Abusing Cough Syrup (DXM)

I've been abusing cough syrup for about a year now and I've got to the point where I really need to stop. Its really ridiculous that I have to go to a pharmacy every week just function. I don't even do it to get high anymore. This is when I realized I'm addicted. I'm wondering what or how I can stop this addiction and if anyone has some resources I could use to help.

Hi! I don't have any Experiance with dxm but I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question. It's good that you've decided to stop because I know it's really bad for your liver and can have really awful long term effects! Keep asking for support and I'm sure you can get through it!
That's an addiction like anyone else here has. I also don't have experience with that but I can say of all addictions...you need to be honest with everyone about you and let all pharmacies know not to sell you the cough syrup. That's the hard part about your addiction..you don't need a script or a dealer you can just go and buy it. That's why you need to be proactive and let all pharmacies know about you. It's a hard call to make but if you are serious about quitting, very necessary. Good luck and I hope you take the advice you are given here by everyone....
I am addicted to OTC cough meds (DXM).  I take it daily and no longer take it to get high.  I have tried to quit before and still feel compelled to take it.  It cures my boredom and anxiety. I've found a few other people on this forum who are addicted to DXM. But I haven't found anyone who's quit.  It's very difficult to quit since its so accessible.  Good luck.  You may want to go to your local NA meetings.  Let me know if you have success quitting.  I'd love to hear a success story.
Hi and welcome to the forum! This cab tricky as your DOC is so accessible. I think some things you should ask yourself is why do you want quit? How's this drug affecting your life? How do you feel being controlled by a drug? Those are just examples of some questions to ask yourself to get leverage against this drug. There's going to be alot of triggers for you. Like almost all drug stores will be a trigger. It really does sound like you want to quit. I've know people that were addicted to dxm. This one friend who was insanely smart after two years of using dxm at crazy high doses has problems with his thoughts and putting together sentences. It's hard for him to have a covers action with another person that makes sense.

NA meetings could help but also I think therapy would be good for you too because just like all us other addicts there is a reason why you like this drug. In most cases it's feeling a need or want that's missing in your life but it's just a lie. As soon as the drug wears off you feel more empty than before. Doesn't matter what drug you are using. Addiction doesn't discriminate. This forum is a grat place to start and get some help and direction.  Wish you luck! Keep posting here on what path you're taking.