ADDICTED TO VICODIN AND OXYCOTIN AND PREGNANT
Hello, well I really don't know where to start but here goes I have been abusing prescription pain pills for 3 years now. I have got off of them for a few time only to find my self back on.I recently found out that I am currently pregnant.4 months along and before i knew I was pregnant i was up to 8o miligrams of oxycotin a day as soon as I found Out I came down to 4 or 5 vicodins (7.5). and I occassionally still take the oxycotin when I have no more vicodin. has any one had any experience with oxy. and vicodin while pregnant. or even if you have some supportive advice. I have been to this site before and met some really great people that gave me great support and helped me to get clean and I stayed clean for 3 months I really need support. I carry around alot of guilt for what I migh have done to my unborn child. but I also have alot of faith in God.I get a ultrasound next month and I am so scared of what I might see.

Ms.Esha
You doc will have to decide that for you.. Generally that means as prescribed so 1 every 4-6 hours.
i am one month pregnant a taking vicodin for terrible pain in my knee. i cant see having to stop to have a baby. i am not taking them for recreational use, i really need them to get through the day without too much pain. what should i do?
can i take it throughout  my pregnancy?
LULU--
Yes if your doctor approves you can continue taking them while pregnant. They know how to deal with this. 50% of babies are born with some addiction. the doctors will treat and monitor the baby after birth. The placenta protects the baby for the most part. It is rare that there are any serious complications.. and that is usually with harder street drugs like heroin and cocaine or even methodone.

Shawt--  You need to get into a treatment program for preganant woman ASAP... NO you cannot go cold turkey but I would not go the methodone route either.. Babies with methodone addiction is not a great thing. Find a treatment facility that you can go to to medically detox you safely..
Ok i just found out im pregnant and im am addicted to oxy's roxi's and heroin. I shoot it up and its alot. I snort them to whatever will get me high ive been tryin to get clean but i do anywhere between 15 to 20 pills a day. I know i cant stop just cold turkey but would bein in a methadome clinic taper program be any better? I dont want to loose my baby or have any complications and im scared to death i've kicked this habit once before and i was clean for a year but now ive been back on it for about 8 months... what do i do?!
Thanks  for your input. How do you know so much? My thing is..Is there really a Doc out there thats gonna say "okay,take pain medication while your pregnant"...even if it IS LEGITIMATE. I thought I was pregnant awhile back so I weaned down to 1 or 2 a day. But with bad pain came worse depression so I tried an anti-depressant...Wellbutrin. So then I was not only in pain from hardly any pain meds , I also felt like  murdering myself from a bad reaction to the Wellbutrin!!!!!
What I am trying to say is that I have tried everything else and the pain medication works for me. No side affects. What can I say to my doctor on tuesday that will convince her. I have ALL of my records of knee surgerys and knee replacement.
Thanks for your support
I gotta tell ya. I dont know you guys but it feels good just to get it out. I feel so guilty.
Like I said before lots of women take it while pregnant and even get it prescribed by their OB's while pregnant.. being in pain also is not great for the baby so taking something to control it is better.. You shouldn't need to convice your OB..
thanks for your imput i really appreciate it. I cant talk to my family about it because they dont know that i relapsed. I went to the clinic the other day and i have a pelvic infection which caused my test to come out negative. i just hope everything is okay
hey its lulubella are you there? i went to my OBGYN and told her that I am taking vicodin for chronic knee pain. was is it with this medication? dont people realize that some people really do use it for what it is  for? anyway, she asked me how many a day and i told her "as directed". so i take one in the morning, one in the early afternoon,  one late afternoon and one before bed. she said she wasnt familiar with norco but we would talk more about it in two weeks when i go back. she said as long as your taking it sparinlgy. Is that sparingly? i am sooo upset but continue to be in pain. i dont know what to do.
yes taking it as directed is sparingly... 4 per day is a low normal dose.. I wouldn't worry hun.. You did the right thing by talking to your doctor..
what will that "as directed " amount do to a baby in the belly? will it be addicted? born addicted?
There is a 50% chance of physical addiction to the baby. Alot of women I have seem post said there babies didn't have any at all..and were healthly.. The placenta protects the baby from stuff like this.. There is higher chance of addiction with heroin or methodone.. a much lower chance with pills like you are taking. If and I do mean a big IF.. your baby was born addicted.. it would be a small amount and just cause fussiness and trouble sleeping.. The doctors monitor the baby for this. And they have a protocol for how to handle it..
I know you are worried.. I would be too.. However.. you being in pain will put much more stress on the baby than the pills will. And stopping the pills will put too much stress on the baby. Trust your doctor and stay at a low dose.. You are not an addict. You are a dependent person that needs pills for better quality of life. Free from pain.

If you need to talk.. my email is in my profile.. just click on my screen name its blue
I was on pain meds during all my pregnancies.  My last pregnancy my OB had me on Norco 10s and said I could take it every 4 hours.  When I was going through really bad pain he even said 3 hours was okay.
I am wondering if someone can help me out?   I know someone who has custody of there grandbaby right now because the daughter in law said she was taking tylenol with codiene but the drug tox on the baby came back with cocaine.  Does anyone know if these are in the same family and would they test the same in the baby?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Can anyone tell me how long it takes for hydrocodone to leave your body to past a drug test?
Sounds like someone needs to start using again. You know who you are !
Cocaine and Codeine are completely different drugs. If the baby tested positive for cocaine (or the metabolite of cocaine), the mother would have had to have done it a day or two before the birth. It depends on the test. A mecomium test is more accurate for testing past drug use in the baby, a urine is the most simple and can be done at any hospital; meconium tests are more expensive and harder to access.  If the woman was only taking tylenol with codeine there would be no cause for alarm as this drug is routinely prescribed for pregnant women with pain (I broke my tailbone in pregnancy and was on tylenol #2). It the mother was only taking codeine and she was doing nothing wrong, then they would not be testing in the first place. They would have to specifically test for cocaine so they must have had suspicions or cause to believe the mother was abusing drugs. To answer your questions: no, they would not test the same. Someone  is not being straight with you. I hope that helps and I hope the baby and mother are ok.
i need some help i am very worried i broke my foot and ankel at 19 weeks i am now 30 weeks pregnent i have been taking about 3 10/325 percsets a day since it happened if i stop takeing them now will my baby be born addicted
you posted on a really old post!  You should be okay - your baby may have mild withdrawal but as long as you tell the hospital about the medication, which was perscribed to you, they will know to watch the baby for withdrawals (they do something call Finnegan scoring and if it's high they taper morphine to prevent w/d in the baby)
Good LUck!
HOW SAFE IS METHODONE TO WITHDRAW FROM HEROIN WHILE PREEGNANT OR SHOULD I TAKE VALIUM?
help,im scared, 4 months pragnet and i used roxys. in the first11 weeks i was doing no more then 70mg a day and and between 12 wk to 16 weeks i did no more then 30 mgs i been with out for 2 days and plan on stayen clean, im worried about the baby being down syundrum or some thing plz all pray for this soul. thanks
I've been on vicodin for about 2 years. I take 3 to 6 (7.5mg) a day sometimes more depending on the day. I just found out i'm  pregnant
i have't went to the Dr. yet but i'm about 4 wks. I have heard its bad for the baby to go cold turkey. HELP want should i do. I'm going to go to the Dr.and ask him but i just wanted to find out what other people have done about this problem. Thank you!!
you have posted on a really old thread. i send you a private message.
I am a certified FASD educator (Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders)  I have been lisitening to prenant moms cry out for help espeically for their unborn baby.  I counsel pre/post natal mothers everyday on the dangers of consuming alcohol and drugs during pregnancy.  I have witnessed the devasting-life time effects on babies.  A baby is a gift from god and he trusts us with these gifts; to love, care and nuture our children.  Introduing these fetus to crack, cocaine oxycotin, perocets and whatever your choice of drug is ALL totally wrong.  Don't rely on the placenta to screen out drugs - it all ready has an important job to do - drugs can break down the placenta also.  Baby exposed to alcohol/drugs will have a life time of complications - their brains will be robbed of precious neurotransmitters and they will be faced with a life time of learning challenges.  Did you ever see a baby de-tox themselves when born addicted to drugs - its not pretty it the scareist thing I have ever witnessed.  These babies are in some much pain its just so unimaginable!!!   Please if you need advise or help let me know.  When you see your doc and he prescribes these drugs ask him what effect will it have on your baby.  Actually in the first place he shouldn't be prescribing naractoics to pregnant moms.  If you have pains ask your doc to referr you to a massage clinic or orthpedic speicalist so that they could give you relef opposed to drugs.  Its only for 9 months and your healthy well nourished addicited-free baby will thank you for the rest of its LIFE!!!!!
hi, i looked up vicodin and it said that it can cause birth defects especially cardiovascular in babies if taken in the first trimester of preg. Has anyone heard of that?
im 36 weeks pregnant and getting ready to deliver anytime. ive had alot of pain in my pregnancy and it is a high risk pregnancy, because my cervix was incompitent from a few cervical cancer surgerys. im been on vicodin the whole pregnancy, prescribed by the doctor. can it hurt my baby or can social services take it from me? i am a grest and loving mother. in 5 days the doctor is taking out my cerclage, which is the stitch in my cervix, and ill probably go into labor. will the hydrocodone be in my babys system if i stop now and will they take my baby?
Hi. I don't have any experience with vicodin. But I was in a similar guilt-filled situation. My twin daughters had just turned one, done breastfeeding I started smoking cigarrettes and pot. A few months later we found out we had a suprise pregnancy. Stress of two babies and thought of another on way definately increased both my habits. my husband and I were overwhelmed, not sure if we could hand another, emotionally, finacnially etc! He and I had long hard conversations about what to do. He would say, you want to have this baby but you are slowly killing it with cigarettes! Ugh. Knife through the heart! Several months went by and we decided to keep it. During that time I smoked a lot! Of everything. Of course I hid this from everyone, even my husband. I hid behind my car in a parking lots so noone would see me. I felt so guilty. I needed to quit of course, but couldn't. Easy to stop the smoking weed, but cigarrettes I could not. I read about what it does to the baby, didn't stop me. Had nightmares, didn't stop me. I lied to everyone. Finally I asked a doctor I hadn't seen before (and never wanted to see again!) what to do. I broke down. I needed help big time. He sent me to a specialist (a pulmonologist who did smoking cessation) and put my embarrassment, guilt aside and begged for her help. So hard to do! Felt like biggest piece of white trash ignorant mom before but she knew about addiction and didn't judge me. She came up with a plan using wellbutrin, patch and support groups (didn't go because I would have been only one preggers-how dumb is that ***** everyone would say? The combo and dosage and time period was made so that we limited amount wellbutrin baby got. Better to have this med than whole pregnancy of nicotine.

Guess I want to say that there may be a doctor/nurse practioner who can help you with how to do it safely for you and your baby. TerriT's post above is all good info, but I am sure you know that its harmful. What is really needed is someone who understands addiction and will treat that for you and the baby...nonjudgementally! Not sure who that would be for vicodin, maybe a doctor at a rehab/addiction treatment center. Most of them have been there and won't make you feel like a baby killer or a terrible mom!! Believe me that is not helpful to someone who struggles with this kind of addiction. It has the opposite effect I think. And that makes you feel bad...do moe drug, smoke more cigarretes, lines etc.

You are a good mom just for wanting the help! There will be a thousand times when you will fail or make mistakes as a parent. Its how you deal and learn and change that really matters. You can do it. But proper, nonjudgmental support and guidance is key!

After a lot of worries about my baby even after I quit, he was born at a normal birth weight and 100% healthy. I thanked God for putting such key people in my life to stop earlier rather than later. Hang in there. I know it won't be easy. Its your first big parenting challenge...you ar eup for it!
I was addicted to herion which is similar to vicodin/oxycotin when i was pregnant. Actually I went back and forth from that to suboxone which is a ************** for opioid dependence. I stayed on suboxone throughout my pregnancy lowering the dosage as i went. by the end i was on  .5 mgs which is the smallest dosage you can be on and my baby was born healthy with no withdraws. Maybe you could even get completely off it before it is born. Most doctors will tell you to that methadone is the preferred treatment for pregnant moms but I think it is a harder drug. It's almost like a sedative - passing out all the time. There is not alot of research on suboxone and pregnancy and I'm not saying that it is the choice for everybody. By all means clean sober pregnancy with no drugs of any kind is the best. Most antidepressants cause major heart deffects in babies. I'm just telling you my experience. I was petrified by the whole sittuation when i found out i was pregnant on drugs. Now that i had my baby, life has changed and I don't want drugs. for the first time in years i don't want drugs. All i want is my baby's smiling face and a normal life. I am happy.
if you r  legally perscribed how in the world will the child be taken away i to found out im pregnant and now i have to taper down but my doctor said i can stay on my pain meds through whole pregnancy i dont want to i hope the best for all who are going threw this and realy need advice prayers and someone to talk to i mean it is scary and i feel like it can cause damage to a infant so im trying my best to taper and quit hope to find some friends here who knows what  im going through thanks
im 5 weeks pregnant and i take anywere frum 2 to 4 roxys a day if i just stop takin them will it hurt my baby or will my baby go thru wds im scared an i dnt know what to do about this
Hi I was reading yur post and thought id give u some feedback! My doc actully prescribed me vicodin for migraines. I have no scientific proof to back this up, but before the beginning of doctors knowing what was safe and what was not. Pregnant women were not restricted to drink or do anthing that thy claim harmful now. Everytime I do research I've NEVER found anything negative as to alcohol and marijuana use! Hope that helped! I know I didn't have much medical proof to back it, have faith and you baby will be fine!:)
I was on Morhine sulfate during my pregnancy with my 5th child, y Drs kept me on th meds cuz they were afraid the withdrawls would of caused me to loose the baby. When she was born 2 weeks early she was born addicted & they had to keep her in the hospital for a month & wean her off with liquid methadone, Today she is a healthy happy & beautiful 6 yr old but it was probablly the hardest & most painful thing I have ever gone through in my life watching what it did to her, & not being able to bring her home right away. If anyone out there that is using & is pregnant find a way to get help, to get off or something, It will be the hardest thing in the world to watch your baby go thru something so violent because of what we ourselves are doing, If you can slow your intakes & wean yourself off while pregnant even better, but depending on everyones usages etc everyone is different & the outcome can be worse if not deadly to your child. I pray for all of you that you & your children will recovery safely with no long term affects. Just know what your getting into & whats ahead for you & your babies. Good Luck.
Let me tell you my nephews story and how I found this site:  I came to this site looking for information that might help my nephew. I have custody of him due to his mother being an oxicotin/methodone addict. She has admitted doing oxicotin (about 40 mg day) while pregnant. She was actually smaller at nine monthspregnant than she was before getting pregnant. When the baby was born he was very skinny but long. He did not like to be touched, had cying tantrums that were simular to collic symptoms but we now iit was withdrawals. This was 6 years ago and before babies were tested. Now in Alabama new borns are tested for opiants and DHR is called if they are found in the infants system. In most cases, the babies are taken from Mothers and put in relatives homes or foster care but  in some cases they are left with the mothers. It all depends on the circumstances. In my nephew case it took 4 years for DHR to take him. He now has ADHD symptoms but also has quite a few symptoms of other disorders. He is a beautiful child (10 finger/10 toes and the longest eyelashes you have ever seen on a boy.) He is very moody, He throws tantrums for no reason. He gets aggressive at times. He lies, steels and is very sneaky. His symptoms are way more bazzar than I can explain. He has been to 2 Dr's. a psychologist and in January will go to a child psychiatrist. So in answer to your question, "heck yes, opiants causes children to have very serious issues". Please stop slowly and stop for good. Please don't bring another addicted child into this world. It is painful enough to live "normal" if there is a true normal but it's not fair for kids to suffer because of their parents addictions. From investigating my nephew's problems and knowing other kids with similar problems, I have found that most become teen addicts and suicidal. It also does not help the children when they are taken from their mothers homes. They get very insecure and that causes problems also. But it is also bad for the child to live with an addicted mom because they become the caretakers and go into a survival mode that causes issues as well. I've been researching Attachement Disorders and believe that  my nephew's symptoms are very similar.  I'm so concerned for my nephew. I hope he does not become a statistic. As long as I'm breathing I will be looking for ways to help him.  
i am also addicted to vicoden i take 3 to 4 at a time and maby 3 or 4 times a day. I have been taking them 4 a few years and now i am 4 months pregnant. I have tried to stop bc i am scared of what could happen. When I tried it was like I couldnt do anything I dont want to move I am just drained and in a bad mood constantly.Even at night its like my body spasems or something I dont know how to explain it but it doesnt feel good and i have to curl up into a ball. I am scared to tell my doctor because my best friend said they will  take my baby and the 1 I have he is 2. I am a single mom and I work 3rd shift so its like they gave me the energy I need. I cant lose my babys I am really scared I am going to try to stop cold turkey but i know it will be hard. I jus became dependant bc they made all my problems go away when i lost my other job of 5 years i was buying a house n car n i owned my own furniture everything was perfect..well i lost my job bc my mom nor sons dad(he was 5 months) would watch him and i pointed out..after i lost everything every1 abandoned me and i jus started taking them n they made me feel better now i have another house and car and just paid off my tv and furniture but i am still struggling with this, my friend says im depressed and i believe i take them to feel better but i dont know what to do bc i feel like i cant function wo them, it does not effect my son tho he is well taken care of he has everything and anything i have *** a long way for my baby i even worked 2 jobs 4 his bday and x mas i jus now i have a problem and i am really  scared ne advise?
Well I don't know where y'all are from but I am a mother of three and pregnant with my forth I am on oxycodone and I was on it my last pregnancy.I'm from NY but my last pregnancy I tried to wean myself off because I was afraid of harming the baby every ob even high risk Dr told me it was not allowed to be taken while pregnant the would stop me cold Turkey but I had very bad withdrawal but I had enough of my old prescription to make it threw I started to wean my self off but was still getting very sick to the point I was hospitalized then finally I changed ob and she sent me to a pain doctor and the pain doctor told me I was crazy for trying to wean my self off and she asked me why I was doing it I told her I didn't want to hurt baby she said I was doing more harm and that the baby would be OK and that the baby would be a little. Sleepy when born but the meds. Would be out her system in few hours all and all my daughter is fine she actually was more advanced than most babies her age when it came to certain mile stone like sitting standing talking etc very active little one going to be 2 April 2011
I am sorry your going through all the addiction stuff.I to am an addict of opiots and I to am pregnant.it is not a joke at all! I deal with it everyday.I take vics as well.If u can it is important to stay away from the oxy.I take a few vics a day to not be sick.some days it feels like its not cutting it so I take a couple more.I talked to my doc about it and trust me u can get help.it is hard and I feel ime being tosted around all the time to different people.I use to take WAY more suff than just vics but I stopped everything else the day I found I was pregnant.it does help to no that ime not alone and I hope the best to u and your new baby!:-)
Someone please help me im pregnant and addicted to perks i want to stop but the pain is real bad plus the pregnant sickness i need help im very depressed
I love this post. you inspire me with your unconditional love and support. I am 1 month pregnant and desperately trying to muster up the courage to start weaning off opiates. I have tried several times, even got on subutex for a while, but could never handle withdrawal and always went back.  When you said God is protecting her baby with light, i felt it in my heart that that is absolute truth. I am always afraid of judgement, only my husband knows of my problem. I thank God for people like you and all these others who give only love. Thank you for brightening my night.  
It is more than likely that the child would only be removed from the mother if and only if she was a danger to her self or the baby because of the addiction. People do take pain pills while pregnant for legitimate pain and are instructed to do so by their doctor. By no fault of their own an addiction may form because of this but this does not mean that the child will be taken as a result.The mother's who are cold hard addicts and have nothing to offer the child may experience issues with Children's Protective Services. There is a major difference between a mother who feels trapped and hopeless to her addiction and a mother who uses with out remorse and has made no effort to quit. Generally this is an obvious observation for the hospital staff to make.

If quitting were easy there would not be sites like this.
i have 2 children and one one the way. i was on vicoden with both of my children and this one as well. my first 2 were just fine. I have been on it for many years. I have pancriantitas and massive flair up with many other associated problems. im on about 4 a day. I see specialists as well. i have been in the hospital with this baby a few times for different things and they come back and say we found an opiate and i tell them what for and why..and they show no concern of any..i read all these posts about babies being taken i would guess thats for women that they dont know are taking them right?
You guys are so sweet!  Could you please give me your thoughts on my familys situation.  We are all very close and don't have any birth defects in our family.  We tend to stick to diseases.  I have Lupus.  Anyway, my cousin had two normal children while living here in our home town.  Her husband was in the chemical business (sales office for the first two children) and was later asked to move to the corporate office about 3 hours away.  About a year or so after the move, my cousin got pregnant.  She had some dental work done and not knowing she was pregnant, took a (1) loritab.  

The trisomy baby was born with Cereal Palsy and many other things.  I don't remember the # on the chromosomes when things went wrong ... but she blames herself due to the dental work and the loritab.  From what I can tell, statistics point to the father & chemicals.  Not that it really matters, that little girl is a scream and we love her to death!  I would like to help my cousin with the guilt.  Not really by shifting blame to daddy-O, which is not the way to handle any problem.  But, given the fact that he handled all this by cheating on her and divorcing her, I don't think she needs to be concerned about his thoughts on the matter.  He will never know that she blames his job and she could get some much needed relief from letting go of the guilt.

The child is now 12 and has already been to a dance with a normal boy because he said her smile and red curly hair made him love to be around her ... she's such a flirt!  She's on the cover of most local CP magazines.  She's ALL THAT!!

So, as for my cousin's guilt ... butt out???  butt in?  They had all the test run years ago & they were not conclusive.  What do U think?  Thank you so much for your thoughts!!  :0)

Pull5711
You posted this on an old thread, so it is hard for it to be seen.   If you want to post a question, please start a new thread, but I will give you my unofficial advice as to one loratab causing the little girl's birth defect.   No.   It didn't.

I wouldn't even blame the father and chemicals.   Whatever the reason....sometimes we just don't know the reasons....it does no good to blame ourselves or anyone.   Sometimes God just has different plans for us.

I would butt out.   At this stage of the game, it is a moot point.  Love the little girl as she is, and treat her like any other human being.   If your cousin needs to research the cause of the cerebral palsy, it is up to her to do it on her own, or with her doctors.
On the bottom of the face page
empress, while very helpful the person you are talking to hasn't posted in 9 years.
Pls. Tell me your story. My girlfriend is addicted to vicodin with my first child she takes anywhere from 10 to 12 (7.5)mg a day. It's still early enough to abort. But, I really want my child. Pls help if you can?
I'm currently 4 days past my due date and I have a half broken tooth, the pain was so unbearable I self medicated a half norco...I'm not covered by any insurance so I can't just go to the dentist or doctor, I'm extremely worried about the doctors thinking I'm an addict...the pain is still there but not as severe I believe it's an infection/abscess under the half broken tooth, what I'm trying to get at is....do you think CPS will get involved
Are you a doctor/nurse? Do you work for childcare services? If not, please stop stressing this poor woman out. You shouldn't post such horribly scary things to a mother to be. She isn't a severe heroin addict nor is she in ANY way a bad person. A woman in her condition will not have her baby taken away. It just wont happen. There is a TON of legality involved in such a situation and for a woman on 5-6 10 mg. a day, it isn't a HUGE deal.

Just ween off. You have a little time to get clean. Use it wisely. cut your pills into quarters and start there. Take 1 quarter less every 2 days. You'll be off in no time! BUT STAY AWAY FROM THE OXY'S! Get rid of them some how. They will not help you ween off b/c a 40mg Oxy will give you the "high" of about 5-6 Hydro. you want less. not the same and certainly not more. Good Luck!