?
I am almost 37 weeks along btw
     I know exactly what you are going through. I was diagnosed with TMJ after a car accident in my early 20's. The doctor was real quick to write me a prescription of percocets and send me on my way. I became dependent on them ever since. I got pregnant with my first child when I was 26 , she is now 3 years old and was born perfectly normal. I was on percocets my entire pregnancy with her, and the doctors at the hospital never even asked me if I was on percocets and I never told my OB Dr because I was scared they would of taken my child away from me.

Every pregnancy is different and once again I am pregnant with my second child. I'm due in December and once gain terrified to tell my doctor that I have been using percocets. I want to stop but when I researched the withdraw and how harmful it can be to the baby rather then continue taking the medicine.

I am a great mother, wife, step-mother and a very hard worker. I made the biggest mistake of my life getting caught up taking these pills and I cry every night that something may be wrong with my unborn baby.

I was lucky the first time that my daughter was perfectly healthy and didn't have to experience any withdraw symtoms (symptoms) but I Know that I may not be so lucky again,

If I tell my doctor the truth that I have been taking percocets will they take my baby away from me. That is what scares me to death!!!!
I know exactly what your going through I'm 32weeks pregnant and have been taking cet 10s for bout 3-4months last week I stopped cold turkey I was on day 5 being clean and withdrawals was horrible so I had or felt like I had to take something and I'm quiting tomorrow and seeking help I could use some advice myself if anybody could help me with advice please tell me
How long does it normally take to go through withdrawls and until its out of your system? Is it any different if your pregnant?