Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
A prescription to help with Vicodin withdrawals? Is there one? Ty

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I am currently addicted to Vicodin ES. I am taking (when I have it) anywhere from 10-15 a day. I have been addicted for about 18 months, hardcore for the last 6 months or so. I have to take at least 5 at a time to feel normal. The other day when I ran out, of course I was going thru horrible wd's. Sweating (palms and soles of feet mostly), agitation, thoughts, etc and etc.
I had a bottle of Stadol NS Nosespray that I had been given a LONG time ago for migraines, and that I had never really used cuz I didn't like it. But I was desperate so I did 2 blasts. And BAM! ALL of my wd symptoms were 100% gone, yet I DIDN'T feel "high" or "euphoric" like the Vicodins made me.
So my question-is there a drug that can be prescribed, that "takes away" your wd symptoms, yet DOESN'T get you high? I think this would be the perfect drug for me to use to finally get off of these pills and take my life back! Used in conjuction of course with other treatments like N.A. etc. I keep hearing here and on the web about "suboxone." Is this a drug like that? I have an appt with my doc on monday to confess everything to him; I am pretty sure he already knows. He was going to call me in a script for some Vics 2 weeks ago-he called the pharm and asked the pharmacist if I had seen any other drs and gotten this med; of course they told him yes and he refused to call it in. I haven't spoken to him since then. Thank you all for your help and support. And God bless our troops!
Squirrel, My name is Rob. I am glad to make your aquaintance. I am not a doctor and I will leave it up to the forum MD to answer your question. However, I do have a link to the FDA's webpage for buprenorphine (subutex / suboxone). If you are interested in a maintenance program using this medication, I would link up with the web page and print ALL of the information and give it to your doctor. The page has everything from the chemical makeup of the drug to information for the prescribing doctor / pharmacy etc. A ton of info!

This is the link:
http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/subutex_suboxone/default.htm. (just copy and paste)

Hang in there my friend. I had a 20 a day, 10mg vicodon HP addiction for 4 years. I am now into my 4th week of recovery (without a relapse). IT CAN BE DONE. Just keep swinging! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Squirel and Rob, Hi guys and WOW do I relate. I came out of a five day detox this week (Monday)from the same crud plus oxy right at the end. AA, therapy, chocolate have all been helping. I haven't found a withdrawl (withdrawal) drug, but as I left the hospital I attending a meeting on nutrition (just to be a good DooBee). It turned out to be nutrition for depression and the mentioned the # 1 most effective treatment...exercise. SO, after a few days of walking 5 miles a day...I'm starting to see signs of life. Therapist says 6-8 weeks of psychological withdrawl (withdrawal), with the physical symptoms of anxiety...sweaty palms, leg spasms, chills and general ick. He DID however mention an antidepressant called Lexipro that has anxiety easing effects and NO ugly side effects. Guys, I can tell you that I have never in my 52 years been so comitted to NEVER feeling this way again....the best to both of you.
BP897, so where are you?

"DISCOVER Vol. 20 No. 8 (August 1999)

Kicking Psychological Dependency

Dopamine makes you feel good and some people go to great lengths to get more. Ravers take Ecstasy and addicts snort cocaine just to tickle their dopamine receptors. One of the biggest obstacles to getting off drugs, former abusers say, is psychological dependency on the dopamine kick.

French researchers think they have the answer. Pierre Sokoloff of the French Institute of Health and Medical Research has found that a compound called BP897 fits right into the dopamine receptor and stops rats from acting like they need a fix. Sokoloff believes that while BP897 does nothing to stop physical addiction, it may someday help people break the habit of drug taking.

The link between drugs and dopamine isn't direct. The body is always producing small amounts of dopamine. Drugs like cocaine block the channels that suck extra dopamine back into the nerve cell. This creates a short-term high because the cell is flooded with dopamine that's not getting drained away again. However, if dopamine cleanup is repeatedly blocked through sustained drug use, the body can assume that it's making too much and stops producing natural dopamine, or kill off some of the receptors. Addicts have to take more and more drugs to stay happy.

Sokoloff trained rats addicted to cocaine to respond, like Pavlov's dogs, to a signal the same way they'd respond to a hit of cocaine. Sokoloff saw this as a model of how people's environment influences their drug-taking habits. If being in a bar reminds a drinker of how good a beer tastes, or being around cigarettes makes smokers want to smoke, the light coming on reminded the rats of how good the cocaine felt. They'd press a lever in the cage just to turn on the light, if cocaine wasn't available.

Then the rats were given doses of BP897. The chemical mimics dopamine's effects, but only partially, so the receptors get neither too much stimulation nor not enough. The mixture kept the rats from asking for cocaine when they saw the light. There are no side effects, say the researchers, except that the rats stopped wanting cocaine just from being around things that reminded them of the high.

The researchers at the French Institute of Health and Medical Research in believe BP897 may work against other kinds of drugs, too. Receptors are thickly clustered in a nerve knot in the center of the brain, just above the ears, which has long been known to harbor the center of dependence. Hopefully BP897 would blind addicts to the cues around them that said, how about a line? The effects of BP897 may not be dramatic enough to work against physical addiction, but it could help people who are addicted psychologically, such as tobacco smokers who can't quit because they need something to do, or marijuana smokers, who aren't physically addicted but still can't seem to stop."
Jonesie, I know what you're saying! This is SO NOT a game. I can't put into words how much it helped (during my withdrawl (withdrawal)) to read the threads in this forum. And how much it hurts to see people like Sqirrel struggling for the answer, wanting to take that step. (we're here anytime you need to talk!)

Now that I am past the rough physical stage, I have to keep the demon 'in check' so it don't drag me back to hell. I can tell you, honestly as tough as the physical withdrawl (withdrawal) is, it is magnified 100 fold if the psyche isn't taken out of the picture.
(depression, hoplessness, deep dark thoughts)>I felt like I was going mad!

I went to my doc and spilled my guts. I CAN'T taper (I'd eat every pill in a matter of minutes) I can't do maintenance 'cause I would get hooked on the treatment (I have a tendancy towards addiction) So I had to go it with no Narcotics.

My doctor put me on an anti-depressant (Effexor XR) and it made all the difference in the world. It took away the jitters, convulsions, leg and arm spasams. Didn't touch the flu type symptoms or the fatigue but I was comfortable 'cause I wasn't crawing in my skin. I am still taking it 4 weeks later because it also blocks the cravings for the narcotic.

Again, Squirrel / Jones...I am not a doctor (I'm a mechanical engineer) and I wouldn't dream of advising you which way to go, but I do want to say that a non narcotic treatment CAN work. If you are ready for the fight.  All my best... Rob
....well the closest i could find was RubA535 in my medicine chest.....

Thats a pretty interesting read Thomas.
Do you think it will ever be available to the public???

percs
that's funny you mention chocolate; the last time I was going through withdrawals (last weekend), I noticed I was eating a TON of chocolate (peanut m&m's to be specific). This was pretty surprising, seeing as how I normally don't eat chocolate more than once or twice a month!
Our bodies are strange and wonderful places : )
Thanks all for your help. Looking forward to hearing from the Forum M.D. on my post.
I'm also worried after reading about Suboxone on the FDA site that my dr is NOT qualified to prescribe it for me (or that he won't even if he is).
Hopefully my insurance in some way will cover me going to an addiction specialist.
Peace
only to the really cool people
Hopefully, they can come up with a drug like that for opiates.
A lot of people on here, the Doc included, tout the benefits of Sub/Bup, well one thing people should know is there is a lot of RED tape involved in trying to get it, I went to an outpatient detox center near DC and found out while there that my ins would cover it, however, I had to first purchase it at a special pharmacy that compounds it to sublingual instead of using it IM.
I would have to pay 400 up front for a 2 week supply and then wait around for my Ins co  to reimburse me, This is ****!

Can they make IT any harder on an addict? If I had 400 I could try to buy 400 dollars worth of vikes and try a taper, but seriously, this sucks, ultimatly I ended up going inpatient for 9 days, I stayed clean 35 days and relapsed, Now I am terrified. What have I done? I called my old Ortho doc and he gave me some vikes 5mg not a few mind you. Why can't I leave this demon alone?
It feels so good. Now to top it all off, we are going to visit my mother in law today for the first time since my rehab in late January, she knows I took some of her vikes and drank most of her codiene cough syrup, I always wanted to confess to her although she knows, but I went into her dresser drawer to get the vikes, thats BAD! I could see if it were in a med cab or a kitchen Cab. Time to pay the piper, I hope she will not bring it up, I am not ready to deal with it right now.

Any suggestions guys? I have not posted on here in a while but have still read everything, I remember how good I felt after getting out of Rehab now its all shot to hell.
Love to all and God Bless Baddgirl( Jan)
You said, "...BP897 fits right into the dopamine receptor and stops rats from acting like they need a fix."

Will BP897 help me?  I got the right nickname for it. :)
Since falling off, am back on CT from VikeES, 10-15 p/day. I could use some 'how great sober is.. stories'.. .. . I hope to be as hippee/michael a yr from now. (354 more days). This is hard, so ramble on. I keep checkin in here and not seeing a lot of posts. A movie really helped w/ errant thoughts last night, and a bath w/ the body aches. But. It sucks~
Rodewc
Hang in there because being sober is great!

It's not just being sober either...It's having control of your life again! That's what it's all about! It's about NOT waking up and wondering what excuse to give your doctor or your friends to get more pills. It's about NOT opening your Vicodon bottle seeing 5 pills left and feeling dread cover you like a shroud.

I was taking 5 pills 4 times a day (10mg vicodon hp) for 4 years daily.

Three times a week I would have to leave work (without permission of my super) to make sure I made it to the doctor before he closed...Some times I didn't make it. During these times, I practically locked myself in my study and didn't come out...Then I would go into work late the next day so I could make the doctor's office my first trip. ALL OF THAT IS OVER NOW!

But please think about NOT going this alone. I went to see my MD and he gave me an anti-depressant that supressed the depression and jitters (restless arms and legs too) If you have trouble sleeping, he can give you a sedative as well.

How you do this is your business...But we will be here to talk. I am four weeks on the wagon without a single relapse and my cravings are very much under control (same anti-depressant) It's a long way to go but we can do it together...OK?

All my best, Rob
Sure, thank you. I had effexor (mebbe a decade ago) Nasty drug when quit CT. One day i decided i wanted sex and chocolate instead of being numb.. didn't renew the effexor script.. OUTTA body experience.. worse than a bad LSD trip.. The Walmart pharmacist moved me right to the front of the line when she saw me and told me you cant CT off effexor, so when u decide to go off, if yr doc isnt about, wean:) Meanwhile, to further my mindset today, I took the puppy for a two hr walk on the beach. Lovely. I counted 12 sailboats and wondered why in all this beauty a full pill bottle is the prettiest sight I know. Sad situation. Thx. More encouraging words whenever. ~
hey there, just want to respond to your post.
my name is michael , i am an addict i was addicted to speed(meth)
a couple quater t's a day and qualudes back in the 70's.
im 43 i started useing when i was 12 and was in and out of aa and na  for 12 years.
after two divorces, 50 arrest, losing a few jobs. at the age of 24 i found myself at the end of the road.
i started going back to N.A. meetings  and got involved and made a commitment to just go to na, this was a suggestion from my father who has been in aa for 38 years and sober the whole time.
i stayed clean for 16 years, got my two kids back from both marrages, moved to the suburbs and raised my kids, my eldest
got marriedat 18 and she had a son my 5 year old grandson.
my youngest is on a full scholarship at a newyork collage.

well i wound up on vikes in 1998 for liget pain rotator cuff
operations, i took them as prescribed for almost a year 4 a day.
then i wound up abusing them , due to some people close to me dying, the next thing i knew i was taking up to 15 vikes a day
and i did not get any high from them , they only made me able to function and feel normal.
i fround this fourm last yearin jan and learned   a lot about what was going on, with all my experence staying clean , i was cluless when it came to opates, well i found out about the thomas receipe and got right on ot and it helpd a lot.
the 1st week of withdrawls was very painful , the restless leg and body was a very difficult thing to get through.
the lack of energy and severe depression was much easier due to the help from the vitamine's in thomas receipe.
the time i tred to kick on my own befor i found this fourms
always failed because i could never deal with the severe depression and the totol lack of energy.
i hade to go clod turkey , tapering for me was a complete
failure every time, i was just a glutton.

recovery/ clean time for me is about finding a path that works.

i come here to the fourm still and share my experence,
i also still go to na meetings. keeping the focus off of myself, . helping others has been a key to my recovery. belonging to a homegroup in na has been very important.
there are some groups that just suck, so it is important to find a home group where the people there are talking recovery and
not just telling war stories.i belong to a good group in na
where the people talk about whatthey are doing to make the changes in thier lives, in order to get better and stay better,
na should be a place where there is some ENTHUSIASM.
ENTHUSIASM is the gasoline that makes true recovery run.
as i have stayed clean  life has always gotten better,
everything always works out. when i used when i was younger
i was a poster child for murphy's law , what ever could go wrong did., i used to get flat tires every week.
looking back it was because i used all my money for drugs and used to buy 5 dollar tires at the junk yard.
when i got clean i bought 4 steel belted radiels and never got a flat.
looking back , i realize i used drugs because i hated my life and myself when i got clean it took a while before i started to feel better, tho i was doing real good i still felt bad.
my feeling finally caught up with my reality
in recovery i learned it was alright to feel bad or have a bad day or even  a bad nmonth, as i stay clean and plantgood seeds good things begin to unfold in life.
they say in na , you can have a life beyond your wildest dreams
i have found this to be true, but it takes time and commitment.
one thing about staying clean and being honest and living a good
life, i dont have to worry about getting locked up. i always hated hand cuffs. there is great freedom in being clean and living the good life. i am very thank ful / gratitude is one of
the best things i ever learned, along with the principles,
of acceptance, openmindedness, humilty, willingness,
i approch each day by looking for the good in it, i beleive the best in everyone i meet, here and in daily life.
i have noticed that people who lie don't trust anyone,
people who steal think everyone el;se is stealing.
that the guilty man runs where noboy chase's him.
i accept people where they are, and do not jude them.
i learned the way i judge others is the way i judge myself,
so allow people to make mistakes and be wrong.
i try not to measure myself to much , because i find myself beating myself up with the mesuring stick.
living just for today is an art.
i realize i am an addict and find myself substituting  the drugs with other things like work, reading, food, spending money,
at times gambling. i need to keep a check on myself
and ask my self where i am wrong, i don't blame other's
for my problems blame is just another form of denile.

peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hippy
I just read this post and please excuse my ignorance, but how can someone be on 10-15 Vicodin a day? I know it's possible because I've often read such reports, but are these meds that are prescribed or obtained through other channels?

I've also heard the street price for Oxycontin, Percoset and Vicodin are quite high, but that some people get prescriptions by going to different doctors.

I don't know what the relation of the pain meds are to each other. Can relief to addiction be obtained by taking a different narcotic? (Taking Tylenol 3 with codeine instead of Vicondin?)

My father had surgery on both knees recently and the doctor prescribed Darvocet, which I've had and I consider worthless as a pain reliever. We talked to the doctor and switched him to Vicodin ES immediately, which he likes better than Oxycontin. But can Darvocet provide any relief from a Vicodin addiction?

Michael, thank you vvv much. It is a great thing to read yr words, looking at the lonnng nite hrs ahead-. TyVm~ VVVVm. ~
The propoxyphene in Darvocet, like the hydrocodone in Vicodin, is a narcotic. At the right dosage, it will significantly relieve hydrocodone withdrawal but won't eliminate it. Be aware that propoxyphene withdrawal is no picnic, either.

Thomas
HI! My heart goes out to all of you who have walked down this ugly road of addiction and withdrawals and are able to talk about it!! For the ones who haven't got to the end of the road yet, keep walking, so what if you fall down,get back up and start over- just don't give up! Im so pleased to have found you all. 61/2yrs of chronic back pain,the painful epidural and cortisone shots, muscle relaxers galore, weight put on by steroids and anti-inflammatories that worsened the pain, arthritis pills, pills I don't know what they were, let alone the ones I forgot and OH YELL, can't forget all those narcotic pain meds-darvocet,Tylenol w/codeine{3&4}, oxycotin, and last but not least, VICODIN, it's nice to have someone who can actually relate to my misery. I had a herniated disk and a ruptured one that was replaced with cages, plates, and screws. I really don't know what's worse, living daily with high levels of periodic pain or going thru withdrawals 1x a yr  for volunteer detox. I too, go thru all the ugliness of withdrawals for 3-4wks to 2 months [my longest], just to clean out the body to start poisoning again. Dealing with the mental and the emotional moments [which occur every second during the ordeal] are my worse.I've almost accepted the fact that after 6 1/2yrs I WILL be living with physical pain for the rest of my life. Vicodin highs help me more mentally and emotionally than what it does physically. STRESS, my job functions,weather,female problems, and being the sole caretaker of my stroke-born son only makes the pain worse. That is why my 1st doc told me to live with the pain,easier said than done,2nd and 3rd doc says stay on vicodin since I'm a LONG TERM USER. So I do my best to stay mental and emotional strong and dependable since my son needs me, not just for MOM, but when he needs surgery, therapy, drs visits, and most importantly,be straight when and if a seizure occurs. Before my accident, I raised him to never say I can't, that he can do whatever he wants to do in life ,it just might be a lil harder to accomplish than someone else, to never ever give up on himself, and all of this was done with LOTS of sense of humor. WELL,HELLO, I didn't think I would be in a position to Do AS I SAY!!! I feel honored and priveleged to have the son that I have since he has been there to encourage me just as I did him {since his father,my hubby} doesn't want to be bothered with our health situations. My life has definately been a struggle for a very very long time,with lil support and no help with all the triumphs life has thrown me. But the hardest I believe was giving up my independant pride to having to ask my MOM to take off work, not only to have to take care of my son but me as well.Since my loving,let me lean on your shoulder for support of a husband treated himself to a 8 month affair with a ------!!  It wasn't easy finding out later that while our son was struggling to learn new household chores unexpectedly and having to switch caretaker roles that he was enjoying himself in that manner. Then telling me that it was my fault{MAJOR BACK SURGERY} cause I was unable to perform my wifely duties!! All of this emotional and mental despair before I even knew what withdrawals really meant!! My answer for handling this much turmoil for sooo long is GOOD VITAMINS AND HERBS, complements of my mother's pushing them down my throat or else ways. I start detox May 15 and I just found out grapefruit essential oils are suppose to be helpful with drug/alcohol additiions. www.antiagingchoices.com  The herbal essential oils are to calm,relax,help depression and lots more. Make sure to go to the web page and read it first!!    I know Im trying it. The vitamins I take are a good multivitamin,kyolic garlic,B stress tabs, B complex tabs, pantothenic acid, magnesium, calcium,vit.E and plant sterols & sterdins in a pill called MODUCARE that builds immune system and reduces the effects of the toxins  and the STRESS! Besides the LOVE of GOD, MOM, and MY SON these are what I give credit for being as physically healthy and mentally and emotionally stable.I do hope you have GREAT LUCK surviving these tough times and being able to ENJOY your lives to the FULLEST!!! THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO FINALLY EXPRESS MYSELF AFTER ALL THESE YEARS!!
Long Term: Good Luck w/ rehab. Hope it is a positive, successful one. If you take any Grapefruit.. DO NOT mix w/ hormones or certain vitamins (the vitamins i forget- i am sure @ not mixing w/ the hormones)

Yo Tony: Lizbet said "But for they grace of God go I" (loosely quoted). Addiction happens. A 10-15 pill habit starts w/ 1 pill.

Like a Bulimic, I binged and purged. Some days I would have 1or 2 Vikes so other days I could splurge on Vikes. The 10-15 # was, because, given my druthers, that woulda been my access level.

As it twere, I had legit access by scrip for 150/p/month. (much less than my desired amt of 300-450/p/month)

Cost you ask? Dirt cheap. Cheaper than a six of Imports: $7.00 (US) dollars.

The question you ask.. I liken to asking an alcoholic why he ordered another bottle of wine. Or a smoker: 3 packs a day? How do you do it? Or asking someone: mixing barbs and narcotics w/ antihistimines; isn't that dangerous?

Last nite, hrs were lonnnnng, and yr questions rolled around in my dreamless cravings. I wont say anything else. I have to get rid of anger and addictions. Somehow.

It's time for cards.. anyone play Spades? And FOX news.. now THEY (FOX and Yahoo spades.. are good.. i heard this joke on FOX:

A group of Saddam look alikes were brought together and told there was good and bad news.

Good News: Saddam is still alive so you are all still employed.

Bad News: He lost an arm and a leg.

Other than that.. me w/ a new pet.. Someone asked a friend who owns a Beautiful white shephard.. Would you shoot your pet for a Million Dollars?

Reply (instant): "Up the ass? Or between the eyes?"

Thx again, hippee for your last post~

Rode w/ C.

15 vikes a day.
started with 4 a day for about a year
then they did nothing for the pain so i took 4 more
in the afternoon at one time. a fewmoths later
i was takinf 5 when i woke up just to get around
5 at lunch and night . at this poaint there was no high
just took them to get rid of pain and was just out of my mind.
they were 4 dollars each on the street.
it is an insane way of life, i hated it , and myself for doing it.
being clean is like  cool breezz on a summer morning with
a hit of morning glories in the air. true freedom/ from the
nightmare of addiction  which sucked the life right out of  me.

peace!!!!!!!!!!hippy
Thanks for the breath of freedom of being drug-free.  I could actually feel it for the moment.  More-more-please.  :)
Love, Lisabet
in the book one flew overr the cookoo's nest,
there is a scene where the 3 doctors are watcthing
the inmate cheif, he is looking out the window at
birds nest full of baby birds, the doctors comment
amongist themselves to each other that he is getting better
because he is looking outside of himself, particuly nature.
he was being restored to sanity.
when i was 13 i, used to take food to a guy who was meatally ill, too the point he did not even respond to conversation, looking back he was so  absorbed withen himself, his eyes might as well have been turned inwards,he live  at my fathers halfway house.
as for my own experence with this type of stuff. i remember
driving down a 295 a high way in north jersey, i was clean about 9 months and i was 26 years old and i looked off the side of the road in the distance and i noticed this 1 tree, it sat there in the middle of a cornfeild and it was leafless , but i was overcome by it beauty, reaching up to the sky, i pulled over to the side of the road and stared at it. i remember ifelt like iwas looking into my salvation.
i had never taken the time in my life to notice anything
in nature, i was so caught up with myself and my seemingly endless mission to serve self.
at that point i understood what those doctores were talking
about in the book, i was getting better too.

these days ,18 years later clean agian i enjoy the simlpe things
like a morning cup of coffee in the sun. or the comfort of my bed
at night , and just enjoying  being tired, and waking up rested.
not wakeing up and feeling like a 90 year old man.

peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sanity begins  when we make the same mistakes and we realize nothing is going to change.
unless we change.
Hi Rob, I enjoy reading your comments, you give me hope.  Also, you mentioned that you are on Effexor and I have questions.  Did it make you want to eat and eat or gain weight?  And I have heard that if you want to stop taking it it has a long withdrawl (withdrawal) period itself. Not that that matters so much to me, with the chronic pain problems I have I will probably always be on an anti-d as my poor brain needs all the help it can get.  I have taken  prozac for years and it seems to have stop working for me so we are looking for something else.  Right now I am taking Welbutrin and can't tell that it has any effects, good or bad.  Though I hate dragging into my doctor's office and telling him of something I learned about YET AGAIN on the internet I would like to hear more about how it works for you and any side effects.  (I am up to my neck in sides from the last one we tried.)  Remeron, very evil drug!  Kidding, but it sure did not work for me.  If I spend all week reading up on this site I will go in armed with all kinds of info and after I tell him all the stuff he'll ask me:  Do I get to be the doctor now, or did you get your degree while you were on the internet this week?  He says this with a grin like he is kidding but it make me wonder if they really like an informed patient or if they wish we would just let them pat us on the head and send us on our way.
I LOVED "One flew over the Cookoo's Nest" - both the movie and the book. I remember the scene you describe most vividly. Your life experiences are such a inspiration to me, and I'm sure, most of us here on the forum.  Your description of the leafless tree in the middle of nowhere just grabbed my heart.  I WANT that.  This may sound "new-agey" or whatever - but I'm trying to clear the clutter from my mind to try to recognize opportunities like this; to see the simple beauty of things. I've been writing everyday in a journal for the past 5 days and the words and feelings just flow!  I haven't gone back and reread anything yet; I still feel too vulerable (sp) for that, but I'm trying to get back in touch with feelings I've numbed way too long.  I find I'm scared to death, and I'm trying to come to terms with that.  I've got a long way to go, I'm sure.  Keep posting, hippy - I'm soaking it up like a sponge. Everyone's posts here are so valuable, and I learn a great deal from ALL of them.  Special TY to yourself, Thomas, Chezz, Bodymechanic (where ARE you, anyway?), Oxic (the "other" mangy dog--my sweet percs)...smile - Peaz, Jerri, Suz, Nancy, Jim, Jesse, well, hell - EVERYBODY!!! Guess I'm just feeling really grateful tonight for all of you.  Thanks/Love you, Lisabet
i was on bupirnex for 7 days and tuesday was my last day and evre since then i am still having withdraws. my dealer gave me some soma but that didn't help my legs where jittering out of contron and was thowing up from the pain of them. i went to the ER last night because i couldn't live like this. that was last night and i just took the FIRST ZANEX THAT I WAS PERSCRIBED AND IS HELPING ALITTLE BIT BUT IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANYOTHER SUGJESTIONS PLEASE LET ME .ME DOCTOR IS OUT OF THE OFFICE 'TILL MANDAY
     THANK YOU
        AKIRA
If you have Xanax, you already have the most effective treatment you're likely to get, especially before Monday. Feel better. The Xanax should help a lot.

Thomas
i have so enjoyed reading each and every post on this thread today . . . .i went through a rapid detox . . . was knocked out with 4 different kinds of drugs for 4 days (highly monitored by a caregiver) . . . some say good, some say bad. i was out cold throught the worst of the withdrawls it cost $1000 ~ i was using 4-8 vicodins a day for 18 months paying $5 a piece on the street . . . i thought a grand was cheap, . . . .so far it has worked for me . . . today is my 14th day without any vicodin . . (although my street people are alittle bummed out to say the least . .lol). . ~~~hippie!~~~ i so enjoyed what you wrote about how you feel . . .to wake up without the narcotic hangover is just so wonderful i can't even think of words to express how i feel being off the vicodins . . .. I have a naltrexone implant ~ which i am not sure how i feel about that - after brain started working again and i did some reading on it i certainly hope i don't have any side effects (that was another $400) . .. it's good for seven weeks . . . haven't gotten to an NA meeting, which for me i know is a must, my husband was using as well . . . and it right now going through his painful withdrawls . . .he will not do the rapid detox . . watching him makes my heart break (our kids think he has the flu . . ). . .i for myself am glad i did it they way i did .(they thought i had the flu too) . . the doctor who did the detox said getting you clean will be easy . . keeping you clean is up to you !!!! . . . must go now . . .thank you each and everyone . . so much inspiration. . . . .i hope next time i post i will have been to a meeting!!! . . . .
YES THERE IS!  I quit cold-turkey 3 years ago (from hydrocodone, oxy.,...whatever the opiate du jour...massive doses).  As many of you know, cold-turkey detox is "hell on earth" I was curled in a fetal position for about four weeks, when I wasn't sitting on the toilet.  "When is this feeling gonna go away?!!"..."Will it EVER go away?!!"  Most of you know the feeling where simple things/functions are impossibly hard.             Anyway, I got through it....for two years, until.............a year ago I strained my back, got some pills from a "friend" and through some internet savvy found myself up to 8 norco a day.

Last Thursday I went to my doc and came clean. Hoping to be "weaned", I was disappointed (actually devastated) that my Doc wouldn't take that approach.  After consulting with the resident detox specialist, here's what I was given:

Valium -- 5mg (1-2, three times a day)
Catapres Patch (Clonidine)
Darvocet -- 3 times/day (for pain)
Bentyl -- as needed for stomach cramps
OTC Immodium (for reasons known to most here)

I left the office with major anxiety, being very skeptical that ANYTHING could stave off my impending withdrawals.

I took my new meds, got up the next morning AND PLAYED 18 HOLES OF GOLF!!!!....a business thing I was certain that I would have to cancel.  

I'm just past that 1st critical week, and the worst I've felt is being a little "drag-ass" tired as the day wears on. No diarrhea,cramps, and VERY LITTLE edgyness and dysphoria.

Doc told me that this particular "cocktail" has recently become recognized as an effective detox treatment.  I can wholeheartedly attest to it.

Do yourself a huge favor, and bring it up with your Doctor.  Also recognize the downside in that because this detox has been "easier", the deterrent factor of painful withdrawal isn't there, so the temptation for later relapse is a concern.  

Good luck, I really hope that I've helped.  

well i'm sober. i guess. i have been 3 weeks sober from vicadin. but i went to a follow up yesterday. and my doc. gave me ultracet for my cronic (chronic) pain and clonapin for anxiety. i need you guys to tell me if you think this is safe. i trust my doc. but i don't know if i will abuse it.
The doctor prescribed naltroxene to curve my cravings.  You have to be careful though because it blocks your ability to feel high, so if you do relapse you could easily OD trying to feel high.
i have the naltroxene/revia implant . . .after rapid detox the dotor had to call in script for imflamation (a steriod . . yuck!)of the implant . . it had me a bit nervous to say the least . . he also called in script for 5mg valium . . has help tremendously .i am amazed at how wonderful i feel to feel again, and to feel like a half-way decent mom . . i have two young children, , ,,prior to having the script called in i could hardly sit down .. physically exhausted . . .yet heebie-geebie . . i know ya'll know exactly how i feel. .. was using liquid kava-kava and liquid valirian root along with the mega vitimins suggested in the thomas recipe.. helped some ..., but the script of valium has helped more.. .find myself wanting to abuse them .. so far so good only doing 2 a day . . ..i am 22 days of the vicodin/percocet . . and have finally begun to sleep through the night . TYG..... watched my husband go through "cold turkey detox" (macho man. . who needs no help .. yeah right .. he has 17 days clean . . however . . he has legitimate pain . . he's goin to the internest today (something wrong with the inards. . .we think). . has had chronic back problems for many, many, years . .. after the detox . .. all that pain is back in his back . .. he's thinking about going to pain management clinic . . .anyone have experience with the implant or pain management clinic????? . . .am grateful for the wisdom and humor in this forum . .. thanks to all and any comments and/or suggestions are truely welcome.
PEACE/LOVE/UNDERSTANDING
i tried to quit cold turkey. made it two days and feel like im dying. i have no insurence, is there a non  medical way to kick this hellish feeling??? i need help
You probably didn't notice the date on this but this string was from 2003....post your question as a new string and you'll get lots of help from some great people on here.  
I've been eating about 15-20 Norco (10mg Vicodin) for about 5 years.  Prior to that I ONLY ate 4 7.5mg ES daily.
I am married with 3 kids and have a good job.  I now have pancreatitis that they say usually stems from alcoholism.  I don't drink a drop, I'm confident that the acetametaphine in the Norco/Vicodin is what is causing this.  
The biggest problem I have with quiting is that I really enjoy eating my Norco.  I only eat one and a half or two at a time, but it's like every hour or so.  I want to quit so I don't leave my kids without a dad and my wife without a husband.  I would do anything for my family,and this is quite possibly the most important thing I could ever do for them.
I can't go to a 1 week, much less multiple week rehab- my job would fire me.  My wife of course knows of my addiction and is TOTALLY fed up.  
I tried to quit 2 years ago.  You guys know the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms, so I won't list them.  I made it almost 4 days.  I'm telling you- when I said "hell with it" and took two vicodins, I figured I would feel great.  I did in the since that my withdrawl (withdrawal) pains started to ease, but I felt more like I let my family down then ever before!  
I am a mechanic. I beleive in evaluating a problem, following a procedure for fixing the problem and then moving on to the next problem.  
PLEASE!  I need the procedure.  
I am a 32 year old man, I have always been successful, but I feel like I'm going to fail at this again.  How do I fix this?
PLEASE!
hey... first off, I would repost this as a new post, because you added it on to a VERY old post, and you may get lost in the shuffle..

i don't know what to say because you said your biggest problem is you enjoy them so much...  you really have to want to quit!!!

so... i don't know if you want someone to tell you how to "want" to quit (which no one can.. other than to say you'll probably end up losing your wife.. let alone all the health problems you will face, and sounds like are facing already..)

if you are going to quit, and if you can taper down, that's going to be your best bet.  if you taper, then by the time you are down to 0 your w/d symptoms will be easier.  if not, you can still go c/t from 15-20 - alot of people here have, but you know it is going to suck... but it CAN be done.... like i said, alot of folks have done it ...

search "The Thomas Recipe" up in the search engine above.. it will help.  you'll probably need 3-4 days of being able to do nothing (if you can) to get thru the initial w/d period..  also, i've been told that a b.p. medication called clonodine is amazing for w/d's (altho i have not tried it.)  as well, a bunch of us swear glaceua vitamin water reallyhelps during this time (along with everything else...)

and - if you think you need it - you can go get on Suboxone, which is a drug used to get off of opiates.

i would strongly suggest you get some support too.. whether it be NA or AA meetings, counceling - something.  you gotta really want quit man, and stay quit!

i'm not even sure i answered your question... did i??

i wish you very very well with this...
-mj
Man, I didn't really realize what I REALLY said.  You pointed it out quite clearly- thank you.  I don't want to quit for myself.  I know how stupid that sounds, I don't want to continue destroying myself, but damnit- I enjoy the vicodin.  I think that most of us enjoy our "poison", and I don't think that lying to myself and trying to convince myself that I don't enjoy being on Vicodin will help me prevail.  I want to quit for my family, but you're right- I know that I have to want to quit for myself.

I know that I must sound like a real ***, but I beleive in being honest- at all costs.

So, my question to myself (that hopefully you and others will be able to help me answer):
Is it possible to kick this **** for the benefit of my family, even though I enjoy it or must I convince myself that I don't enjoy it first?

Man, I want to quit this ****.  I do.
THAT i honestly cannot answer...  i'm not a long time abuser with alot of addiction knowledge...

my guess would be no though, to be honest.  i hate to tell you that, but it's what i really think.

and the truth is, alot of us got to where we actually ended up hating it - that love hate thing, cause we really weren't getting"high" anymore, just chasing it - so at the end, i didn't really love it at all.   just maybe 20 minutes of it a day...

i think it's good you're honest, for sure.  but man... if you don't wanna do it for you... maybe the only thing you can pray for at this point is some divine intervention.  something bigger than you stepping in...  i'm not a 12 stepper (not for any reason other than i'm.. not, i haven't been on it a long time..) but even CArl Jung said when it came to addiction (at least alcoholics) he even felt that for most, only that - some sort of "spirit save", was gonna do it.

or you gotta figure out how to want to.  i'm afraid if you don't REALLY want to... you'll just use again.

maybe try some meetings???  ah buddy... that's all i got.  i really don't know.

if you don't get more (better..) feedback too, try reposting again as well..

good luck buddy... i'll be up a bit longer, but i will also be back tomorrow...

again, good luck, this is a good place to come when you wanna quit... seriously.  alotta people to help..

-mj
... nah, you're good now.  just repost again if no one else jumps in here... or in the a.m., in case peeps are gone...

Where should I be posting?  I posted this in a few different spots, since I didn't know.  Could you send a link?
I asked this on another site, then read this one...How does Clonidine work for withdrawals? I'm really curious... is this the only drug that would help with the withdrawals? Where do you go to deal with the reasons you take Lortab or whatever to begin with? What if taking this is the only way to deal with what you face each day? Do you get on an anti-depressant instead? Does this solve anything? Does it help? Does anything really help? Or do you just face reality that life "just sucks" and Hydrocodone helps you get through the days with everyone continuing to admire how strong you are and how well you continue to deal with all of the **** that's in your life? Really, I am curious...
I'm 24 yrs old and terrified.  I've already been to military prison for 2 years for drug related charges while I was serving my country in the Army.  You would think that would be enough to wake a young person up and get there life on track.  I ended up going back to prison for violating my parole for failing a drug tests for opiates (heroin).  Once I got out, I got into a bad car accidents and was prescribed vicidin 10mgs.  I fell in love with them.  It was almost as good as heroin, but not good enough.  After the doc wouldn't give me any more scripts, I called my old heroin dealer again and got strung out again. Eventually, I got fired from my job, dropped out of college and evicted from my apartment.  

I had to call my familiy for help promising I would never touch the **** again.  No one would expect all this by looking at me.  I've been told I just look like the pretty, nice girl next door.  Smart, friendly, athletic... thats part of how I justified my addiction.  I'll quit someday and be successfull like nothin ever happened.  Well, I can say that I haven't touched heroin in almost 2 years but have got strung back out on the vics.  It started at 3-4 a day and is now up to over 10 of the 10mgs a day.  I have to buy them off the street cause no doc will give them to me anymore.  $4 a pill.  I work my *** off at a restarant averaging about $70-80 a day and i struggle finacially barely ably to pay my bills or buy groceries.  All I care about is having enough pills to get me throught the day so I can at least fuction.  I dont even get a high off it anymore and haven't for a long time.  

But here's the good news.  This is day 3 for me without it.  I really dont feel that bad.  Trust me i know what withdrawal feels like.  I did it from heroin twice cold turkey without and other drugs.  But this time I want to stop BAD!  This is not how a 24 yr old should have to live or anyone for that matter.  I want my life back.  The difference this time is I've been taking about 1/2 to 1 mg of xanax twice a day and 1mg right before bed along with nyquil and imodium (immodium).  Im drinking lots of cranberry juice, forcing myself to eat, bathe, and get outside even if for a drive or short walk.  exercise too. it releases the endorphins in your brain that makes you feel happiness and gives you energy.  I honestly have had very little withdrawal symptoms at all this time.  

I planned this out, took a week off work, and have my wonderful boyfriend at my beck and call.  I wouldn't try to do this alone.  Just his unconditional love and support makes me feel better. Well, I remember the second and third day being the most painful from my past withdrawals so I guess I'm pretty much in the clear knock on wood. I've been trying to think of the things I use to do that made me happy before I became addicted and stive for that life again.  I wish you all the best of luck and if I can do it you can do it.  That doesn't mean I'm fearless, I'm still terified.  But I love my job, my apartment, and I'm going back to school to finally finish this time.  I don't want to be alone forever because of a pill bottle.  **** that, I'm stronger than that.  I feel like if I put half the amount of effort doing good things with my life than i did chasing pills I would probably be a millionaire.  I will be praying for eacha nd everyone of you, Just know you're not the only one going through this hell on earth vicious cycle,  That helps me to know.

Peace and Love
Hello everyone, I am currently addicted to vicodin I have been on them for about 4 years and went from 10 a day down to 3-5 a day(es vicodin) I am currently trying to taper off, yesterday I said I was going to quit cold turkey and I stayed in bed all day, well at about 10 pm, I started vomitting real bad, the runs, horrible body aches and I just couldn't do it.. I took 1 and 1/2, I cannot believe I did this to myself, I am a proffesional woman, great job, very outgoing and the vics made me even more outgoing, I felt like I could do anything on them, well in the beginning atleast. Now everything has changed, I am moody, depressed, I don't go anywhere or do anything and I feel like I am going to die inside..My question is if I taper off will it make the withdrawls better? At first I lost so much weight , because I was so full of energy, NOW I gained 30lpds because I don't have the energy to do anything, I am unable to get the supply that I used to get and therefor I am using them just to get by each day.. I never used any drugs before, I am really feel like I am going to die, I cannot afford not to go to work and most rehabs don't take insurance.. HELP.... Will I get back to my normal weight?? I am not sure what to excpect..what to do... noone knows(except my therapist) just told him on Thursday, I told him I was going to go cold turkey on Saturday and I just couldn't do it.. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED... NEEDHELPNY
It's such a relief to find this forum.  I'm addicted to Norco (10 mg Vicodin w/o as much acetametafin) which I was prescribed after three surgeries and chemo four years ago.  I take 4-5 a day.  I want to take more, but I'm only prescribed l50/mo.  It used to feel SOOO good and got me through so much.  Now I hate it.  It controls my life.  My days are centered around when to take the next one.  I'm 58 y/o with a great husband, two daughters and 7 beautiful grandkids, one of whom is my lifeline.  I'm convinced that my love for him is what has kept me alive through four bouts with ovarian cancer.  But even when we're having a magical day at the beach together, I have to reach for my little yellow lifesavers.  I used to take 2 when I got up and 2 six hours later, but couldn't make it through the day, so I switched it to 1 every 3-4 hours.  There's been no high for a long time.  I take it just to feel somewhat normal and jitter-free.

I'm also on Paxil for lifelong depression.  Works great, but I understand the w/d's are hell, so I'm sticking with it.  Xanax helps with cravings, but it puts me to sleep, and I'm sick of spending my life either craving or napping.  

I want out of this chemical prison.  If only doctors knew what they were doing when they prescribe opiates for temporary pain.  I'd rather deal with post-surgical or accident pain than this addiction.

No one has mentioned this, but the constipation is horrible.  That's one thing that keeps me from taking more.   Anyone else with this problem?

My psychiatrist prescribed Catapres, but I could only handle it for two days because it was bringing back the Big D (depression) that I've battled all my life.

I feel your pain, NEEDHELPNY.  I don't think you should try CD because you're just setting yourself up for failure.  You've already done great by getting down to 3-5 a day, about where I am.  My insurance won't pay for detox, either.  It's hell, isn't it?  I'm just glad to find out I'm not alone.
I was taking vicaden (5/500) for 2 months...  I have NO idea how many I went through in the two months but I know it was a lot!  I am on Paxil and my doc gave me some Trazodone and Xanax.  However, I feel light headed when I stand up and dizzy all the time.  I've felt this way since I quit taking Vicoden (same day I started taking Traz and Xanax).

My question is..  do you guys think these are withdrawal symptoms or side affect from the new meds I was prescibed?

My doc was pretty ticked at me and she didn't even know about the Vicoden I was getting from my pain management doctor.  I had no idea they could get info from the pharmacist...I thought privacy laws dictated against that.  As far as I know she didn't contact the pharmacy.  Which is pretty funny since she kept calling in the vicaden when I called... except for that last time.  As it is... I could still get some from my pain management doctor because I haven't called him in at least a month..
Hello and Welcome!

You are new and do not understand that you are posting in a thread from three years ago. Let's start from the beginning.
Go out to the forum. On the top left, you will see "Post a question". Click on that and follow along. Post exactly what you did here. There are lots of ppl here who will answer you and help.

This post will disappear so you have to start a new one.

Hope to see you out there.
Does tapering off Vicodin work? I've been taking Vicodin for years now and I've gone from; well I can't remember how many pills a day to maybe 2 vicodin a day now, at the most, but I'm having problems getting past that marker. It's mainly due to the anxiety and restless nights. It's 1:07 AM right now and the Xanex only let me sleep an hour tonight and I woke up with my skin crawling and axiety so bad that i am up while my wife is asleep, posting a message. I've gotten past the worst of the withdraws I think, the worst thing now is I just can't sleep. Today I got by with only taking 1/2 a Vicodin, and I felt fine all day. When it got close to bed time I felt the anxiety creeping in so I took a few Xanex. It took me about an hour to fall asleep but then I woke up and the anxiety drove me out of bed. Does anyone have any tips on getting through the night? And does tapering off a drug work. I kept consistant and have not taken more than 1 Vicodin at a time and no more than 2 a day for about 4 days now. I thought I was doing good because yesterday I only took 1 vicoden and at bed took a few Xanex and was able to sleep through the night. Thanks for reading.
What is the best way to detox and recover from vicodin?  My new girlfriend is addicted and niether of us have the money for rehab.  Thanks so much.
This is post is quite old. It would be best if you go to the top of this page and hit the post a question button. Start your own. Hope to see you out there.
I have only been taking lortab for three or four months and I quit cold turkey three days ago and feel like I have the flu. How long does this go on and is there anything that can help. I have a two year old and a husband who thinks its mostly in my head. Please someone give me a light at the end of the tunnel.
I have been taking vicodin for over 2 years now.  I was even on percoset then told my paid doctor that I was ready to move back down the chain to wing off. Of course I said that because my 60-90 percoset was out after 5-7 days. I was on Vicodin 10 and now the ES. I would get 120 a month and they would last about 1 week. I take 10+ a day.  I even get into my husbands who does not have a problem and will take from others if I know they have some. Today I have none but have calls to people to see if they have any. I am sweating so bad and my heart is pounding. I also take Effexor EX but I think my regular doc will need to up that if I keep going without. I want to stop but I have so many health issues and paid problems I'm afraid.  I don't want to have any more pain. I'm 35 and have had 12 surgeries in the last 12 years...you're probably thinking..no wonder she got so used to the pills.  Well, any advice will be helpful.
You should start your own post. Sometimes if you post on a older thread it seems to get overlooked. At the top of the page click on "post a question". Just copy and past your post from here and start a new thread. You will be amazed on how much support and encouragement you will get here!
Brian
Thanks for the information. I've never done this before, let alone really admitting my problem. I've said it in around about way but never straight out.
Yes...people often post on these old posts and it is difficult for the peole to figure out what the person needs help with...some on the forum have more experience with certain drugs and would need to reply to your post
thank you
Hello everyone! I am desperate for help!! I am a mother of four and the burdens of everyday life have left me feeling hopeless. After my marriage went bad I developed an addiction to pain medication. It started with chronic pain in my lower back and then developed into mental pain. The medication helps me deal with everyday life. Kids, laundry, daily chores, and trying to keep up in school full time. I have weaned myself from 8 norco 10mg a day to 1 norco 10mg a day and I feel like I have nothing to live for. Although, I know my mind is playing tricks on me I don't know how to get through this addicition without medical treatment. I can no longer get the drugs from my doctor and he refuses to help me with some kind of detox medication. Any suggestions on how to get through this?? I am desperate to stop feeling this pain and depression.
I've taken Suboxone to help me with my heroin addiction.. I still have some left over. Suboxone is a sub lingual tablet that dissolves under your tongue in about 10 minutes. They usually come in 2mg and 8 mg tabs. This pill is seriously a miracle pill. I don't know how I would have gotten through whithdrawal if I didn't have it. It takes away all the aches, runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, yawning, cramping, anxiety, and craving of opiate drugs. Now, as I said, I used it for heroin, it seems that most people asking about it in the forums are taking benzos or things like Valium.. I don't see why it wouldn't work.. but you have to get a legitimate prescription from a doctor.. definitely wouldn't recommend buying it on the streets. Suboxone is a wonder-drug for those addicted to heroin and opiates.

<3
i have been taking about 10 pills of vicodine for well over a year.  i want to quit badly with little withdrlawls.   please tell me how.  I know there has to be something tht works for the withdrawls so  that you can continue to work and life you life through this.  please tell  me what meds would help please.
Hi, you may consider tapering down 1 pill a week till you get clean. Then I'll recommend-even if I have not tried yet- but will do in within a week, the amino acids protocol-located in the health pages- search for it. I believe is a good design of amino acids, multivitamins and mineral that will not only will help you to cope with the withdrawal effects, but will help restore your body and brain to their primary functions.
My experience is not too good I quit tramadol and vicodin 19 days ago and I'm tapering down slowly the xanax and I have been experiencing nasty muscle cramps all over my back, shoulders, neck and even chest, besides a daily migraine, go figures. I really don't know from which medication I quit or am quiting are those withdrawal symptoms, so I can't point out at one medication. Just taper slowly and get into the amino acids. Good luck
Bob
It seems as though, those dependent on Vicodin (or oxy) have to jump through hoops just to get help.  I've done so much reading about Suboxone and firmly believe it could save, what's left to save, in my life but I wouldn't even be able to afford the perscription, even if I was lucky enough to get one because I can't afford the doctor either.  How are people supposed to WANT to stop, if the road to recovery seems just as difficult as the hunt for a few pills to survive the day?  Everyday I wake up to the fear of this being the day the withdrawals are forced upon me because my supplier is out or I'm just flat broke anyway.  Please, whomever in society makes it so hard for us, lighten up with your rules and obstacles so that otherwise good people can help themselves!  If I could get hydro over the counter, I would absolutely taper off.
I think it's a shame that people would go on sub or methadone for vicodin. I know it's an addictive drug but sub is more addictive. If you need something because you just can't stop as harm reduction therapy, I would suggest low dose methadone. But really this is an old post but it talks about brain chemisrty and all this technical stuff and how maybe they will find a cure for addiction. They have been develpoing one drug to cure you from another drug for 100 years now.Heroin formorphine, methadone for heroin, xanax for valium, now sub for everything. I just don't believe in drug solutions all the time for drug addiction.
My husband has been using vicodin/percocet for over a year now and is now trying to come off. I sat down and told him that I was here for him. He could lay in bed for a few days and I would give him tylenol etc for his symtoms (symptoms). I know its hard because i come from a family of addicts.  I wish there was an OTC medicine that could help with waht he is going through. I do know that my conversation helped him more then I even know. I helped give him the strength to stop. If anyone knows something that he can take it would be helpful.
I am addicted to vicoden, im having to quit cold turkey cuz its put me in tylonal overdose,, and has hurt my liver very bad, im only 21.
I am feeling sick and ashamed, im finding myself crying to myself cuz i can not talk to anyone.
I dont know what to do or how to make this withdrawling not so hard. It can kill me if i take more but i cant stand this anymore, and i feel alone.
duck, we have been where you are ,it can get better!!!! This is a very old thread and I dont want  to see it get it overlooked .Why dont you start a new thread .Welcome we are here to help you
Boy can I relate to all of you, I just want to NEVER take drugs again, I'm taking Clonodine, Excedrin, Imodium (immodium) and prozac for my wgd so far very mild but I'm prepared for the worst, I went from 20 vicodin a day to 6 a day to 2 a day now none all in a 3 day span. I'm praying my body doesn't freak out as bad as I've read it might but I'm going to do it!
hello!

i am a nursing student, a former boyscout, and have struggled witht my own addictions.

Theres really 2 choices to get off the vikes. 1. take a week or so off from LIFE no work no school, plan on staying in bed for a week and feeling like ****, then get up and start living without vikes.

2. which is ur best bet, talk to your doctor, my doctor, ANY doctor. They are going to view it as a MEDICAL CONDITION rather than a crime or anything embarassing or bad. They can prescribe something if theres anything to get off it, i would REALLY recommend talking to a doctor and DOING WHAT THEY SAY if you are really ready to take ur life back.

best wishes to you, and dont forget. u DO have support. friends, family, doctors, ME! there ARE people you can turn to! Good Luck.
Thanks to everyone for sharing. I've been on only 3-7 vicodin 5/500 a day for over a year. I have chronic back pain and about every 8 weeks my back goes out and I writhe in pain. But f... it. I can't stand being on this stuff anymore. The euphoria is pleasant and amazing when I am stressed out about something. But I feel like crap all the time and as everyone here knows the euphoria doesn't last long and the bad feelings last much longer. I don't know, maybe I can take some whiskey shots next time my back goes.

I was weaning myself off and on the third day that I only took one 5/500 I got a flu basically, and a lot of other bad feelings, some of which I have never felt before. I took three yesterday and still feel disgusting, so I will probably be feeling awful in about 24 hrs. I suspect I must have had a lot of opiates loaded into my system because it appears I need to be on a lot more than a couple a day to feel normal.

I must not be a terrible addict since I have self control. But, I am still addicted. I used to do smack and coke in my teens. Never really got addicted (lots of my wonderful friends did though and it is wicked sad). Everyone who knows anything about drugs, knows opiates are the finest. Still, if I had a few drinks and was feeling like a retard and someone handed me a bag of smack, I would do a line. As it is, I don't even know where to buy pot anymore. I am basically a successful professional yuppie like many of you. Apart from my notorious back issues, no one would really expect me to be on drugs everyday.

So, again, thanks for helping me not feel so alone here. I am pretty freaked out about the coming days and I am praying and gathering  strength to get through this and I will pray for all of you too.

I have been off Vicodin for the 2nd day now.  I am usinf Fioricet to alleviate the symptoms.  I plan on getting off them after about the 5th day.  I do not like them at all, but they help.  My question is,,,,is this a bad idea?

Nancy
Hi Nancy and welcome to the forum. Wanted to let you know that you should start your own thread. By doing this you will have a thread dedicated to you. Also sometimes these older threads get overlooked so you won't get as many replies. At the top of the page you will see "post a question" in a green box. Just click on that and type away. You could also just copy and paste your post above.

Many will recommend against taking the fioricet as a withdrawal aid. I think it really comes down to if you are an addict or just stopping the vicodin after an injury. But if the fioricet has codeine in it you aren't really making any headway. An opiate is an opiate. Codeine is a bit weaker than vicodin but not enough to where it's worth risking getting addicted to the fioricet. The sooner you cease putting any addictive substance in your body the sooner the withdrawals will be over with. You say you don't like it but that is now. It's all to easy for us as addicts to become cross addicted.  I've read that fioricet withdrawals are worse than vicodin but it is different for everyone. If it were me I wouldn't want to find out.

If you look in the health pages, which can be found in the upper right hand corner of the page, you will find all kinds of information on natural ways to help with withdrawals. Look into the amino acid protocol. It really does help. Also what I thought helped the most was exercise. I know it's hard to muster up the energy to do so but force yourself even if it's just a short walk around the block at first.

Hang in there. You can do this!

Brian
I just want to tell everyone - I too am taking myself off of vicodin addition. For 2 years 5 pills daily, sometimes mixed with other i.e., morphine, flexeril.  I thought it would be easy - nope - cannot take the edgey, uncontrollable antsy, anxious feeling in my entire body like I want to pull all my intestines out! But, I did find help by taking KAVINACE & NATURAL CALM (buy online) - which was prescribed to my husband for extreme panic attacks. This was like a gift from God & I know that this will make me succeed.  Just an FYI for anyone who might want to try it - I don't sell this stuff or have any stake in it's sales - I just used it and thank the dear Lord - it helped tremendously.  It could VERY well help you through also.
What do you mean how does someone take 10-15 vikes a day? It's called an addiction. What don't you get?
Wow, this is an old post for one!  April, 2011.  I understand tough love, but this is a support group!!  
To all of you that are going through this tough time.  Well I myself have been on Vicodin about 14 months.  Like 6 350s a day after my back surgery. So stupid of me I know.  It was such hell when I stopped cold turkey a week ago. Drove myself to the ER and thet helped somewhat. He prescribed Ativan shortvterm for my racing heart anxiety crawling skin. Etc.   I'm finally feeling a bit  normal after a week of flu like symptons. Just hang in there each day is better.  I never knew one could feel so bad from withdrawals
this may sound hard to believe but i have never taken more then 2 vicodin a day....i have been taking 2  750mg vicodine in the morning for 2 years now right after my wifes death...helps ease the pain.....problem is i want to stop taking these 2 pills and get myself clean of vicodin...i am addicted...i cant go too long in the morning without feeling the signs of withdrawal....i read where some folks eat 20 to 30 plus pills a day....i only do 2 and cant get off of them  its probably more psychological then physical but i get all the symptoms...does this sounf crazy or what...ive tried to stop cold turkey only to go running back two or three days later,,,,this time i have 100 pills and im going to ween myself off, hopefully.....take my regular 2 a day for 2 weeks and then go to 1 and a half for three weeks and then go to one a day for 2 weeks and then a half a day till theyre gone and hopefully i will be able to stop altogether....has anuyone else tries to ween yourself off by gradually decreasing the dosage?   or am i just banging my head against the wall....any one who has tried this method is welcome to let me know how it works and if there is a better way to ween myself off of these wonderful but oh so deadly pills.....i just wanna get back to where i was before my wifes death,,,,,any and all responces will be greatly appreciated....thank you in advance,,,,,,***@****    "HELP"
So sorry to hear about your wife passing. It's against forum guidelines for us to give out tapering information but I can say that your plan sounds like a good one. It's a good thing that you have only been taking two a day but I guarantee that eventually you will start taking more and more. It may take another year before that happens but it will happen so it's great that you recognized the problem when you did.

You posted on an older thread. You should start a new thread. Doing so will dedicate a thread to you. It's a good way to track your progress and give you something to look back on.

Be sure to stick around the forum. There are some wonderful people here who will bend over backwards to help you through this.

If you need anything, just ask.

Best of luck.

Brian
I want to tell you that I had been on vikes 10 mg for 6 years, the first few years 6 a day & the last 3 years about 20 a day. Anyway , I found what's called Thomas recipe for withdrawals & it worked. While it didn't take all the WD symptoms away, it really really helped. And after about the 5th day , I started to feel much better. The recipe can be found on Drugs.com, good luck!! Charlotte
Hi. I have stage IV endometreosis and have had two laprascopic surgeries to have it removed. After the procedures my doc priscribed (prescribed) vicodin for the pain. It's been 6 years and I'm totally addicted. I've gone to so many measures to keep up with the supply. I'm so tired of it and want to quit badly but don't know what to do. I'm trying to taper off as we speak. Still uncomfortable, though not as bad as going cold turkey like I tried last week. My only problem is my endometreosis is so progressed that I have unbearable pain with it. On the one hand I want to quit the vicodin and on the other I know I will need to take it again because nothing else works. I don't want to be stuck with addiction for the rest of my life but I don't know what to do. I need it even when I don't have pain. It's the worst feeling in the world. Just thought I'd contribute since it was so comforting to hear everyone else' stories. Hope you all succeed in your road to freedom.
Hi all. I just have a few words.
What worked for me the first time i stopped.
My surgeon gave me muscle relaxers and klonopin.
I had no wd at all after about 4 years @ 8- 10/325 norco's a day.
Then more surgery and back on the pills. I'm doing it myself this time because my doc thinks i will have to take pain meds the rest of my life.
I'm here to tell you.  WRONG!  First thing is the mind.   Convince yourself that life is way better without the pills. Don't just tell yourself that it is.
Stay strong and you can get there.