Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
7 years of Suboxone and cancer!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

7 years of Suboxone and cancer!

Ok I have been on suboxone for 7 years ..that is right 7 years and before that 5 years of oxycontin OC and heroin.  total of  12 years of substances. I just found out that I have cancer and will need a hysterectomy in a dew days. The oncologist put me on 30mg of Oxycontin OP a week ago while I get the suboxone out of my system. I need it out of my system in order to be treated for pain. (I had a C- section on subutex and it was HELL!!! )
Needless to say, The doc first out me on 30mg of morphine ER and it did not do much , I still had some withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. I feel much better on the Oxycontin OP and do not feel "high" at all. To get to my point, is it possible after all these years to come off all this ****??  Like I am wondering if this is a blessing in disguise? like the subs are finally making its way out of my system and I know how horrible sub withdrawals are really  not up for weeks even months of PAWS. Does anyone know anyone who has successfully made it off of subs after being on it for a long time like me???  should I take advantage of this op to taper down from the narcotics??
Tags: long term suboxone use, withdrawal
hey mate welcome im currently comin off morphine been on it for years..
So sorry about ur news sweetheart hope it all goes well. i to have cervical cancer they done a op two weeks ago to remove it got a phone call thrusday just gone its still there they say my only option is a hysterectomy i want more babies as i bet you want babies too its horriable that thats the only option huni.
everyone is different some cant taper most of us just go cold turkey its 5-7 days of being unwell the best advice i got was "tell yaself you have the flu and you have to be ok about not being ok" its overwhelming how we feel in those first few days but it does get better everyday. its not nice or easy where fighting for our lives..
i just wanted to say ur not alone n theres some really amazing people here no judgement all beautiful words n amazing souls someone who knows more will be along soon hang in there mwah <3
just a quick question how long has it been since your last pill or u still taking them/
I have experience in subutex and suboxene the only way I know is to.........Like the first 2 days maybe take 2 pills next couple days go down to one-three quarters then 1 and a half just keep going down a quarter every couples day until you are finished and you should be good.Good luck to you
Yea I am very nervous as I have been taking suboxone for literally 7 years and just dont know if there is actually a way to really taper down from full opiods?  
I have not taken the suboxone in 7  days now, but I have been taking morphine then now oxycontin 30 mgs
Hi Dragonflylady,

I was on suboxone for over 2 years.  It is possible to come off and stay off.  I went through an accelerated detox with an addiction specialist.  This is not the Rapid Detox.  The detox I did was in Virginia and took 8 days, but was much easier than kicking it without any help.  I ran out one time on vacation and by day 3 I thought I was going to die.  I was only on 2mg.  When I detoxed, I slept the better part of the first week and much of the second as well and finally started to feel human the third week.  If you have been off sub for 7 days, it should be working it way out and taking the oxy will fill the receptors.  If the oxy is keeping you out of withdrawal, then it is a pretty good sign that the suboxone is working it's way out.  All the best for your treatment.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.  Definitely work with your doctor after your treatment to see if you can work off all of the pain killers.  Quitting while on a regular opiate is much easier than suboxone.
I totally agree with using the full opioids to get off the suboxone...suboxone is 70% stronger then full ant.From what I am seeing I have been on subs longer then anyone I know, There are docs who are using the finishing off where u started method to get off subs... think I a going to go for it!