Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
ADDICTED TO VICODIN AND OXYCOTIN AND PREGNANT

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hello, well I really don't know where to start but here goes I have been abusing prescription pain pills for 3 years now. I have got off of them for a few time only to find my self back on.I recently found out that I am currently pregnant.4 months along and before i knew I was pregnant i was up to 8o miligrams of oxycotin a day as soon as I found Out I came down to 4 or 5 vicodins (7.5). and I occassionally still take the oxycotin when I have no more vicodin. has any one had any experience with oxy. and vicodin while pregnant. or even if you have some supportive advice. I have been to this site before and met some really great people that gave me great support and helped me to get clean and I stayed clean for 3 months I really need support. I carry around alot of guilt for what I migh have done to my unborn child. but I also have alot of faith in God.I get a ultrasound next month and I am so scared of what I might see.

Ms.Esha
As with Heroin, the drug itself will not deform the baby, but it will leed to low birth weights and a baby addicted to opioids. You need to seek expert help to get clean and stay clean if you cannot do it yourself. A baby addicted to opiates/opioids is not a pretty site and family services will possibly remove the child to foster care. I hope you can get clean and stay clean, As for the baby it will have 10 fingers and 10 toes, but needs a mother that is mentally capable of giving it all it needs. Also avoid quiting cold turkey while pregnant, you will need to taper. I hope this is of some help and if anyone is more knowledgeable please give this girl the information she needs. All the best to you all.
First and foremost: DO NOT STRESS OUT. That is the worst thing for you and the baby. Abrupt withdrawls will stress you out. Ignor the last post- family services will not "possibly remove the child to foster care". 4-5 Vicodans/day is a managable habit to withdraw from SLOWLY. You have a wonderful reason to do it now and it can be revolutionary for you.Think- a healthy baby and no drug habit! If you come off the Vics in one month (reduce by one per week), the baby should be just fine and you will be able to focus on enjoying your pregnancy guilt free. I'm no doctor but your habit is small and I have a friend who was prescribed Tylenol #3s for severe back pain while pregnant. Mind you, I don't know what trimester she was in at the time and the first trimester is the most crucial. You must have known you were pregnant for quite a while if you're 4 months along. I hope you take it seriously- You MUST come off the vics. You will feel great afterwards and you should have had an ultrasound by then. That MAY tell you if the baby is OK.
All the best, Robyn.
By the way, stay the hell away from the Oxycontin...it stays in your (and the baby's) system longer. Good luck and start reducing your Vicodan intake NOW.
nogods post is not ot be ignored!He is only saying that if you do not get help this may happen and trying to help you.Your baby will be ok as long as you get the drugs out of your system now!It wont have any withdrawal when born or be deformed in anyway.As long as you get off the pills and take care of yourself now you and baby will be ok.If you can not do this on your own then ask Dr. for help but get off of them NOW!!NO one is going to take your baby for asking for help.Its if you dont get help that raises a ? So please if you cant do it get help. Jerri
Thany you for the advice it was very comforting. I have some other concerns and just need some one to talk to so if you would please email me @ ***@**** that would be so helpfful I have some person things to discuss.
Again thanks to you and everyone else.
Ms. Esha
Sorry to butt in, but a certain Canadian used up all the posts on our thread ...

pepsi4: hey, you don't owe us a thing! Quit, splurge, taper, or relapse -- we're here for you (and for a small fee, we'll be THERE for you). Whether it feels like it or not, the giving and getting of support is an even exchange.

I agree that, with guests decending upon you, now would be a terrible time to go cold turkey. 'Fact is, you'd never make it through the weekend. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to act emotionally "up" and play the good host when you're dying by inches inside. You need to detox when and where you can feel free to act just like you feel. As for the Valium, it's just a suggestion. You should always do what you decide is best for you. Enjoy your guests. We'll be around.

Thomas
Ignore my post and she will lose not only her child, to a foster home, but the joy of bringing up a happy, healthy baby, a baby not addicted to opiates and sooner or later her self-respect. And what gives you, Robyn Banks, the right to tell her to ignore my post? Self medicating opiates will draw the attention of family sevices in my country and she should be informed of this not only to be informed and fore-warned but as a extrinsic motivation for quiting opiates and opioids for her and her childs wellbeing. I suggest to you to pull your head in, as in my case I am an addict of opiates and I know the real willpower, extrinsic motivation, intrinsic motivation and external help it will take for her to get clean and stay clean. I know addicts that have lost their child (born addicted) and have had to battle to get them back once they were clean.
The truth of the matter is the baby physically will be normal other than addiction the opiates. The sad truth is will the knowledge of that be enough for this woman to stay clean? I suggest to you not! (knowing from being an addict myself). The fact that she will lose her child to family services if the baby is born with an active addiction may just be enough persuasion to keep her clean. For her and her babies sake I hope it is enough to keep her clean.
Yes Thomas, codeine wd is morphine wd.  It is just on a much lower scale than your average morphine wd....tolerance wise.  I agree with the valium thing.  A four to five day detox is not going to get you hooked.  I survived a couple.  I don't use benzos now nor have I ever had withdrawals from them.  Just never got into them.
Hey guys - the thread we were writing on is closed, so I'm weaseling in on this one.
First of all - Jesus Christ, you both are such lechers...I'm SO totally offended by your comments...(but, uh - listen, guys, will let you know when I go on my valium/ambien binge...)heh-heh.  As for you Thomas, how the hell did you know I attended Sex Addiction Anoymonous?...smile.
Seriously, Thomas, I read your previous posts (It may have been Golden, but I'm not sure), about getting up during the night in your sleep and raiding the fridge.  It made me remember experiences very much the same. When I was younger, and would go out and drink with friends, after I came home and went to bed, I can remember so many nights standing in front of the refrigerator sucking down a coke.  Also, when I was abusing Nyquil, many moons ago, I would get up in the middle of the night, half asleep, and just INHALE Little Debbie Swiss Rolls. Always after these binges, I would wake up with a really funky, "metallic" taste in my mouth.  Any insights to this?  Was it due to low blood sugar, or what? I never experienced this anymore, even when I was drinking several shots of Jack Daniels a night just to go to sleep.  I've wondered a lot about this.  
Well, Goodnite to both of my perverted friends, whom I love so dearly.  I've got to go back to work full time next week so probably won't have as much time to post, but if ya need me e-mail me anytime @ ***@****.  Love you guys, Lisabet
I dont think anyone has the right to tell anyone to ignore anothers post!!!Most all people here, are here to help others and share information. Have you Robyn, ever seen a baby born addicted to crack, opiates, benzos ect? If the baby could talk you may think different...If the fear or losing her child gets her clean, then I'm all for scaring her, for the health of her child that has no choice, but to consume the opiates MsEsha irresponsibly chooses to feed her unborn fetus, after 4 months without a period!.. Yes, I agree that you don't wan't to thro the mom and baby into acute w/ds, and to stay away from the o/c, but should the truth be hidden! Nogods said,"possibly". MrsEsha this is not all directed at you!! You do need to taper as R/B said and get clean as soon as possible. Maybey I'm taking this wrong but are you looking for reassurance here to take opiates/narcotics (even small amounts) all thru your pregnancy? Hope not. I, as others wish you the very best to get clean as soon as possibe. You sound like a very loving mother to be! Please don't let my comments to others keep you from posting, we all love you here!!! Love, hugs, friends ...afriend....smile, you can do it and your baby will be fine. Remember, you make the choices, to use or not to use, not your faith in GOD......
OK,  I see your point...i was wrong about 'ignoring the whole post'  BUT DO IGNOR THE PART ABOUT FAMILY SERVICES(the info is a load of ****).I don't believe in scaring someone into quitting.  It doesn't work and sometimes can just a stress a person out.  Why are you trying to stress out a pregnant women if you 'care' so much? There is nothing wrong with an objection to information posted. Jesus, Christ! Its all opinions here. Do not take offence, if i offended you Ms Esha... I'm sorry .
I can understand you not wanting to stress Ms. Esha out it is true that is the last thing a pregnant woman needs but where I live in CT when you deliver your baby, the hospital has the legal responcibility of reporting this to the appropriate authorities. They are actually mandated to do so. This is definitely true, I know for a fact it is being done right here in my town. So scare her or not it is inevitable, this will most likely happen unless she can hide it from them. And I wouldn't advise that for the baby's health. We all want what is best for both the mother and baby so lets try to help her get through this.  Ms.Esha- If you want to talk regarding any of this I will be happy to try and help-***@****
I have to agree with shanover. I live in colorado, and in  this state, if a child is born addicted to a substance and or alcohol, proper authorities are contacted and the child CAN be released to the state. So, msesha, if you are not sure what the laws in your state are, I wouldn't risk it!!! A child is TOOOOOO precious. A child is toooo innocent. A child is the true definition of unconditional love. My advice would be, LOVE THAT CHILD.

be safe
linda
Sorry to interrupt this thread, but the other thread was used up....  Well, I decided to wait until next week to quit -- I was getting so stessed out about going through the wd and playing perfect hostess, that I ended up using some hydros last night and today.  I'm not too bummed out, though.  When I quit drinking, it took a few tries.  I didn't have to lose my job or family or friends to quit, btw -- although I was told by some AA folks that I just hadn't "bottomed out" and would be drinking again soon...but that's another topic....  In any case, it's very handy to have Thomas's recipe, and I've found a few things that will help me out with the wd thing, also.  Thomas and Dancing, you both are awesome (as all of you are).  The facts are the facts, though.  I know I can taper down to a point, but not down to zero -- so I've just accepted the fact that I'm probably not going to feel great for a few days -- better than not being free for the rest of my life!  Dancing, can you send me the Epsom Salt "recipe" (not that I'm sure there is an actual recipe, but I'd like to know how much you suggest using, etc.).  I'll be back later......
If the mother-to-be dosen't taper and quit as you have suggested, her baby will have withdrawal and possibly seizures. Hospitals are on the alert for this situation and they must call social services who will investigate before allowing her to take the baby home. She needs to come clean or get clean. Trust me on this. On the otherhand, she has come down to a low dose and is obviously looking to you for support. I think your advice was constructive and it is good that you are helping her. She wants to help herself or she wouldn't be here ... and that's a good thing.
Good post Golden. RobynBanks seemes to be in denial and (IMO), led Ms.Esha into believing that, (CPS, "child protection services",in my state) won't/can't interfere with her childs welfare, if born addicted to drugs! They CAN and WILL take her child in most of the states I know of, as you and others have also stated. Nogods had a valid and informative/supportive post, and, SHOULD NOT BE IGNORED as stated by RobynBanks. Sharonver, BLUE501 & g.g had informative and supportive posts also, as I thought mine was! We ALL are here to support and help you anyway we can Ms.Esha !!!!! We won't beat you up, we promise! Please re-read all the posts and put them to use! Please let all of us know how you are doing! Love, hugs, friends,... afriend.....
Hey sweetie, I can only imagine the pain, worry, guilt and burden you are carrying right now. Know this..you realize what you were doing, you admitted i, asked for help and now what you dofrom here is up to you, you CAN do this and I knw you will. Your baby has her/his own God and he is protecting it with his infinite love and light. Know that babies have suffered much worse and you are stopping in time and you will be OK. I am here if you need a friend ***@****
Blessings to you
Elizabeth
I will dhare in private what I did (not knowing I was pregnant) and my baby ended up being a gifted child by the grace of God. She is fine and is now a bratty 12 year old who thinks she IS GOD!!
I have been lurking on this site for several months now & never posted, but I have to offer whatever advice I can regarding being pregnant and addicted to painkillers.  I was addicted to vicodin (and whatever else I could get my hands on!) about six years ago, went through rehab and stayed clean for about five years.  I recently relapsed with Ultram and then found out I was pregnant.  I knew I couldn't take Ultram while I was pregnant, so I switched to vicodin and darvocet and then went cold turkey off of that at about six months into my pregnancy.  If you can avoid going CT I would because depending on the amount you are taking, it could be worse for you and the baby to have to endure that stress, both mental and physical. I was also told that taking narcotic painkillers while pregnant probably won't make your baby be deformed in any way, but there are other very good reasons to get off the vicodin asap.  I went into preterm labor at six months and almost lost my baby, and I wasn't even taking large doses of the vicodin or darvocet, and never took both at the same time. It scared me enough to quit, and now I have a perfect little girl who was born with no problems, and wasn't addicted.  I'm not trying to scare you or stress you out, I just wanted you to be aware so that you know how serious this can be.
I do have to offer another note of caution - if you can avoid it, do not take any pain medicine after you give birth (at least not after you leave the hospital).  I thought that I could handle it, but I'm back on vicodin again and am in the middle of trying to get off of it - AGAIN!  People always say that one is too many, and a thousand isn't enough and it is so true.  Once you are an addict, chances are you will never be able to take pain medicines again responsibly.  If I could turn back time I never would've accepted the perscription after I left the hospital, because now thinking about quitting while caring for a newborn is pretty overwhelming.  Hopefully it won't be that bad this time because I've only been taking them for a few weeks, but I really wish I had listened to that little voice in my head that was telling me I was making a mistake as I got that prescription filled.
I hope you can get through it and quit so that you give yourself and your baby a chance for a happy and healthy life.  Believe me, there is nothing scarier than being faced with losing your baby, especially when you know that it could've been avoided.  It will be very hard, but it will be so worth it.  If I could do it, I know you can too!  Recognizing that you have a problem is the first step, and you've already done that so you're part of the way there!  Ask for and accept whatever help you need, nobody will think badly of you for trying to do what is best for you and your baby.  I'll be thinking of you, and am always here if you need support.
Sweet Jesus Christ almighty saviour!
I was never saying that Child services wouldn't take a baby away if a mother is an addict-obviously, that would be part of the equation. DUH!
BUT....why bring it up?....I'm not PRO-scaring people. That's all. Chill out.
Amen etc...
Hi and welcome...That was a FINE post with many, many supportive and helpful comments.  You speak from much experience, and that wisdom carries a lot of weight.  It is obviously a volatile topic, but your common-sense approach gives much-needed insight to what's really important here.
  So, what is YOUR game plan at this time?  I think you said you wanted off  vikes again, but felt w/ a newborn, it would be next to imposible.  Perhaps you're right, since I recall getting little sleep those first weeks or months...But since no one can sleep while they're in W/D's, anyway, maybe we should rethink  your strategy!!! LOL
  Just know that whatever you want to do--I hope you keep posting--if for no other reason than you'll meet a lot of caring people here who will love you unconditionally and make no judgments. We are addicts who make no pretenses and realize we're none better than the other.
  So take care and keep in touch!   Peace, Peaz
Thank You Robyn for all the religous compliments! As not to boost my ego anymore, you may call me (afriend). But maybe we should tell Iraq that were going to drop snowflakes on them instead of bombs!.DUH! Sorry, this is not an addiction post!
Ok Guys enough menapausal moments!!!Peace to all!!Hope your all doing good in your recoveries,taperings or wds.I'm on day 6ct.wds and feel GREAT!!I can see my rainbow right in front of me!!So I hope everyone is doing good!Take care my friends and have a wonderful Monday!!    Jerri
I have been lurking on this site for so many months that it seems strange (but wonderful!) to finally have someone speaking directly to me - I wish I had started to post a long time ago!
I haven't come up with a game plan yet because I'm so scared and unsure of what will happen in regards to withdrawl (withdrawal).  I have two other little girls, 18 months and five years, and I know how hard it is to take care of them while going through withdrawl (withdrawal).  Of course, it's not exactly easy being an addict and a good mom either.  The worst part for me has always been the malaise - sometimes even getting off the couch to get one of my girls a snack or change a diaper seems impossible.  Also, another big obstacle for me is that I have three refills of vicodin left, and I know myself too well to think that I'll be able to just let them sit there at the pharmacy.  I read on this site about people who can actually quit with painkillers still in the house and I soooo wish I was able to do that.  I have never even been able to taper, I've always had to go CT.  The first time I did it I was in rehab and they loaded me up with valium for a week so that it would make the withdrawls easier.  This last time I was pregnant, so I couldn't take anything at all.  It wasn't fun, but it wasn't too bad because I wasn't taking nearly as much as I was the first time. I am still dumbfounded and disappointed in myself that I let it get to this point (about 8-10 a day on and off for the past three weeks).  I know I need to get over that and deal with it now or it will only get harder.  I am hoping that with the help and support of the people in this forum I'll be able to do it for good this time.  My first step is to come clean with my husband so that I can get his help.  
Also, do you (or anyone) have any suggestions as to what is a good alternative to opiates for tension headaches?  Migraine medicines don't work because they aren't migraines, but more like really bad chronic (almost every day) headaches.  I appreciate any and all advice!
You sound like me in the respect if their there I eat em!I too could not taper and if I had refills I wouldnt let them go to waste!No way would I leave em at the pharmacy!And to flush em down the toilet I'd probably dive in after them!NO JOKE!I was buying them off of a lady and she lost her perscription this time so I'm sooooooooooo glad cause now I'm day 6 of ct.wds.And feeling GREAT!Its hard but you can do it sweetie!!Do it for yourself first then children and hubby.You really sound like your ready again.This is my umpteenth time too so I know and others here just what your talking about.And can also see your delima(sp)as far as the refills go.Some of us just cant taper.I'll be praying for you to have the strength to get through tis!Take care and if I can help in anyway just let me know...                Jerri
Bloody Hell 'a friend'!....bombing a nation of people (including babies!) is nothing to make light of. What?..you only care about American babies?..don't worry, i'll say a prayer for you.
Yes Jerry2-enough already!...of the perco-pausal moments (substitute perco for vico...etc...).
You have been very helpful in my recovery 'afriend', its been very amusing-a humorous distraction. Now, you stay away from the pills because they tend to bring out the 'bitchiness' in you- something i'm sure God would not approve of.
Good luck to all and I hope the rainbow lasts forever Jerry2.
I have a beautiful grandbaby that is now 2 1/2 years old. My daughter was taking loritab about 20 (7.5 or 10) what ever she could get her hands on) when she found out she was about 2 months pregnant. I do have a story to tell and i would like for you to e-mail me at ***@****. I will be glad to share this with anyone that has time to read a very long story.
There is hope for you and your baby.....
Even if you have waited until now to post, you can still make up for lost time!! LOL
  With three kids, detox will be rough, but nothing is impossible.  It sounds like you're about to tell your husband, and maybe he can get a couple days off work during your worst w/d days, and the two of you could handle things, I bet. (heavy on the help from HIM   LOL)  Because, like you say, an addict mom isn't  all that terrific, either, and one has to keep the long-trem outcome in mind.  Believe me, your kids can live through 4-5 days of "space Mom".  God, it IS so hard to make yourself move, though... We have a lot of good, caring, and knowledgable people here who will offer every bit of help that we possibly can.
   As for the headaches, when I get stressed-out my neck and shoulders knot up in a big way, and I even wake up w/ a headache...What a way to start your day.   The best, long-lasting relief I get is from an adjustment from my chiropractor.  Sometimes I  may have to go twice. And sometimes I feel "beat up" after I've been there, but the outcome is worthwhile. But that's what I have to offer as a "non-narcotic" pain reliever.
      I place detoxing w/ a stash on hand in the same realm w  /  catching  the Easter Bunny........LOL  AIN'T gonna happen!!! When you decide to go for it, clean the **** out of your house, and make sure all refills are gone, expired, or otherwise unattainable FOR GOOD.  Whoever said they'd go diving in the commode to retrieve the swirling pills made me chuckle......What the **** am I laughing at???? I'd do the SAME thing!!! LOL   Keep writing--Peaz
PLEASE don't post to (me) here anymore with your senceless name calling, aqusations and statements! This forum is for people that need help! Feel free to call me whenever you want at  ***@****. This Forum Thanks You.
All this time, I thought I was the only one hearing those voices.
I have a suggestion...Lithium.

Peace
Kilo
No I'll never settle down. I think my blood pressure runs low actually. Kilo-listen to your inner voice(its a good thing)...don't block it out.
Anyhooooo...I appreciated what your saying. I will not continue this  sillyness. I just get sick of that "I'll pray for you....trust God"...**** that some peeps spew out.  Anyway May the Almighty Lord of L-Tyrosone and Saints of Clonodine be with you. Amen
NFM!

kILO
I'm sorry to interrupt this thread, but I've been looking all over for Thomas' Recipe.  Could someone tell me which thread it might be under?  Thanx a million.  I won't even get into my story again under this thread, boy, I wish these "tests" were never there to begin with.  Like "why did you climb the mountain............ It was there".  "Why did i get hooked on heroin, oxy's, etc,...... blah blah, get my hint, I'm sure, take care everyone. Peace, love and patience be with you.
what if i take vicodin for REAL PAIN ? I have had many knee surgeries and i am in pain all of the time and pregnant. what do i do? nothing else works. do i have to be in terrible pain  for 9 mos?
Talk to your doctor.. many women take pain pills while pregnant you just have to keep it to a low dose and keep your doctor aware of what is going on.. They are equipted to deal with this type of situation.. IF you are abusing them its a different story you would need to taper to the lowest dose with out being in pain or withdrawls.. withdrawls from opiates are worse for the baby
what is considered a low dose? i cant imagine not taking them for my pain. didnt plan on this pregnancy. i cannot function in my daily life with terrible knee pain. i must take them. help!
are you still here?
You doc will have to decide that for you.. Generally that means as prescribed so 1 every 4-6 hours.
i am one month pregnant a taking vicodin for terrible pain in my knee. i cant see having to stop to have a baby. i am not taking them for recreational use, i really need them to get through the day without too much pain. what should i do?
can i take it throughout  my pregnancy?
LULU--
Yes if your doctor approves you can continue taking them while pregnant. They know how to deal with this. 50% of babies are born with some addiction. the doctors will treat and monitor the baby after birth. The placenta protects the baby for the most part. It is rare that there are any serious complications.. and that is usually with harder street drugs like heroin and cocaine or even methodone.

Shawt--  You need to get into a treatment program for preganant woman ASAP... NO you cannot go cold turkey but I would not go the methodone route either.. Babies with methodone addiction is not a great thing. Find a treatment facility that you can go to to medically detox you safely..
Ok i just found out im pregnant and im am addicted to oxy's roxi's and heroin. I shoot it up and its alot. I snort them to whatever will get me high ive been tryin to get clean but i do anywhere between 15 to 20 pills a day. I know i cant stop just cold turkey but would bein in a methadome clinic taper program be any better? I dont want to loose my baby or have any complications and im scared to death i've kicked this habit once before and i was clean for a year but now ive been back on it for about 8 months... what do i do?!
Thanks  for your input. How do you know so much? My thing is..Is there really a Doc out there thats gonna say "okay,take pain medication while your pregnant"...even if it IS LEGITIMATE. I thought I was pregnant awhile back so I weaned down to 1 or 2 a day. But with bad pain came worse depression so I tried an anti-depressant...Wellbutrin. So then I was not only in pain from hardly any pain meds , I also felt like  murdering myself from a bad reaction to the Wellbutrin!!!!!
What I am trying to say is that I have tried everything else and the pain medication works for me. No side affects. What can I say to my doctor on tuesday that will convince her. I have ALL of my records of knee surgerys and knee replacement.
Thanks for your support
I gotta tell ya. I dont know you guys but it feels good just to get it out. I feel so guilty.
Like I said before lots of women take it while pregnant and even get it prescribed by their OB's while pregnant.. being in pain also is not great for the baby so taking something to control it is better.. You shouldn't need to convice your OB..
thanks for your imput i really appreciate it. I cant talk to my family about it because they dont know that i relapsed. I went to the clinic the other day and i have a pelvic infection which caused my test to come out negative. i just hope everything is okay
hey its lulubella are you there? i went to my OBGYN and told her that I am taking vicodin for chronic knee pain. was is it with this medication? dont people realize that some people really do use it for what it is  for? anyway, she asked me how many a day and i told her "as directed". so i take one in the morning, one in the early afternoon,  one late afternoon and one before bed. she said she wasnt familiar with norco but we would talk more about it in two weeks when i go back. she said as long as your taking it sparinlgy. Is that sparingly? i am sooo upset but continue to be in pain. i dont know what to do.
yes taking it as directed is sparingly... 4 per day is a low normal dose.. I wouldn't worry hun.. You did the right thing by talking to your doctor..
what will that "as directed " amount do to a baby in the belly? will it be addicted? born addicted?
There is a 50% chance of physical addiction to the baby. Alot of women I have seem post said there babies didn't have any at all..and were healthly.. The placenta protects the baby from stuff like this.. There is higher chance of addiction with heroin or methodone.. a much lower chance with pills like you are taking. If and I do mean a big IF.. your baby was born addicted.. it would be a small amount and just cause fussiness and trouble sleeping.. The doctors monitor the baby for this. And they have a protocol for how to handle it..
I know you are worried.. I would be too.. However.. you being in pain will put much more stress on the baby than the pills will. And stopping the pills will put too much stress on the baby. Trust your doctor and stay at a low dose.. You are not an addict. You are a dependent person that needs pills for better quality of life. Free from pain.

If you need to talk.. my email is in my profile.. just click on my screen name its blue
I was on pain meds during all my pregnancies.  My last pregnancy my OB had me on Norco 10s and said I could take it every 4 hours.  When I was going through really bad pain he even said 3 hours was okay.
I am wondering if someone can help me out?   I know someone who has custody of there grandbaby right now because the daughter in law said she was taking tylenol with codiene but the drug tox on the baby came back with cocaine.  Does anyone know if these are in the same family and would they test the same in the baby?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Can anyone tell me how long it takes for hydrocodone to leave your body to past a drug test?
Sounds like someone needs to start using again. You know who you are !
Cocaine and Codeine are completely different drugs. If the baby tested positive for cocaine (or the metabolite of cocaine), the mother would have had to have done it a day or two before the birth. It depends on the test. A mecomium test is more accurate for testing past drug use in the baby, a urine is the most simple and can be done at any hospital; meconium tests are more expensive and harder to access.  If the woman was only taking tylenol with codeine there would be no cause for alarm as this drug is routinely prescribed for pregnant women with pain (I broke my tailbone in pregnancy and was on tylenol #2). It the mother was only taking codeine and she was doing nothing wrong, then they would not be testing in the first place. They would have to specifically test for cocaine so they must have had suspicions or cause to believe the mother was abusing drugs. To answer your questions: no, they would not test the same. Someone  is not being straight with you. I hope that helps and I hope the baby and mother are ok.
i need some help i am very worried i broke my foot and ankel at 19 weeks i am now 30 weeks pregnent i have been taking about 3 10/325 percsets a day since it happened if i stop takeing them now will my baby be born addicted
you posted on a really old post!  You should be okay - your baby may have mild withdrawal but as long as you tell the hospital about the medication, which was perscribed to you, they will know to watch the baby for withdrawals (they do something call Finnegan scoring and if it's high they taper morphine to prevent w/d in the baby)
Good LUck!
HOW SAFE IS METHODONE TO WITHDRAW FROM HEROIN WHILE PREEGNANT OR SHOULD I TAKE VALIUM?
help,im scared, 4 months pragnet and i used roxys. in the first11 weeks i was doing no more then 70mg a day and and between 12 wk to 16 weeks i did no more then 30 mgs i been with out for 2 days and plan on stayen clean, im worried about the baby being down syundrum or some thing plz all pray for this soul. thanks
I've been on vicodin for about 2 years. I take 3 to 6 (7.5mg) a day sometimes more depending on the day. I just found out i'm  pregnant
i have't went to the Dr. yet but i'm about 4 wks. I have heard its bad for the baby to go cold turkey. HELP want should i do. I'm going to go to the Dr.and ask him but i just wanted to find out what other people have done about this problem. Thank you!!
you have posted on a really old thread. i send you a private message.
I am a certified FASD educator (Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders)  I have been lisitening to prenant moms cry out for help espeically for their unborn baby.  I counsel pre/post natal mothers everyday on the dangers of consuming alcohol and drugs during pregnancy.  I have witnessed the devasting-life time effects on babies.  A baby is a gift from god and he trusts us with these gifts; to love, care and nuture our children.  Introduing these fetus to crack, cocaine oxycotin, perocets and whatever your choice of drug is ALL totally wrong.  Don't rely on the placenta to screen out drugs - it all ready has an important job to do - drugs can break down the placenta also.  Baby exposed to alcohol/drugs will have a life time of complications - their brains will be robbed of precious neurotransmitters and they will be faced with a life time of learning challenges.  Did you ever see a baby de-tox themselves when born addicted to drugs - its not pretty it the scareist thing I have ever witnessed.  These babies are in some much pain its just so unimaginable!!!   Please if you need advise or help let me know.  When you see your doc and he prescribes these drugs ask him what effect will it have on your baby.  Actually in the first place he shouldn't be prescribing naractoics to pregnant moms.  If you have pains ask your doc to referr you to a massage clinic or orthpedic speicalist so that they could give you relef opposed to drugs.  Its only for 9 months and your healthy well nourished addicited-free baby will thank you for the rest of its LIFE!!!!!
hi, i looked up vicodin and it said that it can cause birth defects especially cardiovascular in babies if taken in the first trimester of preg. Has anyone heard of that?
im 36 weeks pregnant and getting ready to deliver anytime. ive had alot of pain in my pregnancy and it is a high risk pregnancy, because my cervix was incompitent from a few cervical cancer surgerys. im been on vicodin the whole pregnancy, prescribed by the doctor. can it hurt my baby or can social services take it from me? i am a grest and loving mother. in 5 days the doctor is taking out my cerclage, which is the stitch in my cervix, and ill probably go into labor. will the hydrocodone be in my babys system if i stop now and will they take my baby?
Hi. I don't have any experience with vicodin. But I was in a similar guilt-filled situation. My twin daughters had just turned one, done breastfeeding I started smoking cigarrettes and pot. A few months later we found out we had a suprise pregnancy. Stress of two babies and thought of another on way definately increased both my habits. my husband and I were overwhelmed, not sure if we could hand another, emotionally, finacnially etc! He and I had long hard conversations about what to do. He would say, you want to have this baby but you are slowly killing it with cigarettes! Ugh. Knife through the heart! Several months went by and we decided to keep it. During that time I smoked a lot! Of everything. Of course I hid this from everyone, even my husband. I hid behind my car in a parking lots so noone would see me. I felt so guilty. I needed to quit of course, but couldn't. Easy to stop the smoking weed, but cigarrettes I could not. I read about what it does to the baby, didn't stop me. Had nightmares, didn't stop me. I lied to everyone. Finally I asked a doctor I hadn't seen before (and never wanted to see again!) what to do. I broke down. I needed help big time. He sent me to a specialist (a pulmonologist who did smoking cessation) and put my embarrassment, guilt aside and begged for her help. So hard to do! Felt like biggest piece of white trash ignorant mom before but she knew about addiction and didn't judge me. She came up with a plan using wellbutrin, patch and support groups (didn't go because I would have been only one preggers-how dumb is that ***** everyone would say? The combo and dosage and time period was made so that we limited amount wellbutrin baby got. Better to have this med than whole pregnancy of nicotine.

Guess I want to say that there may be a doctor/nurse practioner who can help you with how to do it safely for you and your baby. TerriT's post above is all good info, but I am sure you know that its harmful. What is really needed is someone who understands addiction and will treat that for you and the baby...nonjudgementally! Not sure who that would be for vicodin, maybe a doctor at a rehab/addiction treatment center. Most of them have been there and won't make you feel like a baby killer or a terrible mom!! Believe me that is not helpful to someone who struggles with this kind of addiction. It has the opposite effect I think. And that makes you feel bad...do moe drug, smoke more cigarretes, lines etc.

You are a good mom just for wanting the help! There will be a thousand times when you will fail or make mistakes as a parent. Its how you deal and learn and change that really matters. You can do it. But proper, nonjudgmental support and guidance is key!

After a lot of worries about my baby even after I quit, he was born at a normal birth weight and 100% healthy. I thanked God for putting such key people in my life to stop earlier rather than later. Hang in there. I know it won't be easy. Its your first big parenting challenge...you ar eup for it!
I was addicted to herion which is similar to vicodin/oxycotin when i was pregnant. Actually I went back and forth from that to suboxone which is a ************** for opioid dependence. I stayed on suboxone throughout my pregnancy lowering the dosage as i went. by the end i was on  .5 mgs which is the smallest dosage you can be on and my baby was born healthy with no withdraws. Maybe you could even get completely off it before it is born. Most doctors will tell you to that methadone is the preferred treatment for pregnant moms but I think it is a harder drug. It's almost like a sedative - passing out all the time. There is not alot of research on suboxone and pregnancy and I'm not saying that it is the choice for everybody. By all means clean sober pregnancy with no drugs of any kind is the best. Most antidepressants cause major heart deffects in babies. I'm just telling you my experience. I was petrified by the whole sittuation when i found out i was pregnant on drugs. Now that i had my baby, life has changed and I don't want drugs. for the first time in years i don't want drugs. All i want is my baby's smiling face and a normal life. I am happy.
if you r  legally perscribed how in the world will the child be taken away i to found out im pregnant and now i have to taper down but my doctor said i can stay on my pain meds through whole pregnancy i dont want to i hope the best for all who are going threw this and realy need advice prayers and someone to talk to i mean it is scary and i feel like it can cause damage to a infant so im trying my best to taper and quit hope to find some friends here who knows what  im going through thanks
im 5 weeks pregnant and i take anywere frum 2 to 4 roxys a day if i just stop takin them will it hurt my baby or will my baby go thru wds im scared an i dnt know what to do about this
Hi I was reading yur post and thought id give u some feedback! My doc actully prescribed me vicodin for migraines. I have no scientific proof to back this up, but before the beginning of doctors knowing what was safe and what was not. Pregnant women were not restricted to drink or do anthing that thy claim harmful now. Everytime I do research I've NEVER found anything negative as to alcohol and marijuana use! Hope that helped! I know I didn't have much medical proof to back it, have faith and you baby will be fine!:)
I was on Morhine sulfate during my pregnancy with my 5th child, y Drs kept me on th meds cuz they were afraid the withdrawls would of caused me to loose the baby. When she was born 2 weeks early she was born addicted & they had to keep her in the hospital for a month & wean her off with liquid methadone, Today she is a healthy happy & beautiful 6 yr old but it was probablly the hardest & most painful thing I have ever gone through in my life watching what it did to her, & not being able to bring her home right away. If anyone out there that is using & is pregnant find a way to get help, to get off or something, It will be the hardest thing in the world to watch your baby go thru something so violent because of what we ourselves are doing, If you can slow your intakes & wean yourself off while pregnant even better, but depending on everyones usages etc everyone is different & the outcome can be worse if not deadly to your child. I pray for all of you that you & your children will recovery safely with no long term affects. Just know what your getting into & whats ahead for you & your babies. Good Luck.
Let me tell you my nephews story and how I found this site:  I came to this site looking for information that might help my nephew. I have custody of him due to his mother being an oxicotin/methodone addict. She has admitted doing oxicotin (about 40 mg day) while pregnant. She was actually smaller at nine monthspregnant than she was before getting pregnant. When the baby was born he was very skinny but long. He did not like to be touched, had cying tantrums that were simular to collic symptoms but we now iit was withdrawals. This was 6 years ago and before babies were tested. Now in Alabama new borns are tested for opiants and DHR is called if they are found in the infants system. In most cases, the babies are taken from Mothers and put in relatives homes or foster care but  in some cases they are left with the mothers. It all depends on the circumstances. In my nephew case it took 4 years for DHR to take him. He now has ADHD symptoms but also has quite a few symptoms of other disorders. He is a beautiful child (10 finger/10 toes and the longest eyelashes you have ever seen on a boy.) He is very moody, He throws tantrums for no reason. He gets aggressive at times. He lies, steels and is very sneaky. His symptoms are way more bazzar than I can explain. He has been to 2 Dr's. a psychologist and in January will go to a child psychiatrist. So in answer to your question, "heck yes, opiants causes children to have very serious issues". Please stop slowly and stop for good. Please don't bring another addicted child into this world. It is painful enough to live "normal" if there is a true normal but it's not fair for kids to suffer because of their parents addictions. From investigating my nephew's problems and knowing other kids with similar problems, I have found that most become teen addicts and suicidal. It also does not help the children when they are taken from their mothers homes. They get very insecure and that causes problems also. But it is also bad for the child to live with an addicted mom because they become the caretakers and go into a survival mode that causes issues as well. I've been researching Attachement Disorders and believe that  my nephew's symptoms are very similar.  I'm so concerned for my nephew. I hope he does not become a statistic. As long as I'm breathing I will be looking for ways to help him.  
i am also addicted to vicoden i take 3 to 4 at a time and maby 3 or 4 times a day. I have been taking them 4 a few years and now i am 4 months pregnant. I have tried to stop bc i am scared of what could happen. When I tried it was like I couldnt do anything I dont want to move I am just drained and in a bad mood constantly.Even at night its like my body spasems or something I dont know how to explain it but it doesnt feel good and i have to curl up into a ball. I am scared to tell my doctor because my best friend said they will  take my baby and the 1 I have he is 2. I am a single mom and I work 3rd shift so its like they gave me the energy I need. I cant lose my babys I am really scared I am going to try to stop cold turkey but i know it will be hard. I jus became dependant bc they made all my problems go away when i lost my other job of 5 years i was buying a house n car n i owned my own furniture everything was perfect..well i lost my job bc my mom nor sons dad(he was 5 months) would watch him and i pointed out..after i lost everything every1 abandoned me and i jus started taking them n they made me feel better now i have another house and car and just paid off my tv and furniture but i am still struggling with this, my friend says im depressed and i believe i take them to feel better but i dont know what to do bc i feel like i cant function wo them, it does not effect my son tho he is well taken care of he has everything and anything i have *** a long way for my baby i even worked 2 jobs 4 his bday and x mas i jus now i have a problem and i am really  scared ne advise?
Well I don't know where y'all are from but I am a mother of three and pregnant with my forth I am on oxycodone and I was on it my last pregnancy.I'm from NY but my last pregnancy I tried to wean myself off because I was afraid of harming the baby every ob even high risk Dr told me it was not allowed to be taken while pregnant the would stop me cold Turkey but I had very bad withdrawal but I had enough of my old prescription to make it threw I started to wean my self off but was still getting very sick to the point I was hospitalized then finally I changed ob and she sent me to a pain doctor and the pain doctor told me I was crazy for trying to wean my self off and she asked me why I was doing it I told her I didn't want to hurt baby she said I was doing more harm and that the baby would be OK and that the baby would be a little. Sleepy when born but the meds. Would be out her system in few hours all and all my daughter is fine she actually was more advanced than most babies her age when it came to certain mile stone like sitting standing talking etc very active little one going to be 2 April 2011
I am sorry your going through all the addiction stuff.I to am an addict of opiots and I to am pregnant.it is not a joke at all! I deal with it everyday.I take vics as well.If u can it is important to stay away from the oxy.I take a few vics a day to not be sick.some days it feels like its not cutting it so I take a couple more.I talked to my doc about it and trust me u can get help.it is hard and I feel ime being tosted around all the time to different people.I use to take WAY more suff than just vics but I stopped everything else the day I found I was pregnant.it does help to no that ime not alone and I hope the best to u and your new baby!:-)
Someone please help me im pregnant and addicted to perks i want to stop but the pain is real bad plus the pregnant sickness i need help im very depressed
I love this post. you inspire me with your unconditional love and support. I am 1 month pregnant and desperately trying to muster up the courage to start weaning off opiates. I have tried several times, even got on subutex for a while, but could never handle withdrawal and always went back.  When you said God is protecting her baby with light, i felt it in my heart that that is absolute truth. I am always afraid of judgement, only my husband knows of my problem. I thank God for people like you and all these others who give only love. Thank you for brightening my night.  
It is more than likely that the child would only be removed from the mother if and only if she was a danger to her self or the baby because of the addiction. People do take pain pills while pregnant for legitimate pain and are instructed to do so by their doctor. By no fault of their own an addiction may form because of this but this does not mean that the child will be taken as a result.The mother's who are cold hard addicts and have nothing to offer the child may experience issues with Children's Protective Services. There is a major difference between a mother who feels trapped and hopeless to her addiction and a mother who uses with out remorse and has made no effort to quit. Generally this is an obvious observation for the hospital staff to make.

If quitting were easy there would not be sites like this.
i have 2 children and one one the way. i was on vicoden with both of my children and this one as well. my first 2 were just fine. I have been on it for many years. I have pancriantitas and massive flair up with many other associated problems. im on about 4 a day. I see specialists as well. i have been in the hospital with this baby a few times for different things and they come back and say we found an opiate and i tell them what for and why..and they show no concern of any..i read all these posts about babies being taken i would guess thats for women that they dont know are taking them right?
You guys are so sweet!  Could you please give me your thoughts on my familys situation.  We are all very close and don't have any birth defects in our family.  We tend to stick to diseases.  I have Lupus.  Anyway, my cousin had two normal children while living here in our home town.  Her husband was in the chemical business (sales office for the first two children) and was later asked to move to the corporate office about 3 hours away.  About a year or so after the move, my cousin got pregnant.  She had some dental work done and not knowing she was pregnant, took a (1) loritab.  

The trisomy baby was born with Cereal Palsy and many other things.  I don't remember the # on the chromosomes when things went wrong ... but she blames herself due to the dental work and the loritab.  From what I can tell, statistics point to the father & chemicals.  Not that it really matters, that little girl is a scream and we love her to death!  I would like to help my cousin with the guilt.  Not really by shifting blame to daddy-O, which is not the way to handle any problem.  But, given the fact that he handled all this by cheating on her and divorcing her, I don't think she needs to be concerned about his thoughts on the matter.  He will never know that she blames his job and she could get some much needed relief from letting go of the guilt.

The child is now 12 and has already been to a dance with a normal boy because he said her smile and red curly hair made him love to be around her ... she's such a flirt!  She's on the cover of most local CP magazines.  She's ALL THAT!!

So, as for my cousin's guilt ... butt out???  butt in?  They had all the test run years ago & they were not conclusive.  What do U think?  Thank you so much for your thoughts!!  :0)

Pull5711
You posted this on an old thread, so it is hard for it to be seen.   If you want to post a question, please start a new thread, but I will give you my unofficial advice as to one loratab causing the little girl's birth defect.   No.   It didn't.

I wouldn't even blame the father and chemicals.   Whatever the reason....sometimes we just don't know the reasons....it does no good to blame ourselves or anyone.   Sometimes God just has different plans for us.

I would butt out.   At this stage of the game, it is a moot point.  Love the little girl as she is, and treat her like any other human being.   If your cousin needs to research the cause of the cerebral palsy, it is up to her to do it on her own, or with her doctors.
On the bottom of the face page
empress, while very helpful the person you are talking to hasn't posted in 9 years.
Pls. Tell me your story. My girlfriend is addicted to vicodin with my first child she takes anywhere from 10 to 12 (7.5)mg a day. It's still early enough to abort. But, I really want my child. Pls help if you can?
I'm currently 4 days past my due date and I have a half broken tooth, the pain was so unbearable I self medicated a half norco...I'm not covered by any insurance so I can't just go to the dentist or doctor, I'm extremely worried about the doctors thinking I'm an addict...the pain is still there but not as severe I believe it's an infection/abscess under the half broken tooth, what I'm trying to get at is....do you think CPS will get involved
Are you a doctor/nurse? Do you work for childcare services? If not, please stop stressing this poor woman out. You shouldn't post such horribly scary things to a mother to be. She isn't a severe heroin addict nor is she in ANY way a bad person. A woman in her condition will not have her baby taken away. It just wont happen. There is a TON of legality involved in such a situation and for a woman on 5-6 10 mg. a day, it isn't a HUGE deal.

Just ween off. You have a little time to get clean. Use it wisely. cut your pills into quarters and start there. Take 1 quarter less every 2 days. You'll be off in no time! BUT STAY AWAY FROM THE OXY'S! Get rid of them some how. They will not help you ween off b/c a 40mg Oxy will give you the "high" of about 5-6 Hydro. you want less. not the same and certainly not more. Good Luck!